Mexican Riveria

cruisearama

We did a 10 day out of San Francisco that went as far south as Ixtapa.

Princess says it is keeping an eye on the situation and will let us know what the itinerary will be for our October 1 cruise on the Star out of San Francisco.

My instincts are we will know nothing until we board. We are preparing ourselves for riding up and down the coast of California. :D

I wish we could do something to help the folks struggling in the Baja Peninsula. The last thing they need now are tourists.

Cheers, Denise

Edited by dchip

Actually the tourist dollars are probably the best thing for them....

WE are going on Oct 20th and I certainly hope we make all the ports so we can help those poor people survive...

eclue:rolleyes:

Your cruise is 3 weeks after ours. Hopefully, they will be ready for tourists. Right now only 30% of the people have power. There is no place to spend the money.

Cheers, Denise

We are sailing to Mexico but not till the beginning of Nov. I agree I don't think much will be known till closer to the date or not until we get on.

I wouldn't be surprised if they skip a port or offer a longer stay at a different port.

I too want to spend my dollars locally.

Vickie

We went on this route a few years ago when the area was scheduled/anticipated to get hit by a hurricane. We spent six days at sea and got about 3 hours in Ensenada before heading back to San Pedro. The ship ran out of a lot of stuff - milk, and horror of horrors, several kinds of beer! They didn't even have any shore excursions planned in Ensenada since it wasn't a scheduled stop. It was the worse cruise we've been on but it was still better than work -

Apparently Coral Princess will skip Cabo in favor of Puerto Vallarta on her repositioning cruise...

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5987

Thanks, Rick. Our cruise on October 1, is scheduled for Puerto Vallarta. Hopefully we will spend a couple of days there!

We went on this route a few years ago when the area was scheduled/anticipated to get hit by a hurricane. We spent six days at sea and got about 3 hours in Ensenada before heading back to San Pedro. The ship ran out of a lot of stuff - milk, and horror of horrors, several kinds of beer! They didn't even have any shore excursions planned in Ensenada since it wasn't a scheduled stop. It was the worse cruise we've been on but it was still better than work -

YIKES.

Cheers, Denise

Edited by dchip
Auto correct

I have to agree with you.:D

Did you ever go to investigate the original Hussong's Cantina while there? I was only there once (so far) but didn't even know Hussong's was there. Of course it's not a fancy place - sounds like a bit of a dive actually - but there's a lot of history there. :)

(Hussong's in Las Vegas is a much more upscale place but I think I'd rather check out the one in Ensenada.)

Did you ever go to investigate the original Hussong's Cantina while there? I was only there once (so far) but didn't even know Hussong's was there. Of course it's not a fancy place - sounds like a bit of a dive actually - but there's a lot of history there. :)

(Hussong's in Las Vegas is a much more upscale place but I think I'd rather check out the one in Ensenada.)

Yes. Sort of a dump, imho. We enjoy Mexico usually going to Puerto Penasco or Several stops on the Yucatan coast. Except Cancun. We try to avoid that place except the airport.:eek::D

Hussongs is across the street from Papas and Beer and is, was, a dump last time I was there. Last cruise on the Sapphire we stayed on board. Port has changed and been upgraded, but same ole Enshi*nada.

I crewed a few boats from LA to the "90 day yacht club" before Aaaarnold changed the CA tax laws. Used tobe you could take delivery of a boat in international waters and then get it out of the US for 90 days and beat the leisure tax. He changed that to 365.

We always liked to be there when a Carnival ship was in town as the Papas and Beer wet T-Shirt contest always got out o hand.

Besides that and the flea market, really has fleas, at El Buffadora ( blow Hole, we have a better one here on Oahu )not much else to do.

Oh yeah, you can stock up on chiclets.

Just my opinion and reflections.

On Oct 20 Sea of Cortez sailing and If not Cabo, then Ixtpapa or Manzinillo would be great.I wouldn't book a cruise with an overnight port stay and would hope this doesn't happen on this one. Even just cruising the Sea of Cortez and viewing the Sierra De La Giganta Mtns would be nice. We did this on a HAL cruise.

We would be thrilled with Ixtapa or Manzanillo!! We were on a MR cruise when Ixtapa was canceled would love to finally go there. We will be happy with anything as long as we go to Mexico!

Cheers, Denise.

Edited by dchip

You know, every time we've been to Ensenada (3 times in the last year), we've taken the Princess Two Winery tour. It's cheap and a nice way to spend the day. We come home with some very nice inexpensive wines and a bottle or two of very good olive oil. From that perspective, I have zero problem with Ensenada... :)

I have no problem with Ensenada, just been their a bunch of times and just about exhausted all the offerings. Last time, we were on a Carnival cruise and went horseback riding - that was great and something we hadn't done in a long time. I've been to several blow holes in my travels and Ensenada's is the best one I've seen. Also on Carnival, there's a kayak by the blowhole excursion I'd like to take.

I must say I am disappointed with Princess' shore excursion offerings with this port - there are a lot more things to do that I would rather do through the ship. Carnival has lots of offerings - not sure why Princess is so limited. We enjoyed bike riding, an ATV adventure, there's a good zip line course, many more things to do than the 3 to 4 Princess always has.

There is an art shop we really like on the main drag - the guy's a welder and does some nice stuff. Wish I could remember the name of the place - he has a spiral staircase up to the top floor and we usually buy something. We'll also get some variety of tequila you can't find in the US and if I need, vanilla.