Tipping for Kids

skudy

I suppose if NCL thought it ridiculous, they would make an exception for a family of 5. They don't. It's $12 per person, per day. That is for all of the service personnel - not just the room steward. Since the couple next door are only 2 people, I can't imagine why anyone would think 5 should pay the same amount for wait staff, laundry, and room steward. I hate seeing people get ripped off, especially those from poor countries, working in jobs that pay so little.

Its absurd a family of 5 would contribute that much for the behind the scenes crew and their welfare fund. Just remove it and tip cash to the people who directly provide individual service. However much you feel is appropriate for services rendered.

Let ncl pay the behind the scene crew and welfare fund. I will have none of it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

There is only one cabin to vacuum and one bathroom to clean. I would reduce to half what is SUGGESTED for the kids and leave the full amount for the 2 adults. Go to guest services and adjust to what you want, they happily accommodate you. You could also leave only the 2 adults tipping intact and remove the 3 kids tips and then use cash to supplement the people who you feel deserve it like the kids club. You decide what feels right for you.

So, the kids beds won't need to be made and turned down or set up if using the couch? So the kids won't be eating breakfast, lunch, and dinner where they will be served, dishes washed, glasses washed, silverware washed, napkins used and washed? So the kids won't need towels for their shower/bath or towels for the pool that will need to be washed and replaced? The kids won't be using any of the slides, rock climbing walls, etc. etc. where there will be crew there to help them? The kids won't be ordering room service where the steward will have to remove the plates and clean up after them?

IF you were bringing three stuffed animals and calling them Jane, Bob, and ?Billy and they were just sitting in the room all the time or you were taking them with you wherever you went....then yes, they would require no additional work for anyone.

How much additional work do your three kids have you do daily?

Harriet

Its absurd a family of 5 would contribute that much for the behind the scenes crew and their welfare fund. Just remove it and tip cash to the people who directly provide individual service. However much you feel is appropriate for services rendered.

Let ncl pay the behind the scene crew and welfare fund. I will have none of it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

you do know that cash tips must be turned in and they get split in the pool, tipping cash is the same thing as leaving it on the charge.

There is support within the Guest Service Contract for the Service Charge to be discretionary and subject to adjustment by the guest:

© Service Charges: Certain members of Carrier’s crew are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that are funded in part by the service charge paid by each Guest. The charge , which is automatically added to your onboard account and subject to adjustment at your discretion, is intended to reward service provided in all departments and job categories and is distributed to employees according to Carrier's evaluation of job performance. A portion of the service charge collected by Carrier is also used for fleet-wide crew welfare programs.

There is also support within the Frequently Asked Questions for any services issues to be addressed with Guest Relations before a guest requests adjustment of the Service Charge:

If there is a service issue can the service charges be adjusted on board? Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board guest services desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges.

I personally do not advocate adjustment of the Service Charge just because it is stated to be discretionary and subject to adjustment by the guest, the language relating to it being so does exist.

Based on my reading (and, of course, I may incorrect) almost every cruise line (barring perhaps more high-end luxury lines) incorporates a separately-stated Service Charge type of fee associated with the guest’s overall cost of the cruise fare. Each typically states somewhere that is can be adjusted by the guest in some fashion.

Again, for emphasis, I personally do not advocate adjustment of the Service Charge without cause (for example, some demonstrable shortfall in expected services such as, but not limited to, cabin attendance or dining experience).

The debate regarding the rationale of the Service Charge being assessed per guest shouldn’t be narrowly limited to such performance as “vacuuming”, “bed-making” or “bathroom cleaning” and how the services provided to two guests per cabin may proportionally differ from five guests per cabin (and any impact based on their ages). In my opinion, there is a level of service provided to each guest and where a Service Charge is assessed it is rightly per guest (not per cabin as some have alluded to).

The fee structure by the cruise lines allocates the Service Charge across amongst a wide group of service providers (not just cabin attendants); some cruise lines go so far as to provide a breakdown of which service groups are provided with what portion of the Service Charge. To try to carve out who would and would not receive a portion of the Service Charge could be challenging (but not impossible) even with a well-intentioned guest wishing to more directly allocate the recipients of their Service Charge.

