Princess couldn't fix soot on Regal and they are building a third?

Loreni

I just read a review of the Regal. The reviewers were upgraded from a mini to an aft suite and said it had a serious soot problem. So this tells me two things. One, Princess is having a hard time selling aft balconies on Regal. Two, Princess knew there was a soot problem on Royal and failed to fix the problem on the Regal. Now they are building a third ship of this design. Will it have a soot problem?

The reviewers also said they would have been very unhappy if they had paid for the suite and that they would have preferred to have their mini with a clean balcony. This makes me think it was in involuntary upgrade. Is this they only way Princess can fill these cabins? I don't think these cabins should be sold without a warning and a discount.

I was looking at the deck plans of Quantum of the Seas. It has a lounge with lovely windows overlooking the sea rather than aft balconies. Maybe this could work for the thrid sister of the Royal class rather that soot covered balconies. I don't care how often the furniture is wiped, this won't keep the soot out of my lungs.

Edited by Loreni

I was looking at the deck plans of Quantum of the Seas. It has a lounge with lovely windows overlooking the sea rather than aft balconies...........

You may want to look at the deck plans for deck 8 and deck 10 on the Quantum (and maybe decks 9 and 11, the descriptions indicate that there are balconies even though the drawing doesn't show them).

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/quantumoftheseas/meet-the-ship/deck-plans/

They may have a better designed exhaust system. Guess we will hear more when it starts sailing.

Edited by ar1950

From what I've heard (from "sources"), the Regal soot problem is less than the Royal. They are aware of it but won't be able to fix it until the ships go into dry dock. The problem seems be worse in some conditions and it depends on a number of factors. In other words, it's not consistent.

Yes, there's a third ship on order.

Edited by Pam in CA

If Princess build a 3rd Royal class ship you do have to wonder if they really care about there low ratings and feedback. Having just booked a cheap week on the regal for $549 for a balcony. Loads of members on cc say that princess read these boards, have they read the slating the Royal get.

You may want to look at the deck plans for deck 8 and deck 10 on the Quantum (and maybe decks 9 and 11, the descriptions indicate that there are balconies even though the drawing doesn't show them).

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/quantumoftheseas/meet-the-ship/deck-plans/

They may have a better designed exhaust system. Guess we will hear more when it starts sailing.

I have not carefully studied the Quantum. I was amazed by its 270 lounge and would love to visit it, but I probably won't. That's why I think it would be great for Princess to have a lounge like this, instead of failed aft balconies. The Quantm probably isn't the ship for us. For example, one needs to book restaurants and shows MANY months in advance. And then there is the bracelet issue.

It reminds me of what has recently happened to Disney World with the Fast Pass Plus and Magic Band systems. DH and I recently visited Disney World for the first time in 25 years and took full advantage of these new systems. It required significant and stressful upfront planning. The result: yes, we had shorter lines, but we had to plan attractions and meals months advance. It wasn't fun. It wasn't really a vacation. It was nothing like the many happy, carefree times we have had at Disneyland. It is hard to be carefree when you are on a schedule. Thank God Disneyland doesn't have or need these systems. So as interesting as Quantum looks, I doubt is is for us. I just wish the Royal class had something significant to offer to compensate for what it lacks: a decent promenad and decent balconies.

Edited by Loreni

......... The Quantm probably isn't the ship for us. ..................

Dittos on that. More expensive than what we like to spend for a cruise. We will be on the Regal in December and so will our TA who has been invited to a special Quantum demo cruise this month. We will be interested in what she has to say about it even though it is unlikely we will ever sail on it. :cool:

Edited by ar1950

Well, we for one, changed our room choice after reading about the afts on Regal. On a warm weather cruise, we spend lots of time on the balcony. I would not want to be bothered to clean off the furniture every morning to enjoy breakfast out there. Or be dressed for dinner and have to towel off the chairs. It's not what I vacation for. A big deal? Not to many. But to some of us...and even if I had to do it only a few days, I'd be grumbling. ;) We ended up with a midship extended balcony. Look for us there :D

But you still had soot? Is that correct? How was the smell? What room? What deck?
D730. My wife wiped off the table and chairs. Steward tried to keep it clean. Actually, I think we have more soot on our patio. Of course, we live not too far from an 80,000 acre forest fire.

