Problem with Dynamic Dining

bh9885

This restaurant that is suites only, is it open to everyone else but at a charge or is it literally just suites only?

Cause if it is just for suites I cannot really see the point, there's only a certain amount of suite guests and I'm sure they won't all visit the suite only restaurant every night

Very well thought out but I'm still not convinced. Why can't I make people understand, it's not that I don't like DD, I prefer traditional dining. I hate having to waste my time making seven reservations instead of one. I want the same waiters, and I want the same table mates. Why don't you understand it's what I want? Getting that is impossible with DD. Even if you got the exact same time, and the same restaurant every night, there is no guarantee you will get the same table.

1. You are being told when to have dinner because so many slots are closed there is barely any choice. You still have to schedule around your entertainment, which will further limit your choices.

2. Three or four different choices of the same menu each night. The menu changes every night in the traditional MDR. I have reviewed all of the menus in each of the venues, there are barely 2-3 dishes total that I would order. Most nights I'll be ordering from the plain food section. We don't like the WJ for dinner, and I'm not paying for dinner a second time in a specialty restaurant. We have tried Chops and did not think it was worth the money.

3. You will deal with the exact same issues with DD. And it may happen every night. If you don't want to deal with anyone get a table for two. I want those first night strangers to be friends at the end of the cruise.

4. Formal wear has been a thing of the past for ten years. What you wear to the MDR is your choice, no one is forcing you to wear anything but clothes. I happen to like the special event of formal night. BTW airlines have had weight limits for a very long time.

5. Just look at it this way, now you will have 7 different shots at sub-par service. Do you think DD will magically remove sub-par service?

We are going to give it a try only because it was forced on us after we had already made our reservation and plans. In the future we will try to avoid it, but if we can't, we will make sure there is enough to offset.

I respect you have a different opinion. Please stop telling me 'try it you'll like it'. Because what I want from a cruise is different than you.

Well said.:)

We are fussy eaters with food sensitivity problems as well, and have been happy with MDR seating.

We like to eat early. Eating late isn't an option due to low blood sugar issues. WJ for dinner isn't what we paid for in our cruise experience. We won't have to try it until Allure/16, so maybe by then it will work for all?

Edited by CVU

steveru621, there are still several cruise lines that do traditional dining such as Princess, HAL and Celebrity. (I'm sure there are others as well.) Sorry you got stuck in a situation where the cruise line decided to change over dining styles after you booked. I know that can be disconcerting and disappointing when you are expecting one experience and get another. Have you thought about calling RCCL and asking to switch to another cruise where the ship does not yet have dynamic dining? For example Allure? Even if you have put down a deposit, most cruise lines will let you choose a different cruise. I had to do that after my mother passed away and I was caring for my 90 year old father - I was afraid to go to Europe as I could not get back as easily as I can from the Caribbean. The cruise line was fine with changing my booking to another cruise.

steveru621, there are still several cruise lines that do traditional dining such as Princess, HAL and Celebrity. (I'm sure there are others as well.) Sorry you got stuck in a situation where the cruise line decided to change over dining styles after you booked. I know that can be disconcerting and disappointing when you are expecting one experience and get another. Have you thought about calling RCCL and asking to switch to another cruise where the ship does not yet have dynamic dining? For example Allure? Even if you have put down a deposit, most cruise lines will let you choose a different cruise. I had to do that after my mother passed away and I was caring for my 90 year old father - I was afraid to go to Europe as I could not get back as easily as I can from the Caribbean. The cruise line was fine with changing my booking to another cruise.

Thanks, we DD disappointed passengers like a little sympathy. :D

We chose 12/12 because December cruises are starting to become a tradition for us. Cape Liberty was chosen because it's a short drive to the pier, and we don't have to spend hours in an airport or on a plane. Finnally we only needed 8 more nights to make D+, which really was the deciding factor. There are relatively fewer cruises that are over 7 nights. Lastly we had the added benefit of a brand new cruise ship.

So we decided to stick with it and give DD a try. The benefits definitely out-weight the one negative. And to be fair, there is usually one negative on every cruise. But, we love RCI.

For 2015 we will be on ships that, so far, are traditional dining, so it really won't come to a decision until 2016 selections. We probably will try to avoid DD, but not to the detriment of our overall cruise goals.

Lastly since we'll be at the highest level we expect to achieve on RCCL (D+), we will probably try Celebrity.

Enjoy your future cruises.

This restaurant that is suites only, is it open to everyone else but at a charge or is it literally just suites only?

