New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

1 hour ago, crusin'k said:

Not new to HAL, but do have a question.  If we pre-purchase the internet package, do we both have to buy it.  Hubby never uses internet, but I do.  

No, you both don’t need to buy it. As far as I can recall, the only thing you BOTH have to purchase is the Have It All package. If one purchases it, both parties in the cabin have to purchase it. 

Thanks for the tip on the keys. DH and I are always together checking in so never a need to know and our last HAL cruise was Aug 2019 the last one before covid and we had 3 canceled in 2020.

We are slowly trying to catch up but the HAL cruise is really for our DD as Christmas/birthday gift if she was willing to share a room. We weren't paying for a solo. So we fly in from Boston and she is flying in from Anchorage

1 hour ago, lb0103 said:

Thanks for the tip on the keys. DH and I are always together checking in so never a need to know and our last HAL cruise was Aug 2019 the last one before covid and we had 3 canceled in 2020.

We are slowly trying to catch up but the HAL cruise is really for our DD as Christmas/birthday gift if she was willing to share a room. We weren't paying for a solo. So we fly in from Boston and she is flying in from Anchorage

Wow. Can she change her flights to the day before?. A day of flight is always risky, but that’s a long way 

2 hours ago, Navybikermom said:

No, you both don’t need to buy it. As far as I can recall, the only thing you BOTH have to purchase is the Have It All package. If one purchases it, both parties in the cabin have to purchase it. 

Beverage packages must be purchased by both parties even if not part of HIA.

But not internet  @Cruisin'K you are free to purchase w/o him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Beverage packages must be purchased by both parties even if not part of HIA.

But not internet  @Cruisin'K you are free to purchase w/o him.

Do you happen to know how many devices you can add onto the multi-device premium internet package? My husband was planning to purchase this for his phone & laptop. Could we upgrade and add my phone as a third device? Thx. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ileneilene123 said:

Do you happen to know how many devices you can add onto the multi-device premium internet package? My husband was planning to purchase this for his phone & laptop. Could we upgrade and add my phone as a third device? Thx. 

Not Halo1935 but the answer is as many devices as you wish but only four devices can be connected at any one time on a single Premium Multi-Device Plan.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

We are skipping the HIA but may possibly bring wine on board. What is the boarding process if you want to carry on 1-2 bottles of wine & pay the $20 ea. corkage fee? Or, to carry on the permitted 6 liters of bottled water — can it be sparkling water, or only still? 

Can you bring your own bottle of wine to the table in the MDR? Or, even just pour a glass to enjoy elsewhere on the ship? Are there places on board where you’re not permitted to do this? Thx. 

Edited by Ileneilene123

On 4/7/2024 at 11:45 AM, terrydtx said:

My DW ordered cream for her coffee on room service on out last cruise and swore it was canned condensed milk.

To be pedantic for a moment, probably evaporated milk, which is unsweetened.  Condensed milk is always sweetened.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

To be pedantic for a moment, probably evaporated milk, which is unsweetened.  Condensed milk is always sweetened.

Sorry my bad it seemed to be evaporated canned milk.

• Like 1

New to the boards here.  

My parents were gifted a cruise (all expenses) and decided to go to Alaska in mid August aboard the Westerdam.  They are both up there in age and my dad doesn't get around all that well so we have decided to go with them to help them out with getting around so they can enjoy the experience.

We are not totally new to cruising but it's been a decade or two since we've hit the water.  After some reading we just booked our Alaskan cruise.

I've been reading a lot on open dining vs. assigned.   Seems that I've read more posts about long lines with open seating but assigned you know when to show up and not wait.  

But open seating you can pretty much choose your own time.   We rarely have dinner after 6pm and like the idea of eating when we want but the elderly parents standing in a long line for dinner is a big draw back.    Right now we have open seating.

The parents have priority boarding.  Can we squeeze in with them on that?  Is priority boarding a benefit?

The parents booked a Neptune suite with the HIA plan.   We booked a verandah aft room so we can watch the wake.   We didn't buy the HIA because we rarely drink.  That said, can we tag along on the parents internet service included in the HIA they bought?

Not sure if I have done well for the first booking in decades, but I'm trying.  

Any other tips to read up on that will enhance our cruise experience?

5 minutes ago, jmbstudios said:

But open seating you can pretty much choose your own time.   We rarely have dinner after 6pm and like the idea of eating when we want but the elderly parents standing in a long line for dinner is a big draw back.    Right now we have open seating

I am answering from my current experience on the Koningsdam.  I don't know whether the Westerdam will be the same.  We have open seating and it's been quite annoying to try to get into the dining room when we want.  The good part is that your parents won't have to stand in a long line.  You all will be given a beeper to notify you when your table is ready.  Or you can make reservations.  We just learned today that the dining room closes reservations at 4 PM.  So it will be another night for us of waiting for a table.  In your case, since you seldom eat dinner after 6 PM, why not switch to fixed dining and avoid the hassle of waiting and/or making reservations?  The only downside to that is your early dining time might interfere with shore excursions.  

Perhaps someone with more HAL experience than I will tell you how you can work around that situation if you choose fixed dining. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jmbstudios said:

...We are not totally new to cruising but it's been a decade or two since we've hit the water.  After some reading we just booked our Alaskan cruise.

I've been reading a lot on open dining vs. assigned.   Seems that I've read more posts about long lines with open seating but assigned you know when to show up and not wait.  

