Why is everyone hating on formal nights?

kangforpres

Dress code questions  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Dress code questions

• Do you want HAL to continue formal nights?
    • Do you think HAL should enforce it's dress code, even it's "smart casual" dress code?

We have been cruising HAL (and other lines) for many years.

When we first started cruising, formal nights were something special and we loved them.

We would still like to dress up but with the restrictions on luggage on flights and the lack of that special feeling we no longer bother to take our formal clothes and do not eat in MDR on formal nights.

We have also started to cruise other lines where formal dress is not needed (eg Windstar and NCL).

The last wedding I attended was on the beach. I wore board shorts and a tank top. I've never worn formal wear to a college football game. Same for the baseball game, wore my team's jersey during the 7th inning stretch. I do like Applebee's, especially during a college halftime show or a 7th inning stretch.

You and your board shorts and tee, must be the dream of every bride to be

I am one who really hate formal nights. I dress down as much as allowed and fortunately for women that is slacks and nice top.

I have to dress up for work, on vacation I want to relax and be myself and that is jeans and tank top. I know I am in the minority but I really don't see how what a person wears affects another's enjoyment of dinner.

Great post. My last night on the Noordam (no it wasn't formal) a guy wore flannel pajamas to the dining room. I mean how lazy can you be? I'm sure he slept in them,woke up and flew on the plane with them as well. The no shirt man- boobs in the Lido has to go as well. They may be comfortable but they make my stomach very uncomfortable:eek:

This is priceless! I actually laughed out loud at my desk at work. I agree with the Lido suggestion.

The ones that don't like formal nights are lazy. They are self entitled and think that just because they paid their money they can do what ever they please. Fortunatly, most cruise lines (well, the good ones anyways) politley steer those that are too lazy to dress or don't know better to the lido buffet.

Really?????????????

Hmmm

"by NOT dressing, you are telling others you do not respect them, nor do you take pride in yourself. again, "I paid my money" syndrome. . . . self entitlement"

life is interesting like that we all have choices and certainly my choices should not reflect on your experience. Your self entitlement is trying to make the cruse a fascist experience for everyone. If you haven't figured it out by now HAL has become a dinosaur because that market changes with what the passengers want. RCI and NCL see the writing on the wall.

I don't need to feel uncomfortable on a hot Summer night all dressed up with a Blazer/Jacket ...

Dressing UP does not improve the taste of the food!

:):)

This seems to encapsulate the negative attitude towards formal nights. Standards have evolved (or is it devolved) so much that many people think wearing a blazer is being "...all dressed up...".

No one thinks clothes alters the taste of the food - but it does impact the general atmosphere/ambience and thus the overall experience of a formal dinner.

Formal nights are clearly going the way of the dodo in this fast food, casual every day environment. It is too bad that the slowed-down, slightly formal atmosphere of formal nights, which tends to support better conversation and interpersonal courtesy, is being eroded. Sure, it is inefficient - but I will be saddened if the trend towards ease and efficiency results in cafeteria eating only on affordable ships/itineraries.

We do not mind dressing up on formal nights. Before we retired there were many functions that we attended and had to be dressed up.

This new, young generation has a different view on everything. Many of them haven't eaten in a high class restaurant. All they know is pizza, sandwiches, McDonalds, etc. And now sadly some of the older folks are starting to do the same thing. And their choice of clothing for work -- jeans, sloppy slacks and tops - ugh.

Wow!! I don't know if you are talking about us in our 50s or our adult children in their 20s, but I can tell you all of us frequent "high class restaurants" in your home town of Pittsburgh on a regular basis, and I can't think of a restaurant here, other than certain rooms in some private clubs, that require jackets and ties. We attend at least 10 black tie events a year and dress accordingly, but quite honestly it makes little sense to us why you can wear business casual in the MDR on a Monday and then are required to wear more formal attire to eat in the same room, with the same service, on a Tuesday. Having said this, we bring the appropriate clothes, as we dislike the Lido for dinner. My preference, however, would be no formal nights, but enforce the dress code for all nights.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The ones that don't like formal nights are lazy. They are self entitled and think that just because they paid their money they can do what ever they please. Fortunatly, most cruise lines (well, the good ones anyways) politley steer those that are too lazy to dress or don't know better to the lido buffet.

