CLASSIC alcoholic beverage package experience, please

texasgirl29

If you sailed with the CLASSIC alcoholic beverage package, what specific drinks did you order and enjoy?

I'm specifically asking people who had the CLASSIC package what they were able to order, I am not anticipating upgrading to the Premium.

Looking forward to your responses, Classic friends. Thanks.

JoAnn

We had the Classic Package in Jan/Feb 2014 on the Century. The only thing that I could not order was a martini in the Martini Bar. Everything else was fine. In 15 days we had Bailey's, Frangelico, Crown Royal, Mudslides, Pina Colada, Aspen Coffee, beer, Margarita, bottled water, pear tea, and anything else our hearts desired. Enjoy!!

We have the classic package too. I think a lot of us have that with the 123Go promotion. We don't want to upgrade to the premium package but we'll see what is available when we board the ship and make our decision at that time. I'm not a big martini type of guy so if that's the biggest difference between the two, I think we'll be fine.

My husband and I had the Classic package on the Silhouette in August 2014. We found that there were only a few times that we ordered something that wasn't included in the package (once i wanted Gatorade and another time i wanted a Singapore Sling - both not included). For the most part anything we wanted was included in the package. We enjoyed pina coladas, margueritas, beer, rum and cokes, wine at dinner, bottle water, mint lemonade and lattes.

Overall I do not think that we drank enough to make the package worth it. In the end we did pay for "peace of mind". We know that if we didn't get the package we would have been tallying up all the drinks we ordered rather than just enjoying the unlimited amount we knew we were entitled to. Hope that makes sense.

The only thing we could not get on the classic,package was the molecular bar.

The bartenders at the martini bar were able to accomodate us, although not with the full drink menu, still we were able to be served there and everywhere else.

We would have had a better choice of wine with premium , but always found a variety that was agreeable.

My husband and I had the Classic package on the Silhouette in August 2014. We found that there were only a few times that we ordered something that wasn't included in the package (once i wanted Gatorade and another time i wanted a Singapore Sling - both not included).

Was there an option to pay the difference for a drink that was out of the Classic price range?

If you are unsure of which pkg is right for you here is what I would do...

1- Monitor this topic... It was an excellent idea to do this. But be aware that individual experiences can & do vary. Availability of items can depend on where in the world the ship is - Stocking - as well as how the Rules are applied ship to ship, venue to venue, and even bartender to bartender. So just because Cruiser X had one particular experience does not mean you will encounter the same... This is particularly true for... Martinis - Molecular Drinks - Drinks with more than one type of Alcohol - Specialty Coffees (those with alcohol in them) - Drink Fights - and Buckets of Beer

2- if you haven't read some of the better posts here on the Celebrity Board about the Alcohol Pkgs

CELEBRITY CRUISES Official Celebrity Beverage Pkgs (May 28, 2014) = http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2048745

SARAFINADH Overview of Drink Pkgs (2012) = http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1571274

(Prices have gone up slightly since 2012... $ 5 per pkg and $ 1 per max limits & also for some individual drinks... But the philosophy remains the same). Also includes my own Comprehensive Wine List from 2012... Which lets Wine Lovers know what sort if stock Celebrity has onboard (Wines on the list can & do change over time... But gives folks a general idea of why Celebrity is said to have the most extensive lst at sea. I will be doing an Update to this list in early 2015)

QE2 FAN Drink Pkg Calculator (2014) = http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2038767

3- And know that you can certainly start out with one pkg - Classic, and try it out... And easily upgrade it when onboard to the Premium for the remainings "days" on your cruise (actually nights... Cause that is how it is charged). Just be aware that nothing can be backdated... So if you have gone over on any item... You will still be charged full price for it.

Upgrade is $ 10 US plus 15% Grats ($ 11.50 US per person / per "day")

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB
Edit to add links

In June on the Summit, we got the following with the classic package:

• Tequila Sunrise
  • Whiskey Sour
  • Vodka Sour
  • Rum Punch
  • Sauvingon Blanc (what my mother is given when she asked for a sweet, white wine)

Plus, just about every kind of hot or iced coffee at Cafe Al Bacio (we were never denied anything - I just don't think we tried everything possible).

We don't drink a lot so there's no way upgrading is worth it for us. The $115 it would cost me to upgrade my package on our upcoming 10 night cruise is probably what I would pay total for alcohol on any other so I'll stick with my "free" package.

Edited by meatloafsfan

If you sailed with the CLASSIC alcoholic beverage package, what specific drinks did you order and enjoy?

I'm specifically asking people who had the CLASSIC package what they were able to order, I am not anticipating upgrading to the Premium.

JoAnn

We sailed with the Eclipse last month and had the classic alcohol package.

We drank bottled Heinekin, Coors and Corona lagers and Beringer Rose wine mainly but also had cocktails and gin and tonic.

My advice would be to stick with the Classic package and ask what drinks are included when ordering your drinks at the bar.

If you find none of your preferred drinks are in the Classic, you can upgrade anytime to the Premium package( this is promoted as soon as you board the ship) Hope this helps:)

It is very easy to upgrade once onboard. Takes less than a minute. We weren't going to upgrade but I wanted to try some of the more expensive French wines. Just one of those a day was more than the price to upgrade. So we did upgrade as my partner decided he wanted to try them too. But there is plenty to enjoy on the classic package too once the price increase issue was sorted last may. (Which originally excluded drinks like Baileys! But which is now back in the classic).

