Diamond Drink Vouchers ... Tipping Guidelines?

The tip is for the service, which is the same whether you pay for the drink or not: it's the same effort on the part of the bar staff.

My 9 year old son "got it" when he and his friend would go to eat some place after grammar school. If they observed someone stiffing the wait staff, THEY would leave something for him/her.

If a 9 year old can understand it; certainly adults can, too. That is, of course, if they are just too miserly to want to understand.

Awesome story! You've done a wonderful job of raising your son.

We always tip in the DL or CL. Usually we tip per drink and then an extra tip at the end of the week. I can't believe anyone would tip for what they pay (or don't pay) and not for what the value is. Everyone knows you tip for the value. If someone gives us a gift certificate to a restaurant or we've earned one through Open Table or something, we always tip on what the cost of the entire meal would have been, not what we pay out of pocket. Geez, talk about cheapskates. I would also assume delirious has never waited tables as they have no idea what is proper and appropriate. Those servers work hard and tips are a large part of their pay. Yes, they work in other bars and lounges when they're not in the DL or CL, but while they are in the lounges, their time is being offset in other venues. So, if someone doesn't tip them in the DL or CL, they are losing money they would have made in other venues.

I've seen people discreetly hand a dollar bill for each drink to the server on many occasions. There is someone who posts here who gives dollar coins for each drink and I've seen them do it. I can't remember who it is right now, but I saw him on GR in March doing it in the DL.

Edited by BND

The tip is for the service, which is the same whether you pay for the drink or not: it's the same effort on the part of the bar staff.

My 9 year old son "got it" when he and his friend would go to eat some place after grammar school. If they observed someone stiffing the wait staff, THEY would leave something for him/her.

If a 9 year old can understand it; certainly adults can, too. That is, of course, if they are just too miserly to want to understand.

what a great story. you clearly did something right raising him. The world needs more parents like you. :D

We always tip in the DL or CL. Usually we tip per drink and then an extra tip at the end of the week. I can't believe anyone would tip for what they pay (or don't pay) and not for what the value is. Everyone knows you tip for the value. If someone gives us a gift certificate to a restaurant or we've earned one through Open Table or something, we always tip on what the cost of the entire meal would have been, not what we pay out of pocket. Geez, talk about cheapskates. I would also assume delirious has never waited tables as they have no idea what is proper and appropriate. Those servers work hard and tips are a large part of their pay. Yes, they work in other bars and lounges when they're not in the DL or CL, but while they are in the lounges, their time is being offset in other venues. So, if someone doesn't tip them in the DL or CL, they are losing money they would have made in other venues.

I've seen people discreetly hand a dollar bill for each drink to the server on many occasions. There is someone who posts here who gives dollar coins for each drink and I've seen them do it. I can't remember who it is right now, but I saw him on GR in March doing it in the DL.

I have waited tables and my parents used to own a bar and informal café type restaurant.

:-)

How come we don't tip for drinks in WJ? I know, the tip pool. But it is still service

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Some people do tip in the WJ. However, most of this discussion has been about tipping for free alcoholic drinks. If you ordered a glass of wine in the WJ you would be signing a tab with a 15% gratuity. If you order a glass of wine in the CL or DL you do not sign a tab and there is no 15% gratuity.

what a great story. you clearly did something right raising him. The world needs more parents like you. :D

I agree totally he is a credit to you and would be a pleasure to have on board not pushing lift buttons

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Some people do tip in the WJ. However, most of this discussion has been about tipping for free alcoholic drinks. If you ordered a glass of wine in the WJ you would be signing a tab with a 15% gratuity. If you order a glass of wine in the CL or DL you do not sign a tab and there is no 15% gratuity.

Correct, but there was discussion about tipping bartender for water. Curious how that is different in bar vs WJ

Correct, but there was discussion about tipping bartender for water. Curious how that is different in bar vs WJ

Not sure it's significant, but the crewmembers that serve the "free" drinks in Windjammer are usually assistant waiters. The crewmembers that serve drinks in a bar, or alcoholic drinks on Windjammer are bar servers.