as for "lugging" all the extra cloths required for formal nights, you lug all that other crap with you. A jacket, tie and slacks or a small silky dress take up minimal space. You can always rent formal wear as well, especially for the guys, an easy out and the gals can get away with anything flowing and sparkly. an easy pack. Personally, I always board wearing a jacket and pack a second.

board shorts are for the pool and beach, only common people with no tact or respect for others would wear board shorts to the dining room. Come to think of it, it all boils down to respect for others, and pride in yourself. by NOT dressing, you are telling others you do not respect them, nor do you take pride in yourself. again, "I paid my money" syndrome. . . . self entitlement.

So if someone doesn't like doing something they are lazy? really ???

I go to the gym on the ship for 3 hours a day. Should I call those that don't lazy?

I actually do like formal nights. I enjoy dressing up, the chance to be a bit girly, but as any educated person would understand, it's not for everyone. I'm unsure what you mean by people lugging all that other 'crap' around. Do you mean clothes? shoes? Would you prefer they left those at home and just brought a sparkly dress?

Enjoying your holiday your way should be everybody's right. It's not a case of self-entitlement, people work hard for those cruises, so hardly lazy, and just want to be able to relax and enjoy it their way.

I'm part of a divided family on this issue. I love the occasion to dress up, as I never do otherwise, living in the PNW where basically everything is casual. However DH hates it. He calls neckties "nooses" and says he was glad to retire and never have to wear one again. On shorter (week) cruises he generally gives in to me, griping the entire time we're getting ready, but then settling in. On a longer cruise we've compromised, dressing for two nights, and staying in our cabin with room service and a movie the 3rd one. That way we were both happy. Not having formal nights wouldn't keep me from cruising, and I really enjoy it.

I love formal nights - where we live in CO, dressy is a clean t-shirt with no holes. My husband actually likes them since he wears bolo ties - his are pretty expensive ones-, and there have never been any issues with them in the DR.

DW and I vary our approach to formal night. On HAL, we take the additional clothing as we prefer not to eat dinner in the Lido or in our room. With Celebrity, we forego the extra duds and take the opportunity to eat in one of the specialty restaurants. We prefer Celebrity's approach, as it gives those who wish to dress to the nines the opportunity to do so, while allowing those who prefer wearing resort casual to eat in a decent restaurant without the limitations of the Lido or room service. It seems to present a win-win situation for all passengers, which might explain why there are few clothing threads on the Celebrity board.

I hate formal nights because I hate the dressed chairs! The covers make it hard to move the chairs close to/away from the table, your clothes (even if they're not formal) stick to them uncomfortably. If the person at the early seating had glitter on their formal wear, it's highly likely I'll get their leftover glitter on my non-glittery formal wear, which is nearly impossible to get off!

If they would stop dressing the chairs I'd be much, much happier to dress up. Furniture does not need clothes!!!!!

Aw, poor you. I love the chair covers. They add to the ambiance. That glitter sticks to everything - even bar stools.

This seems to encapsulate the negative attitude towards formal nights. Standards have evolved (or is it devolved) so much that many people think wearing a blazer is being "...all dressed up...".

No one thinks clothes alters the taste of the food - but it does impact the general atmosphere/ambience and thus the overall experience of a formal dinner.

Formal nights are clearly going the way of the dodo in this fast food, casual every day environment. It is too bad that the slowed-down, slightly formal atmosphere of formal nights, which tends to support better conversation and interpersonal courtesy, is being eroded. Sure, it is inefficient - but I will be saddened if the trend towards ease and efficiency results in cafeteria eating only on affordable ships/itineraries.

Really? Better conversation when you're all gussied up? This is why I love cruise critic. I learn something new everyday. Why waste my time having a subpar conversation with pax at any other time. I guess my IQ rises exponentially when I put a tuxedo on. I had no idea.

Edited by Laminator

The OP just does not understand. You see, it is now the "ME ME ME" generation (or generations) that prefer to do whatever they please with total disregard for decorum, etiquette, etc. Oh,,,,and they also tell insist that is never proper to "judge" them or anyone else for doing whatever they please.