Long story short, I believe the Service Charge per guest should be accepted as a customary part of the cruise cost and only adjusted or removed in cases where there is an unresolved shortcoming in service. I strongly subscribe to the practice of when any service is exceptional a gratuity be extended accordingly to the service individual who provided it.

And the workload is also based on double occupancy ergo 5 bodies = more work (for everyone - not just the cabin steward).

I agree and that's why I previously stated I would tip full for the 2 adults and half for the kids. $60 a day for tipping is quite a bit and the OP wants to tip the kids program staff too which is nice of them. When tipping becomes more then the fare I think we need to see why this is so. As long as we blindly follow the herd there is no reason for the cruise line to re evaluate what they pay their staff.

Edited by cruzsnooze

I agree and that's why I previously stated I would tip full for the 2 adults and half for the kids. $60 a day for tipping is quite a bit and the OP wants to tip the kids program staff too which is nice of them. When tipping becomes more then the fare I think we need to see why this is so. As long as we blindly follow the herd there is no reason for the cruise line to re evaluate what they pay their staff.

If a change is going to occur in the way cruise lines compensate their staff it will come from the crew demanind a different way of doing things, it will not come from people removing the tips or service charges.

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is are all 5 of these people in one cabin or are they in two cabins? Odds are they are in two cabins.

And if they "reevaluate what they pay their staff" where do you think that will come from? You're playing the 6 vs. half-dozen game.

Thanks to all you who were able to clarify this for me. I now understand the difference between a service fee and a tip.

As for those who expressed sentiment about me being "cheap" and challenging me on why kids should get a break... Like SoringFalcon and others...

So while yes, your kids are small, they still take the same amount of support and their sheets still need washed, their plates still need cleaned etc.

As you probably know, our society generally makes concessions for kids (and seniors and military and...). In fact, its the norm and not the exception.

As an example, I took my kids to see a movie last night:

- Their bums occupied a full seat, yet they paid a reduced price.

- On the way their, we took the bus. They paid a reduced fare.

- We had dinner out. They ordered off the kids menu. Their $5.99 burger cost me $10.99 for the same burger... yes I measured. Mine didn't come with a free drink and ice cream either.

Some of you actually tried to make me feel cheap and ashamed me for asking this question. Please spare me the "how dare you ask" attitude. This is not an unreasonable question to ask! In fact, the very purpose of this forum is to ask questions, help fellow travellers, and share advice. Not to make people feel like dirt for asking a question. This is, after all, the "community" section of the site. My definition of community includes respect and courtesy.

I do appreciate the earnest answers from those genuinely trying to help answer my question.

Thanks to all you who were able to clarify this for me. I now understand the difference between a service fee and a tip.

As for those who expressed sentiment about me being "cheap" and challenging me on why kids should get a break... Like SoringFalcon and others...

As you probably know, our society generally makes concessions for kids (and seniors and military and...). In fact, its the norm and not the exception.

- We had dinner out. They ordered off the kids menu. Their $5.99 burger cost me $10.99 for the same burger... yes I measured. Mine didn't come with a free drink and ice cream either.

Some of you actually tried to make me feel cheap and ashamed me for asking this question. Please spare me the "how dare you ask" attitude. This is not an unreasonable question to ask! In fact, the very purpose of this forum is to ask questions, help fellow travellers, and share advice. Not to make people feel like dirt for asking a question. This is, after all, the "community" section of the site. My definition of community includes respect and courtesy.

I do appreciate the earnest answers from those genuinely trying to help answer my question.

It's not just you... There are numerous people in this thread and on this forum that CHOOSE to adjust their DSC, and encourage others to do the same, when they know full well that it is taking money away from people who have very little say in the money that they receive.

If you asked in earnest and have capitulated on shorting those that are serving you on vacation, then good for you and I apologize for any comments I may have made that offended you. As for those that routinely short-change by cutting their DSC, I offer no such apologies.

It's not just you... There are numerous people in this thread and on this forum that CHOOSE to adjust their DSC, and encourage others to do the same, when they know full well that it is taking money away from people who have very little say in the money that they receive.

If you asked in earnest and have capitulated on shorting those that are serving you on vacation, then good for you and I apologize for any comments I may have made that offended you. As for those that routinely short-change by cutting their DSC, I offer no such apologies.

