Tip about Bar Harbor

RichRita

I sent an email to the address provided on the Island Explorer contact us page, info@exploreacadia.com. I asked - If I am on a bus that uses the Park Loop Road, will I have to pay the park entry fee? The reply I received from Paul Murphy, General Manager was - Everyone using Island Explorer to enter Acadia National Park is required to have an entry pass.

Maybe some drivers do not enforce this rule.

SBtS

I'm not surprised by that reply. Everyone should buy a pass. But I am curious as to why you have not stated your own firsthand experience with the Island Explorer. If you are replying to posts here, surely you ride it, right? Why haven't you simply relayed your own experience vs. writing an e-mail to the General Manager and giving us a canned response?

Our party of 6 bought the family/group ticket for $25, which we were never asked to show, so it looks like the honour system applies. I have no idea how many people ride for free but I imagine most do buy a ticket, as it's a great service which must need a bit of funding.

We only had a short port day so just did this. I thought about going for a swim at Sand Beach but that's as far as it went - a thought. A few days earlier we had been in Bermuda and were somewhat spoiled by the water temperature there :D

All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]ohoSzar_dyY[/YOUTUBE]

I'm not surprised by that reply. Everyone should buy a pass. But I am curious as to why you have not stated your own firsthand experience with the Island Explorer. If you are replying to posts here, surely you ride it, right? Why haven't you simply relayed your own experience vs. writing an e-mail to the General Manager and giving us a canned response?

I had a question that I wanted an offical answer for not based on someone's experience so I went to the source to get that answer which was also my experience.

I don't understand what your point is by writing it is a "canned response":confused:, please explain; does it make the reply less valid?

As for a review, currently there are 788 reviews of Arcadia National Park Island Explorer Bus on TripAdvisor. If I were to write a review, I could not add more to what has already been posted.

SBtS

I have a van booked and will share with two other couples from our roll call. :D

How many can fit on the Van, who is it rented with ( company) and what is the cost and where are you going. We're 6 and might be interested in joining you. I organized all private tours with cruise critic members on our transatlantic tour this past fall.

• 3 months later...
I would like to see Arcadia and go up Cadillac Mountain. We are not hikers. I like the idea of HOHO and the price but it sounds like the bus doesn't go up the mountain. Please advise for a September 4 date

There are a number of ways to get to the top of Cadillac Mountain - hike up, bike up, private tour, cruise ship excursion, and tour company but the Island Explorer (free public bus) does not go there. You will see Arcadia but no CM.

SBtS

I would like to see Arcadia and go up Cadillac Mountain. We are not hikers. I like the idea of HOHO and the price but it sounds like the bus doesn't go up the mountain. Please advise for a September 4 date

If getting to the top of Cadillac Mountain is your goal then try Ollie's Trolley Tours. https://olistrolley.com/activities/cadillac-mountain-tour/. They come highly recommended and are not that expensive.

You really don't have very many other options. Just be aware that getting to the top is one thing, having a nice day and a good view is another.

Cheers

Len

If getting to the top of Cadillac Mountain is your goal then try Ollie's Trolley Tours. https://olistrolley.com/activities/cadillac-mountain-tour/. They come highly recommended and are not that expensive.

You really don't have very many other options. Just be aware that getting to the top is one thing, having a nice day and a good view is another.

Cheers

Len

I took them last year-- really enjoyed it. Sit on the driver's side (according to my driver-- I couldn't because of my knee and still enjoyed myself)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

napunani,

Am also with you on this final New England voyage of CB this October.

Island Explorer bus service runs through Columbus Day, October 10th.

It appears they are not running this service at the time of our visit.

There is a 'Down East' bus service from the came company at the time we are there, but this looks to be more of a local commuter service and not ideal for us as tourists visiting that day.

• 3 weeks later...

