Delta changed my flight- can I make this?

Jessie2013

Are you talking Port Everglades to FLL airport? If so, yes you can do it. I would suggest trying to be in one of the earlier disembarkation groups, but I don't think you would have to do the self disembarkation.

The airport and port are only about 10 minutes apart. Taxis are cheap and there will be lots available.

Sorry- critical piece of info missing!

Ship is at Port Canaveral & we're flying out of MCO (Orlando). Thank you!

You are 45min-1hr away from the airport.....

IF the ship is not delayed getting back and IF you are one of the first off the ship and IF you already have your return shuttle lined up you should be okay. Do not take a cab as it will cost you $$$.......

I would contact Travelynx, Cocoa Beach Shuttle or Executive VIP Limo and see what you can work out.

We will be disembarking off the RCCL Freedom of the Seas on December 21 of this year. Delta changed our flight to an earlier time, departing at 11:34 a.m.

Is this a reasonable time to be able to make it to the airport? Thanks!

Sounds like you are cutting it a bit too close (at least for me). Did you contact Delta and see if they can offer you a later flight? It these situations they normally are very willing to work with you, as they caused the problem.

DaveOKC

Did you book directly with Delta or a third party site? That will make a big difference in getting your flight changed. However, I've made flights as early as 10:30 after getting off of a cruise. You have to be one of the first to exit the boat. Also, take a cab directly to the airport and be prepared to run. Some unforeseen things that could hold you up are customs, and traffic.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

How are you planning to get to MCO?

I don't know. Someone here said don't take a cab....someone else (below) said to take a cab....

We'll be in the Disney area before the cruise so we'll have a rental car & will drive ourselves on the way there. Hadn't figured out the plans on the way back yet.

Did you book directly with Delta or a third party site? That will make a big difference in getting your flight changed. However, I've made flights as early as 10:30 after getting off of a cruise. You have to be one of the first to exit the boat. Also, take a cab directly to the airport and be prepared to run. Some unforeseen things that could hold you up are customs, and traffic.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I booked directly with Delta, but the next available flight is 2:00 p.m. It seems like a long time to wait (with a young child & two elderly inlaws) for a flight when we can't go anywhere....

Hey Jessie.....I am the one who said do not take a taxi because it will cost a lot since the airport is 45min to 1 hr away.

There are much cheaper options......Just pre-book a shuttle and be one of the first off the ship and you should be fine.

Best of luck.......I hope you have a wonderful cruise!!!

I booked directly with Delta, but the next available flight is 2:00 p.m. It seems like a long time to wait (with a young child & two elderly inlaws) for a flight when we can't go anywhere....

Personally I would take my time getting off the ship, and have a leisurely drive to the airport rather than rushing and worrying about making a close flight (I have done this and it is no fun - it puts a nice cruise vacation to a harried end IMO).

My elderly inlaws would be much happier taking our time and having lunch somewhere than being rushed back to Orlando.

I'd rent a car, stop somewhere for lunch, and leisurely make my way to the airport or eat in the airport. MCO is huge.

My elderly inlaws would be much happier taking our time and having lunch somewhere than being rushed back to Orlando.

I'd rent a car, stop somewhere for lunch, and leisurely make my way to the airport or eat in the airport. MCO is huge.

This sounds like the best plan!!!!!

not a bad plan

but to ensure you have the right data

(yes I AM talking about Port Canaveral)

a taxi will cost around $100 plus tip per vehicle

(many balk at the $100 minimum here, but fail to recognize that it is a 45 mile ride)

a shuttle will charge around $35 per person

(do the math .... 3 people in a shuttle vs a taxi)

Doesn't sound like too long of a time at all to me.

Get off ship as late as possible (taking your time, relaxing a bit). Get whatever transport option you are taking. Don't worry about fog on the road (something we dealt with last early February where it was just pea soup all over 528!) or the speed that you're getting there. If you're driving yourself, stop and get food somewhere. If not, get to the airport. Relax.

2pm flight means that for me, if flying domestically, I'm walking in the doors of the airport by noon. If traveling with littles and older parent types, I'm going earlier. You'll have time to walk leisurely, let the child run around a bit in the central area before security. Do a little gift shop shopping at the Seaworld, Disney, and even Universal stores if you'd like. Go through security without a care in the world of how long it might take. Check out the shopping after security, too. Have some food.

Man, that sounds like heaven to me! So much better than rush rush rush.

I don't know. Someone here said don't take a cab....someone else (below) said to take a cab....

We'll be in the Disney area before the cruise so we'll have a rental car & will drive ourselves on the way there. Hadn't figured out the plans on the way back yet.

We have taken a 11:15am flight with no issues but not with a young child or elderly inlaws. We had a private towncar waiting for us and we were in the car and on the road before 8am. We had bags checked in and were in a huge TSA security line by 9.

I don't think I would try it though with your group, especially the weekend before Christmas. If you don't make your flight, I think you will have a very hard time finding 4 seats on the same flight at a time when many people are traveling for the holidays.

Please be aware of the long lines you will hit at the airport if you try to make that time. Consider checking in at a skycap to bypass at least the boarding/checkin line. At Orlando, that alone can save you 45 minutes.

From experience, we missed our flight when we arrived at the airport 2 HOURS before flight time and they at least told us upfront there was no way we would make it...and they were right. The boarding line, not the ticketing line, was running over an hour and security line was backed up through the atrium. I haven't seen it that bad since, but we not longer mess around with tight timelines in Orlando!

Sorry- critical piece of info missing!

Ship is at Port Canaveral & we're flying out of MCO (Orlando). Thank you!

I wouldn't chance it. I would go for the 2 pm flight. I would be way to stressed. I had an 11:15 flight a few weeks ago coming from Universal and it took around an hour just to get through security.

If you take the 2 pm flight you can lag and not rush off the ship.

I called Delta yesterday and changed my flight because my TA thought an incoming flight at 1:00 would be okay to get from FLL to POM for a 4:00 departure. They were very understanding and waived the change fee (of $200 per ticket)! I was very impressed. I would definitely suggest taking the 2:00 flight out. My flight for our upcoming cruise is scheduled for almost 5:00 and I'm totally okay with taking my time.

• 2 weeks later...

We had a Disney cruise last year and my flight was about 11, I had called the cruise line and they said that although they don't recommend it, I could probably make it if we were first off and be able to take the cruise line bus back. We brought carry-ons only to avoid having to check-in luggage which helped a lot.

Problem is when we got on the ship they are suddenly telling us there is no way we'd make our flight. I got upset and started to make calls to even try to hire a car to pick us up before we left port and I couldn't use my cell phone. Then talked to a supervisor at the customer service desk that said no, I would make it assuming we got to port as planned.

We got up bright and early and were one of the first people off, however, you have to wait for the bus to fill. The entire time I am stressed and freaking out... all in all we did get to the airport on time (with time to spare) but it wasn't worth the stress!