HAL to offer free internet?

Sam.Seattle

Let us clear up something about internet speed on ships. Yes it is slow...but that is only because the cruise lines do not "choose" to pay for sufficient band width and upgrade their onboard routing and switching systems. RCI is experimenting with fast internet on several of their ships (yes, it does exist) but we do not expect this on HAL. HAL siphons off plenty of bandwidth (and speed) for their own onboard business operations and what is left is allocated to passengers. So the irony is that we seem to get better, faster internet on the ships where we get it for free. But on HAL (which is about the only cruise line where we get no free internet) it is among the worst WiFi connection on the seven seas. This seems to be in keeping with HAL's slow adaptation of new technology. Has anyone ever tried to use the interactive cabin TV options on HAL? I doubt it...because it does not exist. How about self service kiosks where you can quickly print out your current onboard statement. Nope...does not exist on HAL. We have also been on HAL ships where Wifi does not even work in our cabin. Given that HAL is charging around 50 cents a minute for WiFi...the least they could do is make it available everywhere on the ship. Additional routers/boosters would pay for themselves in a few weeks. But we understand that we are wasting our breath (and typing fingers) here as HAL management is still back in the early 1900s with their thinking. Some of us would love to drag this line into the 21st Century...but alas, this is not going to happen until there are some key management changes in both personnel and attitude. End of rant :)

Hank Edited by Hlitner

[quote name='Hlitner']
<snip>

But we understand that we are wasting our breath (and typing fingers) here as HAL management is still back in the early 1900s with their thinking. Some of us would love to drag this line into the 21st Century...but alas, this is not going to happen until there are some key management changes in both personnel and attitude. End of rant :)

Hank[/QUOTE]

Some prefer to see it as a traditional approach to cruising. :D;)

[quote name='Hlitner']Let us clear up something about internet speed on ships. Yes it is slow...but that is only because the cruise lines do not "choose" to pay for sufficient band width and upgrade their onboard routing and switching systems. RCI is experimenting with fast internet on several of their ships (yes, it does exist) but we do not expect this on HAL. HAL siphons off plenty of bandwidth (and speed) for their own onboard business operations and what is left is allocated to passengers. So the irony is that we seem to get better, faster internet on the ships where we get it for free. But on HAL (which is about the only cruise line where we get no free internet) it is among the worst WiFi connection on the seven seas. This seems to be in keeping with HAL's slow adaptation of new technology. Has anyone ever tried to use the interactive cabin TV options on HAL? I doubt it...because it does not exist. How about self service kiosks where you can quickly print out your current onboard statement. Nope...does not exist on HAL. We have also been on HAL ships where Wifi does not even work in our cabin. Given that HAL is charging around 50 cents a minute for WiFi...the least they could do is make it available everywhere on the ship. Additional routers/boosters would pay for themselves in a few weeks. But we understand that we are wasting our breath (and typing fingers) here as HAL management is still back in the early 1900s with their thinking. Some of us would love to drag this line into the 21st Century...but alas, this is not going to happen until there are some key management changes in both personnel and attitude. End of rant :)

Hank[/QUOTE]

I get free internet on Princess. It's been no better or worse than Hal's. I'm curious to hear if other Princess cruisers (yes I know this is the Hal board) find the Princess internet is so much better.

[quote name='cbr663']Some prefer to see it as a traditional approach to cruising. :D;)[/QUOTE]

And riding horses is a "traditional approach to transportation." Your point? And when you mention "traditional" cruising my personal experience only goes back to 1975. But even in that modern age I recall tendering in open life boats (where I horribly bruised my shin on a cross beam). And to get in those tenders (on Sitmar) we had to go down a ladder off a tiny platform. So if HAL cruisers want "traditional" very few of them would be able to get off the ship in a tender port :).

