New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

Does HAL do a chef's dinner similar to princess and RCCL? How much and what was it like?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes it does if there is enough interest. Maybe called Master Chef Dinner or Sommelier Dinner. Have tried it a couple of times. The smaller the ship the better the meal we have found. With a small ship it takes up the whole Pinnacle dining area and is much better atmosphere. I think the price was $69. The last one we attended on the Maasdam was by far the best we have tried. Probably one of the best meals we have ever enjoyed. Check with the Pinnacle Dining Room to see if it is being offered. Different wines with every course.

Yes it does if there is enough interest. Maybe called Master Chef Dinner or Sommelier Dinner. Have tried it a couple of times. The smaller the ship the better the meal we have found. With a small ship it takes up the whole Pinnacle dining area and is much better atmosphere. I think the price was $69. The last one we attended on the Maasdam was by far the best we have tried. Probably one of the best meals we have ever enjoyed. Check with the Pinnacle Dining Room to see if it is being offered. Different wines with every course.

Just to clarity:

Master Chef Table (Rudi S's Dinner) is a very small group. Only 14-19 maximum. Much more intimate.

Sommerlier Dinner (aka Cellar Master Dinner) is where they fill up the Pinnacle Grill. So, as many people as the PG can hold.

The Master Chef Table is not advertised while the Cellar Master/Sommelier Dinner is.

My memory is short but I believe the Master Chef Table was $89 and the Cellar master the price you listed.

Edited by kazu

Just to clarity:

Master Chef Table (Rudi S's Dinner) is a very small group. Only 14-19 maximum. Much more intimate.

Sommerlier Dinner (aka Cellar Master Dinner) is where they fill up the Pinnacle Grill. So, as many people as the PG can hold.

The Master Chef Table is not advertised while the Cellar Master/Sommelier Dinner is.

My memory is short but I believe the Master Chef Table was $89 and the Cellar master the price you listed.

Is the cellar master dinner advertised ahead of time or only on board? I'm on the maasdam seven day aug 5 and haven't seen anything listed on the website about this dinner.

Is the cellar master dinner advertised ahead of time or only on board? I'm on the maasdam seven day aug 5 and haven't seen anything listed on the website about this dinner.

Only on board. It will advertised in the daily programme usually a couple of days in advance.

Do I need to print the luggage tags for each of my carry on luggage? Do they provide the luggage tag holders at the port?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I usually do for my carry-on luggage but it's not required. They don't provide luggage tag holders at the port, but you can acquire some in advance from the CC site. Otherwise, just staple or tape them to your luggage. Yes, I carry tape with me on my cruises. Usually there's a stapler at the port.

Do I need to print the luggage tags for each of my carry on luggage? Do they provide the luggage tag holders at the port?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Yes, print a tag for each piece of luggage. You can get a PDF of your tags on the HAL site where you check in.

Tags are designed so you can staple them around your luggage strap or handle. However, if you have time there are some great tag holders available on Amazon.

You can order holders from the cruise line, but they're pricy.

Do I need to print the luggage tags for each of my carry on luggage?

Btimmer is right that you don't need to print a luggage tag for carry-on, unless you want to. Sometimes having it comes in handy for me---like when I forget what cabin I am heading to this time!

You must affix a tag (either pre-printed, or obtained from a porter) to suitcases you turn in to be delivered---otherwise you may not see it until someone puts it out for disembarkation (true story behind that piece of advice. ;) )

What kind of electric outputs are there on the HAL ships? I am assuming US ones?

Will it be possible to get a converter from the receptions?

The number and locations of outlets will vary from ship to ship, and even within different categories on the same ship. But all the cabins have at least one US/110 outlet and one European/220 outlet.

Cabins on most of the ships also have an outlet in the bathroom that it suitable for shavers and electric toothbrushes.

As far as I know, you can't get converters from the Front Desk. I bring my own, which I have also used in pre-cruise hotels. My converters live in my carry-on the rest of the time, so I always have them when I leave home.

You can bring plain extension cords, and those 'taps' that make for multiple outlets, but you are not allowed to use a cord with a surge suppressor.

The cabin steward will also get you an extension cord, should you need one.

Oregon residents, boarding in Vancouver. We are arriving by car.

HAL website lists requirements for boarding. We have our passports and printed our boarding passes. I didn't print out the 17 pages attached.

But it also mentions needing Express Docs and "The cruise documents containing your Cruise Contract.".

Can someone explain all this?

Oregon residents, boarding in Vancouver. We are arriving by car.

HAL website lists requirements for boarding. We have our passports and printed our boarding passes. I didn't print out the 17 pages attached.

But it also mentions needing Express Docs and "The cruise documents containing your Cruise Contract.".

Can someone explain all this?

You need only the printed first page of your Express Docs (boarding passes) as well as your passport to enter the cruise terminal. You should have a file of your Express Docs on a mobile device just in case.

What kind of electric outputs are there on the HAL ships? I am assuming US ones?

Will it be possible to get a converter from the receptions?

Thanks and best

As stated above there is a 110v and a 220v minimum in normal cabins (I have no knowledge of suites, etc.). In addition, on the Koningsdam and possibly others that have been refitted, there are 5v USB outlets.

Most all small electronic devices (iPhone and battery chargers as well as my Resmed Cpap machine) will run on either 110v or 220v.

Here's what we do: we bring along two short (6-8') extension cords AND one European adapter that is affixed to the supply (male) end of one cord. That way we have two sources of power and one of our cords has 6 outlets on it. All the items we plug in to the cord are low current draw and that is important.

There's a hair dryer in the cabin, so there's no need to bring that item.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know there is an app called cruise ship messenger aka ship text for iPhone. Does anyone know which app we can use for both iPhone and android phones? We have different kinds of phones. Just want to find a common app we can use on the ship. Thanks

I know there is an app called cruise ship messenger aka ship text for iPhone. Does anyone know which app we can use for both iPhone and android phones? We have different kinds of phones. Just want to find a common app we can use on the ship. Thanks

I don't know of one. We had that problem on our recent trans Pacific crossing with our granddaughter with her Android and my wife and I on iPhones. My wife and and I communicated well with Ship Text; granddaughter couldn't.

Can you please explain what App this is for iPhone.

Can you please explain what App this is for iPhone.

The Cruise ship Messenger app installs on iPhones and allows each iPhone to send text messages to the other using the ship's WIFI system.

The Cruise ship Messenger app installs on iPhones and allows each iPhone to send text messages to the other using the ship's WIFI system.

Do you have to sign up and pay for the WiFi to use this app?

Thank you.

Do you have to sign up and pay for the WiFi to use this app?

Thank you.

There is NO cost!! We use the free sites on the ship ALL THE TIME and never purchase HAL's internet time. That being said I carry a portable WIFI device that works all over the world (http://www.glocalme.com).

Thank you for correcting me, it shows differently on my iPhone icon. I am just hoping it works for me:D.

I did change the name on my iPhone icon to 'Ship Text' so it would be shorter. Your iPhone may have done the same. In any event enjoy your cruise and the app. Remember that both phones have to be in for the app to work. It can be a bit challenging to set up on the ship.