New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

You can ask the room steward to remove the items from the fridge the first time you see them. I like to wait until the luggage is delivered or even the next morning as they are very busy during embarkation. My PCC notes the request for bed configuration on the booking, but you can ask your room steward if it isn't as you wish. They can split remake the beds very quickly.

When will I get the opportunity to request the beds be pushed into a queen, and the fridge emptied?

You can request the queen bed before your cruise. Usually it's done at booking. Check with your TA/PCC/HAL (whomever you booked with) and they can amend if it is not recorded properly.

I think (I have to say most as we don't empty our fridge) just ask to have the fridge emptied once they are on board.

When will I get the opportunity to request the beds be pushed into a queen, and the fridge emptied?
Your bed set-up preference is part of your booking just as your MDR dining preferences .Clearing out the fridge is best requested when you first meet your steward . I believe it is the beverage department who actually takes care of this . Pay attention to the bottled water . We were charged for a bottle we didn't drink . It turned up hidden behind the TV .

You will need to change your reservations while on board in person or via telephone (PG) sometime before the date of your assigned reservation. If you choose to make the changes on Embarkation Day, the probability of getting the date/time you want are excellent. Waiting until the last minute just shrinks your options.

There should be a podium across from the PG on Deck 2 that might be able to make all the changes at the same time. If you are in a Neptune Suite, the Neptune Lounge Concierge can make all of the changes for you. Only a very few have not been able to change Specialty Restaurant reservations.

On my cruise last month many of the "package' reservations were made for Embarkation Day which might be good for you.

Here is a link to all of the Specialty Restaurant menus to help in your planning:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/hal-regular-and-specialty-restaurants/hal-specialty-restaurant-menus/

Open seating has nothing to do with the Specialty restaurants. It means that you can eat in the MDR whenever you wish but without an assigned table. Note that you can also order the MDR meal through Room Service during evening meal hours if you would like to eat on your veranda.

We are first timers. This link - as well as most of the other information you've provide - is SO helpful. Thanks.

Actually, I just need room for 2 bottles of Chardonnay. Will there be room, with how it comes stocked?

No. The shelves are filled with soda and beer cans as well as bottles of wine. The door is filled with liquor miniatures.

You can always remove the cans of beer and soda to make room for your bottles but it is just as easy to ask your Room Steward to have everything removed.

No. The shelves are filled with soda and beer cans as well as bottles of wine. The door is filled with liquor miniatures.

You can always remove the cans of beer and soda to make room for your bottles but it is just as easy to ask your Room Steward to have everything removed.

I'll do that. Thanks.

Actually, I just need room for 2 bottles of Chardonnay. Will there be room, with how it comes stocked?

Unless you plan to drink from the 'MiniBar' it is much easier to have it emptied to start with and just put your own things in it. It is not really a fridge, it is only a basic cooler.

You can request the queen bed before your cruise. Usually it's done at booking. Check with your TA/PCC/HAL (whomever you booked with) and they can amend if it is not recorded properly.

Our bed configuration request (Queen) is noted on our booking confirmation documentation. :)

My HAL boarding pass has no such request. I'll check with my TA.

It's not on the boarding pass but on the confirmation that your TA should have sent you when you booked.

Definitely check with them.

FWIW, one time, for whatever reason, the instructions didn't get properly sent and we had twin beds. I just asked the stewards and we had our normal bed in no time. They did it while we were at dinner.

We always take several car fresheners, purchased at Wal-mart in the automotive section, with us and hang them in our bathroom. The room stewards are always complimentary about the idea and its usefulness.

We always take several car fresheners, purchased at Wal-mart in the automotive section, with us and hang them in our bathroom. The room stewards are always complimentary about the idea and its usefulness.

Are the bathrooms particularly smelly?

Are the bathrooms particularly smelly?

Short answer: No.

We travel with an air freshener ... keeps the bathroom aroma fresh.

The toilet system is on a closed loop and on rare occasions the system has issues (only happened to us once in many cruises) and odoriferous. At the next port we acquired an air freshener and continued to enjoy our cabin without issue.

Now we pack one every time.

Others experiences may vary :D

FINALLY! Finished reading through this entire thread and don't have to put up with any more comments like "Are you still reading that?" He'll be grateful when we board and at least one of us knows what we're doing! There's only one question I need to ask. I don't drink much tea and coffee but like a fruit tea with my breakfast. Are fruit, peppermint and herbal teas available in the MDR or should I pack my own?

Thanks for all the great information here. Looking forward to our first HAL cruise in October.

FINALLY! Finished reading through this entire thread and don't have to put up with any more comments like "Are you still reading that?" He'll be grateful when we board and at least one of us knows what we're doing! There's only one question I need to ask. I don't drink much tea and coffee but like a fruit tea with my breakfast. Are fruit, peppermint and herbal teas available in the MDR or should I pack my own?

Thanks for all the great information here. Looking forward to our first HAL cruise in October.

Teas - herbal and otherwise [bigelow] are available in MDR and Lido [available 24/7]. I have a favorite herbal - so I bring my own.

Congratulations on having made it through ! :D

There is a good selection of regular teas and various Bigelow flavored teas . The only issue is the mix varies . A couple of our favorites , mint and Sweet Dreams were rarely available . Other flavors such as Orange and Spice and Cinnamon Apple were always available . Most of the Bigelow's were caffeine free .