Double/Triple Deposits

sail7seas

I read recently somewhere else that people put a deposit on two or three cruises and hold the reservation until last minute to decide which cruise they are going to actually pay for and go.

I can't imagine doing that. Surely there are other people who are shut out of a cruise they really want because of lack of availability for cabins they want.

This is downside to full refund of deposits for North Americans. From what I've read here, UK cruisers have a penalty for cancelling.

Do you know people who do this? You think it okay?

Do you think HAL should institute cancellation penalties to avoid it?

Edited by sail7seas

I doubt if its a huge issue since I bet a lot of folks don't book until final because they are on to hals games. I wouldn't do it myself because it seems like a hassle to me. To be honest, I don't know a ton a people that cruise outside the people on cc, so i can't say that I know anyone.

It's hard for me to imagine someone being so indecisive they can't choose which cruise they want. :eek: Also seems a bit selfish but.....

I don't know if it is a huge issue and I suppose that is why I am asking but I think you are likely right it is not.

Edited by sail7seas

I think if the HAL computer system flagged a person with overlapping date reservations, like say one departing from Boston and one on the same day from FLL, that should not be allowed. On the other hand, if the dates don't over lap, what's to say the person isn't really going to take both trips?

I know of a person who went to 3 different Best Buys and bought three different video cameras just to try them out, knowing that he would only keep the best of the three and return the others within the 14 day refund period.

Now the two that were returned must be sold at an "open-box" price. Not really fair, but within the stores policy. Kind of the same thing as reserving several cruises.

I don't know, you have to book far out to get the cabin you want and Hal ask for up front money which they get to use for a year or so. I don't see there are any losers here if the person changes there minds at the last minute.

We kind of just did that a few months ago. We were booked on a 7 day and then saw whiles we were on board a another cruise that there was a connecting cruise for 5 days but we couldn't get the cabin we wanted. We booked it but we were not happy about the cabin. After all considered, we canceled the 7 day and took the full 12 day but we waited to the very last minute to do it, just in case the cabin we wanted became available, but it didn't.

I see the point you make and the only loser really is the person who wants to book that cruise but there is no availability if a number of people are holding cabins they probably won't use.

I agree if HAL policy permits it,,,,,

This past week, I booked the Statendam's final HAL voyage, Seattle to Singapore. The cabin availability, the pricing, and the itinerary were powerful factors in doing so. But, as I told my travel agent, when the rest of 2015 and 2016 schedules become known, I may change my mind and change the reservation. I feared waiting to make this booking could result in a higher price, difficulty in getting the cabin or cabin category I desired, or being shut out all together.

At least for this cruise, the deposit requirement is so high that I think it would discourage possible frivilous bookings.

I don't know, you have to book far out to get the cabin you want and Hal ask for up front money which they get to use for a year or so. I don't see there are any losers here if the person changes there minds at the last minute.

We kind of just did that a few months ago. We were booked on a 7 day and then saw whiles we were on board a another cruise that there was a connecting cruise for 5 days but we couldn't get the cabin we wanted. We booked it but we were not happy about the cabin. After all considered, we canceled the 7 day and took the full 12 day but we waited to the very last minute to do it, just in case the cabin we wanted became available, but it didn't.

I think this is a reasonable, logistical thing to do.

A Pacific Northwest cruise???

Edited by SilvertoGold

I see the point you make and the only loser really is the person who wants to book that cruise but there is no availability if a number of people are holding cabins they probably won't use.

I agree if HAL policy permits it,,,,,

You hear that any given cabin can turn over 8 times before sailing. Cancellations, simple changes of mind, decisions to upgrade, lots of reasons.

I don't judge this type of thing. There is lots for everyone usually.

Never really thought about it but I guess it is not much worse than travel agents holding huge banks of rooms and liberating them when they remain unsold.

Exactly. TA's have until a certain date to sell the bank of rooms they have on hold, then they come back into the inventory. Is this really a topic that needs a thread? Everyone does their bookings in their own way. Just because someone doesn't think that's right doesn't mean it is wrong!

Edited by Lizzie68

Exactly. TA's have until a certain date to sell the bank of rooms they have on hold, then they come back into the inventory. Is this really a topic that needs a thread? Everyone does their bookings in their own way.

funny I was thinking the same thing. As soon as you get to a 10 day/11 day cruise (can't remember) $ have to be paid on top of the FCD and if you miss cancellation you forfeit both. Hey, people book and cancel for a variety of reasons, health, flights, complications, whatever.

I can't see someone wasting/risking wasting money on a cruise while they 'contemplate' . we don't. but, if they do, each to their own.

I don't think it has a huge effect in the overall weight of things.

funny I was thinking the same thing. As soon as you get to a 10 day/11 day cruise (can't remember) $ have to be paid on top of the FCD and if you miss cancellation you forfeit both. Hey, people book and cancel for a variety of reasons, health, flights, complications, whatever.

I can't see someone wasting/risking wasting money on a cruise while they 'contemplate' . we don't. but, if they do, each to their own.

