New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

13 hours ago, Ileneilene123 said:

Is there a dedicated CO number I could try as well in addition to the Centurion number? 

7 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

You could call Ships Inventory. I do not have the number handy and can look it up if someone else doesn't post it for you.

Ship services is 800-541-1576. I'm about to call them about my own issue. By the way, you can get a different PCC. I did that a few months ago, and am very pleased.

• Thanks 2

This will be our first cruise with HAL (and 2nd cruise ever), sailing mid-May on Vaandam. I have a very specific question for the ladies in this group regarding the hair dryers in the cabins. Do they include a defusser attachment, and if not, would I have any issues with bringing a travel size hair dryer of my own?

Thank you to all the wonderful people in these groups. I've learned so much already. 

On 3/29/2024 at 4:46 PM, islandwoman said:

I am booked on a 22 day HAL circle Hawaii cruise.  Should I expect theme nights?  What should I take along for them?  

There will be at least one Orange Party and passengers are encouraged to wear orange items on that evening (9:00 PM is normal start time).  Shops will also have orange items for sale.

At one party, I spotted someone with a huge, orange, fish hat and did not have my phone at hand to take a photo.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, FishyMom1967 said:

Do they include a defusser attachment, and if not, would I have any issues with bringing a travel size hair dryer of my own?

There was not an attachment provided in the cabins/ships I have been on. I believe you are allowed to bring hair dryers.

• Like 1

I injured my arm, and as part of my physical therapy I’ve been using a heating pad after doing my exercises. I checked the FAQs list of prohibited items, and I do not see that this specifically would not allowed to be brought on board. 

anyone have any experience with this?

8 hours ago, Ready2go11 said:

I injured my arm, and as part of my physical therapy I’ve been using a heating pad after doing my exercises. I checked the FAQs list of prohibited items, and I do not see that this specifically would not allowed to be brought on board. 

Contact HAL.  They probably have something in the medical center that you could use there.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, FishyMom1967 said:

This will be our first cruise with HAL (and 2nd cruise ever), sailing mid-May on Vaandam. I have a very specific question for the ladies in this group regarding the hair dryers in the cabins. Do they include a defusser attachment, and if not, would I have any issues with bringing a travel size hair dryer of my own?

Thank you to all the wonderful people in these groups. I've learned so much already. 

Welcone to HAL!

No diffuser and yes you can bring your own hair dryer.

Edited by Haljo1935
Additional comment

Is it customary to change for dinner on smart casual nights?  Or can I just show up in the same clothing (turtleneck, pants, tennis shoes) that I've been wearing all day, and still fit in?  I have some dressier blouses that I bought just for dinners on cruises, but I don't think they're going to fit into my suitcase 😒

36 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

Is it customary to change for dinner on smart casual nights?  Or can I just show up in the same clothing (turtleneck, pants, tennis shoes) that I've been wearing all day, and still fit in?  I have some dressier blouses that I bought just for dinners on cruises, but I don't think they're going to fit into my suitcase 😒

As long as I am “fresh” I keep on the same clothing as long as it is dining room appropriate.  

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

Is it customary to change for dinner on smart casual nights? 

Yes. I always shower and change for dinner. This is especially necessary when sailing in a warmer climate. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, islandwoman said:

Whatever you're comfortable wearing and presentable. I would save the room in my suitcase, pack less and use the terrific laundry service. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Whatever you're comfortable wearing and presentable. I would save the room in my suitcase, pack less and use the terrific laundry service. 

How long will it take to get clothes back from the laundry for cold wash/hang dry and for cold wash/low dry?  In other words, how many sets of clothing (day clothes and dinner clothes) will I need to pack?

I didn't sleep last night, worrying about how I'm going to get all of these clothes into my suitcase.

41 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

How long will it take to get clothes back from the laundry for cold wash/hang dry and for cold wash/low dry?  In other words, how many sets of clothing (day clothes and dinner clothes) will I need to pack?

I didn't sleep last night, worrying about how I'm going to get all of these clothes into my suitcase.

It will depend on the number of people using the laundry service. The paper that will be in your cabin says 2 days for regular unless you choose express (extra fee). But my experience (which many others report as well) is typically back next day. And if you send it out before 9, it may come back same day. That's for the low dry, hang dry would be next day to 2 days since it requires extra time.

