Missed a port due to weather? RCCL's new (?) policy says they keep port fees!

Jordster

Anyone else remember this from years ago? This is possibly as many as 15-18 years ago we received vouchers from RCI because they got in trouble for not refunding port fees for missed ports? We received two $40 vouchers that we could apply to our next cruise. Turns out ours expired before we had a chance to use them. Anyone? I couldn't have dreamt this, could I?

I think that class action refund (We received vouchers from RC and Princess, too) was because the cruise lines were bundling port fees into the cruise fare. But I don't really remember either.

A long time ago, I was on a cruise and we missed a port due to weather. Everyone received a $50 credit, which was the amount that the cruise line had paid for port fees.

I was on the Freedom of the Seas on 8/24 and our first port (Coco Bay, Bahamas) was stormed out. There was no refund ... And of course RCCL's contract says they now keep the difference.

Feels to me like they changed their policy to profit off of the misfortune of their customers. Very disappointing.

Hate to bust your bubble but I was on the same cruise and we received slightly over $21 each. I would check your end of cruise statement just to be sure. If it's not there call them and ask for it.:):)

Wouldn't the actual port charge and tax be irrelevant if the ship doesn't call a specific port (CocoCay for instance)? Let's say they collected $100 total from me, and $120 total from you since we booked at different times. If we skip the port that means we've both paid for something that the cruse line is no longer responsible for paying. They surely don't have to pay these port fees and taxes if they miss a port, right? Wouldn't that mean each of us were due back something? Unless of course at the same time all the other ports on that itinerary subsequently had a port charge / tax increase.

In your example, the port fees went up between the 2 bookings, if we work on the $120 as being the total port fees for the cruise, then I have underpaid $20, RCI does not collect this underpayment. If we miss a port, and the port fees for that port are $20, then the total fees for the cruise are now $100, the amount I paid. You would be entitled to a $20 refund, but I would be entitled to nothing as the amount I paid was equal to the amount the cruise line paid out on my behalf.

I think that class action refund (We received vouchers from RC and Princess, too) was because the cruise lines were bundling port fees into the cruise fare. But I don't really remember either.

I think your memory is better than mine. :) I did just check, our last time on Princess was 1999 and I don't remember getting a voucher from them so these vouchers probably arrived after then. I can't remember what I watched on tv last night let alone something from 15 years ago. :o It looks like they are solving the recent missing port charge refunds anyway.

Edited by CruiseKeeper

A long time ago, I was on a cruise and we missed a port due to weather. Everyone received a $50 credit, which was the amount that the cruise line had paid for port fees.

I was on the Freedom of the Seas on 8/24 and our first port (Coco Bay, Bahamas) was stormed out. There was no refund ... And of course RCCL's contract says they now keep the difference.

Feels to me like they changed their policy to profit off of the misfortune of their customers. Very disappointing.

I think your title is misleading.:( It's obvious from the responses that this is NOT a new policy, and if your port fees weren't refunded then you need to contact RCI about the issue.

Without seeing what you're looking at, I'm going to assume that the contract language you're referring to is that the cruise line doesn't give compensation or refunds for a missed port unless the change is caused by something under the cruise line's control. There's a BIG difference between that and not refunding port fees.

If you were also stopping in Nassau, Royal is correct, you will not be refunded because their agreement with the Bahamas is a flat fee whether they visit one or both ports in Nassau. I've already been through this with them and this is what their HQ explained to me a couple of years ago. Coco Cay is often missed due to weather. Did you stop in Nassau?

I was on the same cruise and we did not stop anywhere else in the Bahamas. The refund did not post to the account until later in the week. Perhaps the OP overlooked it on his bill.

To the poster that was told Diamond members do not receive port charge refunds: I'm a Diamond and I received my refund.

Well, I think I might have been wrong after reading everyone's comments.

There was a credit, but it was listed as some sort of tax. I figured I had overpaid or double paid some sort of tax, and never thought about it again until now... When I get home, I'm going to check my invoice.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I tried to edit the OP, but evidently this site doesn't allow that.

Edited by Jordster

I tried to edit the OP, but evidently this site doesn't allow that.

It does for a period of time immediately after you orginally post. I think it is around 15 minutes to 30 minutes. After that time it is there forever, unless the moderators remove it.

I think your memory is better than mine. :) I did just check, our last time on Princess was 1999 and I don't remember getting a voucher from them so these vouchers probably arrived after then. I can't remember what I watched on tv last night let alone something from 15 years ago. :o It looks like they are solving the recent missing port charge refunds anyway.

Here was the case that we received the vouchers for:

http://articles.latimes.com/1996-07-28/travel/tr-28756_1_cruise-line

It was around 1996, and covered cruises for the previous 4 years. Interesting case. :)

And the settlement vouchers:

http://articles.latimes.com/2001/mar/25/travel/tr-42361

Edited by Coralc

Here was the case that we received the vouchers for:

http://articles.latimes.com/1996-07-28/travel/tr-28756_1_cruise-line

It was around 1996, and covered cruises for the previous 4 years. Interesting case. :)

And the settlement vouchers:

http://articles.latimes.com/2001/mar/25/travel/tr-42361

I am very impressed. :cool:

In your example, the port fees went up between the 2 bookings, if we work on the $120 as being the total port fees for the cruise, then I have underpaid $20, RCI does not collect this underpayment. If we miss a port, and the port fees for that port are $20, then the total fees for the cruise are now $100, the amount I paid. You would be entitled to a $20 refund, but I would be entitled to nothing as the amount I paid was equal to the amount the cruise line paid out on my behalf.

