How long to stay in Singapore and Hong Kong, pre- and post-cruise?

psygist

We will be on a cruise that embarks in Singapore and disembarks in Hong Kong. We want to extend our trip at both ends so that we can visit and tour these cities. How many days in each city is sufficient to see the sights? Thanks!

I visited Hong Kong in 1981 and returned with DW at the end of our three week China tour in September 2012.

I was surprised at how much Hong Kong had grown and become more modern and prosperous.

When I visited in 81, I spent three or four days there and had something to do each day. Our last visit was for two days.

The tour of the city that includes Victoria's Peak, Repulse Bay and other notable stops in the city will take about 4 hours. There is a lot more as you can see from the TripAdvisor link.

In 1981, I took the ferry to Cheung Chau Island, which was fantastic. It was like going back into time. The island has no cars. I don't know if the island has changed much since then, but I would go there again.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g294217-Activities-Hong_Kong.html

We are booked on a Singapore to Dubai cruise and have booked 8 days to spend in Singapore and Malaysia (three days there).

I would suggest a minimum of three days for each city, and probably up to five days each.

We have been to both cities many times and have always found plenty to do in both. In Hong Kong if you have never been before, you can easily fill in 5 days, 3 minimum. I can also add the Big Buddha, a visit to Macau, or even spending a day in China just over the border where all the best shopping can be done. The concierge at your hotel can arrange your visit.

In Singapore, even though we have been to that city 24 times in the past 20 odd years, we spent 6 days there in April after a cruise as we were catching up with friends from home. We still found plenty to do in that time so again I would suggest 5 days, 3 minimum.

Both cities are such contrasts to each other, that you will enjoy both. Remember that Singapore is always hot and humid and Hong Kong depending on the month of the year can also be that but if you visit in Feb/March, it can be quite cold.

I would arrive to Singapore 4 or 5 days before your cruise if you have the time.

It will give you time to get over the jet lag and there is a lot you can see.

For Hong Kong I would allow three days of touring if you schedule permits.

Keith

I stayed 4 days in Singapore pre-cruise and 2 days post-cruise last year. Even with 6 days I didn't get to the Zoo or the Bird Park because there was a lot to see and do.

I think Hong Kong is one of the most exciting cities in the world. I'll be there in December pre-cruise for 4 nights and I've realised it's probably not enough time because I want a full day at Ocean Park and a day trip into Shenzhen. I'm running low on days!

In Hong Kong, you'd need two weeks to see the sights.

Everyone has their own preferences and interests but you can certainly see the main urban sights in Hong Kong in 3 or 4 days. If you want to shop it will of course take longer. Singapore about the same.

For reference there is probably less to see in both cities than for example London or Paris.

Putting the jet lag recovery issue aside, I differ from the above and can't see what one does beyond one or two days in Singapore. While I don't see the point of traveling to "exotic" places to see a zoo, the Singapore one is nice. Otherwise, I'd like to see a list of what people see over 4 days. Singapore is a sanitized international city with little local culture. Nothing like the countries around it. They do have a beach though. Fake man-made beach where you can lie and watch tanker ships pass by. Not quite Bali. But the city is clean and safe.

On the other hand, Hong Kong has an endless list of places to visit. I would certainly suggest 5 days in HK. You can even cross over to China for a day and do some shopping.

Putting the jet lag recovery issue aside, I differ from the above and can't see what one does beyond one or two days in Singapore. While I don't see the point of traveling to "exotic" places to see a zoo, the Singapore one is nice. Otherwise, I'd like to see a list of what people see over 4 days. Singapore is a sanitized international city with little local culture. Nothing like the countries around it. They do have a beach though. Fake man-made beach where you can lie and watch tanker ships pass by. Not quite Bali. But the city is clean and safe.

On the other hand, Hong Kong has an endless list of places to visit. I would certainly suggest 5 days in HK. You can even cross over to China for a day and do some shopping.

Agree. 3 days tops for Singapore, but soooo much more in Hong Kong.

Everyone has their own preferences and interests but you can certainly see the main urban sights in Hong Kong in 3 or 4 days. If you want to shop it will of course take longer. ...

For reference there is probably less to see in both cities than for example London or Paris.

Indeed: I'd recommend a couple of months for either London or Paris.

Many people just don't have this sort of time to spend in a place. That's entirely understandable, and I have this problem too.