The Regal was way to far along to change and they weren't even close to know what the problems were at the time to make anything other than minor changes.

I think its way to premature to say they are making the exact same ship or that the new ship will have the same problem.

I imagine the soot emitted from the Regal's stacks are due to the use of bunker fuel which is high in sulphur. As allowed by the countries bordering the Mediterranean Sea.

Upon nearing the US and Canadian coasts (200 miles) the Regal and other cruise ships must use cleaner fuel with a much lower sulphur content.

As of January 1, 2015, cruise ships must use even cleaner fuel. The soot problem should be self correcting. However, transatlantic and transpacific voyages would again have much higher levels of soot.

I imagine the soot emitted from the Regal's stacks are due to the use of bunker fuel which is high in sulphur. As allowed by the countries bordering the Mediterranean Sea.

Upon nearing the US and Canadian coasts (200 miles) the Regal and other cruise ships must use cleaner fuel with a much lower sulphur content.

As of January 1, 2015, cruise ships must use even cleaner fuel. The soot problem should be self correcting. However, transatlantic and transpacific voyages would again have much higher levels of soot.

I never new this, I am surprised that the U.S. has better environmental laws than Europe

I never new this, I am surprised that the U.S. has better environmental laws than Europe

low sulphur fuel restrictions will be in force for the baltic, north sea and english channel soon (this winter?) the rest of the med will follow by 2020.

the cost of cruises should rise as the low sulphur fuel is more expensive and there may even be insufficient supplies :eek:

Hi all

I think Princess cruisers should pay close attention to reviews of the Britannia, her layout is different and from what l have seen better than the Royal.

Yours Shogun

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

We had aft facing cabin on the Royal last year and soot wasn't that big a deal.

So did we.

We had one really bad day and the rest of the time it was minimal.

We spent many hours on the balcony.The steward wiped it off twice a day and we made sure to use the extra towels he left us to put on the chairs before we sat down.

I'd book an aft again on the Royal and Regal (and actually did until Princess sold our February cruise to a charter :( )in a heartbeat.

We were on Dolphin. Dolphin and Baja have some cover from above and I would only book afts on those decks, however.

FYI - as soon as they get the bugs out, Magic Bands will be coming to Disneyland and all the global parks. There may be variances in process but that was always the plan over time. Disney World is finally starting to show the revenue and data benefits the program was designed to deliver.

I strongly suspect RFID style bands and cards will move on to cruise lines as well, there are just too many benefits (pointed these out in another thread, came up with about 10 off the top of my head)

I have not carefully studied the Quantum. I was amazed by its 270 lounge and would love to visit it, but I probably won't. That's why I think it would be great for Princess to have a lounge like this, instead of failed aft balconies. The Quantm probably isn't the ship for us. For example, one needs to book restaurants and shows MANY months in advance. And then there is the bracelet issue.

It reminds me of what has recently happened to Disney World with the Fast Pass Plus and Magic Band systems. DH and I recently visited Disney World for the first time in 25 years and took full advantage of these new systems. It required significant and stressful upfront planning. The result: yes, we had shorter lines, but we had to plan attractions and meals months advance. It wasn't fun. It wasn't really a vacation. It was nothing like the many happy, carefree times we have had at Disneyland. It is hard to be carefree when you are on a schedule. Thank God Disneyland doesn't have or need these systems. So as interesting as Quantum looks, I doubt is is for us. I just wish the Royal class had something significant to offer to compensate for what it lacks: a decent promenad and decent balconies.

