Riviera main dining room

emjayef

On my recent Riviera cruise when we were meeting another couple to eat in Polo at 6:30 I waited on the short line as it opened and asked for a table for 4. The Maitre'd took our cabin number, determined it wasn't a suite, and said that we could be seated at 8:00. This was unacceptable so when the other couple arrived, fashionably late, I told them we would have to go elsewhere, he [the male of the couple] said for me to let him arrange it. Sure enough, he had some swift words and a lean over the lectern [or whatever it is] and we were sent to "our table". What had he said that I hadn't. They were in a lower category then we were in. When I asked him he said he'd slipped him $. I'm still shocked. I'm from NY so I've been around, but never expected this on a cruise ship....hadn't thought of it.

[quote name='portofinoitaly']This is a service industry. I always tip extra for good service, whether it is the room attendant, the server, or Maitre D' even when gratuities are included. They all appreciate the extra income.[/QUOTE]
[SIZE="3"][FONT="Tahoma"]+1, Very well said. Whatever your "simple request" is, multiply it by fifty, and then imagine facing that avalanche of change EVERY TIME THAT YOU GO TO WORK.
A tip is the least that we can do. :p[/FONT][/SIZE]

[quote name='rundent']On my recent Riviera cruise when we were meeting another couple to eat in Polo at 6:30 I waited on the short line as it opened and asked for a table for 4. [/QUOTE]

I am surprised that you would not be seated with a confirmed reservation for 6:30pm

We have never been bumped but I suppose it could happen

That is why they take reservations isn't it ??

[quote name='turnip eater']That's not a tip.......It's a BRIBE. Hopefully someone in authority from Oceania reads this and 'speaks' to this crew member.[/QUOTE]

I've done it on Celebrity in both the MDR and Blu. It's common restaurant practice to tip the Maître D after getting a " special " table, both as a recognition and thank you, but also to assure such treatment in the future...
It happens all the time....

[quote name='Kevnzworld']I've done it on Celebrity in both the MDR and Blu. It's common restaurant practice to tip the Maître D [B]after[/B] getting a " special " table, both as a recognition and thank you, but also to assure such treatment in the future...
It happens all the time....[/QUOTE]

That it the key word ;)
AFTER not BEFORE

[quote name='Kevnzworld']I've done it on Celebrity in both the MDR and Blu. It's common restaurant practice to tip the Maître D after getting a " special " table, both as a recognition and thank you, but also to assure such treatment in the future...
It happens all the time....[/QUOTE]

It is just like the term "Dress for success". When you see all of those well dressed couples with the delightful window seats.....you can thank the Maitre D'...;-))

[quote name='portofinoitaly']It is just like the term "Dress for success". When you see all of those well dressed couples with the delightful window seats.....you can thank the Maitre D'...;-))[/QUOTE]

We enjoy the tables at the window ...but never tipped or bribed anyone to get one

YMMV

Dining at a table for two in Toscano (Insignia) last month, we observed a table of 6 being filled with various folks who had apparently signed up to 'Share'. As the last couple who was being shown to the table approached, the female loudly insisted she had no intention of sharing! They were quietly approached by the Maitre 'd and within three minutes had been seated at a table for two just a short distance away.

It was at 7:30 so I assume that there were no more diners waiting to be seated as there were several tables for two open.

[quote name='LHT28']We enjoy the tables at the window ...but never tipped or bribed anyone to get one

YMMV[/QUOTE]

I have not had the need to "slip" $$ prior, but in appreciation "Always" give a nice "gratuity" to the Maitre D as a thank you, upon exiting. Do they remember who is generous and who is not? Of course they do, and that usually sets the precedent for the whole cruise. The wine steward in the Terrace also will be provided a nice gratuity and our bottle arrives in a timely manner and he remembers what we drink. A win win for all.

[quote name='portofinoitaly']I have not had the need to "slip" $$ prior, but in appreciation "Always" give a nice "gratuity" to the Maitre D as a thank you, upon exiting. Do they remember who is generous and who is not? Of course they do, and that usually sets the precedent for the whole cruise. The wine steward in the Terrace also will be provided a nice gratuity and our bottle arrives in a timely manner and he remembers what we drink. A win win for all.[/QUOTE]
I have the same experience (minus the wine order)
If you think the service is better because you tipped someone before or after your meal whatever work ;)

Have never tipped extra until the end of the cruise

To each his own

[quote name='LHT28']I have the same experience (minus the wine order)
If you think the service is better because you tipped someone before or after your meal whatever work ;)

Have never tipped extra until the end of the cruise

To each his own[/QUOTE]

You are so right. We always tip at the end of the cruise and are always remembered when we cruise again. Sad some feel they have to BRIBE!

