Under age drinking

Shipbound

Would you buy drinks for a guest if you new they were under age ? The reason I asked this question is that guests have asked me to buy them drinks and I new they were under age, I said no.

Gary

since cruise line policy is to kick anyone caught drinking who is underage AND the poor schmuck providing, off the ship, oh hell no.

since cruise line policy is to kick anyone caught drinking who is underage AND the poor schmuck providing, off the ship, oh hell no.

I wouldn't want to risk the rest of my cruise by buying a minor a drink. A few cruises ago I saw a waiter taking away some glasses of champagne from a couple of teenagers who were standing with an adult (perhaps their dad). Maybe you'll get a warning, but maybe you won't.

It's one thing if you're at home and it's your kids. But all the "they can fight for their country..." arguments will not be considered relevant; you're still violating the cruise contract.

No. Not for any reason. And while I understand people want to be in control of thier own children and so will buy drinks for thier kids. That doesn't make it legal and is still against the rules. Be queen in your own castle. This ship has rules.

EXACTLY ;)

My kids always have told me they had heard there were parents who allowed their kids to drink and actually serve alcohol at teen parties. I thought at the time that these were just rumors created to protect kids who were underage purchasing their own liquor. After reading so many on here who say they'd do it for their kids, I no longer doubt my kids when they say it's true. .....WOW....That's all I'm going to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by t1adams

I wouldn't want to risk the rest of my cruise by buying a minor a drink. A few cruises ago I saw a waiter taking away some glasses of champagne from a couple of teenagers who were standing with an adult (perhaps their dad). Maybe you'll get a warning' date=' but maybe you won't.

It's one thing if you're at home and it's your kids. But all the "they can fight for their country..." arguments will not be considered relevant; you're still violating the cruise contract.[/quote']

And teaching your children that it's okay to break contracts you agreed to just because you feel like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good luck to those parents when their kids break another law and say "But Mom and Dad, you taught me to make my own rules".

It's illegal. Period.

Well it's illegal from some ports, so doesn't it depend where you are sailing from.

I love the way that so many people here post as if the only country in the world was the one they are in and the rules in their country applied, or should apply, to the rest of the world.

I was 18 when we cruised Alaska. Being English, it was a little frustrating having a hole punched in my card!

I wasn't and am still not a big drinker but enjoy a glass of wine with dinner or the occasional g&t. My parents were discreet about it but did buy me a drink or two.

Our last cruise, we shared a table with an american family whose 18 year old son had chosen to cruise out of Europe so he could have the odd beer. That's 3 years under his 'legal' age and there's no way my parents would have allowed me drinks at 15!

I've never understood the 21 age limit. You can drive (think Americans can at a younger age than us too), vote, get married, graduate, join the forces but can't have a drink?! The mind boggles.

Edited by Cooso

Legal drinking age in Oz is 18, has been for 40 years, yet if you go to US at 20yo you are drinking illegally! So can Aussies drink onboard if they are over 18 or does the ship have its own regulations?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Legal drinking age in Oz is 18, has been for 40 years, yet if you go to US at 20yo you are drinking illegally! So can Aussies drink onboard if they are over 18 or does the ship have its own regulations?

Ships sailing from Australia it is, in my experience, 18. n fact on ships from Australia Americans 18-21 can drink with the written approval of their parents.

Unless things have changed in 10 years, if you're sailing out of an american port, you have to be 21 to drink. It doesn't matter if your nationality has a legal age of 18. This was the problem I had in Alaska.

I guess it's the same as visiting an american bar at 20. You are still below their legal age limit.

Unless things have changed in 10 years, if you're sailing out of an american port, you have to be 21 to drink. It doesn't matter if your nationality has a legal age of 18. This was the problem I had in Alaska.

I guess it's the same as visiting an american bar at 20. You are still below their legal age limit.

Yep. One of the lessons that was repeated during my time in the Navy was that the law of the country we were visiting had to be obeyed and respected, regardless of how we felt about said law. When in Rome.

Nope....would not buy under any circumstance whether it be my child or someone else's. Both my children survived not drinking on board until they were of legal age, which is 21. They are 22 and 28 now and are no worse for the wear that we followed the law. I'm no fool, I'm sure they drank at times while out with friends, etc, but we didn't condone it, especially while they were with us. We offered each of them while in Mexico, where they were legal, and both declined. Maybe instead of giving our under-aged kids watered-down drinks, we should be giving them an understanding that a great time can be had even without alcohol involved.

Absolutely not!!!! A person buying alcohol for an underage person can be held responsible for anything that may happen as a result of their drinking.

But then ..... I have more of an issue with young people drinking than I do with young people smoking pot.

One option is to simply wait until you reach one of the stops on the cruise as the majority of those countries will allow drinking at a younger age. So you can say "no" while on the ship and then enjoy a glass of wine with them once you are on dry land in another country. No laws broken.

1. To my fellow Americans and non-American friends. Let me remind you all or inform you that the reason the drinking age is 21 in the United States is that there was a study back in the 60's that correlated drunk driving deaths and accidents directly to age. The US Department of Transportation responded by threating to pull highway funds from any state that did not raise the drinking age to 21, all states complied except for Louisiana where the drinking age is still 18 to this day.

2. Depending on the line you sail determines how strictly they enforce the drinking age, along with what region you cruise. Carnival and NCL are a lot more lenient on underage drinking as long as you are 18, especially in European waters, where as RCCL is more strict. NCL even has a waiver for parent's/ guardians to sign if they have someone under 21 and they want them to be able to drink once they leave US waters.

3. To answer the question, for me it would depend. I normally don't buy drinks for people who ask, but I do ask pretty girls in the adult clubs if I can buy them a drink, where I make the assumption that they are at least 18.

Tougher question than one might think at first. Personally I disagree with the law so I am biased. Most laws in our county point to 18 as adulthood..I think US is one of the few in the world that require 21. I prefer 19 for all laws regarding adulthood. As for buying someone drinks...use careful consideration regardless of age.

1. To my fellow Americans and non-American friends. Let me remind you all or inform you that the reason the drinking age is 21 in the United States is that there was a study back in the 60's that correlated drunk driving deaths and accidents directly to age. The US Department of Transportation responded by threating to pull highway funds from any state that did not raise the drinking age to 21, all states complied except for Louisiana where the drinking age is still 18 to this day.

2. Depending on the line you sail determines how strictly they enforce the drinking age, along with what region you cruise. Carnival and NCL are a lot more lenient on underage drinking as long as you are 18, especially in European waters, where as RCCL is more strict. NCL even has a waiver for parent's/ guardians to sign if they have someone under 21 and they want them to be able to drink once they leave US waters.

3. To answer the question, for me it would depend. I normally don't buy drinks for people who ask, but I do ask pretty girls in the adult clubs if I can buy them a drink, where I make the assumption that they are at least 18.

Well, a lot of this is wrong.

MADD browbeat our congress(no caps now, they are unworthy) into passing an extortionate law that withheld federal highway money from states that didn't move the legal age for purchasing alcohol to 21. Nobody in congress had the stones to stand up and demand proof of MADD's statistics. Which doesn't exist. This was in the eighties.

Louisiana fought the system for about three years and realized that they were paying into the system and really couldn't do without the highway funds. Their alcohol purchase is now 21.

There is a guy on the internet with a standing offer of 50 grand if you can prove the stats that MADD presented congress as they lobbied for this injustice.

If you're old enough to vote and wear a uniform and die for your flag....

you're old enough to buy booze. Our spineless congress cannot grasp this reality.