Pre-paid Gratuities

RocketMan275

First, let me be very clear, I like pre-paid gratuities and have absolutely no intention of removing them. Please do not assume I'm out to stiff the great personnel providing service on Royal. This has much more to do with a discussion of Dynamic Dining.

Here's the issue: If one chooses my time dining or dynamic dining, then one has no choice but pre-paid gratuities. I've been told that Dynamic Dining is a conspiracy to force passengers to prepay gratuities.

Is it true that it is much more difficult to remove pre-paid gratuities than removing gratuities if one selects traditional dining?

It seems that everyone sees a "conspiracy" when Royal Caribbean (or any other cruise line) makes a change. We are on Quantum in Feb. and I am looking forward to Dynamic Dining. I like the idea of being able to go to a "restaurant" that has a specific menu every night. I hope it'll mean that we'll see a nice improvement in the dishes. If the same people cook the same dishes every night then you'd think they'd "get it right." Most tend to enjoy the specialty restaurants and I suspect part of it is that the cooks become proficient in cooking the menu. Hopefully Dynamic Dining will result in the same thing.

Truthfully I think RCCL has studied the likes and dislikes of their passengers, the experiences delivered on Royal Caribbean compared to other cruise lines, and are making this change in order to set themselves apart.

I doubt it has anything to do with prepaid gratuities. If they wanted to insist that gratuities be prepaid, they could simply do that, just like they charge port charges or fuel surcharges. No need to "be sneaky."

First of all, we are loyal Royals. However, we do not support prepaid "gratuities,"

because a gratuity is a reward given by one person/people to someone who has done something pleasing for him/her. We do still enjoy traditional dining, and never have we failed to generously reward those who have done their job well.

If RC wants to collect $ pre-cruise, then it is no longer a gratuity, but is an

extra cruise fee/service fee/whatever. I really think RC needs to rethink this

strategy. Even though we are Diamond Plus, I never want to have to book

a place to eat at a different DD place months before I sail, in order to eat

what is supposed to be in the MDR at a fixed time. Once I book a sailing, I

want to be finished making decisions, including where I shall dine & how much

service charge I want to pay! I want to give a gratuity to those who have

given us the WOW service after they give us the wow. I just don't like the way

this is going.

I'm sure others will slam you/us for this, so get ready.

Cruzin Lady

When talking cruises, gratuities are not tips. They are a wage subsidy, plane and simple. The subsidy is required because American culture allows employers to stiff employees on their wages. Don't believe me? Then tell me why 30 years ago the generally accepted tip ratio was 10% - 12% and now it's 15% - 20% and pushing higher. Because workers are now working harder and deserve better tips, or because real wages for service staff have slid and a greater subsidy is required? (heaven knows we cannot charge customers the real cost of providing a service, they will think it's expensive and not come - lets charger a cheaper value and stiff our employees on wages to make up the loss and allow the tip culture to rectify the issue)

Once you understand this, Royals approach to gratuities becomes clear.

1. Stiff the employees by paying a low wage

2. Make gratuities compulsory to make up the difference

3. Rely on the overbearing American tip culture to guilt all pax into paying the subsidy.

So just accept it as a misnamed subsidy and let the Auto-tips ride as they really ARE required by the staff. If someone makes a WOW service, then do what that deserves and pay them a real tip (which will be in addition to the subsidy you are already paying)

First, let me be very clear, I like pre-paid gratuities and have absolutely no intention of removing them. Please do not assume I'm out to stiff the great personnel providing service on Royal. This has much more to do with a discussion of Dynamic Dining.

Here's the issue: If one chooses my time dining or dynamic dining, then one has no choice but pre-paid gratuities. I've been told that Dynamic Dining is a conspiracy to force passengers to prepay gratuities.

Is it true that it is much more difficult to remove pre-paid gratuities than removing gratuities if one selects traditional dining?

You read that conspiracy theory from me lol

Pay notice to the "Theory" part of Conspiracy theory and you will realise it is my theory on RCI getting North Americans to accept cruise gratuities for what they really are, "a service Charge" and not individual cash Tips to which you are so used to and which are embedded in your culture.

MTD only requires pre paid gratuities, have you ever wondered why?

What has a dinning option/choice got to do with how your Tips are distributed especially to those who do not even work in a dinning venue, re cabin stewards portion?

Traditional dinning does not require pre paid gratuities, have you ever wondered why?

Because traditional dinning is traditional cruise dinning which has never incurred pre paid tips.

In countries outside USA RCI has started to charge pre paid gratuities at booking no matter what dinning option you choose but not for North American cruisers. Do you wonder why? see below what is taken from my RCI T&C,s but not in your own T&c,s.

"22. Gratuities (tips)

On all of our ships, it is customary to offer gratuities (also known as ‘service charge’ or ‘tips’) to staff members who work to enhance your cruise experience. For guests’ convenience we automatically add your onboard gratuities to our cruise fare so that they are pre-paid in Australian Dollars in advance of your holiday."

