Have you ever had anything stolen from a Caribbean Port Beach?

tbmrt

I know that it's best to carry my ship card, a credit card and a small amount of cash in a waterproof case on my body when snorkeling or taking a walk, but I still worry about leaving my sneakers, coverups, beachbag, etc. on the beach.

Have you ever had anything stolen? Can't imagine taking a taxi back to ship barefoot and in a swimsuit!

No, we haven't. We have one designated person in our group who's eyes are on our stuff at all times. We just returned from a Caribbean cruise and the water was so warm we stayed in as long as possible, but we never lost sight of our stuff. Not to say someone couldn't have just taken it anyway, though. My biggest concern would be credit card and camera, cell phone (I usually leave it locked up in the safe). No doubt it's a risk.

No one is going to steal your worn sneakers or t shirt. But that being said, don't bring onshore anything you can't stand to be without. This is why I like snorkeling excursions from a boat. You bring your stuff on the boat with you. If it's gone, there's only a few people to ask where it went.

Otherwise go to beaches that have lockers, or take turns going in the water. Then there are bags with chains/lock built in. KYSS bag comes to mind. Or you can bring a cheap cable lock and lock your bag to a tree if you're really nervous. LOL I'm just kidding. They'll just cut the cable. ;)

No

We always make certain that we have others to go with to the beaches, etc.

That way one of the group is always with everything left on the beach. And we take turns watching all our possessions.

A few years ago we wear staying at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel and were having cocktails out on the open bar by the beach. All of sudden we heard a young girl screaming for someone to catch that man as he had just stolen her back pack. He wasn't caught while we stayed there for a couple of weeks. But we did learn that he pushed a baby stroller and grabbed whatever he could.

I am going to try a Kyss (Keep Your Stuff Safe) bag this time. It is a tote bag with a chain that you can lock to a lounger, tree, fence or whatever. The zipper locks too. While I may not keep my cards and cash in it, I think it will be fine for other articles such as clothes, shoes, suntan lotion, sunglasses, etc. Can someone cut the bag...yes but I think they would look for easier "prey".

www.kyssbags.com

No one wants your ratty tee shirt or flip flops...don't wear "designer" clothes to the beach. I always stay within eyesight of my stuff...so don't go for a walk and leave your things alone. Caribbean beaches are very narrow, so you can be IN the water, and still see your stuff.

I was shocked that no one walked away with my dress and towel at Turk & Caicos - It was also the 1st time I've felt safe ever on a beach. Of course, I keep my wallet and cell phone in a waterproof bag attached to my hip but still it was nice and heartwarming to see no one walking away with my stuff from the lounge chair in front of the bar like that. Kinda restore my faith in humanity a little that afternoon.

I've never had anything stolen on a beach--I don't leave valuables there; I don't know why anyone would want my flip-flops or cover-up or book but I guess it could happen.

My husband doesn't always swim, but if he does we just keep a casual eye on our stuff, from the water--or not, often enough.

He worries mostly about someone stealing the cruise ship towel that would have to be paid for; he was a basket case when we took 7 grandkids on a cruise, trying to keep track of all their towels. Just kidding, but he did keep a tally on them. (We didn't lose any.)

No, never had a problem at all. Even when leaving the chairs and swimming. Of course, I always bring the loudest, most violently colored bag I have to the beach. If some jerk is going to run off with my stuff, he's going to be carrying a huge lime-green or giant pink-flowered tote bag. Pretty identifiable. And something only a stupid tourist would carry, not a local guy.

I never leave anything valuable on the beach. I keep my cash and cruise card and charge card in a zippered or Velcro pocket of my swimsuit. I only take my waterproof camera to the beach, so it goes in the water with me. About all we leave on the beach while we're in the water is our shoes, T-shirts, suntan lotion, magazines, water bottles, and towels. We also left our snorkels and masks in August since the beach we went to did not have good snorkeling.

It seems logical that a thief would pick up the entire bag and walk off with it to a more secluded location. Anything you can do to secure the bag and make it difficult to open or walk off with it would be helpful. I do my best to watch from the water - I will tie or secure the bag to a chair or umbrella, assuming that someone would not want to take the time to untie or unattach the bag. I imagine that someone wanting to steal something will take the path of least resistance and grab one that is unsecured. No guarantees but thankfully I have never had anything stolen.

I recently saw it suggested to wrap your valuables in a diaper. Not a bad idea! No one is going to pick up a perceived dirty diaper :) I still would keep my credit card/cash in a waterproof pouch while I swim though.