Best place to get Euro's

cindygad

We leave for Barcelona in 3 weeks then a cruise 4 days later. What do the experienced Europe travelers do. It is our first Med cruise. We looked into getting them before we go We will need quite a bit because 3 of the RILO tours take Euro for payment. My concern is what to do with it while in Barcelona. I realize we will keep it in safe there but I have read crazy reviews where money has been taken even from safes.Do you use ATM's? How is the ships conversion rate?

ATM's are typically the best and most convenient choice. Know your own bank's rules--my credit union doesn't charge foreign ATM transaction fees, but does have a 1% currency conversion fee.

I have read many times that european ATM's are not allowed to charge fees, but this was not my experience. Some did, and some did not.

Just returned from the Med and stayed in Barcelona - ATM was so easy until one day - no longer was able to access. Had forgotten to call the bank (ATM) and alert them that I would be out of the country. Yes they called the house to inquire- not there so that was no help. Interesting because I had gotten a letter from the bank before I left just a general reminder that no longer do you have to call with a travel alert - evidently that only applied to credit card and not ATM - I had purchased money before I left but the exchange rate was better with the ATM and also a credit card that does not charge a foreign transaction fee.

We did leave money in our safe in Barcelona and yes you do have to watch for pickpockets (as everywhere) but as long as you remain diligent with your personal belongings - fantastic city - Enjoy

Just returned from the Med and stayed in Barcelona - ATM was so easy until one day - no longer was able to access. Had forgotten to call the bank (ATM) and alert them that I would be out of the country. Yes they called the house to inquire- not there so that was no help. Interesting because I had gotten a letter from the bank before I left just a general reminder that no longer do you have to call with a travel alert - evidently that only applied to credit card and not ATM - I had purchased money before I left but the exchange rate was better with the ATM and also a credit card that does not charge a foreign transaction fee.

We did leave money in our safe in Barcelona and yes you do have to watch for pickpockets (as everywhere) but as long as you remain diligent with your personal belongings - fantastic city - Enjoy

Thank you, is there a daily limit? Is it he same 4 number pin that you use in the states?

Yes, ATM's give great exchange rates. It is usually the interbank exchange rate. Make sure your bank does not charge a fee for use of a foreign bank ATM. Your daily limit is set by your bank on your account. You would need to verify with them what your daily limit is. Yes, you use your same PIN that you use at home.

We also use a Capital One charge card as they give great rates also, and do not charge a foreign transaction fee.

Enjoy, Barcelona is a GREAT City

Edited by Phxazzcruisers

Daily limit would a policy of your bank; check with them.

And yes, it's the same PIN as you use in the states.

Just make sure you let your bank know when and where you're going! And make sure you know what (if any) fees and charges they have for foreign transactions. I keep a small money market account at Capital One Bank because of the lack of fees; I also like the idea that it's not the account my direct deposit, direct mortgage payment, etc are linked to. That way if something goes awry and the Cap One account gets hacked, they only have access to a small amount of my money and I don't have to deal with changing all those automatic transactions to a new account.

Thank you, is there a daily limit? Is it he same 4 number pin that you use in the states?

It has to be a 4 digit pin. Have heard that there is a limit but do not know what it is. Check with your bank because it probably is the limit they put on.

Be careful that you are using a bank ATM. Just like the US, some of the ATM's are private and charge more per transaction...others are set up by companies that convert money as a business (and they charge their normal rates rather than bank rates to do the conversion.

Find an ATM associated with a large local bank and you should be OK.

General traveler's note....if someone who you don't know offers to help you with your ATM transaction walk away quickly and don't withdraw any money from that ATM or with that individual.

I keep a small money market account at Capital One Bank because of the lack of fees; I also like the idea that it's not the account my direct deposit, direct mortgage payment, etc are linked to. That way if something goes awry and the Cap One account gets hacked, they only have access to a small amount of my money and I don't have to deal with changing all those automatic transactions to a new account.

Excellent advice...we also have a "travel credit card" that reimburses ATM fees and travel bank account.

Local ATM use seems to be the favored suggestion here on Cruise Critic but I do it differently.

I get the minimum amount of Euros that I know I'll need from our local bank before leaving home and then only use ATMs if I need extra towards the latter part of our trip. I find this the most convenient and I've run into problems a couple times using ATM machines in Europe. In between daily limits, communications problems and other issues I don't want to worry about getting enough Euros from ATM's nor having to plan parts of my days around getting to an ATM. Yes they are plentiful but they are not always right where you need them at the most convenient time.

When traveling we carry the extra cash in a hidden money belt type pocket worn under our clothing - along with backup credit cards and other items we won't need immediately. As we travel around a pre-cruise town we'll either carry the items, use the hotel safe or if we're really worried about the in-room safe use the safe deposit boxes in the hotel office (most hotels have these).

Local ATM use seems to be the favored suggestion here on Cruise Critic but I do it differently.

I get the minimum amount of Euros that I know I'll need from our local bank before leaving home and then only use ATMs if I need extra towards the latter part of our trip. I find this the most convenient and I've run into problems a couple times using ATM machines in Europe. In between daily limits, communications problems and other issues I don't want to worry about getting enough Euros from ATM's nor having to plan parts of my days around getting to an ATM. Yes they are plentiful but they are not always right where you need them at the most convenient time.

When traveling we carry the extra cash in a hidden money belt type pocket worn under our clothing - along with backup credit cards and other items we won't need immediately. As we travel around a pre-cruise town we'll either carry the items, use the hotel safe or if we're really worried about the in-room safe use the safe deposit boxes in the hotel office (most hotels have these).

Thank lots of helpful information .

Daily limits can be a bit frustrating. While you may have a relatively high limit with your ATM bank, that limit may be further limited by the European ATM system...depending on your location and specific ATM machine. Plan on a limit as low as 200 Euros per day..and hope for a higher limit. Over many years (and lots of trip) our maximum has ranged from 200-300 Euros per day (our personal bank limit is much higher).

As to the poster that likes to carry cash, that does not work for us. We are often in Europe for a month or longer and would have to carry an awful lot of cash...often in several different currencies. Using ATMs serves us well all over the world. In fact, for the sake of security and back-up we carry three different ATM cards, drawn on accounts in three different banks. And 2 of those cards charge zero fees (other then the standard 1 % interbank charge added to the exchange rate).

We also have several different credit cards, 2 of which charge zero foreign transaction fees.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I have a dedicated Schwab account that has no foreign transaction fees and refunds all costs associated with ATM withdrawals. I travel internationally often and have never had an issue using it. It works like a charm and you don't have to hunt for a specific bank or ATM card affiliated machine.

I used my credit card (with pin) at ATM's in Barcelona last May. I felt the protection offered by the credit card was worth the small interest I had to pay when I got home to pay off the credit card bill. Debit cards do not offer the same protections as credit cards.

Barcelona is a beautiful city!

I have a dedicated Schwab account that has no foreign transaction fees and refunds all costs associated with ATM withdrawals. I travel internationally often and have never had an issue using it. It works like a charm and you don't have to hunt for a specific bank or ATM card affiliated machine.

We do, too. Our Schwab savings account has about $5 in it, and I add a deposit just before we leave. You can use virtually any ATM anywhere in the world, and not worry about fees. I just make sure I add some extra to cover the fees for the short time until the back statement is issued and they are refunded. When I get home, I withdraw all but $5 and leave it until the next trip.

We've been doing this for several years.