HAL Mariner status and other CCL lines

DaveOKC

It is only the last five or so years since start of the Star Mariner Program that HAL offered the benefits that now exist for High Star Mariners. Before that, there was a reception of one sort of another as that has evolved through the years and the Medallion were (and still are) presented.

Just booked our second ever RCI cruise..last one was 1998.

We were very surprised to find that our Celebrity status carried over to RCI.

Apparently we will each have three drinks per day loaded onto our key cards. They can be used in any bar from )5pm to 8 pm or whatever the Diamond club hours happen to be on the ship.

Sure wish we could do the same on the numerous Carnival Corp. brands.

I don't think we will ever see Carnival Corporation brands give any free drinks each day during a certain time.

Did someone mean that as a Mariner, you would be invited to events on other Carnival lines? I know there is not reciprocity as there is between the RCCL companies. I think it would be a good business model to adopt that reciprocity. It would make me more likely to try one of the other lines. Although I do not sail the RCCL companies very often, I was pleased that all our days were considered when they reworked the Captain's Club on Celebrity. I do have to say that the Mariner program needs improvement. The laundry benefit at 200 is great as are some of the 500 day perks, but the rest of the "benefits" don't amount to much.

The only perks HAL give to new comers if they have sailed on other Carnival corporation brands is the embarkation day lunch in the main dining room, an invite to the Mariners brunch and a tile.

But when HAL passengers go to one of the other Carnival brands for the first time -- nothing.

We have not received credits of any kind for the four Carnival cruises we have taken. I asked Hal if there was any and they said no. We would be at the four star level for sure if would have given us the twenty days we have cruised on Carnival ships.

If HAL would count the days we sailed on Cunard and Princess, the actual sailing days we would have would be over 1100 days.

If HAL would count the days we sailed on Cunard and Princess, the actual sailing days we would have would be over 1100 days.

If they included days we sailed on Princess, I likely would have about another 90 or so days. I've forgotten now how many days as it's been years since we cruised them. We also had one cruise (sort of) on Carnival. :D

If they included days we sailed on Princess, I likely would have about another 90 or so days. I've forgotten now how many days as it's been years since we cruised them. We also had one cruise (sort of) on Carnival. :D

"Sort of?"

Story time!

Certainly not "worse", but sometimes I wonder about the "better".

I was already 4* when the new program started, and was already 5* when it was expanded.

I tend to be friendly, smiling, and pleasant and I never know if it is just my "way" that the staff/crew respond to, or if it's my Mariner status. I do know that I am treated very well on board, but I felt that I was treated well before the star program, too.

I just don't know how much the 5* comes into play.

I don't know how much the 4*comes into play either. Treating the crew and stewards with courtesy and respect works big time.

We have been invited to the Mariners lunch but don't bother.

As DW said.... wait a minute, they are inviting us to a special lunch that we have already paid for? Is the quality of the wine really that great to make us want to attend. Nope.

We achieved 3 star Mariner Status after 10 cruises with HAL. The only thing we ever use out of about 15 items would be 25% off specialty dining and wine packages. Hardly worth taking 10 cruises. Will be taking a 5th on Princess, and they give you 150 minutes of internet after just 6 cruises. I think cruising to get Mariner status is a waste. Thoughts.

[quote name='boards']6 cruises - how many total days did you cruise? Did extra expense help you too?[/QUOTE]

You get the internet minutes after 5 cruises, so on the 6th cruise, you've got free internet. We will have sailed 47 days to get to that, with extra spending not a factor.

On Azamara, you get 85 free minutes on your 2nd cruise. (And before you say, "Well, it's more expensive to begin with" it's not so bad for a solo--I got great prices on my two cruises because they charge only 125% for solos on most itineraries.)

I know this was already answered but here was the response I received when I inquired to whether my past cruises on other "sister" companies ships transfered.

"" Dear Mr. Costa,
Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line. We look forward to welcoming you onboard the ms Nieuw Amsterdam November 9, 2014.

Holland America Line is part of the World’s Leading Cruise Line Alliance which includes Carnival Cruise Lines, Costa Cruises, Cunard Line, Princess Cruises and Seabourn Cruise Line.

Holland America Line opperates independently of the sister brands. We are responsible for our own brand, financial success, and customer retention. Our CEO does report to the CFO of Carnival Corporation like all the others. As sister brands, we do work cooperatively on many things operational and best practices. But Holland America Line is still responsible for being successful as an independent company.

That being said, if you have sailed on one of our sister lines you are automatically enrolled in the Vacation Interchange Program, VIP. This means you have receivd 1-Star status on your upcoming voyage with us, even though your cruise history will show with zero days. Once you reach 30 cruise day credits you will become a Two-Star Mariner.

Days onboard our sister lines cannot be added to your Holland America Line cruise history.

One Star Mariner:
Every guest that joins us for any Holland America Line cruise returns as a Star Mariner. It’s our way of saying Welcome Back, and you’ll start feeling the special treatment as soon as you come aboard. Star Mariners receive:
• Welcome back embarkation lunch in the main dining room between 12-1:30pm
• A delft tile is given to each returning Mariner during the Mariner Champagne Brunch. Those who do not attend can collect their delft tile at the Front Desk onboard.
• e-version of Mariner magazine
• Invitations to special sailings hosted by a representative of the Mariner Society
• Special offers on select sailings
• A 50% cruise fare discount on the 3rd/4th guest staying in your stateroom on select sailings

For more information on the World’s Leading Cruise Line alliances please log on to [url]www.worldsleadingcruiselines.com[/url] .

For more information on the Mariner Society rewards program please go to [url]www.hollandamerica.com[/url] and click on the Mariner Society tab on the blue band at the bottom of the page.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance. Holland America Line looks forward to welcoming you onboard in November.

Kind Regards,

Lisa Marie
Mariner Society
Holland America Line""

[quote name='iancal']Agree...the Mariner status perks are a bit of a joke compared to what other lines appear to offer.

I suspect they are a result of HALs high loyalty/repeat rates.[/quote]
I'd guess that as well; I haven't looked at Cunard but they might be in a similar boat. Although with only three ships it's harder to have as many high-level repeaters due to sheer scale.

It'd be interesting to see a breakdown of a yearly percent of first time vs. repeat cruisers on the major lines.

[quote name='sppunk']I'd guess that as well; I haven't looked at Cunard but they might be in a similar boat. Although with only three ships it's harder to have as many high-level repeaters due to sheer scale.

It'd be interesting to see a breakdown of a yearly percent of first time vs. repeat cruisers on the major lines.[/quote]

That would be interesting to see. I'm thinking HAL has a high percentage, especially on longer itineraries. Some years ago our captain on the Veendam told us he had an Amazon cruise where everyone onboard except six people were Mariners. Said he invited those six to the reception as everyone else was coming!

[quote name='Krazy Kruizers'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5]The only perks HAL give to new comers if they have sailed on other Carnival corporation brands is the embarkation day lunch in the main dining room, an invite to the Mariners brunch and a tile.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5]But when HAL passengers go to one of the other Carnival brands for the first time -- nothing.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. I'm considering a first Carnival cruise as it leaves locally and now know not to expect any perks.
If HAL recognizes the others, one would think they'd do the same.

[quote name='boards']6 cruises - how many total days did you cruise? Did extra expense help you too?[/QUOTE]
The free Internet on Princess comes into play after 5 cruises or 50 sailing days, whichever comes first ... sailing solo doubles the number of cruises credited, as does sailing in a full suite ... no credits for spending.