Larry Answer's More CC Live Questions!

Larry Pimentel

First, I'd like to thank Cruise Critic management for the invitation to join the Cruise Chat Live. Perhaps the invitation will be extended for a future chat. I truly enjoy the engagement with the community and find the questions provocative and the assumptions fascinating. I'll try to articulate as concisely as possible and in a straight forward manner. The time for the session elapsed quicker than we could image and many questions were unanswered. For this reason, I'll try and provide a brief yet complete answer that can be reviewed by the community. Larry Pimentel

Here were the pending questions from CC live chat=

LovCrusin

Q: I've been leary of booking an Azamara cruise against since Azamara eliminated it's 50% discount off shore tours and refused to grandfather in those of us who had made a deposit for a cruise while the benefit was still in effect. The explanation I received from Mr. Pimentel was that , "things change". My question is: has Azamara's policy concerning customers negatively affected by benefit changes has changed? Azamara did add their nightly shore events, however, we felt that eliminating the 50% discount would have added thousands of dollars to our cruise so we cancelled and booked with another line for half the fare...and had a wonderful time.

A: First we changed the promotion because it was not as effective in generating overall business as we thought. Frankly, we believed it was a winner, but the data showed a small percentage of our guest actually pre- booked and it did not drive overall cruise bookings. The program was not successful. Overall Guests were more interested in air promotions, stateroom savings and category upgrade promotions. So we elected to use our promotional dollars in a way guests were more responsive too. It is fairly common for promotions to change given that all guests seek different values. We did notify guests and travel agents who had booked, it was listed on our website and our former CBO Bill posted the information on Cruise Critic. Some people were still caught off-guard who did not read or missed our communications.

While the savings program for pre-booked Land Discoveries offer is now over, we are committed as ever to delivering high quality, high-value land experiences in every port. An exclusive, AzAmazing Evenings event is now included on most voyages, this program has not added thousands to the tariff. We have added a better selection of Land Discoveries around the world, with the aim of delivering value and satisfying a wide range of tastes and interests.*This can be experienced with our Insider Access and Nights & Cool Places options.

We hope you give our brand a try very soon and experience some of these exciting programs. LP

Tonyuk

Q: I'l be going on my first Azamara next year after many cruises on Celebrity. I must admit your drinks inclusions exclusions packages etc. baffle me and many others. Any chance of Azamara following the Celebrity lead and setting a price limit for drinks within a drinks package?

A: Hello Tony, the brands have there own policies and this means different approaches. Each approach must have a commercial business practicality. Each approach appeals to different people. Combining one program of one line with another is generally not favorable from a business cost perspective. In Azamara's case we have complementary cocktails, wine and beers. Many other cruise lines do not. Guests seem too love this inclusion. We also have upgraded drink packages that offer more premium brands if that is what our guests desires. It is a question of personal choice. Finally, I would never select a line on the basis of its liquor policy as other core deliverable are far more significant: itinerary, crew, culinary, content deliverable.

Greg

Q: Hi Larry, Azamara sounds very interesting and I have been looking at the Norwegian Fjords cruise on Aug. 11, 2016 -- but there has been a lot of talk on Cruise Critic about a big chunk of 2016 going to a charter. What can you tell us about the charter situation, and will the Aug. 11 cruise happen as scheduled?

A: Hi Greg, the Aug. 11 voyage is not affected by any changes. Hence I'm not sure what your concern is! I find it fascinating that so few spend so much time discussing a vast "minority" of our sold inventory. As a side note, factually our business since inception has used about 5% of our inventory for charters on an average. Some years are lower, some years are higher...but on average about 95% of our inventory was/is available for individual purchase. We also have many years of inventory open for sale. I might add that many charters are largely available for purchase from specific tour operators or groups who resale the space. This mix of individual, group and charter business is ideal especially when mixed with sales from a global perspective. All these revenue types are necessary and will continue.