Thanks Spark! I do intend to pay the full amount. Just thought that maybe kids paid like half price or something, and that maybe I could direct where my tip went to. In all likelihood, I will give the kids club staff a tip above and beyond the service charge.

And your children are getting a discount (reduced fee) cruising as well.....as the 3rd, 4th, and 5th passengers they are not paying full price like you and your husband are.

Harriet

[quote name='skudy']Thanks Spark! I do intend to pay the full amount. Just thought that maybe kids paid like half price or something, and that maybe I could direct where my tip went to. In all likelihood, I will give the kids club staff a tip above and beyond the service charge.[/QUOTE]

CHEERS!!

It's all good, and hope y'all have a great cruise!

:D

[quote name='hpecorari']And your children are getting a discount (reduced fee) cruising as well.....as the 3rd, 4th, and 5th passengers they are not paying full price like you and your husband are.

Harriet[/QUOTE]

Indeed. How else could we afford the upgrade to the Owner's Suite? :eek: I'm kidding of course. Just trying to break up the surly mood with a bit of humor, which this thread needs.

[quote name='skudy']
I do appreciate the earnest answers from those genuinely trying to help answer my question.[/quote]

OP, I am glad you were able to dismiss the attackers and gain the insight you needed to your orignal query.

Sometimes the intent of our written word can be misconstrued and many choose to pounce rather than reflect.

I hope you have a pleasant and enjoyable cruise with your family!

[quote name='skudy']Thanks Spark! I do intend to pay the full amount. Just thought that maybe kids paid like half price or something, and that maybe I could direct where my tip went to. In all likelihood, I will give the kids club staff a tip above and beyond the service charge.[/quote]

The kids club staff is paid a salary and do not participate in the service charge. They do appreciate tips if a passenger feels inclined to leave one for them.

[quote name='Shawnino']Doesn't the D stand for "discretionary"?

How can I be so presumptuous to think I can tell someone else how to use his discretion?[/quote]

The "d" is something CC came up with- NCL simply calls it a service charge. It is adjustable at ones' discretion if there is a service issue, but it is not discretionary as in you may choose to pay it or not.

[quote name='skudy']Thanks Spark! I do intend to pay the full amount. Just thought that maybe kids paid like half price or something, and that maybe I could direct where my tip went to. In all likelihood, I will give the kids club staff a tip above and beyond the service charge.[/quote]

Thanks for being good natured about all the replies! Everyone on here is very opinionated on this topic (one way or the other). You'll probably find that the staff will have earned the tip and more. One more suggestion, at the Guest Services desk there will be these "you did a good job!" forms that you can fill out for staff members who went above and beyond. It doesn't cost anything to fill them out, and I believe the staff member is told if someone fills one out about them, so if you find someone who really went out of their way, make sure to fill one of these forms out!

I hope you have a great vacation!

[quote name='sparks1093']The "d" is something CC came up with- NCL simply calls it a service charge. It is adjustable at ones' discretion if there is a service issue, but it is not discretionary as in you may choose to pay it or not.[/QUOTE]

Maybe not in your mind.
In reality, it seems it is indeed at passengers' discretion.

I'll never understand the type of person who will spend thousands to cruise (cruise fare, getting to and from the port, pre or post cruise hotel stay, excursions, etc.) and put up such a stink about $12 per day. Think about it, it's only $12 per person per day!! I don't care if you're from England, Australia or Venus, pay the DSC! There are many people behind the scenes who benefit from the DSC, not just your room steward.

Different cultures, different expectations. We tip. If you don't like it, too bad. Don't be so cheap!

Jim

[quote name='JimS4210']I'll never understand the type of person who will spend thousands to cruise (cruise fare, getting to and from the port, pre or post cruise hotel stay, excursions, etc.) and put up such a stink about $12 per day. Think about it, it's only $12 per person per day!! I don't care if you're from England, Australia or Venus, pay the DSC! There are many people behind the scenes who benefit from the DSC, not just your room steward.

Different cultures, different expectations. We tip. If you don't like it, too bad. Don't be so cheap!

Jim[/QUOTE]

Agreed 100%!!!