Cause if it is just for suites I cannot really see the point, there's only a certain amount of suite guests and I'm sure they won't all visit the suite only restaurant every night

Coastal Kitchens is only for suite guests. The only way to dine there is to book a suite. CK is much smaller than the other dining venues, I think it seats around 150, about a third the size of the other complimentary dining rooms on Quantum, so it doesn't appear it will be underutilized. And, yes, the suite guests can use all the other venues too.

Coastal Kitchens is only for suite guests. The only way to dine there is to book a suite. CK is much smaller than the other dining venues, I think it seats around 150, about a third the size of the other complimentary dining rooms on Quantum, so it doesn't appear it will be underutilized. And, yes, the suite guests can use all the other venues too.

And even smaller on Oasis I believe

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=44627640#post44627640

"We had no problems booking dynamic dining before boarding and ate at American icon grille last night. Amazing food, amazing service and we were asked to share but as it was the first night of our honeymoon we had a very quiet table without question and a smile."

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2116512&page=32

"5. Dinner was at American Icon Grill, and for my first experience with Dynamic Dining, I love it! We arrived at the restaurant at our reservation time, 8:45pm, and there was a short line. When we reached the door, the host asked if we'd like to sit alone or with others, we said with others, and sat at a 10 top with 8 other lovely folks. The timing worked out so that we all were sat around the same time and ordered at the same time.

6. Wine continued to be free at dinner, and the pours were very generous. Thank you Royal!!!

7. I had the Clam Chowder and Southwestern Fettuccine, both were delicious. DH also had the Pretzel wrapped hotdogs, which were good. Bread was out on the table vs. someone carrying a basket around. One can order as much as one wants.

8. Service was great, but different because the server didn't give the standard "spiel" of introductions, Wow cards, etc. I missed it, but because the last cruises, the staff fought so hard to get the Wow card, it was getting a little tiring. I don't know if Wow cards are being given out for this sailing; we didn't receive them.

9. We were stuffed and didn't have desert."

Real life experience from someone with experience is all that matters

150 guests a night when it's limited to suite guests is still going to make it the most under-utilised restaurant on the ship. It would make a little more sense if D & D Plus or even it being a speciality for none suite guests.

I believe during the day it's open as the Solarium Bistro, but I just can't see a Suite only restaurant of that size being worth the effort

I have just been on the phone to crown and anchor about dynamic dining. Our booking on rci website is still showing traditional 8.30pm and crown and anchor have said this will be what we get as we booked early. Don't know how accurate this is so will keep checking. They said we will be in one part of the dining room but i'm not convinced at the moment

I don't for the life of me understand why they don't simply keep one of the multiple dining rooms as traditional at least until they can be sure that no one wants it.

It seems to me that there are a lot of people who still want the same table, the same table mates the same waiter and the same time every night.

But I can only assume that they know what they are doing.

150 guests a night when it's limited to suite guests is still going to make it the most under-utilised restaurant on the ship. It would make a little more sense if D & D Plus or even it being a speciality for none suite guests.

I believe during the day it's open as the Solarium Bistro, but I just can't see a Suite only restaurant of that size being worth the effort

If you are referring to Oasis, which is how I read it, CK will be open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. There are a substantial number of suites that can utilize this. Plus, as it serves complimentary drinks with lunch, I think it will be fully utilized.

I don't know where you got Solarium Bistro for daytime from, especially as complimentary drinks which is part of the suite perks.:confused: my understanding is it will be suites only as per the evening.

Edited by Spurschick

Well said.

Sheri and Paul have also done a great job of illustrating the problems many of us have with DD. Many of us understand the concept and don't like it. Many of us don't need to waste a week and thousands of dollars to confirm the problems with DD.

Glad to see someone who is like minded. Your comment about the cost to try DD to be open minded should be a consideration. We may try DD if it is on a ship we want to sail on but will weigh the costs.

I'm wondering if anyone can answer a fairly simple question about DD that I haven't been able to get an answer to.

If everyone on board wants free venues can they all be served between 6:00 an 10:00.

Back before Any/My/Select time dining, every ship could. Since those being introduced I believe that most, probably all ships, could. Looking at the numbers I have been able to find I'm not sure that will continue to be the situation.

I'm wondering if anyone can answer a fairly simple question about DD that I haven't been able to get an answer to.

If everyone on board wants free venues can they all be served between 6:00 an 10:00.

Back before Any/My/Select time dining, every ship could. Since those being introduced I believe that most, probably all ships, could. Looking at the numbers I have been able to find I'm not sure that will continue to be the situation.

Don't know about Quantum, but as far as Oasis goes, they would seem to have the same space as before since the MDR space was used for the free restaurants. The big question is how long before one or more of the free restaurants becomes extra cost.

Don't know about Quantum, but as far as Oasis goes, they would seem to have the same space as before since the MDR space was used for the free restaurants. The big question is how long before one or more of the free restaurants becomes extra cost.