I don't think it has a huge effect in the overall weight of things.

Right, good points, Kazu.

This past week, I booked the Statendam's final HAL voyage, Seattle to Singapore. The cabin availability, the pricing, and the itinerary were powerful factors in doing so. But, as I told my travel agent, when the rest of 2015 and 2016 schedules become known, I may change my mind and change the reservation. I feared waiting to make this booking could result in a higher price, difficulty in getting the cabin or cabin category I desired, or being shut out all together.

At least for this cruise, the deposit requirement is so high that I think it would discourage possible frivilous bookings.

When is the final Statendam Voyage. I was on the 1st sailing in 93 and the world in 94. I think I should consider the final..

When is the final Statendam Voyage. I was on the 1st sailing in 93 and the world in 94. I think I should consider the final..

Leaves Seattle on September 21 to Singapore for 30 days. Overnight in Honolulu and in Singapore (but a 4:00 P. M. arrival on the day before disembarkation, so that would be a "short" day for any sightseeing. Maybe another visit to the Night Safari at their Zoo?) Many off the beaten path ports. And, pricing, at least for outsides, is great!

<snip>

Everyone does their bookings in their own way. Just because someone doesn't think that's right doesn't mean it is wrong!

Of course, like in all things, we don't have to have the same opinion. :)

But most everyone has an opinion. No need to agree with each other all the time, is there? How boring !

If people don't start threads, don't bring up subjects, don't express opinions, what happens to this forum? Should we become afraid to voice an opinion because people who don't agree with it will inevitably slam them? What are we going to talk about if we have to be afraid of being knocked all the time?

I put my neck out there and it gives people something to think about. I'm willing to do that but more shy or reserve people will decline. I have thick skin. Let's not make it an automatic habit, okay?

Edited by sail7seas

Often a person's situation changes for a number of reasons and they have to cancel. I just went through this due to a medical problem and was not sure if I would be able to go, so I canceled just before final payment. If I get an OK from my doctor to travel at my next appointment I may just end up rebooking the same cruise!

I would not book several cruises for the same time however and then canceling all but one. That just seems a bit much to me (and I am sure the TA involved).

DaveOKC

I posted in a way that indicated people who purposefully book two or three cruises at the same time knowing they will only go on one cruise, IF even that. I am not talking about the person who loses their job, gets sick, loses their babysitter or whatever.

Of course, I have cancelled more than one cruise through the years. My post was not about something unexpected that arose. It was about being indecisive and reserving cabins they know they will never use all of them.

Edited by sail7seas

I think this is a reasonable, logistical thing to do.

A Pacific Northwest cruise???

You are right SilvertoGold, but I will say there were plenty of openings on the seven day so we weren't depriving anyone from a cabin. In fact we passed the cabin along to some friends. I guess what I was trying to say there sometimes are good reason for double booking cruises, but I don't know that could be said for triple booking.

Well, I for one am totally OK with folks holding cabins 'til the last possible moment in order to decide which one they want -- we are the kind of cruisers who take advantage of last minute pricing, which of course we would not be able to do if there were restrictions on holding cabins.

"Fairness" is not a word which has much meaning in capitalism. Profit-making companies are in the business of -- well, making profits! And they will establish policies that best allow them to do that. Customers will abide by the company's policies and buy the product, or they won't. If company managers feel there are other policies that will make them more money, they'll establish those.

I have read so many threads where folks complain about how much more they paid by reserving cabins in advance, compared to those who took advantage of last minute pricing. There seems to be no lack of folks ready to gripe about what others got that they didn't!

It's hard for me to imagine someone being so indecisive they can't choose which cruise they want. :eek: Also seems a bit selfish but.....

I don't know if it is a huge issue and I suppose that is why I am asking but I think you are likely right it is not.

I have done this three times in the past year as I recover from injuries sustained in a pedestrian vs SUV accident. The first time I wondered if I would ever be able to cruise solo again, so I booked both a cheap cruise with an understanding friend and an undemanding solo Caribbean trip. My friend had a family emergency, so I ventured out alone, with much trepidation, on the solo cruise. With that success I booked both a short and long NE/Canada cruise. Since I felt increasingly confident in my mobility, I cancelled the shorter and took the longer. I booked two Med itineraries, one fairly inexpensive (for HAL) and the other much longer and port intensive. I did not cancel the inexpensive cruise until the last minute (without penalty) when I could be sure I was strong enough to make the longer trip worthwhile.

If I have inconvenienced anyone, I sincerely apologize. However, HAL has certainly profited from my indecision; 42 Day Atlantic Adventurer, here I come!

The cruise lines could get around this issue if it were to become a big problem by doing what airlines and hotels do - offer cheaper rates for advance booking that are nonrefundable. Of course, people could be reimbursed for family or medical emergency cancellations by purchasing insurance. But then they would be out the insurance fee and perhaps a 10% penalty. Not too many folks would do frivolous bookings at this cost.