[quote name='orchestrapal']You are so right. We always tip at the end of the cruise and are always remembered when we cruise again. Sad some feel they have to BRIBE![/QUOTE]

My question? What is the difference if a "gratuity" is provided Before, During, or After a cruise?? ;-))

There have been lots of debates about this on the list. A regular poster makes it a practice to tip his butler in advance -- he does insure great service that way. OTOH, while we've given our butler and room steward(ess) an extra bonus, it's always been at the end of the trip and we still had great service on the cruise. (If we hadn't had great service, that bonus would not have been forthcoming, however.)

There is probably a very good reason why I never ever heard of (until now) that tipping the maitre d' in a specialty restaurant can get you a preferred table ... We always got our reservation, or we didn't!

Mura

[quote name='portofinoitaly']My question? What is the difference if a "gratuity" is provided Before, During, or After a cruise?? ;-))[/QUOTE]

I really would not call this a gratuity. The scenario I see is this. I approach one of the specialty restaurants and am told their is no table available. Mr. X approaches right in back of me, gives a 20$ tip and is shown to the table of his choice. If that is what happened I find it in very poor taste on the part of Oceania.

To each, his/her own. Tipping in cash is a personal decision. No reason to get huffy.

We tip the gents in Barristas because they do an excellent job on our behalf and provide everyone on board great service. Is this required, is it necessary? Nope. We do so b/c we want to. And we are served promptly with our regular order every morning. As is everyone else ordering expressi.

We tip bar tenders & wine stewards who routinely served us so well during a cruise - over & above the 18%. Required? Nope. We tip our housekeepers above & beyond amounts charged on the ship account or when gratuities are waived. Required? Nope.

Many passengers do so because we can afford to. Those who do, happily want to recognize and encourage extra special effort. Cash conveys that message. TIPS = To Insure Prompt Service. But, hey, if you can not tip due to financial constraints or see it as a bugaboo, that's cool. Tipping works for us but O offers terrific service for everyone on board irrespective of your cabin category.

Checking in at hotels, we tip the front desk. To say thank you, we appreciate your effort. Then politely ask - is there a room upgrade available, free breakfast passes, etc ?

Just like at O specialty restaurants. Our experience has been butlers can't produce for us at a desired time. So, for our needs, we take a different path. Sometimes it works, some nights no luck. That's cool, we understand. But our cash tips acknowledge people who work hard, deserve extra monetary recognition and hopefully will provide even better service on our behalf in the coming days while on board.

[quote name='wristband']To each, his/her own. Tipping in cash is a personal decision. No reason to get huffy.

We tip the gents in Barristas because they do an excellent job on our behalf and provide everyone on board great service. Is this required, is it necessary? Nope. We do so b/c we want to. And we are served promptly with our regular order every morning. As is everyone else ordering expressi.

We tip bar tenders & wine stewards who routinely served us so well during a cruise - over & above the 18%. Required? Nope. We tip our housekeepers above & beyond amounts charged on the ship account or when gratuities are waived. Required? Nope.

Many passengers do so because we can afford to. Those who do, happily want to recognize and encourage extra special effort. Cash conveys that message. TIPS = To Insure Prompt Service. But, hey, if you can not tip due to financial constraints or see it as a bugaboo, that's cool. Tipping works for us but O offers terrific service for everyone on board irrespective of your cabin category.

Checking in at hotels, we tip the front desk. To say thank you, we appreciate your effort. Then politely ask - is there a room upgrade available, free breakfast passes, etc ?

Just like at O specialty restaurants. Our experience has been butlers can't produce for us at a desired time. So, for our needs, we take a different path. Sometimes it works, some nights no luck. That's cool, we understand. But our cash tips acknowledge people who work hard, deserve extra monetary recognition and hopefully will provide even better service on our behalf in the coming days while on board.[/QUOTE]

thank you. We are similar and we also tip the Barristas and it is nice when they remember how you like your espresso every a.m. If I know the room stewardess has the day off, I will leave a little extra that day so she/he can get off the ship and possibly get a little extra something. We are generous and understand their hard work and long hours and want to show our appreciation. Do I think we are getting a better table due to my pretty face? Absolutely not, they understand we treat them with respect and are generous and appreciative and do not take advantage. As I said prior, I think it sets the stage for our whole cruise and our enjoyment, which we pay for. Win Win for All. ( I do not even steal the toiletries) ;-))

If you read my post, tipping does not "grease the skids." If a table is available, great, you get the same table if you showed at opening time, politely asked and a table was free - without a tip. Passengers cancel at the last minute, yes?