As you've heard the bus does not go up Cadillac. Acadia National Park is having their 100th anniversary, so it has been very busy on the island. My understanding is that the road to the top of Cadillac is being closed off as needed, there are only so many parking spots along the route and it has been getting over crowded, therefore tours might work in reverse, or if you are going by car you might have a wait before you can get to Cadillac Mountain.

Just an FYI - the park is named Acadia not Arcadia .... :)

Enjoy your visit --- It is a beautiful area - Jan

Edited by Jan_In_Maine

If we do a two hour ship tour that just does the 27 mile loop road in Acadia National Park, will we see full colors of the fall folliage, or is a longer more in depth tour of the park necessary for that? We will be in Bar Harbor on Oct. 11.

Thanks so much for any help!

Ellie

Interesting question .... great time of the year to visit the park - hopefully it should be great "leaf peeping time".

There are a lot of evergreen trees in Maine, but there should be a lot of regular trees also, the views from the mountain should be lovely. I would think the loop road should give lots of color......but the whole island is beautiful!

If we do a two hour ship tour that just does the 27 mile loop road in Acadia National Park, will we see full colors of the fall folliage, or is a longer more in depth tour of the park necessary for that? We will be in Bar Harbor on Oct. 11.

I think you'll be in Acadia at very close to peak foliage. A 2 hour tour would be, to me, a short tour, but you will be there long enough to get some very good views.

Does the ship tour include a visit to the summit of Cadillac Mountain? Or does it just do the Park Loop Road?

If your ship tour doesn't do the summit, book a tour with an independent that includes a stop there. Oli's Trolley would be one or Acadia National Park Tours would be another.

SBtS

Interesting question .... great time of the year to visit the park - hopefully it should be great "leaf peeping time".

There are a lot of evergreen trees in Maine, but there should be a lot of regular trees also, the views from the mountain should be lovely. I would think the loop road should give lots of color......but the whole island is beautiful!

Thanks so much! There is another slightly longer tour that includes Cadillac Mountain as well as the Loop road. Is Cadillac Mountain a "don't miss"? Should we do that one instead?

Thanks again!

Ellie

Thanks so much! There is another slightly longer tour that includes Cadillac Mountain as well as the Loop road. Is Cadillac Mountain a "don't miss"? Should we do that one instead?

Yes, any excursion you do whether from the cruise ship or private must include the summit of CM, and pray for a fogless day.

SBtS

Just got back from our latest trip to Bar Harbor and Acadia. This year we timed our visit to be in town for the Fourth of July and Acadia's Centennial.

Most of our visits are in the fall. Oct. 11 could be spectacular or just past the fall foliage peak. The colors should be excellent. There are websites that monitor and report on fall foliage in Maine. You will see color on your Park Loop Road trip but for the best fall foliage views, I would recommend getting to a mountain top. Cadillac Mountain is the only mountain in ANP with a road.

This year's attendance in the park has been up by 20%, so at times they are closing the road up Cadillac Mountain. Now it's likely that once we get into fall, and especially in Oct., that the crowds will dissipate and you will have no issues with road closures.

While views from the top of Cadillac Mtn. are great, I find the views from the pullouts on the way up the road are better. Also, if you are capable of hiking, take a walk up one of the smaller peaks. I promise you it is absolutely worth it. My favorites that are doable for most people in good health are Great Head (near Sand Beach), Gorham Mountain, or South Bubble. Great Head and Gorham Mountain have excellent ocean views. South Bubble is best for fall foliage and it overlooks Jordan Pond. All are accessible by riding the Island Explorer bus. If you can't hike up for the views from the top, at least get off the bus at Bubble Pond or Jordan Pond and walk to the edge of the water. Absolutely stunning at any time of year.

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...
If your ship tour doesn't do the summit, book a tour with an independent that includes a stop there. Oli's Trolley would be one or Acadia National Park Tours would be another.

Is one provider better than the other? We're going to be in Bar Harbor at the end of the month on Anthem. The last tender is at 5:30pm. I was thinking of doing the 2pm tour on either of these but want to make sure I'll get back in time. Oli's also has a 1pm tour but We are doing the Lulu Lobster Boat in the morning and want to make sure we have enough time for lunch so I am concerned that the 1pm tour might be cutting it tight, especially if we have to wait to be seated.

