Pre Cruise Train Trip From London

Woobstr112G

A question for those who may have done this.

We will be sailing on the CB next September for a Iceland/Norway T/A. Prior to the cruise, I want to spend 3 or 4 (hopefully 4) nights in London. I was wondering what the feasibility would be of taking a train from London to the Normandy coast so I could tour the D-Day sites. I want to do this due to having to cancel this year's T/A where I had planned to visit Normandy.

If it is feasible, how much time would be required and what would I be looking at as far as cost for the train tickets.?

Thanks in advance for any replies.....:):):)

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

The obvious way to get to Normandy by train from London is Eurostar to Paris (2.5 hours), change stations in Paris and train out to Caen or Bayeux (2-3 hours). There are many routes involving ferries or planes as well, but the train is probably the quickest and most convenient.

If you were hoping for a day trip, it's not really feasible in my opinion. It will need at least a one-night stay. You COULD get to Normandy by about lunchtime, take a brief afternoon tour and get the last Eurostar back to London at a pinch (I haven't checked exact times), but better to travel to Normandy the day before and have most of the day for touring before heading back.

If you have a look on the Normandy Forum on Tripadvisor there is a long thread about all the combinations of how to get to Normandy on public transport. I think it gives timings. You will need to search for it.

I really don't think it would be worth doing trying to get there and back in a day. I think you need to spend at least two nights there. Of course, it also depends what you want to see.

If it is feasible, how much time would be required ...
To be realistic, it's basically going to be either/or. Either you do this visit to Normandy, or you have pre-cruise time in London. Unless you really want to push yourselves, it'll take a day to get there from London, and a day to get back, plus you need to have time to see things while you're there.

I'm inclined to agree with G, though I've thought of a bit of a way round it. Fly into Paris, train out to Normandy (say Le Havre). Stay for a couple of days then get the ferry as a foot passenger from Le Havre (or Caen or Cherbourg if it suits) to Portsmouth https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/ . Train/taxi to a hotel in Southampton (so you are ready for your ship) and visit places round the area. You could easily do one or two day trips up to London from there by train...about 90 mins if I remember. A lot to consider, but just a thought.

Simon

A question for those who may have done this.

We will be sailing on the CB next September for a Iceland/Norway T/A. Prior to the cruise, I want to spend 3 or 4 (hopefully 4) nights in London. I was wondering what the feasibility would be of taking a train from London to the Normandy coast so I could tour the D-Day sites. I want to do this due to having to cancel this year's T/A where I had planned to visit Normandy.

If it is feasible, how much time would be required and what would I be looking at as far as cost for the train tickets.?

Thanks in advance for any replies.....:):):)

Bob

Depending on where you are in London, there are cheap flights on FlyBE from SEN/London Southend to CFR/Caen which is probably the fastest way of doing it. Southend is about 30 miles south of the Harwich cruise point and 30 miles east of London itself.

Edited by scottbee

Depending on where you are in London, there are cheap flights on FlyBE from SEN/London Southend to CFR/Caen which is probably the fastest way of doing it. Southend is about 30 miles south of the Harwich cruise point and 30 miles east of London itself.

The ship is going out of Southampton Scott, not Harwich.

Simon

No good for a day trip, though - it's one flight a day, four days a week at the moment. But certainly another option if taking a couple of days (although the flight times aren't ideal - you'd get most of the the afternoon of day 1 and the morning of day 2 on a two day trip).