alaska radiance jeans in dining room question

jeannie126

Acceptable? Yes. Another sign of the steady decline of civility & class in our society? Yep.

Jeans are for kids and manual labor. When someone wears "nice" jeans to a nice restaurant, they usually think they're a lot cooler than they are. I tend to think they're a lot lazier than they ought to be. Probably the same people that think a great outfit for air travel is something they look like they passed out in the night before.

Acceptable? Yes. Another sign of the steady decline of civility & class in our society? Yep.

Jeans are for kids and manual labor. When someone wears "nice" jeans to a nice restaurant, they usually think they're a lot cooler than they are. I tend to think they're a lot lazier than they ought to be. Probably the same people that think a great outfit for air travel is something they look like they passed out in the night before.

Good grief...................:rolleyes:

Wear your jeans and don't pay attention to pathetic rants like the one above.

Edited by bouhunter

Good god , should I be shopping for air travel clothes now , do I order them straight from sky mall .

In answer to your question wear what you like , your on holidays

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by Funbobby68

Actually wearing jeans is acceptable in the main dining room on any RCI ship on any itinerary. The suggested dress code does not prohibit jeans, only shorts, flip flops and ball caps, and you will even see those items at times since enforcement of the suggested code is spotty at best. While there are some on this board who feel that jeans are inappropriate apparel for the dining room, (as evidenced by one such response to your question)RCI does not even mention them in its list of clothing items which they suggest you not wear. That said, dress on Alaska cruises is generally more relaxed than on some other itineraries, so you shouldn't feel out of place or under-dressed if you wear them in the MDR.:) Relax and enjoy the fabulous Alaskan itinerary.

I have sailed rccl caribean and have never worn jeans in the dining room.i just wondered if it is acceptable to do so on a alaska cruise? any answers appreciated.

Perfectly acceptable as RCCL does not have a mandatory dress code it's only a "Suggested Guideline". Disregard the rants that will be posted by the self appointed fashion police.

Enjoy your cruise !

Absolutely! Loved our Radiance cruise in June... Wore dark jeans to the My Time Dining every single night, including "formal" nights. It's my cruise and I'm going to be comfortable. Enjoyed watching all the people in formal wear... they looked gorgeous! I get no joy in being dressed like that. If people want to judge me based on what I wear, that is definitely their issue. Have a great cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

thanks for those that gave a nice reply. I never post and it was like a slap in the face when the first post was so mean. wow!!!

Oh my.... It wasn't mean. I was just sharing my opinion. I would never say something to someone in person, but these are basically anonymous message boards. I respect that I'm in the minority. But I am still completely entitled to my opinion. Perhaps it was a bit unsolicited, but it doesn't change the fact that I am still entitled to it.

Why is it we completely respect and support the "do whatever you want" opinions around here, but when someone makes a frank observation about how society has changed in a way he or she doesn't necessarily think is for they better, it is seen as a "slap in the face"?

Can you wear jeans in the MDR? Absolutely! People do it all the time. And it is unlikely anyone will say anything. In fact, I think it would be FANTASTICALLY INAPPROPRIATE if anyone did. All I did was share MY opinion about the current trend. Perhaps I did it in a somewhat colorful fashion. But it's just how I feel. Do I lose sleep over it? hardly! But I just threw it out there.

No feel free to resume your flaming of me as a terrible human being, simply for sharing my opinion.

Oh my.... It wasn't mean. I was just sharing my opinion. I would never say something to someone in person, but these are basically anonymous message boards. I respect that I'm in the minority. But I am still completely entitled to my opinion. Perhaps it was a bit unsolicited, but it doesn't change the fact that I am still entitled to it.

Why is it we completely respect and support the "do whatever you want" opinions around here, but when someone makes a frank observation about how society has changed in a way he or she doesn't necessarily think is for they better, it is seen as a "slap in the face"?

Can you wear jeans in the MDR? Absolutely! People do it all the time. And it is unlikely anyone will say anything. In fact, I think it would be FANTASTICALLY INAPPROPRIATE if anyone did. All I did was share MY opinion about the current trend. Perhaps I did it in a somewhat colorful fashion. But it's just how I feel. Do I lose sleep over it? hardly! But I just threw it out there.

No feel free to resume your flaming of me as a terrible human being, simply for sharing my opinion.

You're entitled to your opinion, as hyperbolic and judgmental as it may be...

You're entitled to your opinion, as hyperbolic and judgmental as it may be...

It would be hyperbolic and judgmental IF I were to share it with someone directly. i.e. if the OP walked into the MDR in jeans and I criticized her. I would NEVER EVER do that. All I'm saying is that I find it lamentable that we as a society have embraced the "casualization" of our attire so wholeheartedly. I like to wear nice clothes. They are comfortable and make me feel good. I am struck at the number of people that seem to wake up in the morning, stumble out of bed, look in the mirror and go "this looks good!".

Call me hyperbolic, call me judgmental. You're wrong on both counts. I didn't realize the ONLY opinions that can be shared around here without being subject to criticism are the majority opinions...

It would be hyperbolic and judgmental IF I were to share it with someone directly. i.e. if the OP walked into the MDR in jeans and I criticized her. I would NEVER EVER do that. All I'm saying is that I find it lamentable that we as a society have embraced the "casualization" of our attire so wholeheartedly. I like to wear nice clothes. They are comfortable and make me feel good. I am struck at the number of people that seem to wake up in the morning, stumble out of bed, look in the mirror and go "this looks good!".

Call me hyperbolic, call me judgmental. You're wrong on both counts. I didn't realize the ONLY opinions that can be shared around here without being subject to criticism are the majority opinions...

Keep stirring the pot. You're a pro. ;)

I hate this subject but on our Alaskan cruise in 2010 to my surprise Mom told me that the last night we were on the cruise was t-shirt night :eek: I said "No Way" to my husband then looked at the compass and sure enough that is what it said. First time I ever wore jeans and a t-shirt to the MDR.

BonVoyage

Dawna

I swear this place is overrun with meek middle-agers who are afraid of everything...

That makes no sense whatsoever........:rolleyes:

I was going to move on from this thread, but what the heck, this makes my post #4,000:D

Edited by bouhunter

Good god , should I be shopping for air travel clothes now , do I order them straight from sky mall .

In answer to your question wear what you like , your on holidays

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

And, don't forget that Tuesday and Thursday are formal flights.

Now that's funny!!!

Welcome to cruise critic :) Don't worry about be offended, you'll learn some subjects are "touchy"., we actually are a good group of people w/ tons of helpful information. I will say Alaska is so different b/c it can be very cold and you will see more people in jeans. Wear jeans w/ a nice shirt and maybe heels :) Just have a good time :)

Welcome to cruise critic :) Don't worry about be offended, you'll learn some subjects are "touchy"., we actually are a good group of people w/ tons of helpful information. I will say Alaska is so different b/c it can be very cold and you will see more people in jeans. Wear jeans w/ a nice shirt and maybe heels :) Just have a good time :)

You are just so sweet. :) Bless you. :)