Problem with Dynamic Dining

bh9885

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but, is there a buffet on the DD ships. We are booked on the Anthem, but looking at the menus, some of us are thinking about changing cruises due to the high end menus even in the free restaurants. Veteran cruisers all, we would like to see some plain old fashioned meals rather than the high falluting sounding meals. The pay for restaurants do have a lot of good sounding meals, but paying a minimum of $20 per meal for ten of us, times a couple of nights make us question the entire costs of the cruise. Yes, we know steaks are there, but the sides are a little out of there for us plain folks. Understand, we all have been on 7 to 36 cruises and have high end palate experience, just doesn't sound like a wanted meal experience. Probably would like to hit a buffet after the DD experience.
There is a menu similar to the "Always Available" menu for DD.

Not quite so simple as menus remain the same so you'd have the same menu selections every night. For me, I like having the same table companions each night. I also like not having to plan months in advance when and where I'm going to eat. Also, suppose I do book all these different restaurants for the trip and discover on night two that I really enjoy that restaurant and want to go back only to find it booked for the rest of the trip. Don't think this concept will work for me.

This concept is made to work for them not for us. Keep that in mind

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

This is from a passenger currently on the Quantum experiencing Dynamic Dining;

The majority of specialty restaurants are long since booked up. We ARE Diamond and even with the Concierge's help couldn't book Chops or Jamie's for dinner. The free restaurants have been easier to rebook and we easily made a 6pm reservation at American Icon and Chic just 2 days in advance.

Understandably the Speciality will be booked up, they are rather small, but if you want to change complimentary restaurants then you can do that easily

Is it just me or do others see an end game here as well? Royal is going to incrementally make it so for dining you have the Windjammer free and ALL pay venues otherwise.

They could not do this with a main dining room. It would have to be done all at once. Am I being too much of a conspiracy theorist?

I wouldn't go so far to say "conspiracy theorist" but maybe "jumping to conclusions". While it makes that move possible-- in theory-- it's going to take other lines making or aiming to make that move for it to stick.

It's been said that RCL isn't doing this for the passengers, but for them. I wouldn't be so quick to label it cause-and-effect like that. There's someone (or a group of someones) at the Head Office who thinks this will enhance the vacation experience and persuade people to choose RCL over the competitors. However, I don't believe changing from the simpler, semi "assembly line" format of the MDR to introduce a number of smaller assembly lines each with lower volume was taken lightly. With a stroke of a pen things were made infinitely more complex, and the cost had to have increased as a result. Further increase when you consider changing ships built with an MDR to DD. This move didn't make things easier or cheaper for RCL in any way. RCL's putting a bunch of chips on this number hoping it comes up with a payday.

It sounds shady and underhanded, but consider the "Windjammer Free, other venues pay" concept if your trip was going to cost roughly 60-75% the cost of the same itinerary on a competing ship? Factor it in where you end up with some doggone good savings if you hit the Jammer every night, you about break even by adding the lower Specialty Venues, and the excuse of "we paid for the MDR, I'm not paying an extra $30 for a Specialty restaurant" is negated.

As has been said elsewhere, if you go on a regular land vacation, most times you have to figure where you're going to eat that night anyway.

I wouldn't go so far to say "conspiracy theorist" but maybe "jumping to conclusions". While it makes that move possible-- in theory-- it's going to take other lines making or aiming to make that move for it to stick.

It's been said that RCL isn't doing this for the passengers, but for them. I wouldn't be so quick to label it cause-and-effect like that. There's someone (or a group of someones) at the Head Office who thinks this will enhance the vacation experience and persuade people to choose RCL over the competitors. However, I don't believe changing from the simpler, semi "assembly line" format of the MDR to introduce a number of smaller assembly lines each with lower volume was taken lightly. With a stroke of a pen things were made infinitely more complex, and the cost had to have increased as a result. Further increase when you consider changing ships built with an MDR to DD. This move didn't make things easier or cheaper for RCL in any way. RCL's putting a bunch of chips on this number hoping it comes up with a payday.

