Does Spring break have enough kids?

Peace2U

My family and I are thinking about a 4 night Bahama cruise during Spring break on the Constellation. Hubby and I have an 11 year old boy. Are there enough kids on during that time to make it fun for him? We cruised Celebrity a few years ago, but without him. It was great!

Spring break can take place anytime from end of February to mid April, your spring break might be different Than someone else's so we suggest you go to your specific cruisenRoll Call and inquire there how many travelers are bringing children, which will give you a general feel for your cruise demographics

It depends on when your spring break is. Ours is the first week of March. Last year, on a 7 day sailing to the Caribbean, there were not many kids at all - maybe a dozen or two (Our daughters were with us, so I'm including teens in my estimate). But the next week, the ship was expecting over 300 children. I assume there would be a lot of kids the weeks before and after Easter. Have fun deciding!

My family and I are thinking about a 4 night Bahama cruise during Spring break on the Constellation. Hubby and I have an 11 year old boy. Are there enough kids on during that time to make it fun for him? We cruised Celebrity a few years ago, but without him. It was great!

My understanding is that Holidays & whenever the kids are out of school see Families / kids on Celebrity's Ships

That said if I had schoolage kids who are active & want to explore, and do fun things with their peers... I would not choose a Celebrity Ship, as their main focus isn't kids, it is adults (just look at their ads / pics)

If I was a kid I'd probably be bored.

And if someone had asked me as a kid... It would be an easy choice if you showed me the pics for Carnival - Disney - Norwegian - or Royal where I would want to be (anywhere but Celebrity) as those others clearly market to families with great things to do aboard

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

I do not exactly agree with SloopJohnB.

First of all this is a four day cruise and these shorter cruises tend to entice younger crowds and that includes families with children.

Secondly, I think Celebrity does a fine job with their children's programs. They may not be as focused as Disney but the youngsters seem to enjoy every minute. Every afternoon when they head to the Lido for ice cream and cookies I try to take a peek to see the happy sailors.

We sailed early April 2013 on Reflection with 750 children on board (way to many) and April 2014 with a lot less but that was a 10 day cruise and we were hoping for less. April 2015 is on Summit, and with airfare prices, we're hoping there will be less kids, but will see. I'm not sure why we keep sailing in April.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

This can be a busy time and there will be a lot of kids. :)

That said if I had schoolage kids who are active & want to explore, and do fun things with their peers... I would not choose a Celebrity Ship, as their main focus isn't kids, it is adults (just look at their ads / pics)

If you go during a popular school vacation time, there WILL be kids. We did Alaska in the summer with the kids, and there were plenty of others on board. My now 16 yo (was 14 at the time) still stays in touch with other teens he met and hung out with that week, and my younger son had a blast as well.

I do not exactly agree with SloopJohnB.

First of all this is a four day cruise and these shorter cruises tend to entice younger crowds and that includes families with children.

Absolutely. A 4 day cruise to the Bahamas? During spring break? There will absolutely be kids on board. Shorter, less expensive cruises like that are sometimes the only time a family can afford to cruise with their kids. :)

My understanding is that Holidays & whenever the kids are out of school see Families / kids on Celebrity's Ships

If I was a kid I'd probably be bored.

And if someone had asked me as a kid... It would be an easy choice if you showed me the pics for Carnival - Disney - Norwegian - or Royal where I would want to be (anywhere but Celebrity) as those others clearly market to families with great things to do aboard

Cheers!

As someone who actually has taken their kids on over 10 Celebrity cruises, your comments about Celebrity's childrens programs are not accurate at all. My children sailed on Royal, a cruise line specifically for families called American Family Cruises and on the Big REd Boat when they had the Disney characters. They much preferred Celebrity cruises. To say that Celebrity doesn't market to families is also not correct, Celebrity realizes that if they did not they would not be a functioning cruise line. Do you really think Celebrity would still be around if they didn't market to families.

In answer to the OPs question, as others have said Spring Break covers a lot of territory. If the cruise is the week before or after Easter, there will be loads of kids. The four day Connie cruises will also generate more families so you should be in good shape.

Part of what makes Celebrity a nice cruise line is that it is not like Carnival or RCCL that has all the things that attract or interest youths. Therefore many do not find it a cruise line for them. When Celbrity starts advertising or adds those things it will no longer be Celebrity but RCCL and Carnival.

There will be youths and they will enjoy themselves but may be not as much as they would on those other lines, but those that are more reserve will enjoy the line as many on those other lines are rude, and pushy. Sometimes less is a good thing for all.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

a 4 night cruise during Spring Break will have a butt ton of college students drinking 24/7.

as to whether or not there will be kids HIS age, who knows. depends on when the middle and high schools have their breaks.