Hank

I'm the OP and I'm encouraging people to make an effort and partake in formal nights, What's you deal?

-Paul

Hi Everyone-

My original intent was not to start a sniping war, HAL does not even enforce the Dress code like it suggests on it's website. I've heard the luxury lines like Cyrstal et al. do not have dress codes because no one bothers to try and tell really rich people what they can and can't do.

I would guess Cunard still makes an effort to enforce a rule, which is all it is in the end a rule that carries no weight of enforcement. I golf too and I play by the strict rules of golf that are prescribed by the USGA and the Royal & Ancient Society ... so I can call myself a golfer.

I don't mind people not wanting to get dressed up, but if there is a rule about something and you are voluntarily being a part of that something (being on a cruise) I feel you should make an effort and play by the rules.

-Paul

Edited by kangforpres

If we were going out for fine dining home would we select a venue that has the attributes and the size of the MDR on formal nights...or any other night???

The answer for us would be NO, never. We would prefer a smaller, quieter, more intimate well run establishment where the food and the service is truly unique. Preferably one where the clatter of dishes does not eliminate our desire for quiet conversation.

So, if we would not attend a venue like this on land, what on earth would convince us to attend one on a cruise?

Really? Better conversation when you're all gussied up? This is why I love cruise critic. I learn something new everyday. Why waste my time having a subpar conversation with pax at any other time. I guess my IQ rises exponentially when I put a tuxedo on. I had no idea.

Wait till I tell my DH that, even more reason for him to dress up.......brain surgon here we come.:D:D:D:eek:

Wait till I tell my DH that, even more reason for him to dress up.......brain surgon here we come.:D:D:D:eek:

I showed this to my DW. First she said I should wear a tux 24/7. Then she said don't bother as she is quite sure it will not help. She is still walking around the house giggling.:eek:

Edited by Laminator

If we were going out for fine dining home would we select a venue that has the attributes and the size of the MDR on formal nights...or any other night???

The answer for us would be NO, never. We would prefer a smaller, quieter, more intimate well run establishment where the food and the service is truly unique. Preferably one where the clatter of dishes does not eliminate our desire for quiet conversation.

So, if we would not attend a venue like this on land, what on earth would convince us to attend one on a cruise?

DW and I go to a lot of the same places . Tiny, intimate , mostly family run . You can probably fit 10 of them into a cruise ship MDR. And none of them require a suit or tie. Smart casual all the way . You get to know the chefs and the managers/owners and they LOVE to make something special for you off the menu. They add something new to the menu , they bring you out a plate to sample to get your opinion

Interesting..

Because the last time I wore a tux I did the stupidest thing I ever did in my life. Marry my 1st wife :(

But then I married my current wife in just a nice suit and that more than atoned for it :)

Probably our problem is that we travel in other places than the Americas.

I can tell you that if you want to eat in some restaurants in Europe and not look out of place = you need to be dressed sharply. DH wears his sportsjacket which more than does the trick and I wear a smidge over smart casual (my smart casual might not be the same definition as Cave Divings) - I usually try to be a tad elegant.

There is no discussion depending upon where you are going - but you need to look nice.

I don't see HAl's requirements a whole lot different. It's not hard to look nice, dressed up, elegant. You don't have to wear a tux. You can wear other things but the bottom line is you look sharp. Besides, who wants to look like a slob?

edited to say that DH does have a tux that he had made but it is over 15 years old, so although he hasn't had the heart to get rid of it yet, it hasn't gone on a cruise in a long, long, long, long time.

Edited by kazu

I have never taken a jacket, tie, etc. on any European trip-and we travel there often.

We are 10 days away from leaving for 7 weeks of independent travel followed by an 8 day cruise. No fancy togs at all. In fact, we will be doing carry on. Never had a problem with this in any restaurant in Europe. The one proviso is that we very seldom dine in a hotel dining room. We typically find a local place away from the tourist areas. I think it very much depends on how and where you travel. We are very flexible, tend to stay in small hotels, and often only have the first half of our itinerary arranged.