Beds on the Grand Princess

grandgeezer

How are the beds on the Grand Princess? The reason I ask is that we were on the Grand about four years ago, and they were the worst beds we ever slept on, including the ones in the military. The cabin steward put in two wgg crates, per side and it helped very little.

We are looking at the 15 day Hawaii cruise and if the bed sucks, that would make it our last cruise on the Grand.

We had an inside on the Plaza deck on the Grand in July. I thought the bed was fine. Out of curiosity, since I've heard so many complaints, I looked under the sheet. There was an egg crate and pillow top! We had not requested this. I wonder if the beds have gotten so bad that they are just automatically adding the egg crates until the mattresses can be replaced.

We had an inside on the Plaza deck on the Grand in July. I thought the bed was fine. Out of curiosity, since I've heard so many complaints, I looked under the sheet. There was an egg crate and pillow top! We had not requested this. I wonder if the beds have gotten so bad that they are just automatically adding the egg crates until the mattresses can be replaced.
Princess has been replacing the mattresses for over two and a half years with pillowtops. I've had them on every cruise for almost three years, including the Star, Island, Crown, Diamond, Royal, and Sapphire.

How are the beds on the Grand Princess? The reason I ask is that we were on the Grand about four years ago, and they were the worst beds we ever slept on, including the ones in the military. The cabin steward put in two wgg crates, per side and it helped very little.

We are looking at the 15 day Hawaii cruise and if the bed sucks, that would make it our last cruise on the Grand.

Beds are not replaced all at once, they are replaced on an ongoing basis so you never know if you will get a new/decent one.

We were in E327 in January for 15 very painful, horrible nights. By far, this was the worst bed I have ever slept on. I was counting the days until we could get off the ship. I am praying our beds (yes, we have two different cabins) on our B2B on the Star are better.

Cheers, Denise

Princess has been replacing the mattresses for over two and a half years with pillowtops. I've had them on every cruise for almost three years, including the Star, Island, Crown, Diamond, Royal, and Sapphire.

Pam, you are looked after by the Bed Fairy. :D My bed on this last Star cruise was the best I've ever had. (Believe me, I've done my share of marble slabs!)

Twice last year on the Grand to Hawaii and once to Alaska, each time on Emerald deck. A total of 40 days in 3 different cabins and each had horrible beds. Finally decided to bring an air inflating mattress one can buy in a camping store. (Not the kind you put in a pool) It did a better job than the egg crates. I've read that mini suites have pillow tops so our next Princess cruise will be a mini but also on the Star and not the Grand. They are gradually replacing mattresses. It's not uncommon to see mattresses being taken off and new ones coming on embarkation day.It's the luck of the draw.

Edited by iceleven

We were on the Grand at the end of May. We had a covered mini on the Emerald deck. The beds were not new, they sagged a bit (noticeably visibly especially when the beds were made). I found then very comfortable, despite appearance. It was a bit firm for my liking, but not overly so. The slight dip did a good job of keeping my bed hogging husband on his side! I slept very well.

We were in E327 in January for 15 very painful, horrible nights. By far, this was the worst bed I have ever slept on. I was counting the days until we could get off the ship. I am praying our beds (yes, we have two different cabins) on our B2B on the Star are better.

Cheers, Denise

Hi Denise...

Last time we were on the Star the bed was good.

See you on the B2B:)

Hi Denise...

Last time we were on the Star the bed was good.

See you on the B2B:)

I hope so. We have been on the Grand twice before and had good beds but January was horrible. They weren't hard, they were just worn out. The sag was unreal. We have had great beds on the Star too!! Fingers crossed.

Looking forward to seeing the Blue Angels from the ship. It's the reason we booked the Coastal. LOL. See you in 32 days.

Cheers, Denise

With all this talk of beds - hard, soft, sagging and egg crates...

Now I'm curious about the wide range of opinions on beds. Are there different beds depending on category of cabin on Princess? i.e. are the beds the same quality in a balcony room vs a minisuite or a full suite?

Now I'm curious about the wide range of opinions on beds. Are there different beds depending on category of cabin on Princess? i.e. are the beds the same quality in a balcony room vs a minisuite or a full suite?

There are no advertised difference in a mattress for cabin categories other then the recently touted pillowtops.

I keep saying its a crap shoot as to whether you get a good mattress or not.

Asking people about a mattress condition in a cabin that you won't even sail in has no bearing on the condition of all the ships cabins.

We should not even be discussing mattress's. They all should be excellent considering we spend half the cruise on one. :mad:

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I am wondering the same thing!! Our horrible bed was in an obstructed view category. It was the only bed that was horrible in 15 Princess cruises. All other cabins have been balconies.

Cheers, Denise