However the the cruise line did nout pay out your $100 since the ship did not stop at the port. Because of the ship did not stop at that port, the port could not charge the ship on your behalf. You would be refunded $100 while the other person would be refunded $120

If not, the Attorney Generals of several states would be interested. As several other people of mentioned, there were lawsuits in regards to cruise lines keep the port fees.

We were on the Freedom in July and were about 45 minutes late into St. Thomas. We I got my final bill, it showed port fee refunds of $6.80 for each family member. I assumed that was because of the slightly shorter time docked in St. Thomas.

It does for a period of time immediately after you orginally post. I think it is around 15 minutes to 30 minutes. After that time it is there forever, unless the moderators remove it.

...actually it is 20 minutes. :D If you attempt to edit past that time I believe you must provide a reason to the mods for your edit.

Hello to the family!

Edited by leaveitallbehind

However the the cruise line did nout pay out your $100 since the ship did not stop at the port. Because of the ship did not stop at that port, the port could not charge the ship on your behalf. You would be refunded $100 while the other person would be refunded $120

If not, the Attorney Generals of several states would be interested. As several other people of mentioned, there were lawsuits in regards to cruise lines keep the port fees.

Thank you. I'm glad I wasn't the only person thinking this way.

The port fees WERE returned, approx. $21 per passenger. If u did not get it call them.

People are not understanding the $100/$120 explanation, in spite of the fact that it's been adequately explained twice. (Reading comprehension is your friend, people!)

Let's see if I can explain it in extremely detailed terms so people can understand it.

A hypothetical cruise is scheduled to make four hypothetical port calls. Each port (not the cruise line) charges a tax on a per-person basis. Each port can also change the amount of the tax at any time.

So, let's say I book my cruise, and RCCL charges me the following prices for port taxes, as these are the prices in effect at the time of my booking:

Port A: $20

Port B: $15

Port C: $35

Port D: $30

_________

Total: $100

Someone Else books a month later, and the charges have gone up for two of the ports, so they end up paying:

Port B: $25

Port D: $40

_________

Total: $120

At this point, if the ship stops at all four ports, the cruise line is going to "eat the difference" between the $100 that I paid and the $120 that is actually going to be due to the various port entities because of the tax increase at some of the ports.

Then the weather (or whatever) prevents us from stopping at Port A, but we still stop at Ports B, C, and D. Those taxes are $25, $35, and $40, for a total paid out of $100 per person.

The cruise line then looks at my account, sees that I paid $100 towards port fees and RCCL paid out $100 for port fees on my behalf. $100=$100, they don't owe me any money for the missed port.

The cruise line then looks at Someone Else's account, sees that they paid $120 towards port fees and RCCL paid out $100 for port fees on their behalf. $120>$100, so RCCL owes Someone Else $20 for the missed port.

People are not understanding the $100/$120 explanation, in spite of the fact that it's been adequately explained twice. (Reading comprehension is your friend, people!)

Let's see if I can explain it in extremely detailed terms so people can understand it.

A hypothetical cruise is scheduled to make four hypothetical port calls. Each port (not the cruise line) charges a tax on a per-person basis. Each port can also change the amount of the tax at any time.

So, let's say I book my cruise, and RCCL charges me the following prices for port taxes, as these are the prices in effect at the time of my booking:

Port B: $15

Port D: $30

_________

Total: $100

Someone Else books a month later, and the charges have gone up for two of the ports, so they end up paying:

Port B: $25

Port D: $40

_________

Total: $120

At this point, if the ship stops at all four ports, the cruise line is going to "eat the difference" between the $100 that I paid and the $120 that is actually going to be due to the various port entities because of the tax increase at some of the ports.

Then the weather (or whatever) prevents us from stopping at Port A, but we still stop at Ports B, C, and D. Those taxes are $25, $35, and $40, for a total paid out of $100 per person.

The cruise line then looks at my account, sees that I paid $100 towards port fees and RCCL paid out $100 for port fees on my behalf. $100=$100, they don't owe me any money for the missed port.

The cruise line then looks at Someone Else's account, sees that they paid $120 towards port fees and RCCL paid out $100 for port fees on their behalf. $120>$100, so RCCL owes Someone Else $20 for the missed port.

Great explanation! That makes complete and total sense...but when they don't explain it, it gets very confusing for customers:D Also, the explanation that the Bahamas may "bundle" their port fees for all of the Bahamas could explain why some people are in cruises that are not refunded (they go to Nassau, but not Cococay) and some are refunded (they only have one Bahamian port in their itinerary and miss it)

What I still can't understand is a concierge telling someone that "diamond members don't get their port fees refunded" Huhn? Do we not pay them, cause I sure am! I swear if they don't know they just make stuff up in CS! Then they have an internal competition at the company holiday party for who told the biggest whopper and had a customer buy it;)

• 4 weeks later...

Any further updates to this issue? The Legend TA missed a port and from anecdotal evidence it seems no one got a refund. Customer service twice tried to say that no refund is due. When finally pressed and told that even the captain said we would get our port taxes refunded they issued a refund.

Is this one of those things that the amount is somewhat trivial and customers don't pay attention to the account details to notice?

That would be if you missed ALL the ports on a cruise, we are talking about missing only 1 port