Riviera main dining room

emjayef

Coming from Europe I find all this tipping business disgusting. On both sides - the giver and the receiver.

Staff should be paid a decent wage (which I believe they are on Oceania). The "gratuities" (another word I hate) are added to the cruise fare. And that should be that. People who flash money around probably have a larger estimate of their own self importance than they ought to.

We happily tip anyone when service above and beyond expectations has been provided - Butler, Stewardess etc. But not a Maître d'Hòtel for providing a table. It is his job to do so. This is not "above and beyond" ones expections. And to me this is bribery.

So if you want to bribe someone to do something for you, I suppose you can go ahead.

Very well said Gerry!!!

[quote name='Hambagahle']Coming from Europe I find all this tipping business disgusting. On both sides - the giver and the receiver.

Staff should be paid a decent wage (which I believe they are on Oceania). The "gratuities" (another word I hate) are added to the cruise fare. And that should be that. People who flash money around probably have a larger estimate of their own self importance than they ought to.

We happily tip anyone when service above and beyond expectations has been provided - Butler, Stewardess etc. But not a Maître d'Hòtel for providing a table. It is his job to do so. This is not "above and beyond" ones expections. And to me this is bribery.

So if you want to bribe someone to do something for you, I suppose you can go ahead.[/QUOTE]

+1
I agree
I prefer the European way

This tipping business has gotten out of hand
They now have cups at the counters of fast food place ...they do not do anything extra for you ..it is their job to take your order & put it on a tray or in a bag :eek:

[quote name='JimandStan'][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]Unlike McDonald's, where one may assume that a table is "available" if no one is presently sitting at it, seating in a better restaurant is dependent on a number of factors such as the availability of service staff, kitchen capacity and the reservations of other patrons.

As I see it, the additional gratuity offered by the other couple was in the way of compensation for the trouble that accommodating your request may have caused in the greater scheme of things. [/FONT][/SIZE][/quote]
Jim (and Stan) are among my favorite cruise friends, and I almost always agree with whatever he says. But, we have always differed on this subject. Perhaps it's because he's used to the metropolitan area where this sort of tipping is the norm, while if I tipped the high school girls who are the hostesses in the restaurants in our town, they probably wouldn't know what to do with it.

So, with the greatest respect for Jim and his opinions, I have to say that the Maitre 'd goes to no "trouble" in providing a table for a cash handout, but uses his power as a means to improve his own income. I doubt the service and kitchen staff ever see a dime of it. He is the maitre 'd, and his job is to seat patrons. If he denies someone a seat because they have not bribed him, he is NOT doing his job. Edited by hondorner

[quote name='hondorner']Jim (and Stan) are among my favorite cruise friends, and I almost always agree with whatever he says. But, we have always differed on this subject. Perhaps it's because he's used to the metropolitan area where this sort of tipping is the norm, while if I tipped the high school girls who are the hostesses in the restaurants in our town, they probably wouldn't know what to do with it.

So, with the greatest respect for Jim and his opinions, I have to say that the Maitre 'd goes to no "trouble" in providing a table for a cash handout, but uses his power as a means to improve his own income. I doubt the service and kitchen staff ever see a dime of it. He is the maitre 'd, and his job is to seat patrons. If he denies someone a seat because they have not bribed him, he is NOT doing his job.[/quote]

I agree. Perhaps this behavior/incident should be brought to the attention of his superior. Just a thought.

[quote name='rundent']I apologize for not getting back to the thread for so long. Both the other couple and I did not have a reservation for that night. The table that we eventually got was available [and denied] when I asked for it ten minutes earlier. We got it because the other guy bribed the Maitre'd and I didn't. I don't see how anyone can see this in any other light. A bribe is a bribe, not a tip, under these circumstances.[/QUOTE]

Based on multiple previous comments I have revised my opinion that this does no harm . In the case described in the quote above harm was done in one (or both) of two ways:

1. Seating policy was violated by using a table not supposed to be used until the next seating (normally 30 minutes). Thus higher workload on servers and decreased service for other patrons. Or,
2. A party with reservations later in the evening found their table delayed, unavailable or some of their dinner choices sold out.

