Tuxedos

AACJ

I am interested in purchasing a tuxedo, mainly to be used for cruises. What is your preference in lapels, a peaked lapel or a shawl collar and why? Also, single breast or double breast with each lapel choice? This gives me 4 potential options and I don't know where to start.

roderick_charles_nov_2010_edit_small.jpg

Single breast with peaked lapel

brigdens_vitale_barberis_wool_with_mohair_sweetened_small.jpg

Single breast with shawl collar

pakeman_co_uk_DBPL_14oz_barathea_ribbedfacing_small.jpg

Double breast with peak lapel

omtailors_com_2008_small.jpg

Double breast with shawl collar

Edited by AACJ

Start by trying the various styles on to see which looks best on you. A lot will depend on your body shape.

I agree. Double breasted jackets work better on some body types than others. My personal preference is the shawl collar. The shawl collar seems more timeless (and I expect you want to wear this tux for many years) as lapels change frequently.

BTW, thanks for choosing to make the effort to look great in a tux on formal nights!

Edited by Scrapnana

I agree to try on several styles, but my DH bought a shawl collar tux because it seemed more timeless. Lapel width does change over time, but a shawl collar is always good.

I think the double-breasted style only looks good on tall, slim builds since that's a lot of fabric in the front. Also, double-breasted ones only look good buttoned; when you want to be a little relaxed with an unbuttoned coat (or it gets warm), you still look good in a regular tux.

All men in tuxedos look great! Good for you.

Margee

I am a 40-year old woman and I like the single-breast peaked lapel. I picture the double breasted on a heavier and older man and think it looks old fashioned. Since it is a formal suit I like the peaked lapel and it looks clean, sharp, and formal. I think the peaked lapel is more timeless and classic. I don't like the shawl collar at all.

I just did a google search for Brad Pitt Tuxedo and the majority were peaked lapel and looks great on him. The few shawl collar I don't think look good on him at all. It doesn't give that same formal, clean, classic look.

Edited by angelndscz

Good point about lapels changing and the shawl collar stays the same. However, I'm such a traditionalist, that my vote is for the single breasted notched collar.

IMO, George Clooney and Sean Connery are the quintessential tuxedo men. A few shawl collars but the majority are notched.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=george+clooney+tuxedo+pictures&qpvt=george+clooney+tuxedo+pictures&FORM=IGRE

Go to someplace like Men's Wearhouse. DH bought his tux there for under $100 (shawl collar). They're on sale right now as wedding & prom season are slowing down.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not trying to discourage you but do consider ....

Make sure you really want a tuxedo and will be wearing it other than for cruises. Fewer and fewer men are wearing them on cruise ships now.

If DH didn't sometimes need it at home, he would not buy one just for cruising and will not be taking his tux with him on our next cruise.

LuLu

We cruise longer cruises, and not in the summer to the Caribbean. On Royal Caribbean and Celebrity, there are lots and lots of tuxedos and long gowns. I agree the quickie, short cruises to Mexico and Caribbean ports do not seem to attract people wanting to dress formally. I think it depends on the cruise you choose whether there will be lots of formal wear.

My DH and I love to dress formally. We take his tux, but not a suit. He wears the tux on formal night, and dresses casually on the other nights. We have no problem with packing or luggage restrictions.

Margee

Not discouraging at all. I am actually buying it for cruising only, unless something else comes up. But with less men wearing them, even better. Me and the other gentlemen wearing tuxedos will look that much better...

In the late 90's, early 2000's, I originally owned a tuxedo, let me rephrase, I was given my fathers old tuxedo. It was from the 70's and 80's. It was a classical shawl collar. I wore it until I out grew it (and it could not be let out any further), eventually selling it. On two cruises, I rented tuxedos and really enjoyed them, so did my wife. On all of the other cruises where I only wore a suit, I regretted not renting one or buying one outright.

Now that I am taking a Holland America cruise in November, I would think there would be more gentlemen wearing tuxedos on this cruise than any other I had taken.