Geoffk

Q: What is meant by'24hour service fro restaurantmenu' as opposed to room service menu

A: We have a regular 24 hr in stateroom room service menu found in the directory of services booklet, we also have a separate breakfast menu to fill out and hang on the door to be delivered to you the next morning at your requested time. In addition to that during Discoveries Restaurant operating hours guests may also order from the main dining menu. LP

Host Andy

Q: While most seasoned cruisers understand the need to itinerary changes for geopolitical reasons.... how does financial events, such as today's argentina's default news, play into deployment decisions ?

A: Hi Andy, Great question! We are constantly dealing with many global variables especially when we travel to over 60 plus countries in any one given year. Financial events are quit unpredictable and can be different from port to port. Buenos Aires is a marquee port for our brand and we will work to continue to visit Argentina as much as possible. South America has been good to us and our guests thoroughly enjoy our voyages there. However, if the government would impose even higher fees, taxes and other charges we would need to take a hard look at it. However, such is highly speculative. From a sourcing perspective, we are mostly a Pan Anglo business and do not generate a lot of guests from Argentina. In other words, it is not a source market, rather it is a destination we visit. LP

Bob278

Q: What are the dynamics that drive a decision to charter out a ship and is there a practical limitation on how many weeks you would do that at a time?

A: We evaluate all charter opportunities from many perspectives. Chartering is very technical depending on a wide variety of factors. We evaluate deployment (distance, fuel, berthing, timing and dozens of other factors), operational criteria, financial capability of the charterer, economic impact, guest affected, crew impact, brand implications, and many other factors.

We do not charter ships that are well booked.

I have read on several occasions within CC, speculation that chartering implies financial weakness. That is nonsense! Charters provide a solid base of business!~

Fernanda Maldonado

Q: Hi Larry, in the Mexico office we would like to know more about the destinations you visited during the President's Voyage. Did you get any chance to experience an Insider Access tour?

A: Hello Fer, yes the President Voyage trip was a once in a lifetime bucket list type of item. I documented many of the exciting events and experiences on my twitter account (@LarryPimentel), please look through and share with your team in Mexico. I must admit that a D-Day cruise was a once in a life time Azamazing experience. I loved talking to the veterans. Their contribution was truly remarkable and the experience was humbling. Thank you and the team for your support of our brand. LP

Sven Galley

Q: Hello, Larry. What are the dining and entertainment options on your ships?

A: They are many too many to list here. Our dining in the main restaurant, speciality restaurants, room service and all around the ship is tops. The entertainment keeps getting better and better, with regional programs as we travel around the world. I encourage you to read through the options on the below link on our website. LP

http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/our-ships

Greg

Q: Why are ship's shore excursions so much more expensive than similar third-party offerings? [This is not a dig at Azamara -- some cruise lines are far worse.]

A: Over the past year and a half we have gone through a very detailed examination of our Land Tour programs. What we have done is created specific unique tours for each of our brands to fit the guest demographic of each. You would not necessarily offer the same tour to a Royal Caribbean guest that you would a Azamara guest. By doing this we have created specific exclusive land tour programs that highlight the essence of who we are: the new Insider Access, Nights and Cool Places and the up coming Cruise Global Eat Local. These programs are priced at the value of the experience, while other tour operators might be priced less, the experience will not stand up to our quality of product & delivery. In fact, you can not easily purchase what we offer from a third party operator. Please ask the tour operator to book a night program that Azamara offers and you will here silence! Guests come to Azamara Club Cruises because of our longer stays, more over nights, and night touring. We have the most extensive destination offering. In 2015 we visit 62 countries, and 203 ports. In 2016, we visit 70 countries and 204 ports. We travel deeper into local life. As a matter of fact, our largest growth base consists of clients/guests who have never been on a ship and they are coming because of our unique destination deliverable. Finally, our ships will wait for guests on our tours. Guests who take others tours and are not back when the vessel is to depart... run a risk. LP

Greg

Q: Any chance that when Celebrity gets new builds, the Millennium class could transfer for Azamara?

A: Not likely! When we grow, we are unlikely to take on larger hardware of this size. LP

Cruiser

Q: Service at the bars has slipped since more inclusive beverage selection was added. Will staff be added to return service to prior levels?