This is very interesting to read. We are sailing the Regal on one of the first Carr. cruises in November in R734. For us the gamble is worth it to have a huge balcony. And, everyone has different levels of tolerance, and for that matter, what is an issue or not. I'm sometimes amazed at some of the (to me) extensive threads on (to me) very picky issues. I subscribe to the belief that no cruise (lest it sinks) is a bad cruise...just good, better and best. Having said that, I'll definitely do a detailed review of our aft cabin, with or without soot, for those booked afterwards.:)

FYI - as soon as they get the bugs out, Magic Bands will be coming to Disneyland and all the global parks. There may be variances in process but that was always the plan over time. Disney World is finally starting to show the revenue and data benefits the program was designed to deliver.

I strongly suspect RFID style bands and cards will move on to cruise lines as well, there are just too many benefits (pointed these out in another thread, came up with about 10 off the top of my head)

As a former Cast Member with The Walt Disney Company involved with the MyMagic+ rollout, I can say that ALL MagicBands shipped to guests' homes have a 100% success rate. The problem was and still is (but seen less than testing-and-adjusting) with the database, as all the MagicBands really included was a unique identifier that associated your band with the entitlements linked to your profile. This same identifier is located on all RFID ticket media, which would have the same result to the end user.

Also, on most occasions, the touchpoint will error to blue instead of green because of a user error. Once it errors to blue, the Cast Member has full control/discretion on deciding how to proceed with the guest situation on a YMMV basis.

Edited by Disconnections

As a former Cast Member with The Walt Disney Company involved with the MyMagic+ rollout, I can say that ALL MagicBands shipped to guests' homes have a 100% success rate. The problem was and still is (but seen less than testing-and-adjusting) with the database, as all the MagicBands really included was a unique identifier that associated your band with the entitlements linked to your profile. This same identifier is located on all RFID ticket media, which would have the same result to the end user.

Also, on most occasions, the touchpoint will error to blue instead of green because of a user error. Once it errors to blue, the Cast Member has full control/discretion on deciding how to proceed with the guest situation on a YMMV basis.

We had no technical problems with the Magicbands and the fastpass+ worked as it was designed to work. We really wanted to like this, but for us, scheduling and carefree vacation just don't go together. I would hate to have to do this on a cruise. I wonder how it will work out on the Quantum. People are already complaining about restaurant availability for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and they don't know what times they should be scheduling their dinner since show times have not all been announced. What happens if they don't get hungry on time? Last minute pressure to try to reschedule everything? It sounds horrible. Some restaurants are free and some are extra fee. It is possible that the least desirable choices will be available last minute (however last minute may be defined). And it isn't even possible to make an appropriate schedule if Royal Caribbean has not disclosed the show times. So more stress. Hope Princess never goes this route.

Edited by Loreni

The soot issue was not seen when the model of the Royal was wind tunnel tested as the M.U.T.S. screen was not installed on the upper deck of the model. That is what causes the soot issue, not cheap bunker oil being burned. It is a wind turburlance issue with what flows over the M.U.T.S. screen, and yes the Regal has the same issue. Sometimes the weather and existing wind can mitigate the issue sometimes, but it is still a really dirty issue. We are looking at a British Isles cruise on the Royal next year and it will be a midship Penthouse Suite not on the rear as we have enjoyed on the Crown and Ruby.

Edited by Steviewonder1

The soot issue was not seen when the model of the Royal was wind tunnel tested as the M.U.T.S. screen was not installed on the upper deck of the model. That is what causes the soot issue, not cheap bunker oil being burned. It is a wind turburlance issue with what flows over the M.U.T.S. screen, and yes the Regal has the same issue. Sometimes the weather and existing wind can mitigate the issue sometimes, but it is still a really dirty issue. We are looking at a British Isles cruise on the Royal next year and it will be a midship Penthouse Suite not on the rear as we have enjoyed on the Crown and Ruby.

We were told by the chief design engineer for Carnival during a lecture that not only were there aerodynamic problems causing the trouble but the engines were also putting out more shoot than they should and they would be working with the manufacturer on the problem.