Agree, and with Coastal Kitchen added for suite guests that will also likely relieve some of the pressure on dining demands. Given Oasis has a high number of fee restaurants as well that I understand are quite heavily utilized, I don't see any major issues.

Is it just me or do others see an end game here as well? Royal is going to incrementally make it so for dining you have the Windjammer free and ALL pay venues otherwise.

They could not do this with a main dining room. It would have to be done all at once. Am I being too much of a conspiracy theorist?

If you are referring to Oasis, which is how I read it, CK will be open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. There are a substantial number of suites that can utilize this. Plus, as it serves complimentary drinks with lunch, I think it will be fully utilized.

I don't know where you got Solarium Bistro for daytime from, especially as complimentary drinks which is part of the suite perks.:confused: my understanding is it will be suites only as per the evening.

I'm referring to Quantum, from what I read it is the Solarium Bistro (being that it's in the Solariun) during the day

Is it just me or do others see an end game here as well? Royal is going to incrementally make it so for dining you have the Windjammer free and ALL pay venues otherwise.

They could not do this with a main dining room. It would have to be done all at once. Am I being too much of a conspiracy theorist?

I think it's a strong possibility.

Agreed. I think they are headed in that direction too.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but, is there a buffet on the DD ships. We are booked on the Anthem, but looking at the menus, some of us are thinking about changing cruises due to the high end menus even in the free restaurants. Veteran cruisers all, we would like to see some plain old fashioned meals rather than the high falluting sounding meals. The pay for restaurants do have a lot of good sounding meals, but paying a minimum of $20 per meal for ten of us, times a couple of nights make us question the entire costs of the cruise. Yes, we know steaks are there, but the sides are a little out of there for us plain folks. Understand, we all have been on 7 to 36 cruises and have high end palate experience, just doesn't sound like a wanted meal experience. Probably would like to hit a buffet after the DD experience.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but, is there a buffet on the DD ships. We are booked on the Anthem, but looking at the menus, some of us are thinking about changing cruises due to the high end menus even in the free restaurants. Veteran cruisers all, we would like to see some plain old fashioned meals rather than the high falluting sounding meals. The pay for restaurants do have a lot of good sounding meals, but paying a minimum of $20 per meal for ten of us, times a couple of nights make us question the entire costs of the cruise. Yes, we know steaks are there, but the sides are a little out of there for us plain folks. Understand, we all have been on 7 to 36 cruises and have high end palate experience, just doesn't sound like a wanted meal experience. Probably would like to hit a buffet after the DD experience.

Yes, there's still a Windjammer buffet on ships with DD.

They simply wouldn't do that, because nobody is going to pay the price of the cruise if only the Windjammer is available in the cost, it just wouldn't be a good business decision unless they significantly reduced the price of the cruise

They simply wouldn't do that, because nobody is going to pay the price of the cruise if only the Windjammer is available in the cost, it just wouldn't be a good business decision unless they significantly reduced the price of the cruise

Agreed. A lot of cruisers are simply not a fan of the Windjammer. I know I sure am not. Its pretty much a last resort for me and NEVER during dinner.

I think they will lose a lot of customers if they went to an all pay except buffet dining concept. Losing customers doesnt seem to bother them though so who knows.

I would never roll back on another RCI ship knowing the Windjammer is my only choice of included dining. Thats just me though

I also think they are headed in that direction.

I have to guess that RC will remain to have a complimentary dining room and of course keep the buffet/windjammer, if they took this away they would be loosing a high percentage of passengers or perhaps this is what they want to gear to a higher end clientele who don't mind paying extra for the specialty restaurants...which I may say I am one of these people.

I saw photos of Coastal Kitchen and I feel regarding the decor of it to me it gives me the appearance of a cafeteria rather than a restaurant. I feel its too simple and plain and feel for suite passengers, they deserve much better decor than what it is. As far as the menu is concern, I don't see anything special and it appears nearly the same type of menu as the main dining room only that they add penne pasta which I don't feel is on the menu's of the other three complimentary dining rooms and is certainly an inexpensive dish. The dessert menu is less than to be desired...to me at least.

I love the idea of having specialty restaurants, choices that we can individually make and we take advantage on trying all the specialty restaurants. This past May we went on the Allure and never dined in the MDR once, we thoroughly enjoyed the specialty restaurants but fond that they are lets say cutting back there also but they remain to offer better selection/quality/variety than what you get in the MDR....again my opinion.

The windjammer has gotten lets say more lacking in the past two years and would like to see them upgrade their quality and selection better, but why should they.....the windjammer is always packed and people are eating anyways. :rolleyes: