Norwegian pet policy

mar23

. Recently on the Getaway and was very surprised (shocked really) to see a lady in a motor scooter in the very back of the theater with a small dog in her lap. It was real and she had the pets small crate next to her. Just saw her that one night. Does Norwegian allow dogs on board? This was definitely not a guide dog.

By the way, we loved the ship. Being avid cruisers (over 20 now) it was wonderful to have selection of restaurants, great shows, and the best cruise director we have ever had - JC

Great for NCL to think outside the box and offer unique shows and meal options.

Marilyn

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

. Recently on the Getaway and was very surprised (shocked really) to see a lady in a motor scooter in the very back of the theater with a small dog in her lap. It was real and she had the pets small crate next to her. Just saw her that one night. Does Norwegian allow dogs on board? This was definitely not a guide dog.

By the way, we loved the ship. Being avid cruisers (over 20 now) it was wonderful to have selection of restaurants, great shows, and the best cruise director we have ever had - JC

Marilyn

No pets are allowed. The dog was likely a service animal.

It was a service dog of some kind. They allow service dogs, but no other pets.

Remember that service dogs can provide different "services" - from picking things up for the wheelchair bound to signalling epileptic seizures before they really start to guiding the blind to calming a child with emotional issues

No pets are allowed. It's not just "guide dogs" that are permitted. Presumably the dog was properly certified as a therapy dog and allowed on board on that basis.

It was a Pomeranian or Pekingese. That size dog. Didn't know the size dog was used as service animal.

It was a Pomeranian or Pekingese. That size dog. Didn't know the size dog was used as service animal.

That size dog wouldn't be a guide dog, but it could perform other services. A service dog can detect seizures or low blood pressure, or even give assistance to those with hearing disabilities. The dog can be any size for those kinds of things.

On our last cruise there were 2 ladies who appeared they could be sisters. One had a LARGE Poodle and the other had a little tiny Poodle. The dogs went everywhere with them. I just assumed they were service dogs of some kind, as I know pets are not allowed.

But it begs the question: where do the dogs "go"? Inquiring minds want to know. :)

On our last cruise there were 2 ladies who appeared they could be sisters. One had a LARGE Poodle and the other had a little tiny Poodle. The dogs went everywhere with them. I just assumed they were service dogs of some kind, as I know pets are not allowed.

But it begs the question: where do the dogs "go"? Inquiring minds want to know. :)

The "poop" deck of course:cool:. The crew actually sets up a box with litter in it for them to use (someone posted a picture once) and it is my understanding that the crew will not clean up after Fluffy.

Marilyn

It may have been a service dog. If so, most places are not allowing them, regardless of where it is: cruise ship, restaurant, grocery store, you name it.

They probably convinced the necessary people that they were 'service dogs'.

There are lots of different service dogs. On our Breakaway cruise their were two large service dogs - I saw the straw or whatever it was I expect was bedding material waiting to go into the cabin. And many older folks use "puppy pads" in the home for animals to relieve themselves - even for adult animals, so those can be used. And if someone needs their dog so bad they would go to the trouble to lie about the reason including getting false certifications, let them have them. Until we stop traveling (not soon!) we will not get a pet. I will just enjoy other people's pets:)

I don't think businesses can ask for proof, and I don't think there is proof.

a business cannot ask you what disability you have but they can ask you what service the dog provides for you

At the risk of being flamed - Just like you can go online and become an ordained minister, you can get special status for a pet.

I am not saying this is the case in all instances!

I don't think businesses can ask for proof, and I don't think there is proof.

There is no certification requirement. A business can ask if the dog is required because of a disability and what work or task the animal has been trained to perform. Emotional support is not work or a task . . .

For $50-75 you can go online and get "official" certification for any animal you want. Dog, cat, mouse, rabbit, you name it. Comes with "official" certification, vest, ID card etc. You see them everywhere now and folks/business's are afraid to challenge them. Saw a companion rabbit in a restaurant a couple of weeks ago, claimed it helped keep their child calm and occupied. Not sure that is the definition of a service animal.

At the risk of being flamed - Just like you can go online and become an ordained minister, you can get special status for a pet.

I am not saying this is the case in all instances!

I totally agree- it is way too easy to get a Dr to sign off on a "therapy" dog when all it means is someone just does not want to leave her little dog home. I was on a cruise where there were two of them and both were wheeled around in baby carriages. One woman had the dog beside her in the cafe and was feeding the dog scrambled eggs from her plate. It was pretty disgusting.