Getting back to traditional, I recall big shows where they had 12 piece bands (with nothing dubbed-in). I recall lavish midnight buffets nearly every night. I recall when the classical duos where quartets or quintets. And the "traditional" approach to cruising did not have any internet...because it did not exist. And we remember several "traditional" cruise lines like Sitmar, Regency, etc.. and they are all GONE...on the bottom of scrap heap (or sea) with the other "traditional" ships.

Hank Edited by Hlitner

[quote name='cruz chic']I get free internet on Princess. It's been no better or worse than Hal's. I'm curious to hear if other Princess cruisers (yes I know this is the Hal board) find the Princess internet is so much better.[/QUOTE]

We do not find Princess internet any better or worse then on HAL. On the other hand, we get our Princess internet for Free! And their WiFi works in all the cabins on all their ships! HAL is still the only line where passengers might have to go to a public area to access WiFi (this happened to us recently on the Westerdam).

Hank

[quote name='Hlitner']We do not find Princess internet any better or worse then on HAL. On the other hand, we get our Princess internet for Free! And their WiFi works in all the cabins on all their ships! HAL is still the only line where passengers might have to go to a public area to access WiFi (this happened to us recently on the Westerdam).

Hank[/QUOTE]
The way I read your post was to say the every cruise line was better than Hal's. I have done two cruises on the Westy and on both cruises I used the internet from my room. I was on the Westy in mid April. The only ship I've had issues with using internet in my room is on the NA. I have had to sit close to my door to use the internet. I've found the same to be true on Princess. I know one thing for sure, if I disliked things on a cruiseline as much as it seems you do I would not give them one cent of my money. That's why I have zero interest in ever cruising celebrity again. Talk about the bottom of the scrap heap. Edited by cruz chic

The wifi did not work on the Prinsendam even in the library and adjacent lounges. I have never had luck in a HAL cabin. I have spent my last dime on HAL Internet, I will search out shore hotspots and we did just that on Prinsendam after wasting $100 or so on a ship package.
Wifi worked in the cabins on Princess, Oceania and Viking.

[quote name='sammiedawg']The wifi did not work on the Prinsendam even in the library and adjacent lounges. I have never had luck in a HAL cabin. I have spent my last dime on HAL Internet, I will search out shore hotspots and we did just that on Prinsendam after wasting $100 or so on a ship package.
Wifi worked in the cabins on Princess, Oceania and Viking.[/QUOTE]

That is crazy. They should be refunding money in that case. What happened when you complained about it? If I paid for internet that didn't work I'd be hopping mad.

[quote name='Hlitner']Surely you jest? Younger cruisers on HAL! The line wants to attract younger cruisers because the younger adults spend more money on ships and increasing onboard revenue is important to the overall business plan. But we just do not see why any young couple or family would want to cruise on HAL. As frequent cruisers who have been on many lines (14 to date) we are often ask to help friends (and friends of friends) choose cruises. We never recommend HAL for anyone under 50...and think that's even too young for many HAL cruises.

Like you, we do not see free internet as the "deal maker" but we will admit it is just one more item that enters into our decision making. Most of our love of HAL is related to their itineraries and it is the primary reason we book the line. All things being equal (itinerary wise) we would choose Celebrity, Princess, Azamara, and sometimes even RCI or Carnival over HAL. And this is just sticking with mass market lines (some might put Azamara in a higher category). As to Carnival, we would now be very selective (only longer repo cruises). Carnival actually has a better Lido (quality. layout, and selection) then HAL and their entertainment is generally more enjoyable. And on a line like Carnival I can actually find folks awake after 10pm and the midnight adult comedy shows are fun (and packed).

Think about it. Can you imagine HAL doing a late night comedy show?

