Tip about Bar Harbor

RichRita

We booked a 3 hour tour with At Your Service while in Bar Harbor. Shared the tour with another couple on our roll call. The tour driver looked like she just came out of central casting for New England Resident. She was a retired school teacher and was very informative. I don't think we really missed out on anything in the area--she took us everywhere.

http://atyourservicetaxi.com/tour_home.html

• 1 month later...

Bar Harbor excursion: (note: tender port)

'Oli’s Trolley' (http://www.olistrolley.com) They have four different tours:

1. Acadia National Park Tour (2½ hours - $30ea)

2. Downtown Bar Harbor Tour (½ hour - $10ea)

3. Cadillac Mountain Tour (1 hour - $16ea)

4. Town of Mount Desert Tour (2½ hours - $25ea).

These are adult prices... children pricing is on the web site, along with time schedules.

[Note: The Acadia National Park Tour includes all of the Cadillac Mountain Tour itinerary, as well].

Refund Policy: All Tickets 24-hour cancellation notice is required for a full refund of tickets. A surcharge may apply for any ticket changes. No refunds will be given for missed tours. --Cruise ship passengers: If the cruise ship is unable to come into port call (207) 288-9899 with your order ID number for a full refund of tickets within 7 days of your tour date.

We have never taken a cruse to Bar harbor But we do go there every year . This year talked to some people on a cruse ship in port . We found out that they paid almost one hundred dollars each for a bus tour . TAKE A HINT you can just walk up to the top of the small hill and get a FREE bus to every thing in the Bar Harbor area . Save the money and buy a lobster for lunch

Rich Zuckett

I've cruised to Bar Harbor many times and agree with your advice to a point. We once did a tour of Acadia and loved it. The tour stopped for lobster lunch with steamers, corn, blueberry pie. We almost never do ship tours but that was a very pleasant 3+ hours. :)

Thanks for that info. We had already heard about Side Street Cafe so will try that. The menu had us drooling!

One trip we had lunch at West Street Café and another was lunch at Side Street Café. Both were good but I give a small edge to Side Street Café. :)

• 9 months later...
Virtually every restaurant in Bar Harbor serves lobster. Galyn's is only a couple of doors down from West Street Cafe and they are open year round. They have a fabulous early bird special for twin lobsters. Also I'd highly recommend Side Street Cafe - also open year round.

DH and I are going to be in Bar Harbor on the Veendam in late April, when a lot of seasonal places such as the West Side cafe are closed. Thanks for directing people to the places that will be open before the late Spring/Summer season officially starts. We were a little concerned there might not be a lot of choices for people who plan to explore the areas around town. Thanks again.

Lorie

Edited by galensgrl

Bar Harbor taxi service...post #24. I wouldn't use them again if we had the woman driver. Her idea of showing us some places was doing a drive by. :rolleyes: I think she was the wife of one of the owners.

I was/am getting confused on the names. At Your Service is the same as Bar Harbor Taxi, correct? I emailed barharbortaxi@gmail.com and Clare Bingham, the owner emailed me back.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

I'm just planning to take the Island Explorer Shuttle Bus to various places, including inside the park. In my notes I have that in the fall, the buses generally operate every 30 or 60 minutes depending upon destination. You don't pay park admission, which means you save around $20, I think. Gov site has map of routes.

I got the above info from one of these sites: exploreacadia.com or barharbormaine.gov

If your time is really limited, you might want to hire someone. However, if you get an early start, you can probably do just about anything with the bus and save quite a bit of money. The routes sound pretty all-encompassing. I splurge and do a helicopter ride to see lighthouses. I notice the place I'll need to go to is very close to an Island Explorer stop, which is nice.

I'm just planning to take the Island Explorer Shuttle Bus to various places, including inside the park. In my notes I have that in the fall, the buses generally operate every 30 or 60 minutes depending upon destination. You don't pay park admission, which means you save around $20, I think. ..........

I have to disagree with your source that you don't pay the park entry fee if you enter the park riding the Island Explorer. Everyone using Island Explorer to enter Acadia National Park is required to have an entry pass. The entry pass could be the NP senior pass for those who qualify but others are required to purchase a pass.

For the most part, the fall schedule follows the summer schedule as to frequency except the buses start running later and stop running earlier.

The 2015 schedule is here, but the 2016 should be the same.

SBtS

I have to disagree with your source that you don't pay the park entry fee if you enter the park riding the Island Explorer. Everyone using Island Explorer to enter Acadia National Park is required to have an entry pass. The entry pass could be the NP senior pass for those who qualify but others are required to purchase a pass.

For the most part, the fall schedule follows the summer schedule as to frequency except the buses start running later and stop running earlier.

The 2015 schedule is here, but the 2016 should be the same.

SBtS

Also, if it's foggy, am I correct in saying the buses don't go to Cadillac Mountain?

I've heard that and yet of all the multiple times I've ridden the IE bus over the years, they never asked to see my pass.:confused: We drive up so we always buy a pass, but I don't carry it with me. It stays in the glove box to show on occasions that we drive into the park.

YMMV

Also, if it's foggy, am I correct in saying the buses don't go to Cadillac Mountain?

Why wouldn't they? There is still lots to see even without the views. IMO the views are much better from smaller peaks that you can hike to anyway. Try South Bubble, North Bubble, Flying Mountain, Acadia Mountain, Connors Nubble, Gorham Mountain, etc.

BTW, my avatar is my dog on top of North Bubble.

Edited by portiemom

I've heard that and yet of all the multiple times I've ridden the IE bus over the years, they never asked to see my pass.:confused: We drive up so we always buy a pass, but I don't carry it with me. It stays in the glove box to show on occasions that we drive into the park.

There are only 2 bus routes that enter the park using the Park Loop Rd which requires the park entry fee. Routes 3 (Sand Beach/Blackwoods) & 4 (Loop Road) are the only routes that have the Park Loop Rd as part of their itinerary around the park, were you on either one?

Foggy or clear, no Island Explorer bus goes to the summit of Cadillac Mountain. 2 bus route pass by the trail head (North Ridge Trail) for the hike to the summit; and 2 bus routes pass by the start of the auto road to the summit, but IE just passes it by.

SBtS

We have never taken a cruse to Bar harbor But we do go there every year . This year talked to some people on a cruse ship in port . We found out that they paid almost one hundred dollars each for a bus tour . TAKE A HINT you can just walk up to the top of the small hill and get a FREE bus to every thing in the Bar Harbor area . Save the money and buy a lobster for lunch

Rich Zuckett

We will be on one of the last ships of the season to dock in Bar Harbor on 10/29/16. Is the bus service available that late in the season? :confused:

Here is a link which mentions a number of options in the Acadia area: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60709-s303/Bar-Harbor:Mount-Desert-Island:Public.Transportation.html

As with everything, I'd check to make sure the info is still accurate.

I don't know where I read that entry to Acadia (the park itself) is free if you're on the Island Express shuttle. The link above, however, clearly states that it isn't, so I'm a believer!

Nice to hear about the $10 Senior for life pass. I'll just buy one of those. It's a complete bargain for being able to visit multiple wonderful parks in the U.S.

As to whether IE shuttle runs at the end of October, I would think not, since the 2015 schedule has it shutting down mid-October. However, perhaps the link above will give you some other options. I think it said Oli's Trolley runs through Oct. 29 this year!

Edited by roothy123

There are only 2 bus routes that enter the park using the Park Loop Rd which requires the park entry fee. Routes 3 (Sand Beach/Blackwoods) & 4 (Loop Road) are the only routes that have the Park Loop Rd as part of their itinerary around the park, were you on either one?

Good question. We ride the bus to go into the park to hike, and most of our hikes start near Jordan Pond. I've been on the 4, but I might not have ridden it through the fee station. Is that the key? Do you need the pass only when you ride through the fee station near Sand Beach?

At any rate, supporting this gorgeous national park is more than worth the small entrance fee.

Good question. We ride the bus to go into the park to hike, and most of our hikes start near Jordan Pond. I've been on the 4, but I might not have ridden it through the fee station. Is that the key? Do you need the pass only when you ride through the fee station near Sand Beach?....

If you are starting your hikes at Jordan Pond then you do not go through the fee station if you take the direct bus to Jordan Pond (Route 5). And yes. the fee station is located on the Park Loop Road (one way portion) about 2 miles before Sand Beach and the pass is needed at the fee station to continue.

SBtS

If you are starting your hikes at Jordan Pond then you do not go through the fee station if you take the direct bus to Jordan Pond (Route 5). And yes. the fee station is located on the Park Loop Road (one way portion) about 2 miles before Sand Beach and the pass is needed at the fee station to continue.

SBtS

You are correct in stating that you do not need to go through the fee station when traveling to Jordan Pond. Neither would you need a pass to get to Jordan Pond House, which is a lovely restaurant that I highly recommend.

I am familiar with the Sand Beach fee station because I have been visiting the park regularly over the past 25 years.

Regarding riding the bus and needing a park pass, my husband asked a driver about this. He was told that it works on the honor system. They don't ask to see your pass when you board. They do not pull over at the fee station and ask anyone to show their pass or to buy one there. Also, I've never seen anyone asked to get off the bus because they didn't have a pass.

That's why initially I wasn't sure if I'd ridden through the fee station on the bus. Because surely I would have witnessed some kind of fuss at some point, when a patron didn't have their pass. But my husband assures me that we have been through the fee station on the bus. They simply don't check.

However, I do believe that everyone entering the park should purchase a pass. It is the right thing to do. Not only do we always buy a pass, we also donate to the park annually.

and find the best spot for lobster. This will be the same in most of the ports on our April cruise.

Be sure to bring a jacket preferably with a hood for April Canada/NE cruise. It likely will be chilly at least in the morning and showers in April are rather common. (Makes for hopefully green summer lawns. :) )

Bar Harbor is a fine place to walk around on your own or even to the hop on hop off.

You are correct in stating that you do not need to go through the fee station when traveling to Jordan Pond. Neither would you need a pass to get to Jordan Pond House, which is a lovely restaurant that I highly recommend.

I am familiar with the Sand Beach fee station because I have been visiting the park regularly over the past 25 years.

Regarding riding the bus and needing a park pass, ........

I sent an email to the address provided on the Island Explorer contact us page, info@exploreacadia.com. I asked - If I am on a bus that uses the Park Loop Road, will I have to pay the park entry fee? The reply I received from Paul Murphy, General Manager was - Everyone using Island Explorer to enter Acadia National Park is required to have an entry pass.

Maybe some drivers do not enforce this rule.

SBtS