Cost for going solo

marco

Most lines charge 200% for going solo. Do you also pay the 2nd guest cost of port taxes and fees? Does it depend on the line?

No, you do not.

At least with Princess, the Single Supplement is based upon the length of the cruise and the category of the cabin. On all of my cruises, with different cruise lines, the SS has been between 140-170% of the base price. My cabins have always been either interior or obstructed ocean view, I can't afford anything higher.

Edited by Treven

With RCI you will typically pay 150 - 200% of the double occupancy rate as the single rate but you will not be charged the second person taxes and port fees as those are assessed per person actually booked in the stateroom. I am not aware of any line that would vary from this.

RCI also is offering studio type staterooms on their soon to be launched Quantum class ships which are designed for a solo passenger and will be priced as single person.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Don't think of it as paying double...just think of it as the cost of the cabin.....the cost is based on DOUBLE occupancy...

While you are correct that rates are based on double occupancy, by your logic the majority of cruisers who travel with a companion in their room should think of their individual rate as 50% off?? :rolleyes:

Some lines are better suited to cruising solo. As has been posted, RCI has some single cabins. Check other cruise lines as well. I know that Crystal tends to have the lowest single supplement, often 125-135%, depending on the itinerary. Crystal and some of the luxury lines may appear more expensive up front, but when you actually look at everything that is included (drinks alcoholic and nonalcoholic, dinner at specialty restaurants, tips, excursions on some lines, etc.), you actually spend about the same, you are just paying up front versus at the end of the cruise.

Do any of the cruise lines match roommates?

Has anyone tried ways to find a room share?

Not a firm answer to your question as I don't know - not familiar with cruise lines where this is being done.

But on a different note, I would never plan a vacation such as a cruise with an unknown roommate in cramped quarters as found with most ship's staterooms. Sleeping and sharing a small room and smaller bathroom together for a week with a stranger would never be an option with me on my vacation under any circumstances!

Most lines charge 200% for going solo. Do you also pay the 2nd guest cost of port taxes and fees? Does it depend on the line?

No port taxes and fees are per person

Only the fare is 200 percent

But watch they have lots of discounted sole occupancy rates at times down to 125 percent even

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not a firm answer to your question as I don't know - not familiar with cruise lines where this is being done.

But on a different note, I would never plan a vacation such as a cruise with an unknown roommate in cramped quarters as found with most ship's staterooms. Sleeping and sharing a small room and smaller bathroom together for a week with a stranger would never be an option with me on my vacation under any circumstances!

I agree, I have a hard enough job sharing with family! Sharing with a complete stranger would be a nightmare!

The answer I've posted before to the sharing question is: I liken this to a bad blind (oxymoron?) date :eek: that lasts a week, or ten days. Having to share that small bathroom with said blind date. I'd rather pay the single rate.:o

You can find some deals with lower single supplements (sometimes last minute). Cunard charges 175% (sometimes less) for all non-suite staterooms. Holland America usually charges 160% for inside and oceanview cabins. As mentioned, taxes, fees and port charges are not doubled for solo cruisers.

Do any of the cruise lines match roommates?

Has anyone tried ways to find a room share?

No, they do not. Cruise lines don't want the hassle of setting up people who might not get along.

Edited by cruisead

Don't think of it as paying double...just think of it as the cost of the cabin.....the cost is based on DOUBLE occupancy...

Finally the question is answered- the cabin costs what it costs - if one person has it all, he pays for it all, if he shares the cabin with someone they share that cost.

While you are correct that rates are based on double occupancy, by your logic the majority of cruisers who travel with a companion in their room should think of their individual rate as 50% off?? :rolleyes:

No - they should simply realize that if the cabin costs $1,000, for example, they are each paying half of that cost when they each pay $500 - no price reduction is involved - just a sharing of the regular cost.

I recall they only did in mid-range cabins, it ended up you really didn't save very much, and I heard some horror stories.

Navybankerteacher sums it up- the trip you want is going to cost what it costs. As far as percentages- which is less, 200% of $1200 or 125% of $3000? (Both are real-life examples of cruises I have been on, directly comparable Transatlantics. And guess which cruise I enjoyed more.)

Edited by Dancer Bob

They were still doing it 5 years ago in 2009; I met someone on the Westerdam on my Med cruise who was participating in the matching program.

Do you know definitively that they stopped?

I have no firm information on that; I simply recall running into several "sharers" up until about 2004 - and there were notices on travel sites until about then, which I no longer see. If someone were interested HAL might quietly comply.

I am sure it still happens ----- with people connecting on sites like Facebook, or possibly even Craig's List.

No - they should simply realize that if the cabin costs $1,000, for example, they are each paying half of that cost when they each pay $500 - no price reduction is involved - just a sharing of the regular cost.

Believe me - I get it. It was just a light comment at CB's remarks. I think most people understand the double occupancy concept. It just stings a bit I guess with some solo cruisers to realize the total fare (at the full supplement) would bring a second person along with them if they were not solo.