Not trying to discourage you but do consider ....

Make sure you really want a tuxedo and will be wearing it other than for cruises. Fewer and fewer men are wearing them on cruise ships now.

If DH didn't sometimes need it at home, he would not buy one just for cruising and will not be taking his tux with him on our next cruise.

LuLu

I agree with the single breasted shawl being timeless. I do see a lot of the peaked collars, but then that may also be a good reason to go with a shawl.

As far as double breasted, I am tall, 6', but not thin or slim. Not heavy either, just not slim.

I agree to try on several styles, but my DH bought a shawl collar tux because it seemed more timeless. Lapel width does change over time, but a shawl collar is always good.

I think the double-breasted style only looks good on tall, slim builds since that's a lot of fabric in the front. Also, double-breasted ones only look good buttoned; when you want to be a little relaxed with an unbuttoned coat (or it gets warm), you still look good in a regular tux.

All men in tuxedos look great! Good for you.

Margee

Here is a picture of a picture (sorry for the quality) of my wife and I on Celebrity a few years ago. I rented this tuxedo, it was a single breast peak lapel.

I think if I could find a good deal on both peak and shawl lapel coats, I could have two tuxedos in one, just utilizing the same pants. Don't know that anyone but my wife or I would notice though.

8a41373f46e57ea1f54367a896789501.jpg

I have been looking at places that sell vintage clothing in my area and quite a few have tuxedos in very good condition. Some don't look like they have even been worn before, a few were in terrible condition though.

I ended up purchasing a single breast shawl tuxedo with black loafer tuxedo shoes. Loafers are actually a classic tuxedo shoe as opposed to the patent leather shiny shoes.

I also bought a self tie bow tie as opposed to using the clip tie that comes with the tuxedo. The good thing is they are inexpensive, and I can buy other colors to mix it up.

I should be able to post pictures once it comes back from having alterations.

I ended up purchasing a single breast shawl tuxedo with black loafer tuxedo shoes. Loafers are actually a classic tuxedo shoe as opposed to the patent leather shiny shoes.

I also bought a self tie bow tie as opposed to using the clip tie that comes with the tuxedo. The good thing is they are inexpensive, and I can buy other colors to mix it up.

I should be able to post pictures once it comes back from having alterations.

I am curious as to where you bought your tux. DH is willing to wear a tux on cruises, and if we could find one at a good price, we would buy one.

I bought it on ebay as a package, with trousers, coat, cumberbun, and bow tie. He even tossed in 4 different colored ties as a freebie. It was 79.00 for the package, I just need to get to a tailor to hem the pants and any other minor adjustments. The coat came from a rental company and is in excellent shape, everything else is new. Just get his measurements and the seller can size it appropriately.

The sellers name on ebay is theformalshop. I did need to buy the shirt but he had new ones relatively inexpensive, and he included it in with the tuxedo...free shipping too!

I bought it on ebay as a package, with trousers, coat, cumberbun, and bow tie. He even tossed in 4 different colored ties as a freebie. It was 79.00 for the package, I just need to get to a tailor to hem the pants and any other minor adjustments. The coat came from a rental company and is in excellent shape, everything else is new. Just get his measurements and the seller can size it appropriately.

The sellers name on ebay is theformalshop. I did need to buy the shirt but he had new ones relatively inexpensive, and he included it in with the tuxedo...free shipping too!

Thank you! I will check it out!

It is my pleasure. My main concern was that the coat would have holes in the lapel from pins holding a boutonniere. I looked as hard as I could and found absolutely nothing wrong with it!

If you do buy from them, please let them know I referred you. I also want to point out I have no affiliation with them either, I am just a very happy customer.

I also purchased a pair of loafers too, from another seller. The vamp (the area just above the sole of the shoe) is a patent leather, but the upper part of the shoe is satin to give it a soft feel (both to the eyes and the foot). Looks similar to a classic tuxedo loafer but has a touch of contemporary to it.

Thank you! I will check it out!