Hank[/QUOTE]

Just to set my opinion forth...HAL does offer something for the under 50 crowd. My wife and I are 36 and have been cruising since we married. We generally cruise a couple times a year. Once to take our son and other families on more "exciting" vacations and a second for us to relax. For those relaxing escapes, HAL is our choice. We appreciate the quiet relaxed upscale atmosphere that we find on HAL. Not everyone under 50 is always looking for a party. We may be in the minority, but it's a a minority that we love being part of...and we definitely are not the only under 50s to enjoy HAL.
Sent from my iPhone using Forumsjust Edited by mrspeck

Prior to seeing this thread, I read this news story and sent HAL an email (as I have done for 2-3 years) requesting they include complimentary internet for Neptune Suite guests or 5 star mariners. Now I read earlier posts about potential 6 & 7 star levels and the insane amount of cruises days required for complimentary internet! No way! This would never apply as a benefit for 99.9% of HAL cruisers!!

"Beginning fall 2015, Oceania Cruises will offer complimentary Internet to passengers booked in either a suite or Concierge-level cabin on any of its ships fleetwide. Passengers booked in Owner's, Vista or Oceania suites will receive unlimited free Internet for the length of their voyage, while those booked in Penthouse suites or Concierge-level cabins will receive a block of complimentary Internet time, based on the length of the voyage; a seven-night cruise equates to 200 free Internet minutes, and extends up to 500 minutes for voyages of 16 nights or longer. "

[quote name='boze9999']Prior to seeing this thread, I read this news story and sent HAL an email (as I have done for 2-3 years) requesting they include complimentary internet for Neptune Suite guests or 5 star mariners. Now I read earlier posts about potential 6 & 7 star levels and the insane amount of cruises days required for complimentary internet! No way! This would never apply as a benefit for 99.9% of HAL cruisers!!

"Beginning fall 2015, Oceania Cruises will offer complimentary Internet to passengers booked in either a suite or Concierge-level cabin on any of its ships fleetwide. Passengers booked in Owner's, Vista or Oceania suites will receive unlimited free Internet for the length of their voyage, while those booked in Penthouse suites or Concierge-level cabins will receive a block of complimentary Internet time, based on the length of the voyage; a seven-night cruise equates to 200 free Internet minutes, and extends up to 500 minutes for voyages of 16 nights or longer. "[/QUOTE]That poster was joking about the 6 and 7 star mariners.

Several years ago (2011, I think) on the world cruise at Q & A with Stein Kruse he stated that Holland would never offer free internet as a Mariner perk. That said, Holland does give 5 star Mariners 1/2 price off the 100 minute package. 100 minutes doesn't get you very far on a world cruise and comes out to about the same price per minute as the 1000 minute package, so it is really no perk

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Not only do I believe that HAL will not give free Internet to one and all as part of the cruise fare, I believe they should not do so. To have free Internet dilutes accessibility for those trying to get their share of the bandwidth. Not to mention people tying up the ship's computers for hours while they chat away on Facebook, check their stocks, and otherwise surf the 'net. :rolleyes:

Now, to have more free minutes for some passengers as a perq, such as 5* and/or upper level cabins, is something else again. That would be a nice reward for all the time/money paid to HAL. As of now, I appreciate the reduced cost for an Internet package that I do get. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='RuthC'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Not only do I believe that HAL will not give free Internet to one and all as part of the cruise fare, I believe they should not do so. To have free Internet dilutes accessibility for those trying to get their share of the bandwidth. Not to mention people tying up the ship's computers for hours while they chat away on Facebook, check their stocks, and otherwise surf the 'net. :rolleyes:

Now, to have more free minutes for some passengers as a perq, such as 5* and/or upper level cabins, is something else again. That would be a nice reward for all the time/money paid to HAL. As of now, I appreciate the reduced cost for an Internet package that I do get. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[B] Ditto to all. :)

[/B]

[quote name='CruisinTexans']Several years ago (2011, I think) on the world cruise at Q & A with Stein Kruse he stated that Holland would never offer free internet as a Mariner perk. That said, Holland does give 5 star Mariners 1/2 price off the 100 minute package. 100 minutes doesn't get you very far on a world cruise and comes out to about the same price per minute as the 1000 minute package, so it is really no perk[/QUOTE]

It does get you somewhere on a shorter cruise, though!