But it's important for people to realise that if they give somewhere like Hong Kong only three or four days, they will not "see the sights" - only some of them.

For Singapore, I would recommend the Night Safari at the Zoo or Breakfast with the Orangu-tans, Gardens by the Bay which is really worthwhile visiting, the Botanical Gardens with its lovely Orchid garden, Jurong Bird Park, the High Flyer, a visit to Sentosa Island to Fort Siloso, Changi Prison Camp Museum which is so moving, the National Museum, a visit to China Town and the little India etc. etc.

As I said in my previous post I would recommend 3 days whereas for Hong Kong for a first time visitor 5 days would enable you to see a lot but if you want to go further afield such as Macau or to do some shopping in China, then allow a couple of extra days. Both cities have wonderful hotels which are great to return to after a long day sightseeing.

Jennie

i would love to spend the amount of time you all suggest for HK but cant, will have only 2 days....what are the must sees....linda

Victoria Peak, Star ferry over and ten walk or that the bus to the tram.. go over to Repluse bay area and the market... shop Temple RD area at night... look ay any book in B&N for ideas. i am going to lantua island this trip..

Victoria Peak, Star ferry over and ten walk or that the bus to the tram.. go over to Repluse bay area and the market... shop Temple RD area at night... look ay any book in B&N for ideas. i am going to lantua island this trip..

This is our first Asian cruise an can hardly wait. I'm sure I'll never see enough. Oh well like other ports we will have to go again. Lol. Linda

Send from iPhone

This is our first Asian cruise an can hardly wait. I'm sure I'll never see enough. Oh well like other ports we will have to go again. Lol. Linda

Send from iPhone

that why it is my 3d trip to Asia- second to HK. i have done land tours in the past so a cruise is new to me.

i would love to spend the amount of time you all suggest for HK but cant, will have only 2 days....what are the must sees....linda

Here is a schedule tat I had suggested to someone else who will be visiting in Nov. on the Millennium.

There is a tour that everyone who is in HK for the first time should take on the first day:

1. Get a taxi from the terminal to a MTR station. Take the MTR to Tung Chung.

2. At Tung Chung take the Ngong Ping 360 cable car to the Big Buddha( You should read the HK Extras web site and go into the cable car website and order your ticket which can be picked up at the station, as it will be a saturday and the lineups will be long if you do to have reservations)

3. Spend some time at the Buddha and Ngong Ping.

4. Catch a bus from there to Mui Wo or silver mine bay( about 1/2 hr.

5. Spend time there if you like then take the ferry back to HK (you will pass some islands and the western harbour.

6. Take the no. 15 bus close to the ferry terminal to the Peak( forget about taking the tram up as it will be crowded and the wait will be long, also the ride will be something!!

7. Have lunch at the Peak complex and walk around for the views of HK ten take the tram back to Central.

Depending on what else you want to see that day, you can do a bit more research and decide.

The terminal in 1. refers to the new cruise terminal.

You can have a look at this site wit the latest news and decide what else you want to see on your second day.

http://www.hongkongextras.com

Have a nice trip! we ourselves will be staying an extra week after we arrive to visit friends and family. If you need mrs info. do not hesitate to ask.

With only a short time in Singapore, its impossible to see everything. I will flying over to Singapore in November for 2 weeks, staying at my son's apartment, and my wife & I have a list of 20 places/things we want to do, and we have been there before. Yes, of course, then there are the major sights, zoo, botanical gardens, bird park, singapore flyer, but I could give you a list of 40 things/places to go, which don't appear in the brochures, eg. Kent Ridge Walk, Sentosa Cove, Mana Mana Beach Club, cycling along East Coast Parkway, etc. I always say, look at the major sights, then look outside the square, as they say. In most cities of the world, there major sightseeing, then there is "hidden attractions, which are "gems" and unknown to the majority of tourists. One of my favourite pastimes in Singapore is to go to Palua Ubin, a short boat ride across the straits on the northern coastline of Singapore, then cycling around the island,or head off to Tioman Island or Bintan Island, not far from Singapore, to swim in pristine aqua blue water.