If I were to observe this behavior I would report it to the hotel manager.

Robbie

This thread could use a bit of humor. US vs Europe and tipping. We in the US are used to adding gratuities to most everything when service is required due to the fact the work force in the service industry typically are paid low wages. They are dependent on this extra income and it is very important to their standard of living.
How many of us Americans have visited Italy for the 1st time, dined at a lovely restaurant, received the bill and added our customary 20% gratuity? Well, the joke is on us and I am sure they all chuckle knowing that gratuity was already included. "Lessons learned in Life".

Personally I felt all of the food even the specialty dining were mediocre at best. Jacques mussels and steaks were bland. Everyone at the table thought so. Red ginge OK. Italian ok. IMHO

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Agnes, I don't know which ship you were on or even if that makes a difference.

We have always loved Jacques (not that some dishes aren't better than others) but the mussels there are just about my favorite dish on the ship. You are free to differ, of course! Red Ginger isn't one of our favorites, although we did have a wonderful meal there when our TA invited us and two other couples to join us and she pre-ordered the meal.

Some people dislike the GDR but we've always had good meals there -- we like the variety and the changing menus. As far as Polo and Toscana, we prefer Polo ... but we've had good meals in both, not so good in both.

I personally wouldn't agree with your assessment but I don't know if you were there on bad nights and we were there on good nights, or maybe it's just that we have different tastes.

And again, there can be a difference in which ship, which cruise.

Sorry you didn't have a good experience.

Mura

We also avoid the MDR. On our last cruise on the Marina in September, we ate in specialty restaurants every night. We never had a problem in getting extra reservations (which we did on our own). We also never slipped anything to the maître d We generally found that being friendly and polite was the key . We had the same experience on our first O cruise in 2012.

I must smile to read the "standard" complaints. Whether your on a luxury ship or a entry level economy cruise, you hear pretty much the exact complaints....
Is there a book people read to script their obvious demanding and discerning standards? "The Art of Sounding Urbane and Sophisticated at Sea."

April-May spent 34 days in every venue. As a foodie of sorts I was impressed, and very pleased with everything I ran into.

I liked some better but that was my specific taste and not objective to the big picture. That is , I think the crux of most problems that are perceived personally for whatever end reason.

I really enjoyed that staff would make or modify things that you requested without a thought....

As a "public service announcement" sort of thing here is some more info on tipping etc in several European countries so you can avoid adding 20% when you have already paid it!

UK - 10% is the norme. And in many places now this is added to the bill when you pay it. You have to read the menu carefully to find out (typically British, I think!)
France and Italy - the service charge is already IN the menu price. So are the taxes. However while in France you are more or less expected to "round up" what you pay - if say €32 bill you pay €35 etc - in Italy it is a little more. Italian friends of ours add about 5%.
Switzerland - All tips are included in the price, tax too. And no more are expected. But if you have good service, like the place/waiter etc a little (1-2frs on a 100frs bill) go down well. For Switzerland this "included" applies also to taxis, hairdressers etc etc.

Bottom line is that in these three countries at least waiters do not depend on tips at all. Their salaries are normal rates. A Swiss waiter (better paid usually than in France or Italy because our cost of living is higher and wages are therefore higher) earns about $40-50k a year in salary, has 4 weeks holiday at least. That's the way it is here. The big problem is that when the staff hear an American accent they now think "tip"!! And more than often they get it. Which doesn't exactly ruin things for the natives (like me!) but doesn't help either. We never tip chambermaids in hotels - same rules apply...

As far as I remember (and I haven't been north for a while) this also applies in Scandinavia.

Also in Italy, when they ask if you would like the bread basket...it is not included as in the US but an additional charge. Same if you order an espresso ( no tip if you stand at the bar, but if you sit down you pay for it). I am sure Europeans and Aussies are just as confused when they come to the US.