I can call RCI and have my pre paid gratuities removed but not for MTD, what would be my reasoning to call them and have them removed other than I dont want to pay them or that amount?

Nationalities outside USA are well used to paying a service charge and or V.A.T /G.S.T and not leaving a US style cash tip so accept gratuities for what they are and accept them being added to the cruise fare price and paid in advance.

Pre paid gratuities for MTD cannot be simply removed at your choice of doing or removed to pay in favour of cash tipping. If you dont believe me contact RCI or better still try doing it. Try reducing them for more than just one bad or alleged bad MTD meal experience!

You can of course request your pre paid be returned to you but what would your reason be other than a complaint about a specific service or incident that would be instantly rectified if reported as such and thus negate the need for gratuity removal.

Daily Auto tips for Traditional dinning can be removed or reduced at anytime during the cruise without question, you can also use OBC to pay them, they can be removed at the beginning during or at the end of the cruise for all days.

I have always liked pre paid and auto gratuities because it is a fair system but that is beside the point

Dynamic dinning is a good concept for many as is MTD but not so for others including myself but that is also beside the point.

DD has the same basic concept as MTD you choose when and where you want to dine so therefore RCI,s same reasoning for MTD requiring pre paid gratuities will eventually apply to DD.

Once DD is introduced MTD and Traditional dinning will no longer be available

so given DD is the same concept as MTD and there is no more Traditional dinning all gratuities will become pre paid for all guests:)

I dont doubt that pre paid grats can be refunded on insistent request if the customer uses paid for meal venues which also incur a gratuity above normal gratuity but the portion returned will only be that portion not utilised in the included dinning rooms.

I have spoken to many USA first time cruisers who have removed their onboard gratuities in favour of paying Zero, why? Because they believe the prices on board are way too high and much higher than they expected or believe a cruise should be treated same as other all inclusive vacations or a cruise is not the same as eating at home in a restaurant.

Its a Theory that I believe will be fact but you must come to your own conclusions:)

First of all, we are loyal Royals. However, we do not support prepaid "gratuities,"

because a gratuity is a reward given by one person/people to someone who has done something pleasing for him/her. We do still enjoy traditional dining, and never have we failed to generously reward those who have done their job well.

this is going.

Cruzin Lady

I will not slam you for any of your comments and agree with most but the fact is fact Cruise Gratuities of today are a service charge and not traditional USA style tips, this is clear in me showing Australian T&C,s of a one company cruiseline who chooses to word there T&C,s dependent on the users nationality and understanding of an identical product or service.

Huge market competition in USA would not allow gratuities to be added to the fare as in Australia because consumers would seek the cheapest first advertised alternative driving prices lower.

When is a tip not a tip? when its a cruiseline service charge;)

I don't like to sail in a cruise with gratuities paid unless it's the TA who is paying for it.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I dont blame you!

But do you have any proof that the free gratuities offered by T/A,s are actually truly paid in full and received in full by there intended recipient so negate the need to tip?

Just a question I have no idea on as T/As in my country do not offer free gratuities but can offer a lower fare than the cruise line which i am almost certain is not allowed in USA, free gratuities or OBC could just be a way of hiding the fact that cruiselines do in fact allow T/A,s to discount there own prices so give them those cabins at reduced rate in the guise of freebies paid out of the T/A,s profit?

Edited by fishtaco

this is going.

Cruzin Lady

Sorry just a simple question! I can see you prefer traditional dinning as I do but do you leave your Auto grats in place now or do you remove them in favour of cash tips?

Pre paid grats are the same as auto grats to those who leave them in place, pre paid grats are just charged a short period ahead of onboard auto grats so I am thinking daily auto grats surly must already come under your definition of an extra cruise fee/service fee just as you think pre paid grats do?:)

Sorry I didnt really answer the real question which was at the end of your post:o

I contacted RCI about pre paid gratuities for MTD so this doesnt really relate in any way to those who choose to pre pay gratuities for traditional dinning as i did not ask.

Pre paid gratuities are paid to a separate accounts department to the onboard accounts department at time of sailing so unless in direct contact with the on land accounts department guest services cannot refund pre paid gratuities for MTD onboard in "Most instances".

I take this as a No you cant get it back when on board unless there is an extreme circumstance which does not include those who just want to remove the entire amount for no valid reason.

With daily auto gratuities you can remove them without question by simply requesting the removal at any time during the cruise because those gratuities are added by the ship accounts department and not main office accounts.

In reality if you kicked up enough dust the onboard accounts would just refund them to your account to get rid of you but it wouldnt be common practice.

If you contacted RCI after the cruise to have your pre paids refunded they would be very sorry you had problems onboard but would also want to know the details or non resolution problems that made you decide to call for a refund:)

Edited by fishtaco

I do look forward to the day when gratuities is included in the price - and then you can tip people providing extraordinary services.

