ridiculous prices?

We just booked an RCI cruise. We cruise often but usually book either just outside, or inside the final payment window.

We typically select one or two itineraries and a few ships-Celebrity, Princess, sometimes HAL, and RCI. RCI has been well down on the list for at least our last seven cruises for one reason. Price. The price was too high, in some cases 30 percent higher that a similar Celebrity cruise. Same with Princess-but oddly enough we also now have a Princess cruise booked.

I think we also got great deal on the 1st bogo deal. We paid $865pp and $766pp for an oceanview balcony and boardwalk balcony on Oasis in Jan 2016. Thats before C&A discounts, now they're both close to $1000pp

I've often thought about doing the whole booking thing backwards, buying the air 1st, then waiting til after final payment to book the cruise. If i cant find anything then it looks like a nice vacation in South Florida :D

anyone else feel that these prices that RCCL are charging these days are crazy? a balcony cabin 7 night cruise on oasis in january is over $2000 per person? I have sailed mostly RCCL over the last 5 years but heck mide as well sail with disney with the kids for that price! I guess I just wanted to vent a bit.

Yes, prices are high now. As long as people are willing to pay those prices, they will charge them, or raise them to see how high they will go. When the cabins stop selling, prices will drop.

We cherry pick.

Our upcoming RCI cruise is scheduled for when we on a land based vacation. We have done this a few times. We tend to be very flexible in order to take advantage of good offers.

Cannot imagine limiting ourselves to one cruise line-thought lately it seems to have been more Celebrity than anything else because of ship, itinerary, and price.

In response to the original poster, I feel the same way. We've been spoiled by having a balcony room, so it's a must when we cruise. We would love to go on the Oasis/Allure, but we are finding that it is pricey. I'm finding $2000 per cabin as well. I suspect that prices for those ships will go down once Quantum/Anthem debuts, but it is frustrating. I'm finding that Celebrity is cheaper than Royal these days, who is typically more expensive.

I've noticed that Celebrity is typically cheaper than Royal on the standard 7-nt Caribbean itineraries. In fact, a number of weeks I mock booked in the past couple of years had Aqua Class on Silhouette and Reflection available for the price of a regular Oceanview balcony on Oasis / Allure. We would still take Oasis / Allure because they deliver the specific product we're looking for on a standard 7-nt Caribbean sailing, but for others X would definitely be a better deal. If I found a similar pricing situation in Europe, on the other hand, I'd take Aqua on X.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Yes, prices are high now. As long as people are willing to pay those prices, they will charge them, or raise them to see how high they will go. When the cabins stop selling, prices will drop.

Why is that so hard for some people to understand:confused: Supply and demand rule and any company worth its salt will charge whatever they believe the market will bear.

Why is that so hard for some people to understand:confused: Supply and demand rule and any company worth its salt will charge whatever they believe the market will bear.

The Serenade cruise which has increased 50% in price and sails in 4 weeks has all grades cabins unsold including 4 JS , 7 GS and 1 OS cabin

The Serenade cruise which has increased 50% in price and sails in 4 weeks has all grades cabins unsold including 4 JS , 7 GS and 1 OS cabin

Oh I get it now, prices are supposed to stay the same the whole time a cruise is for sale:rolleyes: As a rule for 18 months

Edited by setsail

Yes, we've had some of our least expensive cruises the week after New Year's.

My parents usually cruise back to back NYE week to the week after and that week after is usually very inexpensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Yes, we've had some of our least expensive cruises the week after New Year's.

1st part of January after the holidays can be low. Very true as its right after the holidays. Kids are back to school. Families are back to work.

Bt it all depends on what week(s) you travel in January.

We normally cruise the 3rd week of January every year. It's much higher then when we sail in April/May..or Oct/Nov

(Plus other months as well through the year but faithfully every January for my birthday ;)

The fare we usually pay doesn't equal low season ;)

(Taking out the high times when kids are on school holidays)

Edited by vacation_junkie

Maybe compared to what you are used to but we have paid prices like that for some time

Probably a prep price so sales sound better also

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wait for the WOW sale for prices to go UP.. I mean down ;)

anyone else feel that these prices that RCCL are charging these days are crazy? a balcony cabin 7 night cruise on oasis in january is over $2000 per person? I have sailed mostly RCCL over the last 5 years but heck mide as well sail with disney with the kids for that price! I guess I just wanted to vent a bit.

It's outrageous! $524 per person for a 9-night cruise. What are they thinking?

We did an upgrade to the balcony about a week after final payment date. I guess a lot of cabins had been released. Cheapest inside we did was 2 years ago in May on Oasis for $1550. 2 years in a row on Oasis in May. Doing the 5 day Vision in 4 weeks. $653 total

Where are you getting 4K (2K pp)?

Ocean view balcony rates I found

Jan 3rd $3200 for 2

Jan 10 $3457 for 2

Jan 17 $2699 for 2

Jan 24 $3112 for 2

Next year Jan 2016 all dates around $2400 for 2

pay not to wait too long to book

Maybe after taxes/fees?

Agreed. I was looking at Oasis for the first week of June and even after Kids Sail Free I figure that it'll still be 1/3 less for us to buy Unlimited Premium Disney passes for an entire year. :(