[quote name='portofinoitaly']Also in Italy, when they ask if you would like the bread basket...it is not included as in the US but an additional charge. Same if you order an espresso ( no tip if you stand at the bar, but if you sit down you pay for it). I am sure Europeans and Aussies are just as confused when they come to the US.[/QUOTE]

No confusion for me,I add 20% in the US and in the UK normally the service is added to your bill,usually12.5%
You have to read the bill but if it is not clear always ask if service is included or not.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

[quote name='Mr Luxury']No confusion for me,I add 20% in the US and in the UK normally the service is added to your bill,usually12.5%
You have to read the bill but if it is not clear always ask if service is included or not.

Sent from my iPad using Forums[/QUOTE]

Yes, I learned that about 20 yrs. ago but for many 1st timers it is always helpful to understand the differences. It was a very expensive lunch at the Cipriani in Venice ;))

[quote name='portofinoitaly']Yes, I learned that about 20 yrs. ago but for many 1st timers it is always helpful to understand the differences. It was a very expensive lunch at the Cipriani in Venice ;))[/QUOTE]

I had the same experience at my favourite Hotel Splendido in Portofino.

[quote name='portofinoitaly']Why did an American woman choose her CC name as "Portofinoitaly"? :-)) One of my favorite places[/QUOTE]
Actually, I was wondering where the Port of Ino, Italy is (tongue planted firmly in cheek). Edited by hondorner

Interesting to see the journey of this board. Appreciated MDR knowing the number of people served on any night. We just got off the ship and found that the appetizers and some menu items seem to be incorporated to keep in touch with the more current food trends. Also perhaps I missed this on our last cruise but I appreciated the bfast specials available at Terrace Cafe in the morning and the burger special at waves during the day. Really loved the crab burgers and our traveling companions said the veggie burgers were terrific. Learned there were softshell crabs in MDR and we went just for the apps and then up to Terrace Cafe for the main course one night. In fact we did "progressive" dinner on a couple of occasions if there was an appetizer we wanted in Terrace Cafe, or a desert, And what was great is our Head waiter in MDR, or Terrace Cafe was very willing to accommodate. Did not expect food to be of the same quality as the specialty restaurants but we found several waiters and head waiters that provided excellent service and entertainment. So even if food was okay their interactions made the night.

As to specialty restaurants we too have found that getting to know the staff early in the cruise, both meeting the maitre'd and also the reservation desk folks went a long way. Only one night we did not get into a restaurant we wanted and that was more our doing since we failed to speak to someone earlier in the day. Food is personal preference and for us Jacques main course are our least favorite although we really enjoyed what we think was a upgrade to the appetizer, and salad selections in Jacques. I understand more refreshing to Jacques menu is coming early in the year.

We also had the good fortune of having the Corporate Fleet Chef on our TA and it was great to learn how he is continuing to work to keep the dining at top level knowing that his passengers often are foodies. His demos were great.

[quote name='kibutzer']...We also had the good fortune of having the Corporate Fleet Chef on our TA and it was great to learn how he is continuing to work to keep the dining at top level knowing that his passengers often are foodies. His demos were great.[/QUOTE]
Did he demonstrate his famous mashed potatoes? Did they dolly in cartons of butter :D?

In some restaurants in Italy there is a cover charge (coperto). This has nothing to do with the service charge or tip which is included in the menu price. And anytime I have eaten in the restaurants that charge the cover charge I have never been able to get away with not paying it - whether I ate the Grissini or not...

[quote name='Hambagahle']In some restaurants in Italy there is a cover charge (coperto). This has nothing to do with the service charge or tip which is included in the menu price. And anytime I have eaten in the restaurants that charge the cover charge I have never been able to get away with not paying it - whether I ate the Grissini or not...[/QUOTE]

The cover charge is one of those old charges that is seldom seen these days except in Italian restaurants.

It covers the olives,bread and tablecloth/napkins/linen