[quote name='SilvertoGold']It does get you somewhere on a shorter cruise, though![/QUOTE]
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]It gets you "somewhere" on every cruise on which you purchase at least 100 minutes. The 1/2 off the 100-minute price can be applied to the larger packages, too.
Agreed, that for 1000 minutes it's not a big amount, but it is still $27.50 off the price. It's not as if it's a lost perq when you purchase a larger package.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Thanks everyone for your input and thoughts. I usually avoid the words "always" and "never", because they seem to quickly haunt me...

Everything evolves one way or another.

I asked the question because of Oceania offering free internet and RCL's new "Smart Ship" proves that technology seems to have advanced to a point where internet is going to simply be excepted.

Oceania (yes, I know will be owned by NCL soon) targets and older upscale market and RCL targets a younger audience, so it might be safe to assume HAL needs to come up with something to retain and attract customers.

The idea of rewarding loyal customer's is interesting assuming there are any customers left to reward. Internet for me is not a reward, but an expectation regardless if I pay for it or it is included in my ticket price. Edited by Sam.Seattle

Oceania's free internet offer will certainly help differentiate itself from the other premium brands. It is certainly something that has caught my attention, as has the smart technology being introduced on the Quantum.

I work in an industry that is 100% reliant on having internet access. Not having secure, high speed internet on a ship limits the amount of time that I can spend away from my business. This has meant cruises of 7 days only. Having access to high speed internet would be a game changer for me and allow me to think about cruises of longer duration.

[quote name='CruisinTexans']What did you mean when you said the 1/2 off the 100 minute package can be applied to larger packages? If I am missing some discount, please enlighten me. I love saving money.[/QUOTE]
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Leslie, a 100-minute package costs $55. Higher ranking Mariners get a perq of 1/2 off that price, or a $27.50 refund when that package is purchased.

When I purchase a 250-minute package for $100 instead, I am still given the $27.50 refund, since I purchased at least the $55, plus.
The refund isn't limited to the 100-minute package only. It's more like 100-minutes, or bigger, package. I don't lose the $27.50 just because I purchase more.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='RuthC'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Leslie, a 100-minute package costs $55. Higher ranking Mariners get a perq of 1/2 off that price, or a $27.50 refund when that package is purchased.

When I purchase a 250-minute package for $100 instead, I am still given the $27.50 refund, since I purchased at least the $55, plus.
The refund isn't limited to the 100-minute package only. It's more like 100-minutes, or bigger, package. I don't lose the $27.50 just because I purchase more.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Thank you, Ruth! Didn't know that, now I do. Good thing I make it my business to read every post you write.

I am sure all 5 stars join me in thanking you for this bit of money-saving info!

[quote name='SilvertoGold']Thank you, Ruth! Didn't know that, now I do. Good thing I make it my business to read every post you write.

I am sure all 5 stars join me in thanking you for this bit of money-saving info![/QUOTE]
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]You are all most welcome.

The first time I cruised with this perq, I asked about the refund, and was told I would get it on the larger package. I was.
I didn't purchase Internet on my recent Volendam cruise, but did on the Amsterdam the next week. I purchased the 250-minute package, and didn't even inquire about the refund; it was applied automatically. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='cbr663']Oceania's free internet offer will certainly help differentiate itself from the other premium brands. It is certainly something that has caught my attention, as has the smart technology being introduced on the Quantum.

I work in an industry that is 100% reliant on having internet access. Not having secure, high speed internet on a ship limits the amount of time that I can spend away from my business. This has meant cruises of 7 days only. Having access to high speed internet would be a game changer for me and allow me to think about cruises of longer duration.[/QUOTE]
I think you are the future....
I really like HAL and hope they begin to embrace positive changes and survive. Edited by Sam.Seattle