New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

Bolded answers are mine:

I started reading the posts on page one. I have managed to utterly confuse myself. I apologize if these questions are moronic or repetitive. At this point, I am not sure what was posted this week and what was posted in 2014. This is my first HAL cruise [insert Dave joke here].

1. The word Orange is used frequently and in confusing contexts. I believe Code Orange is the safety drill but is Orange used for other things? If so, what?

Code Orange is the former term used to describe limited passenger interaction with food items to minimize norovirus transmission during the first 48 hours of the cruise. New food handling procedures and utensils are now in use so that Code Orange is no longer a mandatory policy.

2. Do I need to pre-register my child in the children's program?

No.

3. Do they still provide shampoo and conditioner? (I have the cheapest balcony room on the ship.)

HAL ships provided Elmis products: shampoo, soap, conditioner, lotion, etc.

4. I am confused about the drink packages. I do drink alcohol and wine, but I live on club soda and sparkling water. I anticipate having wine with dinner and probably a couple of alcoholic drinks during the day. But I will suck down bubbly water all day. Which drink package should I get?

You don't need a drink package unless you plan on consuming many, many alcoholic beverages each day. You can bring as much soda and water as you wish in your carry-on luggage (roller bag).

5. I read in several places that people brought magnets. I never gave it much thought, but will the magnets stick to anything other than the doors?

To make magnets stick to the covered HAL walls and doors, they would have to very strong and heavy. Use Post-it notes.

6. I have no idea how to pack for this. From late September in Canada to Hawaii in early October... Did I mention the toddler?

Pack light and use the ship laundry ($7/day for as many items as you wish).

7. We will not be participating in the ship's excursions. I don't want my daughter to ruin anyone else's excursion. I also want to be able to return her to the ship at any time if need be. On my previous cruises (Carnival, Princess, and Norwegian), I always took ship excursions. In fact, they had to hold the boat for us on the last cruise I took, lo those many years ago. Any advice on going it alone in port?

Club HAL is available for toddlers while you go ashore.

8. People keep referencing things that you have to purchase on the ship such as cabanas, hydropool time, etc. I know drinks, specialty dining, and purchase of goods (art, cruises, etc.) are not included in the cost. But what other things should I be aware of as a first time HALer?

You can purchase photos of yourself from the Ships Photo Gallery ($$$).

Nervously and neurotically yours,

AwkwardJen

Feel free to ask many questions so that you will be better prepared for your cruise. In addition, make sure you go to the HAL Roll Calls and join the thread for your cruise.

Lots of new offerings on board since we last cruised HAL. (2011) We are on the Oosterdam for the holiday cruise to HI and Mexico and wondering if the ship will do anything "island" related going over and while in the islands? Also I assume the ship will be decorated?...and will Santa come? Caroling? Any info appreciated! LuAnn

This is a great thread. Thank you all. Now here is my question. According to this thread, you can order off the main dining room menu if you call between 5:30 and 6:00 p.m. But, since the Lido buffet has so many more options, including everything being served in the main dining room, can you order off the Lido menu? And yes, there IS a Lido menu, because I am looking at it right now. Thank you all once again.

... can you order off the Lido menu?

Not that I have ever heard of; you have to go to the Lido to get the food served there.

However, you can bring the tray that lives under your cabin ice bucket, or take one from home, load up on food in the Lido, and bring that back to your cabin (or most anyplace else you want).

A general question - how do you connect to past passengers on HAL? My family and I were on the Konningsdam sail date 9th July 2017 and would like to see the photo taken in the meet and mingle and get in touch with those newly found friends.

I would contact the person in charge of your Meet & Greet. That person should have all the information you need/want and can contact them for you. I would never give the information out UNLESS I had written (email) permission from all parties to release that info.

Joanie

A general question - how do you connect to past passengers on HAL? My family and I were on the Konningsdam sail date 9th July 2017 and would like to see the photo taken in the meet and mingle and get in touch with those newly found friends.

I would post a note to the Roll Call thread giving your contact info and ask about the picture along with an invitation to contact you.

Lots of new offerings on board since we last cruised HAL. (2011) We are on the Oosterdam for the holiday cruise to HI and Mexico and wondering if the ship will do anything "island" related going over and while in the islands? Also I assume the ship will be decorated?...and will Santa come? Caroling? Any info appreciated! LuAnn

Ship will be decorated and Santa will make an appearance for the kiddies on Christmas day morning (show lounge)

Hi Coopco. Kazu has been very helpful.

Can I just add that you would be advised to tell the Mariner Club well before you go that you are entitled to the one star.

Otherwise they will probably not know. I advised them of my Princess past history and booking numbers and our status on Princess.

All very easy and straightforward.......but I do advise telling them well before you sail.

Deeko

Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely do that. I'm still trying to make it through all pages. I decided it's best to start backwards rather than forward. I appreciate all the info Deeko and Kazu. Do you know if they still offer the Back of the House Tour? Is it still $150. Does that include any gifts (I've read Princess offers a Chef's coat and robe on their tours - we got a Carnival cap, lanyard, and picture on our Carnival tour.)? Love all the info so thanks to all who contribute. I have found the Holland America website a little harder to navigate than others but maybe I'm just used to the Princess and Carnival websites (although Carnival keeps changing theirs making it hard to keep up!) So I appreciate all the information -- it's definitely a timesaver!

Short answer: No.

We travel with an air freshener ... keeps the bathroom aroma fresh.

The toilet system is on a closed loop and on rare occasions the system has issues (only happened to us once in many cruises) and odoriferous. At the next port we acquired an air freshener and continued to enjoy our cabin without issue.

Now we pack one every time.

Others experiences may vary :D

We (I) always take a small bottle of Poo-Pourri. It keeps me from having to divorce my husband. Outside of that, it's really not bad -- probably TMI.

We (I) always take a small bottle of Poo-Pourri. It keeps me from having to divorce my husband. Outside of that, it's really not bad -- probably TMI.

Just off the ship and no issues with the bathroom though i thought we might experience a heart attack or two from others on the tender to bar harbor. Holy cow. The coughing fits were epic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

HAL is our favorite line. Forget about doing laundry yourself, you can stuff a bag for $20.00 and have it all come back clean and pressed and folder or on hangers (your choice). Enter the toddler in the kids program right away so you can enjoy your days and the toddler can have a wonderful time also.

Just go and know you'll have a wonderful Holiday.

Not that I have ever heard of; you have to go to the Lido to get the food served there.

However, you can bring the tray that lives under your cabin ice bucket, or take one from home, load up on food in the Lido, and bring that back to your cabin (or most anyplace else you want).

Please pardon my ignorance of HAL's Lido procedures, but don't they have trays there to transport one's food to the tables; which could theoretically also be used to transport food back to the cabin? :confused:

Most of our cruises have been on other lines where this is indeed the case.

Thanks!

Please pardon my ignorance of HAL's Lido procedures, but don't they have trays there to transport one's food to the tables; which could theoretically also be used to transport food back to the cabin? :confused:

Most of our cruises have been on other lines where this is indeed the case.

Thanks!

No trays in the 2½ years I have been sailing with them. I almost always eat in the Lido.

KroozNut, Sorry HAL no longer has trays in the Lido. I have seen people bring their own. If I wanted to bring food back to the cabin I might use the tray under the ice bucket in the cabin but it is small. I would just order room service if I wanted to eat in the cabin. You can order from the MDR menu for the the first hour it is open and set the time to deliver the food to your cabin. Just thought there is really no place for a tray as you are walking along the serving tables in the Lido.