As someone who actually has taken their kids on over 10 Celebrity cruises, your comments about Celebrity's childrens programs are not accurate at all. My children sailed on Royal, a cruise line specifically for families called American Family Cruises and on the Big REd Boat when they had the Disney characters. They much preferred Celebrity cruises. To say that Celebrity doesn't market to families is also not correct, Celebrity realizes that if they did not they would not be a functioning cruise line. Do you really think Celebrity would still be around if they didn't market to families.

In answer to the OPs question, as others have said Spring Break covers a lot of territory. If the cruise is the week before or after Easter, there will be loads of kids. The four day Connie cruises will also generate more families so you should be in good shape.

I get that not everyone Is going to agree with my comments.

But I will defend them and say they are factual.

Just look at any Celebrity ads / brochures... One or two pics of kis & families... Tons of pics of couples.

When they remodeled the M-Class Ships it was to add more spaces marketed specifically at adult interests (Aqua Class)... So much so that they moved the Fun Factory Kids space to a less desirable / less travelled part of the ship.

I didn't say that Celebrity didn't welcome ALL their Pax... Just that they market specifically for a different demographic than some of the other more family friendly lines.

For sure there are kid focused activities on Celebrity... But you are not going to find the water slides, wave riders, rock climbing, ice skating, zip lines etc that other lines have.

Kids may "hang out" and meet new friends wherever they go, but that doesn't mean they won't be bored or wouldn't rather be on a Disney or NCL ship.

And as for fellow Pax...

Hey I love kids... Have some of my own, and I wouldn't hesitate to cruise with the Grandbabies when they come along

But I am perhaps a bit more laid back than your average Celebrity Cruiser (that has been proved out many times here on the flame throwing threads)

Seems to me that clearly some of the most heated cruise discussions about Celebrity have happened on Cruises where there have been lots & lots of kids aboard.

The American Girl Cruise is but one example... There are many other posts about Pax upset with kids running around, screaming, teens commandeering the pools, creating mischief in the elevators etc.

Personally, I think it is cause the kids are bored more than anything else.

Some may say the unruly kids are the Parents fault... I agree with that too.

Cause if the Parents had done their homework and actually looked at what Celebrity had to offer... And compared to other lines, and figured out what their kids needed wanted to have a good vacation... Then chances are they might not have chosen Celebrity.

When one has kids it is a Parent's responsibility to look out / take care of them. Put their needs above the adults.

Some people do this... And some don't.

The kids getting into mischief I've found more often than not are bored... Not engaged kids. And when it comes to vacation... Especially a family vacation, I clearly see that as a Parent's responsibility in the planning dept.

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

I get that not everyone Is going to agree with my comments.

But I will defend them and say they are factual.

Just look at any Celebrity ads / brochures... One or two pics of kis & families... Tons of pics of couples.

When they remodeled the M-Class Ships it was to add more spaces marketed specifically at adult interests (Aqua Class)... So much so that they moved the Fun Factory Kids space to a less desirable / less travelled part of the ship.

I didn't say that Celebrity didn't welcome ALL their Pax... Just that they market specifically for a different demographic than some of the other more family friendly lines.

For sure there are kid focused activities on Celebrity... But you are not going to find the water slides, wave riders, rock climbing, ice skating, zip lines etc that other lines have.

Kids may "hang out" and meet new friends wherever they go, but that doesn't mean they won't be bored or wouldn't rather be on a Disney or NCL ship.

And as for fellow Pax...

Hey I love kids... Have some of my own, and I wouldn't hesitate to cruise with the Grandbabies when they come along

But I am perhaps a bit more laid back than your average Celebrity Cruiser (that has been proved out many times here on the flame throwing threads)

Seems to me that clearly some of the most heated cruise discussions about Celebrity have happened on Cruises where there have been lots & lots of kids aboard.

The American Girl Cruise is but one example... There are many other posts about Pax upset with kids running around, screaming, teens commandeering the pools, creating mischief in the elevators etc.

Personally, I think it is cause the kids are bored more than anything else.

Some may say the unruly kids are the Parents fault... I agree with that too.

Cause if the Parents had done their homework and actually looked at what Celebrity had to offer... And compared to other lines, and figured out what their kids needed wanted to have a good vacation... Then chances are they might not have chosen Celebrity.

When one has kids it is a Parent's responsibility to look out / take care of them. Put their needs above the adults.

Some people do this... And some don't.

The kids getting into mischief I've found more often than not are bored... Not engaged kids. And when it comes to vacation... Especially a family vacation, I clearly see that as a Parent's responsibility in the planning dept.