We have joked with my parents several times that they should get their little mini dachshund certified as a service dog so they can take her with them on their cruises. We would never do that, of course - we're just joking about it. But it's true - it is hard for them to leave her behind because she is truly their little sweetie. But she would never qualify as a true service dog for any reason because she barks at most anything that moves, and she licks everyone that gets within licking distance! :p

Edited by Hikini

On my Alaska trip last year, there was a woman in a scooter who had a little dog. I guess the dog could smell whatever condition... who knows. All I know is the dog was having a fantastic time running around the piano bar on deck 6, riding around with me in the woman's scooter and generally being a really hap-hap-happy little dog wagging its tail around the ship and very busy with not smelling any medical conditions whatsoever.

It seemed doubtful that the happy little dog was performing any medical service, but I'm not accusing anyone of anything. In fact, I wouldn't bet that it wasn't. The pup was well behaved and brought smiles to everyone's face. Many folks, including myself, enjoy dogs at home and it's nice to see dogs when traveling.

If a couple folks get away with an air-quotes service dog, I'm not losing sleep over it....

These threads always annoy me because I have disabled people in my family. My sister has M.S. and any one with M.S. gets annoyed when they are told "you look so good."

A DISABLITY IS NOT ALWAYS VISIBLE

NCL like any cruise line does not allow pets. But if a dog is a registered and licensed disability dog they law requires them to let the dog on the ship just like anywhere else. People are so cruel. Recently here in south Florida there was a condo board that sued a poor woman in a wheelchair with MS because her disability dog was too big and the condo only allowed dogs under 40 pounds. The condo took action against this woman. But the woman fought back in court to keep her dog. The judge ripped the condo so bad they had to pay extreme amounts in punitive damages.

I just wish people would stop judging people when it comes to service dogs. You don't know the disability the person has but if there is a dog on a cruise ship you can gurantee the dog is properly licensed to be a disability dog.

STOP JUDGING THE DISABLED. Every now and then another thread comes up like this where someone looks at a dog and says.....that is not a disability dog and the person is not disabled as if they are a doctor treating the person.

STOP THE JUDGMENT OF THE DISABLED

David, I agree with you. But c'mon... don't play the "disabled" card. Many folks here have family who are disabled. Many folks here are disabled.

This is a discussion. No one is judging the disabled... seriously.

I wish people would stop judging others entirely -- but that ain't happening. You can wish in one hand and s\ in the other and...well, you know how that one ends.

My mother had MS. She's dead... just so yo know where I'm coming from.

I just wish people would stop judging people when it comes to service dogs. You don't know the disability the person has but if there is a dog on a cruise ship you can gurantee the dog is properly licensed to be a disability dog.

STOP JUDGING THE DISABLED. Every now and then another thread comes up like this where someone looks at a dog and says.....that is not a disability dog and the person is not disabled as if they are a doctor treating the person.

STOP THE JUDGMENT OF THE DISABLED

That's the point...you CAN'T always guarantee.

We're not judging the disabled...quite on the contrary, we're judging the people that are abusing the system, making it more difficult for the disabled people to get services that they are entitled to. It's really sad that when we see someone with a dog on a cruise ship with someone who's not visibly disabled - our first thought isn't "oh, it's a service dog, okay, cool" but "did this person lie about being disabled so they can drag their dog along". It's the (too many) bad apples that are ruining it for everyone else.

People have posted in the past that they would see someone with a dog - either on a cruise ship, or, perhaps, checking in for a flight at the airport - where the person claims that it's their "service" dog, and yet the dog is yapping at everyone who walks buy, tries to run off, and overall does all the things that a trained therapy dog would absolutely never, ever do. And yet the person will claim that they need the dog for "emotional support" or whatever - something that is not considered a legitimate therapy requirement, but these people make their doctors sign off on it.

Edited by Illyria

Another note about service dogs is that they must be licensed every year and follow extremely strict guidelines to keep their status. A co-worker's son has muscular dystrophy and they were selected to get a service dog. The family went to training and they actually failed the training and were refused a dog and told them to come back next year. The amount of work to keep the status of a service dog is extreme. You must take the dog to the vet 4 times per year and if you don't send in the records, they removed the dog from the home.

Even in law enforcement, police dogs are constantly trained and if they fail any exercise they are removed from the street.

So a word to the ignorant that think getting a service dog is like applying for a disabled parking sticker. It is not the same. Its very ignorant to think a doctor just signs a piece of paper to create a service dog. Before you post such nonsense please do your research.

Edited by david_sobe