Footwear--women and men

lovetotraveltx

Ok it's been determined that low, comfortable waterproof sneaker-type shoes are the best choice for touring Alaska. Which are your favorites and why!

I know I might not find them comfortable, will try them first :)

Also, what footwear do you all wear on the ship on sailing days and to dinner?

Thank you!

Merrel waterproof hiking shoes. I wear them in the Caribbean also, on and off the ship.[ATTACH]324668[/ATTACH]i wear dressier shoes for dinner

Aft Cabins Rule

Me too but I also wear them to dinner with my jacket and tie. In the Caribbean, I wear a ventilator version of the hiking shoes.

Merrells are great!!!

I had four pairs of shoes with me on my land/cruise trip in August. My Walk/Running shoes, Murrel mid cut waterproof shoe similar to picture above, crocs and a nice pair of dress shoes. I wore all more than once during my 20 day trip, however I found I wore my Waterproof Murrel's the most even on excursions unless otherwise was recommended other footwear. They are very comfortable for walking.

The weather on my trip was mostly sunny with very little rain during my entire trip we only had one washout day out of 20 and it was not in Ketchikan, it did rain overnight as we left a few ports, but mostly sprinkles nothing major. We did have some muddy terrain in a couple areas that had had rain the day before we arrived.

I bought my Murrel's on Black Friday at over 50% off their normal retail. They came in handy last winter for all the snow we got.

For our cruise in early June, I took:

• Waterproof Merrill low cut hiking shoes. These were especially nice to have in Juneau where it rained the entire day. We did a whale watching tour and also hiked to Mendenhall Glacier and my feet stayed absolutely dry. Don't forget a waterproof jacket and pants and you will be set to go regardless of the weather!

wolve668354_328902_jb.jpg

• Brooks athletic shoes. Nice to wear on port days when the weather was dry and we weren't planning any strenuous hiking.

brook474385_248310_jb.jpg

• Black ballerina-style flats. These were my dinner shoes. I can't manage heels anymore so these were worn on formal & non-formal nights.

brown616161_95286_jb.jpg

• Crocs (the original style but without the holes). I added these at the last minute and was so glad to have them. I wore them in the cabin and on our balcony where we spent a great deal of time. With a pair of thick hiking socks my feet were comfy and toasty warm.

crocs238402_89359_jb.jpg

Ok it's been determined that low, comfortable waterproof sneaker-type shoes are the best choice for touring Alaska. Which are your favorites and why!

I know I might not find them comfortable, will try them first :)

Also, what footwear do you all wear on the ship on sailing days and to dinner?

Thank you!

First of all, which ever shoes/boots you decide to take, if they ain't comfortable, don't take them. You will be doing a lot of walking and the worst thing to have is uncomfortable shoes, regardless of who makes them, how much you paid for them etc.

Another thing I read here a while back and it was some great advice, don't take a brand new pair of shoes along with you. First of all you just do not know if they will be comfortable enough to wear for long periods of time, second, Alaska is not the place to 'break in' a new pair of shoes.

If you want to buy something new, buy them early and wear them for a month or so beforehand to see if they are suited for what you are planning on doing. A blister would be a bad thing when you are planning on doing a lot of walking/hiking etc. If you must, just waterproof a pair of sneakers/boots you already own and are completely comfortable in.

Cheers

Len

Great tips everyone. I'm asking early hoping there will be deals around the holidays!

Am going to look for waterproof jackets and pants in the columbia outlet and online too.

I live in a hot place. Basically one season with a very, very mild, sporadic winter.

When we lived in Texas we hit the Bass Pro Shop for some of our gear.

and a pair of indoor shoes/slippers if you are ever invited to someone's home in SE. socks w/ holes are fine but you don't wear your outside shoes inside a home.

by routine, i drop my shoes at the door when visiting someone's home down south. it doesn't feel odd until everyone is staring at you.

and a pair of indoor shoes/slippers if you are ever invited to someone's home in SE. socks w/ holes are fine but you don't wear your outside shoes inside a home.

by routine, i drop my shoes at the door when visiting someone's home down south. it doesn't feel odd until everyone is staring at you.

Everyone I know from Fairbanks to Kenai does it the same way. Shoes off at the door. It really takes our out of state visitors some time to realize that its an Alaska thing and not just us.

Everyone I know from Fairbanks to Kenai does it the same way. Shoes off at the door. It really takes our out of state visitors some time to realize that its an Alaska thing and not just us.

january dinner parties is the time to flaunt my christmas socks the lovely mrs b-d knitted for me.

I have bought a pair of merrells but they are just not comfortable.

After years of loving my really comfortable salomon walking shoes I just couldn't find one I liked and since I needed some mid hiking boots for some serious hiking I found the most comfortable hiking boots I have ever worn: Teva Riva Peak. I will probably be taking these with us but we're doing a fair bit of hiking before and after Alaska so it's probably not normal cruise wear.

Being so smitten with these boots (despite the colour) I am looking at going for a Teva waterproof walking shoe:

http://www.teva.com/women-shoes/gannett-wp-mesh/1006505.html?dwvar_1006505_color=BNGC#start=16&cgid=women-shoes

For night time I have a pair of flats that pack, well, flat : )

I wear the same New Balance sneakers I wear at home. No need to buy anything else IMO.

I'm with Coral on this one. I wear the same shoes I do at home. Unless you are doing something adventurous that requires special shoes/boots, you don't need to run out and buy anything special. What would you normally wear to the mall, walking around town, going out to dinner, etc? You should make sure you have something rain-appropriate, but that doesn't mean they have to be special waterproof shoes, just something you might choose to wear on a rainy day at home. Don't over-think it!

I live in Sitka, but have also lived in Juneau and Anchorage. In SE Alaska Xtra Tuffs are the footwear of choice, waterproof. I personally wear Merrell Waterproof hiking boots for most day to day wear here. I also wear the crocs that do not have holes in the bottom for a change in pace. Hope this helps.

I live in Sitka, but have also lived in Juneau and Anchorage. In SE Alaska Xtra Tuffs are the footwear of choice, waterproof. I personally wear Merrell Waterproof hiking boots for most day to day wear here. I also wear the crocs that do not have holes in the bottom for a change in pace. Hope this helps.

Thank you, Capt Ricky for the Xtra Tuffs mention. What else is everyone wearing in SE Alaska? Brand rain gear, jackets, fleece, etc?

Following....

Also, does anyone have a problem with Crocs and falling? I had a pair of Crocs that I LOVED until I fell/Slipped twice on wet sidewalks. I was told it was because the bottom traction had worn out...but I am so afraid to try again....it HURTS when you fall not to mention the embarrassment!