With only a short time in Singapore, its impossible to see everything. I will flying over to Singapore in November for 2 weeks, staying at my son's apartment, and my wife & I have a list of 20 places/things we want to do, and we have been there before. Yes, of course, then there are the major sights, zoo, botanical gardens, bird park, singapore flyer, but I could give you a list of 40 things/places to go, which don't appear in the brochures, eg. Kent Ridge Walk, Sentosa Cove, Mana Mana Beach Club, cycling along East Coast Parkway, etc. I always say, look at the major sights, then look outside the square, as they say. In most cities of the world, there major sightseeing, then there is "hidden attractions, which are "gems" and unknown to the majority of tourists. One of my favourite pastimes in Singapore is to go to Palua Ubin, a short boat ride across the straits on the northern coastline of Singapore, then cycling around the island,or head off to Tioman Island or Bintan Island, not far from Singapore, to swim in pristine aqua blue water.

We are also heading to Singapore in November and cruising back to Sydney Australia ,we did this last year also but didn't get to have a good look around so this time we will have a 4 day stay before we cruise

That's the trouble with cruising - so little time in ports, that you don't get enough time to see everything, that's why I don't cruise "all the time" - cruising only allows you to get a "glimpse of the destination", then if you like what you see, fly & stay next time.

I have seen so much in Singapore & Malaysia from flying/staying there, so much more than I would see if I cruised there. That's why I cruise some of the time, and other times DW & I fly/stay/drive/explore (especially, the exotic places on this planet)

I understand that there are elderly people who are unable to drive & explore on their own, hence, cruising is the best option for them.

Re Vanuatu - 2015 no cruising to Sth Pacific destinations, as we have seen Tahiti, Moorea, Bora Bora, Vila, Isle of Pines, Noumea.

One place we stayed - Whitegrass Resort on Tanna Island, just blew us away, when a guide drove & took us onto the crater rim of Mt.Yasur Volcano, so we could look down into the boiling lava, and watch spray out into the night sky. Sounds dangerous, yes, but not really, the guide is watching all the time. The prevailing winds are from the south-east, which takes most of the sulphur fumes away, when standing on the correct side of volcano rim, and a lot of people don't know this, but below crater rim is a 2nd rim which faces out on an angle, allowing most of the erupting lava to spew out on a certain direction away from you.....BUT, if the volcano really erupted violently, then lava would go everywhere. The guide knows this & watches every eruption. HAVE I MADE ANYONE INTERESTED IN GOING UP TO THE RIM OF MT.YASUR???

That's the trouble with cruising - so little time in ports, that you don't get enough time to see everything, that's why I don't cruise "all the time" - cruising only allows you to get a "glimpse of the destination", then if you like what you see, fly & stay next time.

I have seen so much in Singapore & Malaysia from flying/staying there, so much more than I would see if I cruised there. That's why I cruise some of the time, and other times DW & I fly/stay/drive/explore (especially, the exotic places on this planet)

I understand that there are elderly people who are unable to drive & explore on their own, hence, cruising is the best option for them.

Re Vanuatu - 2015 no cruising to Sth Pacific destinations, as we have seen Tahiti, Moorea, Bora Bora, Vila, Isle of Pines, Noumea.

One place we stayed - Whitegrass Resort on Tanna Island, just blew us away, when a guide drove & took us onto the crater rim of Mt.Yasur Volcano, so we could look down into the boiling lava, and watch spray out into the night sky. Sounds dangerous, yes, but not really, the guide is watching all the time. The prevailing winds are from the south-east, which takes most of the sulphur fumes away, when standing on the correct side of volcano rim, and a lot of people don't know this, but below crater rim is a 2nd rim which faces out on an angle, allowing most of the erupting lava to spew out on a certain direction away from you.....BUT, if the volcano really erupted violently, then lava would go everywhere. The guide knows this & watches every eruption. HAVE I MADE ANYONE INTERESTED IN GOING UP TO THE RIM OF MT.YASUR???

My son has worked on Tanna as a med student from Au . They were giving antibiotics and checking the native population because they almost all had lung problems caused by the particles from the Volcano.

• 2 weeks later...

If you go to Singapore Zoo (think I have been there about 4 times now, that grandson of mine loves the animals)- look out for the Arapyma (not sure of the correct spelling) fish enclosure, and try to be there on feeding times. I won't say anymore, except they featured this very large fish on "River Monsters" TV show. If you get the chance to hold the piece of wood with the fish on the end, be prepared for a fish that strikes very quickly at whatever you hold out.