Dynamic Dining Officially announced on Oasis

We are really surprised that RCI announced Dynamic Dining (DD) on Oasis without even a trial run on Quantum.

I know many folks are concerned about scheduling their shows and dinner ahead of time. With Oasis you already have to prebook shows, so I guess it makes sense to roll out DD on this ship as it is not too much extra work. But it is still work.

It was a bit of a hassle for us to make our reservations for Quantum of the Seas and Anthem of the Seas for our upcoming cruises.

We blogged about how we were able to setup our Dynamic Dining reservations here and provide some tips on how to get the dining venue and table you want for your cruise.

We are keeping our fingers crossed that this Dynamic Dining is really worth all of the headaches!

Yet another post from @RoyalCaribPR regarding the Oasis: "the main dining spaces will be remodeled during drydock but Dynamic Dining will begin March 2015."

OK, that's definitely not a good thing for us. That means that DD will start before a cruise that I was thinking about.

As a solo cruiser' date=' I'm kind of bummed...I'm booked on Oasis next spring. Does Dynamic Dining mean solos will be eating alone, rather than at assigned tables with others?[/quote']

Good point! Perhaps they will have an option to make reservations with other singles. ;)

Well maybe this what the marketing folks have told to Adam he needs to get more young people to cruise and will make some cruisers happy but in my humble opine RC is going to lose many of its most loyal cruisers over this.

Time will tell.

I have many other cruise options Adam...........

If dynamic dining comes to Freedom, does that mean we will have to preschedule shows also? Currently, there is a show every evening and main dining goes to the 2nd show, etc. We also fit in the ice skating show. How do I schedule dining when I don't know where and what the shows are?

What is Dynamic dining. I am going on Oasis in Jan. When will it start on Oasis?

This will explain the concept on Quantum

Dynamic dining reimagines dining at sea to give you more distinct options plus total flexibility to shape your own delectable journey. There are no set dining times, no assigned seats, no required formal nights

If dynamic dining comes to Freedom, does that mean we will have to preschedule shows also? Currently, there is a show every evening and main dining goes to the 2nd show, etc. We also fit in the ice skating show. How do I schedule dining when I don't know where and what the shows are?

It would be no different than booking specialty dining. Just book within a half hour or so of the traditional dining time and you will be able to make the show no problem.

This is what I'm confused about if its getting implemented on the older ships in the fleet. I think it will work on the Oasis Class since there are so many entertainment options on them, but what about the Radiance Class for example? Will they just schedule two shows a night and anyone wanting to go to one will have to make a reservation to fit it, all at around the same time? Reminds me of traditional dining, eating at a time that coincides with the shows... :rolleyes: Why change it to DD then?

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

I'm actually a little disappointed they're not going to start DD on Oasis until March for a couple reasons...

We're approaching our first cruise on Oasis differently than other cruises, and are really looking forward to the ship as our destination. We want to take advantage of all the dining and entertainment options that aren't on the other ships we've sailed. I already have MTD with four specialty restaurants and only three nights in the MDR booked. When I heard about Dynamic Dining this morning, I thought it might be fun to test the new menus and try something different!

Two of the nights I booked in the MDR are formal nights, both for the menus and the atmosphere. If they sub-divide the MDR into separate dining venues, it's really not the MDR any more, so I may be rethinking that strategy, depending on what people have to say about it after the dry dock. If they do something similar to what Celebrity did when they added BLU to the M class ships, I think people will be very pleased.

I'm actually a little disappointed they're not going to start DD on Oasis until March for a couple reasons...

We're approaching our first cruise on Oasis differently than other cruises, and are really looking forward to the ship as our destination. We want to take advantage of all the dining and entertainment options that aren't on the other ships we've sailed. I already have MTD with four specialty restaurants and only three nights in the MDR booked. When I heard about Dynamic Dining this morning, I thought it might be fun to test the new menus and try something different!

Two of the nights I booked in the MDR are formal nights, both for the menus and the atmosphere. If they sub-divide the MDR into separate dining venues, it's really not the MDR any more, so I may be rethinking that strategy, depending on what people have to say about it after the dry dock. If they do something similar to what Celebrity did when they added BLU to the M class ships, I think people will be very pleased.

What did Celebrity do when they added BLU? Don't really follow Celebrity news, so am unsure.

What did Celebrity do when they added BLU? Don't really follow Celebrity news, so am unsure.

They took about 2/3 of one half of the upper level of the dining room, and created a smaller, more intimate restaurant in the space. BLU shares galley space with the MDR -- that's what I envision RCI doing when they add Dynamic Dining to an older ship.

Here are a couple pictures of BLU on the Constellation from our cruise in May:

DSC01598-2W-L.jpg

DSC01599-2W-L.jpg

Edited by Cindy

Cindy, to some degree the Oasis and Allure already have DD with the number of dining venues available. We've sailed 6 times on these ships and have eaten twice in the MDR. Preplaning restaurants and shows isn't that big of a hassle and once on board there's nothing to fuss about. I'm thrilled DD is coming to the Oasis and will be available for our 3 booked cruises. Now we'll just wait and see what the dining options will be.

They took about 2/3 of one half of the upper level of the dining room, and created a smaller, more intimate restaurant in the space. BLU shares galley space with the MDR -- that's what I envision RCI doing when they add Dynamic Dining to an older ship.

Interestingly, I prefer the added on Blu restaurants to those on the Solstice class ships.

This is what I'm confused about if its getting implemented on the older ships in the fleet. I think it will work on the Oasis Class since there are so many entertainment options on them, but what about the Radiance Class for example? Will they just schedule two shows a night and anyone wanting to go to one will have to make a reservation to fit it, all at around the same time? Reminds me of traditional dining, eating at a time that coincides with the shows... :rolleyes: Why change it to DD then?

Our next cruise is on Indy in February 2015, and I don't expect that DD will be implemented on it by then.....it doesn't have a dry dock scheduled between now and then......when it rolls out on the ships, it will roll out -- is my thought.

I can't make myself crazy, just YET.

Our next cruise is on Indy in February 2015, and I don't expect that DD will be implemented on it by then.....it doesn't have a dry dock scheduled between now and then......when it rolls out on the ships, it will roll out -- is my thought.

I can't make myself crazy, just YET.

We are also looking into Indy for 2015, but in March. Am really hoping she doesn't get DD, and I doubt she will because I can't see Royal taking ships out of service for drydock in such a short period of time. Want to get one last Traditional Dining experience and then will sacrifice that to try some of the newest and biggest Royal ships. I think DD will be great, hopefully improved over NCL's freestyle. :) I also hope food quality will improve. The menus look great so far, just don't want to lose the relationship with our waitstaff :( (thats really the ONLY negative to us regarding DD).

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

This is surprising to me for many reasons:

I'm surprised they'd expand DD to a pre-Quantum ship without at least some experience as to how DD performs on Quantum.

I'm surprised they think the renovations to the MDR can be done in just two weeks.

I'm surprised they'd install DD but not start it for five months. That doesn't make any sense.

Royal must know something that we don't as they have made this decision even though many loyal Royal folks are at best, lukewarm toward Dynamic Dining.

I do agree OAsis class is the best logically choice for this option as you have to book your shows before dining.

Being larger than Quantum, I wonder if they are going to have enough seating in the four included restaurants, AI, Silk, Chic, and Grande?

When booking Quantum for our January sailing I really did not want to pay for dinner, but with our scheduling, we ended up booking to for-fee venues, Jamie's and the Solarium Bistro. These probably will not be on Oasis, unless they get rind of Rita's Catina and/or change other venues.

For our Anthem cruise, we decided to try two new restaurants, Wonderland and (new for us) Chops Grille. That is an 11 night cruise, so of course there is only so many times you can eat at the same restaurant.

Just so much to take in given that Quantum has not even sailed and Dynamic Dining is already trickling down to other ships so soon!

We are also looking into Indy for 2015, but in March. Am really hoping she doesn't get DD, and I doubt she will because I can't see Royal taking ships out of service for drydock in such a short period of time. Want to get one last Traditional Dining experience and then will sacrifice that to try some of the newest and biggest Royal ships. I think DD will be great, hopefully improved over NCL's freestyle. :) I also hope food quality will improve. The menus look great so far, just don't want to lose the relationship with our waitstaff :( (thats really the ONLY negative to us regarding DD).

We chose the 8 day cruise on Indy, departing on Valentine's Day, because it allowed DH to use one less day of vacation, since Monday is the President's Day Holiday, and he is off from work.

Its an Eastern Itinerary, that actually has ports a little bit more southern than usual.....so it intrigued us as well.

Im curious .. on the ships like Oasis, Freedom, etc that have traditional MDRs ... are they re-constructing these MDRs into smaller restaurants to accommodate this DD concept?

Im curious how theyre handling this on the existing ships.

Edited by F27TW