I reduced my packing by 50% by using the laundry service and recently cut more. I always do unlimited and frequently send a bag every day, sometimes 2 (one before breakfast and another before dinner).

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

I reduced my packing by 50% by using the laundry service and recently cut more. I always do unlimited and frequently send a bag every day, sometimes 2 (one before breakfast and another before dinner).

If I'm not being too nosy, how many sets of sea day clothing and how many sets of dinner clothing (other than "dressy" night and orange night) clothing do you pack?

Using the unlimited laundry, I pack 2 tops and 2 bottoms for daytime on the ship, 2 dinner tops (in case of spills), 1 dinner bottom, 1 dressy top and 1 dressy bottom. We normally don't go on excursions any more, but when we did I wore the slacks I traveled in with one of the ship tops.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, islandwoman said:

If I'm not being too nosy, how many sets of sea day clothing and how many sets of dinner clothing (other than "dressy" night and orange night) clothing do you pack?

If I'm going away to a generally warm weather area (not hot), I will take 5-6 dresses for evening, plus a couple of cocktail dresses for dressy nights. One pair of low-heeled pumps to go with all the evening clothes, plus stockings, and a slip. Add in 5-6 pair of shoe clips to make the pumps look a little different with each dress. Repeat outfits as often as necessary. 
I'll take another 5-6 sundresses for daytime, with slip-on walking shoes, and undies. One pair of slacks with maybe two tops to wear boarding tenders. 

All of this fits in one suitcase, along with a jacket for cooler days/nights, for as many as 39 days. 
For a shorter trip (14-25 days), I take less, of course. The trick is bringing very lightweight fabrics.
For cool/cold weather destinations, I swap out the dresses for another pair of slacks (or two), and swap the T-tops for sweatshirts.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't take any more for a 30 day trip than I do for a 7 day trip. A couple pairs of pants, a few shirts, a pair of flats or nicer sandals and a good pair of walking shoes, maybe a summery dress and a couple of scarves to dress up an outfit. Of course, underthings and whatever I'm wearing on the plane.

It is weather dependent though, We do cold weather travel sometimes so a couple warmer layering items will added along with a hat and gloves. Appropriate outwear I can usually wear on the plane or I place my jacket inside my suitcase, opened, and pack all of my other items inside the jacket.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

I don't take any more for a 30 day trip than I do for a 7 day trip. A couple pairs of pants, a few shirts, a pair of flats or nicer sandals and a good pair of walking shoes, maybe a summery dress and a couple of scarves to dress up an outfit.

Similar - utilizing laundry service, the same basic amount of clothes gets me through a week or a month. 

I don't wear a different pair a shoes w/each outfit  - those days are behind me. 1 pair of walking shoes, 2 pair of sandals (1 casual w/heel strap, 1 dressier) and a backup pair of slip-ons.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

I wonder if it's possible to request a microwave in your cabin.  I use a microwavable hotpack for a wrist injury I am rehabbing.

No.

best solution is to book a Pinnacle Suite - there is a microwave in that one as it’s geared for it 😉 

• Like 1

On 3/30/2024 at 11:57 PM, Ready2go11 said:

anyone have any experience with this?

If you get hose gel packs that you heat up in water or the microwave - they can do the same thing (sometimes better.  Hot water is easy to get in the Lido (you could use your ice bucket) or order it from room service - probably 3 pots of hot water and use the sink to heat them up in.

Sadly, I’ve been down that road.  I don’t know your injury of course, but for my physio, I was encouraged to use the hydrotherapy pool for one and my cabin for the second one.  I have to say that the hydrotherapy pool made a big difference.  My orthopaedic surgeon and my physio both heavily endorsed it.

4 minutes ago, kazu said:

best solution is to book a Pinnacle Suite - there is a microwave in that one as it’s geared for it 😉 

Since the pinnacle suite is booked for my cruise 😟 perhaps I just need to find out who has it and make new friends!

Actually, a friend suggested yesterday getting those packs that you snap that heat up as a temporary solution for the trip. I ordered some today. 

• Like 2