Ibuprofen, Mexico

mrsihopes

IF you need a scrip for high dose ibuprofen then you need a Mexican doc to write one for you. The pharmacies may have one who can do that. IF they sell it to you without the scrip and you have a lot of it then USA customs may notice and you can have problems. The ship won't stop you from bringing it on board.

I am sure there are lots of folks who don't follow the rules but we are not supposed to encourage that.

We bought some when we spent a week in Cozumel. No issues. Not sure why it should be as it's OTC in the US.

I must admit that the way the thread is worded, I thought maybe there was actually an "Ibuprofen, Mexico" and it was a new port stop. LOL!

Edited by firemanbobswife

I must admit that the way the thread is worded, I thought maybe there was actually an "Ibuprofen, Mexico" and it was a new port stop. LOL!

Too Funny! I wondered the same thing. Thought maybe it was the stop after Cozumel, so you could get your hangover cures!

You will have no problems. I got some before and all went fine, well, for the most part. I usually take one a day "just because" and I noticed about 4 weeks after I returned from my trip I started getting muscles all over in weird spots on my body. It was strange. I have a friend that did the same thing and he was fine other than purple pimples popping up on his finger tips, so I say go for it.

We bought some when we spent a week in Cozumel. No issues. Not sure why it should be as it's OTC in the US.

I bet they serve the drink, "Painkiller" at the bars there.:p

The 200mg strength is OTC. If someone wants a stronger dosage (400, 600, or 800) that's a prescription strength.

Call me a Nervous Nellie (or some more colourful name, if you prefer:p), but I wouldn't feel comfortable with trusting drugs from Mexico. I've heard too many horror stories of the actual make-up of some of these drugs (road paint and talc, for example). Now, I know, that particular reference was counterfeit prescription meds, but nothing I've heard has made me feel particularly warm and fuzzy about their OTCs, either. To me, the savings in money isn't worth the risk. But, hey, I'm not knocking y'all that do it. Just blabbing my opinion.:o

If you need a higher strength, just take more of the OTC stuff...but don't over do it for long periods of time...that stuff can hurt your body! Take as a doctor directs. Don't drink while taking Tylenol or ibuprofen (advil).... These drugs can ruin your kidneys and liver...so be careful. Don't self-prescribe!

Call me a Nervous Nellie (or some more colourful name, if you prefer:p), but I wouldn't feel comfortable with trusting drugs from Mexico. I've heard too many horror stories of the actual make-up of some of these drugs (road paint and talc, for example). Now, I know, that particular reference was counterfeit prescription meds, but nothing I've heard has made me feel particularly warm and fuzzy about their OTCs, either. To me, the savings in money isn't worth the risk. But, hey, I'm not knocking y'all that do it. Just blabbing my opinion.:o

Opinion well taken. My for profit HMO had tried to force me to take generic prescriptions made in a sanctioned factory (Ranbaxy) in India, even after the the US FDA found glass particles in the generic Lipitor pills. Luckily I paid with my credit card and was able to thwart my HMO and get a refund for the useless doses.

When we went we bought some antibiotics and no script needed. On the shelves were many other goodies that no one needed a script for. The little blue pills was flying off the shelves. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by skiwee

Personally I would not buy any type of medication in Mexico you must remember there are no FDA regulations in Mexico you are taking a chance on what you are getting. I bought my medications in St. Thomas or Grand Cayman if needed. You could always buy what you need on the ship.

Gary

Edited by Shipbound

Keep in mind that counterfeit drug manufacturing in becoming increasingly common and the packaging is almost impossible to distinguish from the actual product, even by experts. In 2004 the World Health Organization estimated that over 10% of the products sold in Mexico where either repackaged expired product or counterfeit. It has gotten worse since then. I have seen some recent reports estimating as high as 40%. Especially in border towns. So called lifestyle products such as ED products are especially suspect.

I know that for one product the reported sales at retail level in Mexico was 35% higher then the manufacturer shipped into the country. Similar to the percentage they found of fake product in some spot checks of pharmacies.

So if you do buy something check it carefully, including the pill itself (you can find some that way, but the stuff these days is good enough to fool experts), and if it seems to not work as expected then consider that it might be fake.

The 200mg strength is OTC. If someone wants a stronger dosage (400, 600, or 800) that's a prescription strength.

I use a lot of ibuprofen.

And a tiny bit of third-grade mathematics.......

200 x 2 = .....hmmmmmmm, lemme think a bit....hmmm carry the elephant .......discount the extra zero........ummmmmmmm......

400?

I use a lot of ibuprofen.

And a tiny bit of third-grade mathematics.......

200 x 2 = .....hmmmmmmm, lemme think a bit....hmmm carry the elephant .......discount the extra zero........ummmmmmmm......

400?

Totally. ;)

But the strength in one tablet is what we're talking about here. If the strength in one tablet is 200, that's OTC.

If the strength in one tablet is 400, or 600, or 800, then it's supposed to be sold by prescription.

Ibuprofen is potent stuff and they (the people who try to control such things)like to feel that they're monitoring it's use properly.

You are much better off just going to Costco and getting their industrial sized bottle than buying anything in Mexico. Simple math will yield you the equivalent dose. 4 x 200 mg will give you the same as the strongest prescription ibuprofen. Just looked at Sams club and you can get 1500 two hundred mg ibuprofen tablets for $9.91. Don't think you can beat that price even in Mexico.

Edited by n6uqqq