Tipping for Kids

skudy

The service charge isn't a tip per say. It's like a resort fee. It supports all of the back office staff who clean up, wash sheets etc etc. Kids club staff are paid a better wage and don't offer service to everyone on the ship so they're not part of the service charge.

So while yes, your kids are small, they still take the same amount of support and their sheets still need washed, their plates still need cleaned etc.

What is the protocol for tipping for kids? I will be with 3 youngsters plus my spouse. We really don't want to tip $60 per day, and I would really like some of that money to go to the kids club staff.

We haven't cruised NCL yet, but I've been cruising with DD (who is now 19) since she was 21 months old and I've always been so impressed with the service and attention she's received. The crew has always treated her like a princess and I've always tipped at least the suggested amount and tipped the kid's club staff in addition. It's been a great way to teach DD about tipping--she was the one who always gave the camp staff their tip since she was the one who received the service.

DD receives all the services I do--she's served in the restaurants, her cabin is cleaned, etc., so I wouldn't even consider not tipping for that service. I know it's expensive when you have three kids, but IMO that's part of the cost of cruising.

Will your kids be eating? Using bedding? Towels? Bathrooms? If yes, then they have people waiting on them, so they should be tipped. You are welcome to tip the kids club staff as well. If you use the spa, that staff also expects gratuities, as do the luggage handlers, room service waiters. Any drinks automatically get the gratuity added.

I, too, have three children. We always paid for 5 people, because kids are people too.

What is the protocol for tipping for kids? I will be with 3 youngsters plus my spouse. We really don't want to tip $60 per day, and I would really like some of that money to go to the kids club staff.

We leave the daily service charge in place for both of my kids AND tip the kids club staff in addition because my kids get friendly, personalized, outstanding service from all staff on NCL.

As previous posters have said, staff will more than earn service charge with kids. We have taken our DS now 7 on many cruises (1st with NCL next month - yahoo)?and we have always left greater than standard tips for those front facing folks that had direct impact to DS including kids club, room stressed, etc. they had more work to do because we had him than if we had just adults. Part of cost of cruising for us. Lots of behind the scenes stuff that supports the great cruise you all have.

That being said, this topic is an extremely touchy one. Just want to make sure you have right facts when you make decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Actually the steward isn't. The steward will have to make up the extra beds, turn them down etc. So unless everyone is sleeping in the same bed, it's additional work.

Agreed. And the same with the other services as well. Just because they're small doesn't mean they don't create work for the crew. :rolleyes:

We haven't cruised NCL yet, but I've been cruising with DD (who is now 19) since she was 21 months old and I've always been so impressed with the service and attention she's received. The crew has always treated her like a princess and I've always tipped at least the suggested amount and tipped the kid's club staff in addition. It's been a great way to teach DD about tipping--she was the one who always gave the camp staff their tip since she was the one who received the service.

DD receives all the services I do--she's served in the restaurants, her cabin is cleaned, etc., so I wouldn't even consider not tipping for that service. I know it's expensive when you have three kids, but IMO that's part of the cost of cruising.

Same here!! My kids usually make a card or two and then give out the tips to the kids club staff. They are always so excited to tip and really enjoy making the staff so happy!

Same here!! My kids usually make a card or two and then give out the tips to the kids club staff. They are always so excited to tip and really enjoy making the staff so happy!

I like that! :D It's really great to see your kids appreciate what others do for them, too. On our last Alaska cruise when DD was 17, we were on a whale watch and I took some $$ out of my wallet so she could also tip the naturalist. She'd already taken $5 of her own spending money to tip him herself. She told me that it was her responsibility to do it from her own money as she appreciated the service he'd provided. Yep, I was pretty proud. :o Nice to see the lesson was firmly learned. :D

While I always leave the service charge in place for my whole family and have both times tipped extra, for the OP it is actually an extra $420 (60 x 7 days).

I do understand the math, thank you for pointing that out.

My point is go out to eat with the same family 3 times plus all the extra snacks etc, have someone come in each day and clean your toilet, shower, make your bed, vacuum, fill ice buckets and basically make your experience more enjoyable and add on top of that the people behind the scenes who also benefit from the tips.

Quite a bargain in my opinion.

$12 per person, per day. Do not rip off the crew by removing their daily service charges.

