New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

1 hour ago, Kaibyrd said:

Thank you. I had seen this deck plan before but am still confused as to why SC is less desirable. I can see they are located closer to the back of the ship instead of the middle but wouldn’t that make the ones close to the front about the same? (SA7047 vs SC7085) Is there something else that makes SC less desirable? 

The only thing that occurs to me is the distance from the Neptune Lounge.

• Thanks 1

So only one post here mentioned this and didn't answer my question.  So here goes:

We're on Rotterdam next month, is there a way to find out what movies will be shown on the Lido Deck?  Is this even a thing?

Thanks!

Edited by DrJamba
missing word

27 minutes ago, DrJamba said:

there a way to find out what movies will be shown on the Lido Deck?  Is this even a thing?

Movies are sometimes shown in the evenings by the Lido pool but the schedule is not published in advance.  There is an excellent selection of on demand movies available in your stateroom.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 0106 said:

Movies are sometimes shown in the evenings by the Lido pool but the schedule is not published in advance.  There is an excellent selection of on demand movies available in your stateroom.  

Thank you for your answer!

I was hoping that a schedule would be made available like that other cruise line's brand ambassador does on other social media sites.

In-cabin movies are too much like being at home.  One of my pleasures is watching a movie outside under the stars while at sea.

2 hours ago, DrJamba said:

So only one post here mentioned this and didn't answer my question.  So here goes:

We're on Rotterdam next month, is there a way to find out what movies will be shown on the Lido Deck?  Is this even a thing?

Thanks!

Movies are listed in The Daily program...each day...sometimes they're shown at other times, not just at night, so be sure to check the full day schedule. 

8 hours ago, Kaibyrd said:

Thank you. I had seen this deck plan before but am still confused as to why SC is less desirable. I can see they are located closer to the back of the ship instead of the middle but wouldn’t that make the ones close to the front about the same? (SA7047 vs SC7085) Is there something else that makes SC less desirable? 

The forward areas of the ship tend to be rockier than the mid or aft sections.  People who are subject to motion sickness will avoid them, holding the prices down.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DrJamba said:

Thanks!

Aboard the Koningsdam last month in Alaska, movies were shown by the pool at 3:00 PM on port days (Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan) with popcorn available from the Deck 10 Panorama Bar overlooking the Deck 9 indoor Lido pool.  The noise from the pool made it very difficult to understand the dialogue.

It must be noted that movies shown by the pool are also available on stateroom TVs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Crew News said:

Aboard the Koningsdam last month in Alaska, movies were shown by the pool at 3:00 PM on port days (Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan) with popcorn available from the Deck 10 Panorama Bar overlooking the Deck 9 indoor Lido pool.  The noise from the pool made it very difficult to understand the dialogue.

It must be noted that movies shown by the pool are also available on stateroom TVs.

@DrJamba Dec & Jan on K'dam, we also had movies shown during the day at the Lido pool. They were listed in the The Daily as "movies by the pool" followed by the name of the movie. Here's an example

20240104_035352.thumb.jpg.16f233a04e57e8e09ee512b080a578fc.jpg

15 hours ago, DrJamba said:

Thanks!

I just got off Rotterdam a few days ago, and yes, movies were shown on the Lido Deck in the afternoon several times so it is "a thing" (announced in the daily program the day before).  Alternatively, they showed ongoing soccer matches.

There were very comfortable looking lounge chairs lined up facing the screen during those movie times (if you could get one -- the ship was full, so plan ahead).

But if you want to find out *now* what will be shown next month and when, when you're on, I don't know how or if you can reliably do that.  

What I didn't understand is how people could watch a movie while at the same time there is so much noise and other activity from hundreds of people at the Lido, which was also unpleasantly warm, unlike a real theatre  (we preferred movies in our room).

• Like 1

On 6/24/2024 at 7:53 PM, Ileneilene123 said:

Yes — I will definitely look for it before printing. How do people who aren’t on Cruise Critic find out this stuff? Grateful for this info!

Our boarding passes are in the Navigator App now with the barcode. Hooray!

1) Can we show a screenshot of the boarding pass to board?
2) Our luggage tags do not appear to be in the app yet, or at least I am not seeing them. When will they be added? We board in about a week and a half. Thank you. 

14 minutes ago, Ileneilene123 said:

2) Our luggage tags do not appear to be in the app yet, or at least I am not seeing them. When will they be added? We board in about a week and a half. Thank you. 

You should have had access to your luggage tags by now. I would log on to the website, not the app, and check for them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I would still print a back up copy just in case you have no internet access. 

What I like about having screenshots of my boarding passes is that I don't need internet, and can still call them up (same goes for airline boarding passes -- got burned on this too many times).  And of course I still try and pre-print passes but that is often inconvenient if I don't get them until late (e.g., I'm often already on the go when they are issued, and/or the hotel business lounge printer may be broken or inconvenient to access, etc.).

I also make sure DH and I have the same electronic sets for both of us , in case one of our phones goes out for whatever reason.  

Plus we carry an extra little power source to jumpcharge an iphone in a pinch (one of many reasons we cannot travel just with carry-ons ). 

Anxious cruisers often turn out to have more than one screenshot of their boarding passes (I was cleaning out my iphone photo file this morning and realized I had made 4 sets of boarding passes , at different times) .

Yeah, I'm one of those overpreparers who never flies  into the disembarkation port just the day of or even the day before the cruise -- I've had too many trip-spoilers over the years, learned the hard way.

Edited by Catlover54
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, terrydtx said:

I would still print a back up copy just in case you have no internet access. 

You do not need internet or data to access a screenshot that is saved in your photos app on an iPhone.  I do not know about other types of phones. Although many still print paper copies, I have never found it necessary and prefer to not to print unnecessary paper.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ileneilene123 said:

Yes a screenshot of your boarding pass works just fine (that's what we use). Just be sure they have barcodes.

Your luggage tags are available as soon as you complete your online check in. You can download them or email them (to yourself or someone else). Their availability is not tied to final payment, so you can actually print them almost as soon as you book. I say almost  because you have to complete the online check in.

• Thanks 1