It sounds shady and underhanded, but consider the "Windjammer Free, other venues pay" concept if your trip was going to cost roughly 60-75% the cost of the same itinerary on a competing ship? Factor it in where you end up with some doggone good savings if you hit the Jammer every night, you about break even by adding the lower Specialty Venues, and the excuse of "we paid for the MDR, I'm not paying an extra $30 for a Specialty restaurant" is negated.

As has been said elsewhere, if you go on a regular land vacation, most times you have to figure where you're going to eat that night anyway.

Some like to consider this a conspiracy because, to them, there is simply nothing wrong with dining. These folks, for a variety of reasons, like dining the way it is and see no rationale reasons for the change. Royal must have something nefarious in mind, hence the conspiracy theories. One poster even saw DD as a way to discourage those with children cruising on Royal.

Of course, Royal is instituting Dynamic Dining 'for them'. The only reason there is a cruise line named Royal Caribbean is 'for them'. This isn't a hobby, it's a profit making company who can only increase their market share by providing a better product at a fair price than their competition. You are right about their research and the fact they've put a lot of chips on the table. They are betting their targeted demographic will like the improvements to the dining experience. But, they bet those chips 'for them'selves.

Edited by RocketMan275

I think that folks at the Head Office have done a bit of "putting the brakes on" some of the ships' conversion. Officers during the late summer on FR were telling folks that the ship would have DD after its Jan. 2015 drydock -- now they are saying that it is not going to be instituted at that time. They could do this sometime in the future but not immediately -- they seem to have hit some some roadblocks due to the ship's structure etc. and also want to see how DD plays out on QN and OA class ships.

But you might find that this the point many are trying to make,

"I'm not going on a "regular land vacation" I'm gong on a cruise and I want a cruise, when I want a land based vacation I'll take when, but when I take a cruise that's what I'd like to get. If I want a theme park I'll go to one."

And I have to say they have a point, even if you don't agree with that point.

Obviously with DD the line is hoping to attract enough who want a land based vacation at sea [and that group may be more profitable per head, but also may provide less repeat business] to make up for any that change companies because they want a cruise. Time will tell how the gamble pays off.

I think that folks at the Head Office have done a bit of "putting the brakes on" some of the ships' conversion. Officers during the late summer on FR were telling folks that the ship would have DD after its Jan. 2015 drydock -- now they are saying that it is not going to be instituted at that time. They could do this sometime in the future but not immediately -- they seem to have hit some some roadblocks due to the ship's structure etc. and also want to see how DD plays out on QN and OA class ships.

I personally think this was a wise decision to wait it out!

I personally think this was a wise decision to wait it out!

Totally agree -- They have a lot of kinks to work out even on purpose built ships (let alone ships built for the MDR) For example, I've been reading a thread of a couple sailing with their almost 4 year old on QU. No kids menu in the first restaurant they went to American Icon and they were told that kids just get smaller servings of regular menu items and none of the restaurants had kids menus. The father said that his daughter would not eat anything on the menu and the waiter told them to go to the WJ. The next day he got a call from I think the Hotel Director to have coffee and they talked about this problem. Kids menus were added to the complimentary venues (not sure about the Specialty Restaurants). His daughter was happy with her menu. Good move by RCI but they may not have anticipated the problem until QU started sailings.

For OA, they have made changes during dry-dock but will not institute DD until March 14, 2015.

Folks are saying that the food is good but that the staff is watching menu items carefully to see what people like or don't like.

Totally agree -- They have a lot of kinks to work out even on purpose built ships (let alone ships built for the MDR) For example, I've been reading a thread of a couple sailing with their almost 4 year old on QU. No kids menu in the first restaurant they went to American Icon and they were told that kids just get smaller servings of regular menu items and none of the restaurants had kids menus. The father said that his daughter would not eat anything on the menu and the waiter told them to go to the WJ. The next day he got a call from I think the Hotel Director to have coffee and they talked about this problem. Kids menus were added to the complimentary venues (not sure about the Specialty Restaurants). His daughter was happy with her menu. Good move by RCI but they may not have anticipated the problem until QU started sailings.

For OA, they have made changes during dry-dock but will not institute DD until March 14, 2015.

Folks are saying that the food is good but that the staff is watching menu items carefully to see what people like or don't like.

In fairness, the thread you have been reading is regarding what is effectively a stress test for the crew.