A: I apologize if you were onboard recently and the service was not up to your standards. We have not seen this in the guests ratings of our service at the bars. Guests love the staff and comment on their hospitality frequently. If anything the staff is a bit busier since we have included cocktails and beers in the tariff. We will keep an eye on this for you and hope your next experience with us will meet your service standards. LP

Don

Q: What about more internet and phone capacity? Its very important to many of us

A: Yes it is important for me as well when I travel. Most ships are not as good as we might want them This will change as technology is improving. We are working hard to improve our communication systems onboard and this is something we are taking a good look at during the planning stages of the upcoming dry docks for each ship. LP

EARLESTOBART

Q: When will you be releasing the 2017 cruise itinerary?

A: The release of the 2016 program was the earliest we have come to market. Our itinerary guru Claudius continues to plug away at 2017 and we should see finalization come this autumn. LP

I love Cruise Critic as a live laboratory of knowledge. It is educational and instructive. I'd like to thank Colleen Mcdaniel, our CC moderator. Andy our host and Carolyn Spencer Brown the CC editor-in-chief. Most of all I'd like to thank those who provide constructive commentary. We are an imperfect brand whose mission is to satisfy guest profitability. We seem to be achieving our goal! :)

PS: This is a bunch of typing ...it took two hours! ;)

Thank You All - Larry

I am still upset about the withdrawal of the discount on excursions happening without any warning. I booked my cruise in October directly with Azamara. I was told that my cruise had a 25%discount on shore excursions if I booked them up until 4 days before my cruise. Imagine my dismay when I paid my final payment and then found put that the discount had been withdrawn without being notified. Since I booked direct and were not notified, can an exception be made? I sail tomorrow on the Journey. I realize that in the fine print there is a disclaimer that states offers can be withdrawn without notice. I find the withdrawal without notice a bad way business offer. When I book my next cruise, I will get anything offered in writing.

We have not gone on our first Azamara cruise yet (April 5 crossing) but well traveled on Regent and a few other cruise lines.

I so appreciate you taking the time to address questions and concerns. It is a good learning experience for the rest of us. I wish all CEO's/top management would take the time as you have. It would eliminate lots of confusion and misinformation. Thank you Larry.

Thank you Larry for devoting more of your time to Cruise Critic.

In the grand scheme of things we are a small community and represent only a tiny percentage of your guests.

As you know we are also very forthright in our opinions and I applaud the CEO of Azamara being prepared to take the brickbats as well as the bouquets.

We appreciate that you monitor our views even if you do not always agree with them.

A: Hi Greg, the Aug. 11 voyage is not affected by any changes. Hence I'm not sure what your concern is! I find it fascinating that so few spend so much time discussing a vast "minority" of our sold inventory. As a side note, factually our business since inception has used about 5% of our inventory for charters on an average. Some years are lower, some years are higher...but on average about 95% of our inventory was/is available for individual purchase. We also have many years of inventory open for sale. I might add that many charters are largely available for purchase from specific tour operators or groups who resale the space. This mix of individual, group and charter business is ideal especially when mixed with sales from a global perspective. All these revenue types are necessary and will continue.

Larry

Although I appreciate Mr. Pimental responding to questions, I truly believe that it is extremely disingenuous for him to say that on average about 95% of inventory is open for sale in view of what is going on in the next two years. I am not interested in an average since the beginning of Azamara; what is the average for next year? Extremely high IMO.

Edited by CintiPam

Hi Larry,

Just wanted to say thank you for answering my question, along with our Cruise Critic members. Hope all is well, and wishing you and your team all the best of success in the years to come.

Edited by Host Andy

I'm glad Larry took the time to answer these questions.

It was very interesting reading his responses.

However, I was hoping he would give a new estimate as to when the revised itineraries would be announced for the August 26 to December 19, 2016 sailings that have been affected by the charters.

His last estimate on July 31st was "in about 2 weeks."

I know we're not much past 2 weeks at this point, but it would be nice to get a revised estimate.

I'm glad Larry took the time to answer these questions.

It was very interesting reading his responses.

However, I was hoping he would give a new estimate as to when the revised itineraries would be announced for the August 26 to December 19, 2016 sailings that have been affected by the charters.

His last estimate on July 31st was "in about 2 weeks."

I know we're not much past 2 weeks at this point, but it would be nice to get a revised estimate.

Your 100% correct! This has taken far too long. I'd also like to know the answer to the final deployment for 2016. So why has it taken so long? We need answers about berthing and confirmations from over 200 ports. Frankly, not everyone works out as far as we do. This has taken more time than I thought...but we are close. We will only disclose itineraries after confirmations have been confirmed from the port authorizes in over 60 countries. My staff tells me they expect everything in in another 12 to 14 days. This is a best guess estimate. I wish it was sooner!

Your 100% correct! This has taken far too long. I'd also like to know the answer to the final deployment for 2016. So why has it taken so long? We need answers about berthing and confirmations from over 200 ports. Frankly, not everyone works out as far as we do. This has taken more time than I thought...but we are close. We will only disclose itineraries after confirmations have been confirmed from the port authorizes in over 60 countries. My staff tells me they expect everything in in another 12 to 14 days. This is a best guess estimate. I wish it was sooner!

Thanks for the detailed explanation of why it is taking so long. That makes the delay understandable.

Thank you for sharing your insights Larry. Certainly sounds like a daunting task for your deployment manager, Claudius. Thankfully, he's the best of the best ! We look forward to the release of the deployment information when it becomes available.

Edited by Host Andy

Dear Larry,

Thanks for your reply and that is indeed my understanding of "normal" room service" BUT that is NOT what you offer on Page 83 of UK 2014 destination guide and I quote exactly.

"You'll also enjoy 24-hour white linen room service from Azamaras restaurant menus."

This does not state room service although for other categories it does state room service menus.

I know it is a small issue but you should not put in black and white what you cannot offer.

We have also discovered that whilst speciality restaurant dining is complimentary it is quite possible that it is NOT always available to suite guests even as it is now "first booked first served" though it states "reservations are recommended" not compulsory.

Edited by procter

Dear Larry,

Thanks for your reply and that is indeed my understanding of "normal" room service" BUT that is NOT what you offer on Page 83 of UK 2014 destination guide and I quote exactly.

"You'll also enjoy 24-hour white linen room service from Azamaras restaurant menus."

This does not state room service although for other categories it does state room service menus.

I know it is a small issue but you should not put in black and white what you cannot offer.

We have also discovered that whilst speciality restaurant dining is complimentary it is quite possible that it is NOT always available to suite guests even as it is now "first booked first served" though it states "reservations are recommended" not compulsory.

Thankfully Larry has clarified this for all our sakes.

Proctor, I suggest this was nothing more than a printing error, and considering the 2014 Destination guide was printed some considerable time ago it is too late to remedy.

As a printing error, it can probably be deemed a human mistake, which leads me to one of my favourite mottos

'The man who never made a mistake never made anything'

Proctor, I suggest this was nothing more than a printing error, and considering the 2014 Destination guide was printed some considerable time ago it is too late to remedy.

As a printing error, it can probably be deemed a human mistake, which leads me to one of my favourite mottos

Well said - lets keep the CEO focussed on the big picture

And thank you to the CEO for the time and personal effort made to address concerns of one group of customers (representative or not) :rolleyes:

Larry,

Thank you for the new estimate and great explanation.

My hope is that one of the revised itineraries works for us to book our first Azamara cruise, and that we are able to book it with the current BOGOHO promotion.

Well said.

The restaurant menu during hours the restaurant is not open is blank. Anyone can feel free to order anything listed on that blank menu. For anyone to think they're going to wake up Aqualina's dessert chef in the middle of the night to tell him "Get up, Procter wants a Gran Marnier souffle" is...well...better left unsaid.

I suspect someone conflated in error two items into one sentence: (1) Room service can be ordered 24 hours a day (which it can); and, (2) Suite passengers can order off the restaurant menu as well as the standard room service menu (which they can, when the restaurant is open).

And to expect the specialty restaurants to hold enough tables in reserve just in case any (or all) suite passenger should happen to decide at the last minute to dine there is also...well...better left unsaid.