Awesome story! You've done a wonderful job of raising your son.

Ha! Thanks. Both my boys are good with dogs, old people, treat women good, and give up their seats. They ain't perfect, but they know how to treat people decently.

How come we don't tip for drinks in WJ? I know, the tip pool. But it is still service

In my opinion it's because they are tipped with your daily tips charged to your account. The discussion here is about the bar staff who are only tipped by the drink.

I agree totally he is a credit to you and would be a pleasure to have on board not pushing lift buttons

If I caught my now 32 year old son doing that, I'd think he was crazy!

Another story: we went on a family cruise in 2008. It was the first time since they were teenagers that they were on a cruise ship, so it was like the first time. When they would order drinks, or sign at the table for wine from their wine package, they would both add another 15 - 20% out of habit. When I told them the tips were included, they looked at each other and shrugged. One of them said, "No wonder they are so happy to see us!".

I have waited tables and my parents used to own a bar and informal café type restaurant.

In the US? Did you depend on tips?

Both our boys (28 and 30) have bought us meals (Mother's and Father's day and birthdays) and always tip 20% just like they saw us doing the entire time they were growing up. Even when our money was tight and we would just adjust where we ate, but we always left 20% and still do.

In the US? Did you depend on tips?

Both our boys (28 and 30) have bought us meals (Mother's and Father's day and birthdays) and always tip 20% just like they saw us doing the entire time they were growing up. Even when our money was tight and we would just adjust where we ate, but we always left 20% and still do.

I tip 20% or above even in europen countries and tip the 'mandatory' tips on a cruise and more to cleaners, entertainers, room service etc.

I just have a principle of not tipping in the DL due to this being an earned perk.

Edited by delirious9876

I tip 20% or above even in europen countries and tip the 'mandatory' tips on a cruise and more to cleaners, entertainers, room service etc.

I just have a principle of not tipping in the DL due to this being an earned perk.

"Not tipping on free drinks" is not a principle. It's a mistake. It's a conscious decision to penalize people who are working for you.

As someone else stated, the liquid is the perk. The service is still something that you should acknowledge with a tip.

Now, I am very clear that no one here is going to change your mind, but I also assure you that you are in the extremely tiny minority on this thread who do what you do. Thank goodness.

"Not tipping on free drinks" is not a principle. It's a mistake. It's a conscious decision to penalize people who are working for you.

As someone else stated, the liquid is the perk. The service is still something that you should acknowledge with a tip.

Now, I am very clear that no one here is going to change your mind, but I also assure you that you are in the extremely tiny minority on this thread who do what you do. Thank goodness.

Thanks for your comments and I appreciate totally I'm in the minority in this.

The DL staff will still get plenty of tips in the other bars they work in afterwards ( off me if one of them serves me)

(PS - is the minority so very small or are other CC members just not as vocal or honest? - we'll never know)

However please don't discount how generous I am at other times :-)

Edited by delirious9876

If I caught my now 32 year old son doing that, I'd think he was crazy!

Another story: we went on a family cruise in 2008. It was the first time since they were teenagers that they were on a cruise ship, so it was like the first time. When they would order drinks, or sign at the table for wine from their wine package, they would both add another 15 - 20% out of habit. When I told them the tips were included, they looked at each other and shrugged. One of them said, "No wonder they are so happy to see us!".

Just spat my drink out laughing at that

Yeah they would be happy for tips like that

I often tip my cl or dl waiters in their own bar

I'll buy one drink and give them ten. Stuff like that

Hate tipping every drink

Just off the Allure where we used the pre-loaded drinks options every night of the cruise rather than going to the CL. I always add a tip and had two servers thank me for thinking to do so. It seems many people must not be tipping.

My upcoming cruise will be the first time I sailed since they added the drink vouchers. When you use the diamond vouchers that are loaded on your sea pass card, does the bartender present you with a slip to sign where you can add a gratuity? If not, do you recommend carrying some cash for a gratuity for that before-dinner drink? And what is the recommended amount of tip?

What ever you decide to give. Better service bigger Tips. Just go with the Flow and have fun do not get stressed out about Tipping.