We come at opening, ask and tip after reservations are seated. I choose to recognize the special effort made day in and day out this way. We don't sulk if we can't get in at the last minute. I gave up on butlers long ago - worthless in this area. We reserve online prior to the cruise. And then go direct on other nights where we tip & ask politely.

Everyone has the same option - without a gratuity.

Ditto for Barristas. You enjoy the same coffee as I do without tipping. That's cool. My choice is to tip those working there to recognize and reward past efforts on my behalf and to encourage more of the same for my future morning visits. But that is my choice and if do not do so, I am confident you are served the same coffee in the same cheerful manner.

If you can't stomach the concept, just say thank you. No one is judging you. So why criticize those of us who choose to tip as a generous way of saying thanks?

You are not disadvantaged. To claim otherwise - based on assumptions somehow you were disadvantaged - telegraphs a big chip on the shoulder. Which, if not knocked off, that chip will only detract from your enjoyment onboard.

[quote name='wristband']We have had multiple voyages on Riviera, just got off the trans-Atlantic. The food was terrific in the MDR, menu varied each night, interesting offerings, something for everyone - no boring repeats or dud dishes. I way preferred it over meals at Polo & Red Ginger.

As for specialty restaurants, our Riviera butlers are useless nailing additional reservations. Either no follow through or crazy last minute calls at 6:25 "there is an opening for two at a table for six for sharing in five minutes." We dine alone, no sharing. PH butlers can't seem to get this one request taken care on our cruises.

BUT a $20 cash tip to the gent handling seating works. Gets us a table of two any number of times (separate from our online bookings) during the cruise for Jacques and Toscana.[/QUOTE]

Seems like you are greasing the skids to me with that 20$. Maybe I can afford 50$. Should I get the table instead of you? Very tacky way to operate a cruise ship.

I have never tipped in the specialty restaurants. Actually it has never occurred to me to do so given that the cruise line encourages the use of the gratuity shared by all employees. Nevertheless, I have always managed to get extra reservations and excellent service simply by asking nicely and by being flexible and willing to share.:D But if it works for you I have no particular objection as long and you do not short the shared gratuity.

Crew members have repeatedly told me that the best thing I can do for them is to name them (favorably) in the mid-cruise and end of cruise reviews. Those comments may or may not be linked to bonuses (just don't know) but I am assured that they are a big factor in promotions. In the long term that is more beneficial than a $20 tip. I have twice met crew members whom I had complemented on previous cruises and were now in new, supervisory positions.

Philosophically, I think crew members who perform their jobs with energy and grace because that is their nature are more deserving of recognition (and promotion) than those who do so only when bribed.

Robbie

I apologize for not getting back to the thread for so long. Both the other couple and I did not have a reservation for that night. The table that we eventually got was available [and denied] when I asked for it ten minutes earlier. We got it because the other guy bribed the Maitre'd and I didn't. I don't see how anyone can see this in any other light. A bribe is a bribe, not a tip, under these circumstances.

[QUOTE]Both the other couple and I did not have a reservation for that night. The table that we eventually got was available [and denied] when I asked for it ten minutes earlier.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="3"][FONT="Tahoma"]Unlike McDonald's, where one may assume that a table is "available" if no one is presently sitting at it, seating in a better restaurant is dependent on a number of factors such as the availability of service staff, kitchen capacity and the reservations of other patrons.

As I see it, the additional gratuity offered by the other couple was in the way of compensation for the trouble that accommodating your request may have caused in the greater scheme of things. [/FONT][/SIZE]

Coming from Europe I find all this tipping business disgusting. On both sides - the giver and the receiver.

Staff should be paid a decent wage (which I believe they are on Oceania). The "gratuities" (another word I hate) are added to the cruise fare. And that should be that. People who flash money around probably have a larger estimate of their own self importance than they ought to.

We happily tip anyone when service above and beyond expectations has been provided - Butler, Stewardess etc. But not a Maître d'Hòtel for providing a table. It is his job to do so. This is not "above and beyond" ones expections. And to me this is bribery.

So if you want to bribe someone to do something for you, I suppose you can go ahead.