Cheers!

Once again you are commenting about things you know nothing about. The kids on the American girl cruise had plenty to do and the complaints as I remember were not because they were bored but basically because they were treating their dolls as people. I stand behind what I said and the difference between our comments is mine is based upon experience,your's is not as usual.

I would also remind you as I did last year that not all the knowledge is in books or web sites.

Edited by dkjretired

Once again you are commenting about things you know nothing about. The kids on the American girl cruise had plenty to do and the complaints as I remember were not because they were bored but basically because they were treating their dolls as people. I stand behind what I said and the difference between our comments is mine is based upon experience,your's is not as usual.

I would also remind you as I did last year that not all the knowledge is in books or web sites.

Lol... Treating their dolls as people I believe was but one complaint... Running amuck / relatively unsupervised was the major one I took away from the many posts.

Alas again, always the jab from you regarding my cruise history vs yours (you really need to play a new tune)

A Discussion Forum is meant for discussion / opinion. I am entitled to mine, you to yours.

My comments are based on observation... The cruises I've been on and the reading / research i do surrounding Celebrity

And IMHO Celebrity does not outright focus on marketing to children (the crux of my Original reply)

Of course after my December cruise I will be in a far better position to say exactly what my findings are on this matter first hand.

I doubt they'll change drastically... As you some how think they will based on your many years of sailing Celebrity. :rolleyes:

If they do... You will be first to know.

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Lol... Treating their dolls as people I believe was but one complaint... Running amuck / relatively unsupervised was the major one I took away from the many posts.

Alas again, always the jab from you regarding my cruise history vs yours (you really need to play a new tune)

A Discussion Forum is meant for discussion / opinion. I am entitled to mine, you to yours.

My comments are based on observation... The cruises I've been on and the reading / research i do surrounding Celebrity

And IMHO Celebrity does not outright focus on marketing to children (the crux of my Original reply)

Of course after my December cruise I will be in a far better position to say exactly what my findings are on this matter first hand.

I doubt they'll change drastically... As you some how think they will based on your many years of sailing Celebrity. :rolleyes:

If they do... You will be first to know.

Cheers!

I have purposely tried not to throw up cruise history with you however in this case it is relevant. How can you make such sweeping comments on the children programs when you have no knowledge of them personally. Why not just stick to factual comments or at least when you post an opinion, give some basis for it.

Edited by dkjretired

I have purposely tried not to throw up cruise history with you however in this case it is relevant. How can you make such sweeping comments on the children programs when you have no knowledge of them personally. Why not just stick to factual comments or at least when you post an opinion, give some basis for it.

I did...

I clearly said in my post it was based on Celebrity marketing, ads and facilities available for kids on the ships (no watersides, wave riders, rock climbing, ice skating, zip lines etc).

As well as my observations while I've cruised... What is onboard, and how a lot of kids we saw seem disinterested / bored (and therefore have to find some other way to burn off energy)

My other comments were based on past posts here on this the Celebrity Board... Something that anyone can read for themselves (but a newcomer may not be aware of having not been here in 2012)

It was you who read something else into my post besides what I actually said.

And I am at a loss why you continually do so, and post comments related to my posts not being factual (fictional was your latest word). My comments continue to be based on my experiences & opinions just like they are for any other CC member.

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

I did...

I clearly said in my post it was based on Celebrity marketing, ads and facilities available for kids on the ships (no watersides, wave riders, rock climbing, ice skating, zip lines etc).

As well as my observations while I've cruised... What is onboard, and how a lot of kids we saw seem disinterested / bored (and therefore have to find some other way to burn off energy)

My other comments were based on past posts here on this the Celebrity Board... Something that anyone can read for themselves (but a newcomer may not be aware of having not been here in 2012)

It was you who read something else into my post besides what I actually said.

And I am at a loss why you continually do so, and post comments related to my posts not being factual (fictional was your latest word). My comments continue to be based on my experiences & opinions just like they are for any other CC member.

Cheers!

But yet, no observations of the programs themselves....That is what you are missing, go back and check some of the comments on this board. You will see many comments from parents whose kids have been on Royal, NCL and yes, even Disney who prefer Celebrity. The one thing that many of these comments have in common is children saying they received much more individualized treatment on Celebrity then other lines.

You are a very valuable resource on this board because of the research that you do and your enthusiasm but please temper it with opinions that are based on fact.