This is all much ado about nothing and it's becoming tiresome. Uktog is dead on. Azamara management has more important things to concern itself with than this.

Thank you Larry for picking up my question on drinks packages. I like the look of the Azamara offering which is why we booked!

I tried to discover on the boards the benefits of upgrading to a higher level drinks packages and a lot of responses were that people didn't bother: for some because they were satisfied with the standard offering, but others commented they didn't upgrade because they found it too confusing. I'm a shareholder and I wonder if Azamara is losing out on potential revenue and a simplification for customers and crew.

Tony

Thanks to Uktog and Marinaro44 for their comments.

I am not naive enough to believe EVERYTHING in a brochure i.e. it is not always sunshine and my fellow passengers will not be as slim/glamorous or as young as the brochure photographs show.

I am sure 95% will be older, fatter and less glamorous and I include myself in all 3 categories BUT there is an important principle at stake here.

If you offer something in your print then it should be available as shown.

We have already seen re speciality dining that this is not as described.

in

If you order a Savile Row suit you do not expect to get a Primark or even a Marks & Spencer suit.

(Bloomingdale's vs. Wal-Mart for US readers,)

I note 2015 brochure utilises same wording.

The paragraph should read

24-hour room service and white linen etc during restaurant hours in room service.

At worst it is deceptive and at least poor copy checking at print stage.

What is more frustrating is that this has been dragging on since January when all it needed was an acceptance that wording was poor and it would be amended in future

Well said Suftum. As I've said previously, I suspect the verbiage was in error. IMO, we should give Azamara the benefit of the doubt. Without naming anyone in particular, I sincerely hope that we put this item to bed, and move forward.

Edited by Host Andy

Thanks to Uktog and Marinaro44 for their comments.

I am not naive enough to believe EVERYTHING in a brochure i.e. it is not always sunshine and my fellow passengers will not be as slim/glamorous or as young as the brochure photographs show.

I am sure 95% will be older, fatter and less glamorous and I include myself in all 3 categories BUT there is an important principle at stake here.

If you offer something in your print then it should be available as shown.

We have already seen re speciality dining that this is not as described.

in

If you order a Savile Row suit you do not expect to get a Primark or even a Marks & Spencer suit.

(Bloomingdale's vs. Wal-Mart for US readers,)

I note 2015 brochure utilises same wording.

The paragraph should read

24-hour room service and white linen etc during restaurant hours in room service.

At worst it is deceptive and at least poor copy checking at print stage.

What is more frustrating is that this has been dragging on since January when all it needed was an acceptance that wording was poor and it would be amended in future

You are of course technically correct Proctor - their proof reading should be a little better.

This issue is obviously very important to you so why not have a chat with the HD next time you are on board. Azamara are so customer focused no doubt they would serve you dinner in your suite if that is what you want.

It is not an issue for me. I prefer to have dinner with fellow guests

This issue is obviously very important to you so why not have a chat with the HD next time you are on board. Azamara are so customer focused no doubt they would serve you dinner in your suite if that is what you want.

Azamara will serve any suite passenger dinner from the restaurant menu in their suite during restaurant hours. Breakfast and lunch, too. No need for a special favor from the hotel director.

One of the suite perqs listed on the Azamara web site:

"En-Suite dining from restaurant menus for breakfast, lunch and dinner"

Procter and Others,

We appreciate you bringing the 2014 UK brochure error to our attention and apologize for the slowness in responding. We will take your feedback into account as we work on future brochures.

Thank you, Azamara

Terrier1 and Others,

A deployment communication will be delivered to guests and/or their travel agents by Tuesday 26th August regarding the effected sailings of Sept - Nov 2016. The new itineraries will be live on our website by Wednesday 27th August.

Thank you, Azamara.

Terrier1 and Others,

A deployment communication will be delivered to guests and/or their travel agents by Tuesday 26th August regarding the effected sailings of Sept - Nov 2016. The new itineraries will be live on our website by Wednesday 27th August.

Thank you, Azamara.

Thank you for the information.

Great to hear!

Terrier1 and Others,

Thank you, Azamara.

Excellent - thank you for the update