Well done:) Its happened in Australia so shouldnt be too long for you Danes:)

Its just so simple I just cant see why so many who already willingly pay grats in one form or another dont like the idea of it:confused:

this is going.

Cruzin Lady

Where is the like button,i agree 100%. :) Look out for the Royal cheerleaders .:D

When talking cruises, gratuities are not tips. They are a wage subsidy, plane and simple. The subsidy is required because American culture allows employers to stiff employees on their wages. Don't believe me? Then tell me why 30 years ago the generally accepted tip ratio was 10% - 12% and now it's 15% - 20% and pushing higher. Because workers are now working harder and deserve better tips, or because real wages for service staff have slid and a greater subsidy is required? (heaven knows we cannot charge customers the real cost of providing a service, they will think it's expensive and not come - lets charger a cheaper value and stiff our employees on wages to make up the loss and allow the tip culture to rectify the issue)

Once you understand this, Royals approach to gratuities becomes clear.

1. Stiff the employees by paying a low wage

2. Make gratuities compulsory to make up the difference

3. Rely on the overbearing American tip culture to guilt all pax into paying the subsidy.

So just accept it as a misnamed subsidy and let the Auto-tips ride as they really ARE required by the staff. If someone makes a WOW service, then do what that deserves and pay them a real tip (which will be in addition to the subsidy you are already paying)

Wow very nice and well put,We feel the same way.We let the auto tips stay on last cruise just didn't feel right.Have a great next cruise

I do look forward to the day when gratuities is included in the price - and then you can tip people providing extraordinary services.

When we order a cruise with RCI in Norway, we also pay the "service charge" or "tips" or what you want to name it as a part of the ticket.

I think that is OK, and so I can give additionally tips where I want to.

I dont blame you!

But do you have any proof that the free gratuities offered by T/A,s are actually truly paid in full and received in full by there intended recipient so negate the need to tip?

Just a question I have no idea on as T/As in my country do not offer free gratuities but can offer a lower fare than the cruise line which i am almost certain is not allowed in USA, free gratuities or OBC could just be a way of hiding the fact that cruiselines do in fact allow T/A,s to discount there own prices so give them those cabins at reduced rate in the guise of freebies paid out of the T/A,s profit?

I don't really have a prove but I have to believe in the system. I don't have prove that the water onboard is 100% safe to drink but I need to have hope and the list goes on and on 😜

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I dont blame you!

It says on the contract with the TA I sometimes book through that gratuities are pre-paid. When I board the ship, I am not charged an added amount for gratuities. So, yes to me that is proof that they have been paid just like paying them through the RCI website.

To share my experience:

We normally pre pay our gratuities and just made final payment for our upcoming Quantum cruise. I was surprised when I received the confirmation of payment that gratuities were not required to be pre-paid. I thought it was a requirement for DD.

Mary

Well done:) Its happened in Australia so shouldnt be too long for you Danes:)

Its just so simple I just cant see why so many who already willingly pay grats in one form or another dont like the idea of it:confused:

Hid fishtaco, I have found that having the tip automatically added to the account is a really convenient process, so I like it. And I do, usually tip a little extra in person if warranted.

But to answer your question, my theory about why so many who already willingly pay grats in one form or another dont like the idea of this: (Remember, this is just what I think will happen) It is the fear that once the tips are rolled into the price, tipping on top of that, in the current customary percentages will then be the expected thing. And I think people would be totally right to expect this to happen. I can see the policy start with a statement of "tipping included, so no additional tipping needed", but that would slowly fade away, and tipping would become expected again. Eventually paying more overall.

I understand the rationale behind prepaid gratuities for My Time Dining, as you may end up with a different wait staff every night. But what happens to the $6.80 pp/pd amount if you choose not to eat in the MDR at all during the whole cruise? Or even if you only eat there only some of the nights?

Just a suggestion of a different perspective.

Americans tip... like it or not, it's customary and so ingrained that people err on the side of tipping when they aren't sure whether or not it's expected. If they were to incorporate the 12 pp pd into the cruise fare, my guess is that several years from now, the whole tipping debate will all come up again as people revert back to cash tipping on top of this new inclusion in the cruise fare.

My reason being, I am currently booked at an all inclusive. The website and all the information that the resort gives is that your gratuities are included in the price of the room. However, once you get on the 'trip advisor' and similar websites, everyone tells you that the employees don't actually get much if any of that money and you should still tip cash when you are there.

By labeling it a "gratuity", whether you pay up front or per day as you go, you know it's there and it should be going to the people it's designated for.

I understand the rationale behind prepaid gratuities for My Time Dining, as you may end up with a different wait staff every night. But what happens to the $6.80 pp/pd amount if you choose not to eat in the MDR at all during the whole cruise? Or even if you only eat there only some of the nights?

You will be eating somewhere during the cruise, and my understanding is that the wait staff rotates throughout the cruise at both the MDR and buffet and misc venues throughout the week. By leaving the gratuities in place, you ensure that the wait staff, wherever you eat, is covered.