. . . Just look at any Celebrity ads / brochures... One or two pics of kis & families... Tons of pics of couples.
Actually MOST of the pictures are of scenery or buildings -- so if we are basing who Celebrity is marketing upon the pictures in their ads, I think that beaches, old buildings and mountains are their target passengers. :D

I see plenty of marketing from Celebrity aimed at family market, but of course I regularly visit web sites geared and read magazines that are geared toward families. I am in marketing and if Celebrity is doing their job right you are looking at marketing aimed squarely toward your demographic. Some lines use a more generic marketing campaign so you may see family-related content in those lines' ads.

. . . there are kid focused activities on Celebrity... But you are not going to find the water slides, wave riders, rock climbing, ice skating, zip lines etc that other lines have.

Not all adults have the same interests, nor do all kids. My DD is most interested in the social aspects of the trip -- meeting new friends. Her favorite cruises were not DCL, NCL or the big RCCI ships - her favorites were on RCCI Splendour and Celebrity Solsitice. Part of the reason I suspect was that there was not the peer pressure to "try" the zip line or wave rider or whatever.

Many kids may be bored if the number of "cool" physical activies are missing. But there are many adults who would be just as bored without the wave rider or whatever. Bored kids may loiter, bored adults tend to drink heavily -- just saying :D

I have two co-workers in their 30's who went on a cruise with their wives -- these are folks with boats and jet-skis and snow mobiles and snow boards. They chose a RCCI Behemoth-of-the-sea type ship and "skipped" going on shore at most ports.

. . . And as for fellow Pax...Seems to me that clearly some of the most heated cruise discussions about Celebrity have happened on Cruises where there have been lots & lots of kids aboard. . . . Personally, I think it is cause the kids are bored more than anything else....
Seems all line's discussions on these boards have very heated discussions about dress code, chair hogs and kids. Again not specific to Celebrity.

. . . if the Parents had done their homework and actually looked at what Celebrity had to offer... And compared to other lines, and figured out what their kids needed wanted to have a good vacation....
Yup, EVERYONE should do their homework and select a vacation that best meets the interests of all those involved. They should feel free to chose Celebrity if that line and that ship and that itinerary would meet their needs.

Broad sweeping generalizations of any group of people really are not helpful.

Will there be a lot of tween aged kids on a short cruise during the Spring Break period? Probably.

The OP did not indicate if their 11YO DS preferred video games to wave pools or whatever. If they had, the other posters could address what types of activites would be available to an 11YO boy that might interest him or what might be missing.

March 12-16 is Canadian/Ontario March Break .... there will be kids on board!!!

Like someone mentioned above, not all kids are the same and look for the same things. My kids LOVE waterparks, they just don't need one on their floating vacation vessel. My kids have sailed Carnival, Disney (2x), Royal (2x) and HAL. Their favourite .... HAL! They prefer having fewer kids on board. There have been some cruises where they hated going to the kid's club because there were just too many kids there. When we left, HAL, this was the one and only cruise they cried and begged us to stay onboard. They remember Eurodam as the BEST cruise ever.

We sail Nov 15th, and I'm hoping we have such a great time, we book for March Break too!

Given the fact that on the other lines that have been mentioned, there are a TON of ships that do NOT have wave riders, ice skating, zip lines etc, it's hardly fair to assume that since X ships have none of this, kids will be bored on X. On Royal for example, overhalf the fleet has no skating rink, only 2 ships have a zip line, and only a few more have a wave rider. They all have a rock wall, but having been on several of their ships with my kids, I can tell you that a rock wall hardly entertains kids for a week. They might climb it once or twice, or even a few times, but it's not as though it provides constant entertainment. I think you misjudge how much time the average kid spends actually doing any of these things other than perhaps a water slide.

Your signature says you've been on exactly two cruises. Is that correct? What time of year? (just curious)

March 12-16 is Canadian/Ontario March Break .... there will be kids on board!!!

Yay!!! Thanks!

When we left, HAL, this was the one and only cruise they cried and begged us to stay onboard. They remember Eurodam as the BEST cruise ever.
I would never have thunk it! HAL is the only major line we haven't tried, but will someday.

We have always been told by Celebrity staff that children are not turned away obviously but that they aren't really encouraged and that is actually the main reason why we always book with Celebrity as you rarely see kids on board.

Just giving you this from a different point of view. I think if I was taking kids on a cruise I would go for RCL or some of the more fun ships for the kids.

The 4 night sailings for the Connie are at a time that almost all Spring Breaks would be from colleges and not the age of your child. We went in March of this year on a 5 niter and there were about 50-100 college students, some with parents and some without. As for kids younger maybe 50 at the most.

The hotel we stayed at prior to the cruise had a bunch of families with kids (8-15) that were going on Celebrity but all were going on the 7 day cruise, I think it was the Equinox?

After writing this I saw the post about Canadian March Break... never thought about that.

Edited by bobsfamily
Another post