Have you seen rooms with kids in them? Have you seen tables and floors after kids eat. It is not just the same room. Kids add work and everyone caters to their wants and needs. I know...I've sailed with my kids since they were 4 and 7 and never once thought to remove the tips or service charges for my kids.

:D:D

That reminded me of our last NCL cruise with the whole family. Our three teenage boys had the cabin next to ours. Their cabin was a disaster 10 minutes after they arrived. :eek::eek: Not only did we not remove their service/resort/tip/fees, I gave the room steward extra! Kinda like danger pay!;)

When we pre-paid our service charge for the cabin they had included our grandson in the charge. We never remove this service fee so liked paying up front. Besides he will receive the same service we do, maybe more.

Don't go crazy on me folk's that is a personal choice. Even if (which happens sometimes) we have somebody not to happy with his job (or just plain rude) why would everybody else go without. Never had anything we have needed to complain to the desk about though. So yes we pre-pay (when possible) and never remove. I said it so slap away :).

I do understand the math, thank you for pointing that out.

My point is go out to eat with the same family 3 times plus all the extra snacks etc, have someone come in each day and clean your toilet, shower, make your bed, vacuum, fill ice buckets and basically make your experience more enjoyable and add on top of that the people behind the scenes who also benefit from the tips.

Quite a bargain in my opinion.

A few months ago we had the need to eat out twice in one day, brunch and dinner. The tips we left came to $9.50 per person for the two meals. Brunch was at IHOP and dinner a mid-range Italian restaurant. So in my view $12 per person is a heck of a deal.

Have you seen rooms with kids in them? Have you seen tables and floors after kids eat. It is not just the same room. Kids add work and everyone caters to their wants and needs. I know...I've sailed with my kids since they were 4 and 7 and never once thought to remove the tips or service charges for my kids.

Lol, I have 5 kids very close in age. When they were little, I would tip at least 30% in restaurants, and offer up apologies.

Why don't you cut back on the price of your cabin. (Change from an oceanview to inside, etc.), so you can pay what is expected so that people get paid for services that they provided. You know, like they earned.

I'm one of the most frugal people around, but the thought that someone would stiff someone else of their pay is frustrating to me. I'm having to watch what I type, because what I really want to type would probably get me kicked off of the these forums.

Suffice to say, if you can't afford what is expected, then downsize, or stay home. There are probably some servers at Applebees that would be missing your 2 dollar tip.

There is only one cabin to vacuum and one bathroom to clean. I would reduce to half what is SUGGESTED for the kids and leave the full amount for the 2 adults. Go to guest services and adjust to what you want, they happily accommodate you. You could also leave only the 2 adults tipping intact and remove the 3 kids tips and then use cash to supplement the people who you feel deserve it like the kids club. You decide what feels right for you.

When we pre-paid our service charge for the cabin they had included our grandson in the charge. We never remove this service fee so liked paying up front. Besides he will receive the same service we do, maybe more.

Don't go crazy on me folk's that is a personal choice. Even if (which happens sometimes) we have somebody not to happy with his job (or just plain rude) why would everybody else go without. Never had anything we have needed to complain to the desk about though. So yes we pre-pay (when possible) and never remove. I said it so slap away :).

I just prepaid my cabins and my sons cabin this morning. Rather not have that money on our bill at end of cruise. And YES we tip extra Always. Be it room steward, drink servers, MDRs or specialty restaurants I never get up from a table without leaving something.

There is only one cabin to vacuum and one bathroom to clean. I would reduce to half what is SUGGESTED for the kids and leave the full amount for the 2 adults. Go to guest services and adjust to what you want, they happily accommodate you. You could also leave only the 2 adults tipping intact and remove the 3 kids tips and then use cash to supplement the people who you feel deserve it like the kids club. You decide what feels right for you.

This seems like a very reasonable and fair suggestion.

That seems a bit harsh. I have never adjusted anything, but I would find it a bit ridiculous that a family of 5 in a room is paying more than twice the couple next door. Meanwhile babies are free and they probably create more work than anyone.

I suppose if NCL thought it ridiculous, they would make an exception for a family of 5. They don't. It's $12 per person, per day. That is for all of the service personnel - not just the room steward. Since the couple next door are only 2 people, I can't imagine why anyone would think 5 should pay the same amount for wait staff, laundry, and room steward. I hate seeing people get ripped off, especially those from poor countries, working in jobs that pay so little.

Edited by SissasMomE