But open seating you can pretty much choose your own time.   We rarely have dinner after 6pm and like the idea of eating when we want but the elderly parents standing in a long line for dinner is a big draw back.    Right now we have open seating.

The parents have priority boarding.  Can we squeeze in with them on that?  Is priority boarding a benefit?

The parents booked a Neptune suite with the HIA plan...  That said, can we tag along on the parents internet service included in the HIA they bought?

...Any other tips to read up on that will enhance our cruise experience?

Welcome to CC! And to Alaska - AK is amazing.

I'll answer a couple questions.

*Fixed vs Open dining - since y'all prefer not to eat after 6pm or wait in line, just switch to Early Dining so you have a guaranteed table at the same time every night. It fills quickly, so you should change now as it will likely be full if you wait until you're on board. If there are any nights you're still on excursion, you can always do Lido or room service those nights.

*Priority boarding - parents have it by way if their suite. If they need assistance, you can board w/them to help, but not cool to hop a free ride (think of all the people who spent years & $$ money earning that benefit)

*Internet - if you and parents don't need to be on the internet at the same time, you can just use their log in; that's what DH and I do.

*Free Laundry - parents have free laundry by way of their suite. Pack less and use the laundry service; HAL has the best laundry service in the industry!!

*Concierge Lounge - parents have this by way of their suite - encourage them to use it often, it will really enhance their cruise.

Safe travels- enjoy your cruise!

13 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Welcome to CC! And to Alaska - AK is amazing.

I'll answer a couple questions.

*Fixed vs Open dining - since y'all prefer not to eat after 6pm or wait in line, just switch to Early Dining so you have a guaranteed table at the same time every night. It fills quickly, so you should change now as it will likely be full if you wait until you're on board. If there are any nights you're still on excursion, you can always do Lido or room service those nights.

*Priority boarding - parents have it by way if their suite. If they need assistance, you can board w/them to help, but not cool to hop a free ride (think of all the people who spent years & $$ money earning that benefit)

*Internet - if you and parents don't need to be on the internet at the same time, you can just use their log in; that's what DH and I do.

*Free Laundry - parents have free laundry by way of their suite. Pack less and use the laundry service; HAL has the best laundry service in the industry!!

*Concierge Lounge - parents have this by way of their suite - encourage them to use it often, it will really enhance their cruise.

Safe travels- enjoy your cruise!

Thank you for the reply.  I think the fixed dining will be the way to go.

As far as priority boarding, we will be helping with my dad and getting him on the ship as best we can.    We just want to make sure they will allow this.  Not looking for a free ride.

I will have to tell them about the laundry service.

What are the benefits to them in the Concierge Lounge?

I appreciate the tips.

5 minutes ago, jmbstudios said:

As far as priority boarding, we will be helping with my dad and getting him on the ship as best we can.    We just want to make sure they will allow this.  Not looking for a free ride.

I appreciate the tips.

The lounge is another place to "chill" and hang out, their cabin cards will open the door. There are drinks & snacks they can enjoy there or take out (to their cabin or elsewhere). A huge benefit of the lounge is the Concierge service - they can help w/everything from arranging dining & excursion bookings to maintenance requests, fresh flowers to just about anything parents may think of, they do a great job. 

Oh, I almost forgot one of the best perks for parents will be breakfast in Pinnacle Grill,  you won't be able to join them, but they really should try to go at least once. There's no additional charge and it's a nice treat for suite guests only 

2 minutes ago, jmbstudios said:

I appreciate the tips.

If you are not able to change to Fixed dining the Concierge in the Neptune Lounge would be the best bet for getting it changed onboard. There are two of them and they can work magic sometimes to get things for you. There are light snacks and drinks available during the day. Unfortunately, you will not be able to use the lounge as it is reserved for Neptune Suites and the Pinnacle Suite. Depending on the ship your parents will be able to eat breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, jmbstudios said:

Does your father need a wheelchair to board? Would it help him with standing, and sometimes a long walk? 
If so, he can bring an attendant along to assist him. As in you. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Does your father need a wheelchair to board? Would it help him with standing, and sometimes a long walk? 
If so, he can bring an attendant along to assist him. As in you. 

Yes, I will be putting him in a wheel chair to get him situated on the ship.  I believe my mom has already requested one to be at the ready.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jmbstudios said:

Yes, I will be putting him in a wheel chair to get him situated on the ship.  I believe my mom has already requested one to be at the ready.

Problem solved. They each get a helper! 

• Like 1

When our cruise gets back to Port in Seattle on the last day, I believe it docks around 8am.    Our flight backnto Arizona leaves at 3pm.     Is that a pretty time allotment to disembark and get to the airport?

Thank you.

7 minutes ago, jmbstudios said:

When our cruise gets back to Port in Seattle on the last day, I believe it docks around 8am.    Our flight backnto Arizona leaves at 3pm.     Is that a pretty time allotment to disembark and get to the airport?

Thank you.

That is a generous window. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jmbstudios said:

Thank you.

And if I'm not mistaken, Seattle has free Port Valet where they will transfer your checked luggage from the ship to your airline.

Details

3 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

And if I'm not mistaken, Seattle has free Port Valet where they will transfer your checked luggage from the ship to your airline.

Details

They do - we use it every time; it's great.

• Thanks 1