Is one provider better than the other? We're going to be in Bar Harbor at the end of the month on Anthem. The last tender is at 5:30pm. I was thinking of doing the 2pm tour on either of these but want to make sure I'll get back in time. Oli's also has a 1pm tour but We are doing the Lulu Lobster Boat in the morning and want to make sure we have enough time for lunch so I am concerned that the 1pm tour might be cutting it tight, especially if we have to wait to be seated.

Oli's is the more popular one based on the reviews in TripAdvisor, but they both have an excellent rating.

I'm assuming you booked the Cadillac Mountain tour with Oli's. I did not see such a short tour with the other. Both tour operations know the departure time of the cruise ships in port, and will get you back on time.

Anyway a 1 hour tour is usually one hour unless you're on the S.S. Minnow:D.

SBtS

Oli's is the more popular one based on the reviews in TripAdvisor, but they both have an excellent rating.

I'm assuming you booked the Cadillac Mountain tour with Oli's. I did not see such a short tour with the other. Both tour operations know the departure time of the cruise ships in port, and will get you back on time.

I was going to do the full 2.5 hour tour since we've never been there before. I have not booked anything. Oli's makes you prepay, the other one you just make a reservation and show up, it seems (unless they follow up and tell you how to pay in advance).

BTW I just checked the Royal Caribbean Cruise Planner and they want $55.75 for the 2.5 hour Acadia tour that you can get for $30-32 on your own. Amazing.

Edited by MisterBill99

Just got back from our latest trip to Bar Harbor and Acadia. This year we timed our visit to be in town for the Fourth of July and Acadia's Centennial.

Most of our visits are in the fall. Oct. 11 could be spectacular or just past the fall foliage peak. The colors should be excellent. There are websites that monitor and report on fall foliage in Maine. You will see color on your Park Loop Road trip but for the best fall foliage views, I would recommend getting to a mountain top. Cadillac Mountain is the only mountain in ANP with a road.

This year's attendance in the park has been up by 20%, so at times they are closing the road up Cadillac Mountain. Now it's likely that once we get into fall, and especially in Oct., that the crowds will dissipate and you will have no issues with road closures.

While views from the top of Cadillac Mtn. are great, I find the views from the pullouts on the way up the road are better. Also, if you are capable of hiking, take a walk up one of the smaller peaks. I promise you it is absolutely worth it. My favorites that are doable for most people in good health are Great Head (near Sand Beach), Gorham Mountain, or South Bubble. Great Head and Gorham Mountain have excellent ocean views. South Bubble is best for fall foliage and it overlooks Jordan Pond. All are accessible by riding the Island Explorer bus. If you can't hike up for the views from the top, at least get off the bus at Bubble Pond or Jordan Pond and walk to the edge of the water. Absolutely stunning at any time of year.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the report.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm trying to decide on Acadia NP Tours or Oli's. My main interest is to view the beautiful scenery - Cadillac Mt is not a requirement. My decision will be based on the walking distance from the tender port to the bus/trolley entrance. I'm able to walk but I have arthritis in my knees, so I do prefer less walking. I'll be there the end of September. I recall reading on other reviews that Boarding the I.E. Bus can be iffy based on crowds. That's why I'm deciding between ANP and Oli. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have researched this a bit and i think the ACP tour is a little later than olis so if you miss one you can take the other. I also think they leave from same place. Oli probably will have seats with no glass in the way if you're a photographer. For Explorer bus, look at their website late in Sept on a cruise day to get an idea of whether they have a lot of people on the buses you want. That info is shown in real time on the bus site. I was told by the tourism folkz in Bar Harbor that you can buy a park ticket at the bus stop at village green. Bus looks to be more of a walk than where the bus or trolley tours are, though, but perhaps someone can confirm that as well as other info I've given.