I don't see how a kids menu being missing is a major problem with Dynamic Dining considering how quickly they resolved the issue, literally 3 days after the ship began taking paying passengers.

Of course the staff are watching the food feedback carefully. If you run any kind of business, if you don't listen to customer feedback, you can't improve

If that's the plan, RCI is doing a pitiful job of implementing that strategy.

There are as many seats in the complimentary venues for dynamic dining as they are in traditional dining. If you doubt that, there are deck plans for Oasis with Dynamic Dining and Allure without. The amount of floor space allocated to complimentary dining does not change.

There is no need to conjure up conspiracy theories to explain why Royal is implementing Dynamic Dining. Royal is simply trying to improve the cruising experience and attracting new customers.

The big difference is that we never need to book traditional dining, other than selecting your preferred time. With DD you need to book ahead and if the

venue you choose is booked up - where is your choice?

But a cruise is not like a regular land vacation. It's more like an AI, where you don't have to figure out where you're going to eat each night.

In fairness, the thread you have been reading is regarding what is effectively a stress test for the crew.

I don't see how a kids menu being missing is a major problem with Dynamic Dining considering how quickly they resolved the issue, literally 3 days after the ship began taking paying passengers.

Of course the staff are watching the food feedback carefully. If you run any kind of business, if you don't listen to customer feedback, you can't improve

Your reply is a bit snarky. I'm just reporting what I have been reading.

The big difference is that we never need to book traditional dining, other than selecting your preferred time. With DD you need to book ahead and if the

venue you choose is booked up - where is your choice?

You are trying to set an impossible standard. No, there isn't enough room in every venue to seat every passenger at the time of his choice. But, at least with Dynamic Dining you do have choices not like traditional dining where your only choice was the MDR or the buffet.

You are trying to set an impossible standard. No, there isn't enough room in every venue to seat every passenger at the time of his choice. But, at least with Dynamic Dining you do have choices not like traditional dining where your only choice was the MDR or the buffet.

You keep assuming it's a choice that everyone wants. I've been on a lot of family land vacations where we spent way too much time deciding what to do for dinner. All of our family cruises there wasn't any issues.

I really don't care about DD, because unfortunately I was forced into trying it. I don't know how to make you DD cheerleaders understand. I don't want all of those choices, the less complications the better. While it may sound rigid to you, just please acknowledge there are other opinions.

You keep assuming it's a choice that everyone wants. I've been on a lot of family land vacations where we spent way too much time deciding what to do for dinner. All of our family cruises there wasn't any issues.

I really don't care about DD, because unfortunately I was forced into trying it. I don't know how to make you DD cheerleaders understand. I don't want all of those choices, the less complications the better. While it may sound rigid to you, just please acknowledge there are other opinions.

Agree!!

Just joining in on this thread and had a question. If I was to book the Quantum for this upcoming march say in the next few weeks do you think I would be able to make reservations for dining and entertainment or am I to late? Is everything booked up?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just joining in on this thread and had a question. If I was to book the Quantum for this upcoming march say in the next few weeks do you think I would be able to make reservations for dining and entertainment or am I to late? Is everything booked up?

If you call Royal, they should be able to answer that question.

Okay I understand your frustration if you are forced into it, but please don't board the ship feeling negative about DD, not only will it mean you have limited experience in what DD, but you will never change your view on it.

Experience it, many onboard right now have said that they didn't like the sound of it but have thoroughly enjoyed it.

For most, choosing where to eat is great, it provides more opportunities to try new things, if you don't like having choice then you know after this forced cruise that you shouldn't book a ship that has DD.

Royal need to change to adapt to new cruisers. They make less and less money off C&A members for every night they sail because they spend more on the rewards. Having new cruisers not only brings more people to the industry as a whole, but also allows them to learn what it is that stops people taking their first cruise. They've obviously done their research and found that many people don't like traditional dining, or formal nights, and so are working on a solution for them (my TA said that most people who book cruises through her ask if the formal nights are compulsory)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

People onboard have been saying it was easy to get a table onboard in the complimentary, but not so much the speciality. Also has been mentioned that if you go to the website and it says booked, give them a call as they can still book you in over the phone.