Sailed in June and we recieved the classic package as a free perk. Since we were on an 11 night cruise - we felt it was too pricey for us to upgrade. Unless you are very particular on the type of wine and want to drink mostly Martinis and drinks at that Molecular Bar, you'll be fine. I liked the mojitos, frozen drinks, specialty coffee drinks, bottled water any time, even the "fruity" non alcoholic sodas and smoothies. There were a few whites, reds, and sparkling wines to choose from. I was always able to find something I liked. You can have regular martini and apple martini at the Martini Bar.

If you want to try something - just ask the bartender and let them know you have a classic package and they can make suggestions.

It was very nice not having to worry about receipts and I do feel we definately tried and drank more drinks since we had the package. We found it really nice to just be able to grab bottled waters and enjoy nicer coffees at Cafe Al Bacio.

We were able to get 'small' or 'half size' martinis (cosmo in particular); rusty nail for DH; wine at meals; frozen drinks (pina colada....); as well as the drink of the day but not in a souvenir glass.

We also were able to get bottles of water on our off the ship at the various ports; soda by the can; and espresso coffees (mocha for me; espresso for DH).

Edited by attilamom1217

First 3 times with the 123 perk we got the classic and ungraded to the premium.

On our last cruise we stayed with the classic and were happy.

If you like to explore and try different drinks it may be worth upgrading to try all of the martinis and Molecular bar. After that novelty wears off you will realize that most of those drinks aren't any better than the old standard or classic type drinks.

At the Martini bar we could get a classic vodka, gin, Cosmo or appletini.

If we weren't at that bar a beer, manhattan, mudslide, citrus mojito, a red or white wine at dinner, some frozen daquiris at te pool and etc was all we needed, along with the coffee and tea drinks form the coffee cafe.

Yes it is only $11.50/day pp but if you don't need it why spend it, and if that amount doesn't mean anything than why does Celebrity have to charge extra for it? Because a extra dollar here and there continues to add to the cost of the cruise.

A fairly reasonable price on a 7 day cruise might look tempting at $800 for a balcony, add in the port fees and taxes and you are close to $2000 for 2 or even one if traveling solo. Now add in the gratuities, travel to and from the port, doesn't matter if you are flying or driving, parking somewhere, a few tours, couple dollars spent here and there and now that $800 dollar cruise pp ends up being over $4000. So unless you have unlimited funds you need to monitor all of those small extra costs.

Drink up 🍸🍻🍺🍺

Edited by miched

SARAFINADH Overview of Drink Pkgs (2012) = http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1571274

(Prices have gone up slightly since 2012... $ 5 per pkg and $ 1 per max limits & also for some individual drinks... But the philosophy remains th

Wow that list must have taken forever! Excellent work. The wine in particular has increased quite a bit. Here is the current price list for wines by the glass showing whats covered by the classic/premium package.

beca21f060b514db2868ce6314902fa9.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Was on the Eclipse in July, no problems at all with the classic package, no need for me to upgrade, plenty of choice, and you dont get a big black cross painted on you forehead if you ask for something you cant have, they suggest alternatives. Couldn't be simplier.

On the basis of my experience I would never upgrade, but obviously that is about my preferences, and others will like the higher end wines and bigger martinis and of course the Molecular Bar creations that upgrading gives you access to.

The best advice I have seen on here was to upgrade if you need following a couple of days on board.

Thank you all for your responses. This is very helpful. We are going on our first Celebrity cruise next summer for 14 nights. We already rebooked so we could have the Classic beverage as a perk, and the difference, while quite a bit, made sense for us over the 14 nights so we could have lattes as well as drinks. But to upgrade further to the premium package for 14 nights does not make economic sense for us. Reading the boards over the past few months seemed like everyone upgraded to premium and I'm glad to see there are plenty of satisfied Classic customers!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by texasgirl29

I'm also planning to stick with the classic package next month. So far, there are a few beers I like, Bombay Sapphire appears to be included and I'm sure I'll find wines that I find drinkable. We have a port intensive cruise and I just don't think it makes financial sense to upgrade.

Here is a thread I posted after sailing the Connie (Baltic) this August.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2087866

We too stuck with the classic package and found there to be a decent selection. That being said the wines choices were limited (thank god we were OK with them). I suspect this list varies by ship/destination and will definitely change between now and next year.

. That being said the wines choices were limited (thank god we were OK with them). I suspect this list varies by ship/destination and will definitely change between now and next year.

The wine offerings were the reason we upgraded, but our friends did not and were fine.

JoAnn

I had Jack Daniels wife had Baileys.

We PAID for the package on our last Celebrity cruise. My husband got classic, I got premium. Our friends sailed with us - husband got premium, wife got classic. We ALL drink mostly red wine, with a few cocktails thrown in. Friends drink a lot if the fancy coffees.

We ALL loved the package, but ALL agreed the additional cost to upgrade to premium was totally unnecessary. The 123GO package was one of the main reasons we've booked Celebrity again in December, but none of us will upgrade. (Note: oue December cruise is 16 nights and a repositioning cruise, so only one choice allowed under 123GO, not two. Still a great deal.)

The wine offerings were the reason we upgraded, but our friends did not and were fine.

Wine is the wild card for us. Since we've been cruising, I've learned I can drink most sparkling wine, most pinot grigio and most sauvignon blanc I do somewhat ok with pinot noir.

Cabernet and Chardonnay are the two that I have the most trouble with.

Since we can bring two bottles on and we have 2 cabins, I figure I'll be ok with the reds.

Thank you all for your responses.

........................................... Reading the boards over the past few months seemed like everyone upgraded to premium and I'm glad to see there are plenty of satisfied Classic customers!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Yes that is the problem I guess, happy users remain generally quiet.

I would say most people I encountered had the classic.