Problem with Dynamic Dining

bh9885

They did announce that DD would be available to book starting January 1. Not sure if that was just for Oasis or for Allure as well. My guess is that it did include Allure as she will be getting DD shortly after Oasis.

If it is anything like booking DD on Quantum class you should be able to book a long way out. I booked my DD for my Dec 2015 Anthem cruise last July.

I already booked DD April 2016 for the Anthem :)

Edited by alinnj

Totally agree with you both. We also prefer traditional dining and do not care for the DD concept. Haven't decided if we are keeping our booking yet but not because of the DD may try it but we may change if gratutities have to be pre paid at final payment. We like using our shipboard credit for that and having it added to our account daily. Personally I think people are forgetting that these boards are to express views and opinions even if they differ, however, some feel they need to change others views or express why they are wrong to feel that way. Why can't we all agree to disagree and just share our preferences and not attack others who feel differently.

Well said.

Sheri and Paul have also done a great job of illustrating the problems many of us have with DD. Many of us understand the concept and don't like it. Many of us don't need to waste a week and thousands of dollars to confirm the problems with DD.

Well said.

Sheri and Paul have also done a great job of illustrating the problems many of us have with DD. Many of us understand the concept and don't like it. Many of us don't need to waste a week and thousands of dollars to confirm the problems with DD.

Enjoy your upcoming Oasis and Allure cruises as all future on these ships will have DD.

My bet is that most people will get past this and figure out a way to work the new system to fit their own personal style of cruising. My father tells the story of my grandmother getting a new car. My grandfather was all excited about bringing home a new car for her. He brought home the new car and told her that by the way it had power brakes and she would no longer have to push down so hard not on the brake peddle. Her response was that she would never drive again. The year was 1948 and she was 48 years old. She drove well into her 90's. We all make it through change and we will certainly survive DD. ;)

Edited by silvermcs

Well it does make sense to try something before you condemn it right?Change is good.If you dont change you get left behind.Everything changes,you either try it or you take a stand and get left behind anyways.Your choice.

WOW so if you don't change you will be left behind because change is always good.

I am going to give that philosophy a little more thought before buying it.

How do you figure this? The MDR is replaced by the complimentary DD restaurants, which from what I saw on the RCI site seat about 450 each. There are only 3 complimentary on Oasis class so that's only about 1300 seats on a 6,000+ ship? And one of them (Grande) is formal every night so for folks like me that don't particulary want to dress up formal that's down to two venues and 800 seats for those two ships.

How do you figure this??? The MDR previously needed to handle 6000+ seats. Splitting it into three restaurants by simple math suggest they would each average 2000 guests. With two seatings, that is still 1000+ per restaurant. How would they suddenly become 450?

How do you figure this??? The MDR previously needed to handle 6000+ seats. Splitting it into three restaurants by simple math suggest they would each average 2000 guests. With two seatings, that is still 1000+ per restaurant. How would they suddenly become 450?

Accoring to Royal's own fact sheet, the Opus dining room had 3056 seats before being reconfigured for Dynamic Dining.

Lots of apples and oranges here.

The number of seats available for a specific meal. On Oasis, the MDR seats around 3000 for a specific meal at one time. But there are multiple seatings for the 5400 passengers.

The only place I've seen the 450 as the number of seats available for dynamic dining restaurants has specific to Quantum. I've not seen anything from RCI that confirms the number of seats for Oasis/Allure and there is no reason to believe they are the same. Quantum has more restaurants and fewer passengers so it makes sense Quantum may have less seating per restaurant.

Accoring to Royal's own fact sheet, the Opus dining room had 3056 seats before being reconfigured for Dynamic Dining.

Look at the deck plans for Oasis and Allure on the RCI website. Oasis shows the plans after Dynamic Dining and Allure shows the deck plans prior to Dynamic Dining. Compare these plans and you'll see the three complimentary dining venues on Oasis occupy the same space as the single dining venue on Allure. Therefore, the total floor space does not change. Now either there are approximately the same total number of seats available or Royal has decided to reduce the seating density by around 60%.

Lots of apples and oranges here.

The number of seats available for a specific meal. On Oasis, the MDR seats around 3000 for a specific meal at one time. But there are multiple seatings for the 5400 passengers.

The only place I've seen the 450 as the number of seats available for dynamic dining restaurants has specific to Quantum. I've not seen anything from RCI that confirms the number of seats for Oasis/Allure and there is no reason to believe they are the same. Quantum has more restaurants and fewer passengers so it makes sense Quantum may have less seating per restaurant.

Not sure I see an apple/orange comparison. The post I was commenting on (342) stated that on Oasis that after the DD conversion the three formerly MDR restaurants would only have 450 seats each. That is not a comparison or an opinion, it is just plain wrong (which both you and cleara have further supported).

I get that some people are probably not going to like DD, and I understand many their reasons (many of which I share). But using flawed or incorrect data (such as the "there won't be enough complimentary space") is not the way to make any point.

Enjoy your upcoming Oasis and Allure cruises as all future on these ships will have DD.

Correct. As I have indicated in previous posts , it is doubtful that I will book any future cruises on Allure or Oasis. I suspect that many of us will move over to Princess.

I have just been on the phone to crown and anchor about dynamic dining. Our booking on rci website is still showing traditional 8.30pm and crown and anchor have said this will be what we get as we booked early. Don't know how accurate this is so will keep checking. They said we will be in one part of the dining room but i'm not convinced at the moment

I don't understand why and how people are against or do not like dynamic dining here are my reasons why I say this:

1- I don't care to being told what time to have dinner and traditional dining pretty much has given (prior to my time dining which you have to wait for a table or stand on a line to get in) only two choices around 6pm or around 8pm, for many friends and family I have, we all agree one is too early and the other is too late. Dynamic dining allows everybody to choose what time they want to have dinner.

2- Instead of the one typical basic menu, you are now given three choices of restaurants and three different menu's to choose from, how could you not like this?

3- I have been on 53 cruises and most of the times we were placed at a table with "other table mates" we found that they didn't speak enlish, or they had young children that misbehaved, and also there were those handful of times you get a rude/arragant or drunk person at the table, I don't want to sit with strangers that I do not know, it is not fun and then there is the issue that I come on time to the dining room and the others haven't arrived yet so our waiter made us wait to order until the others come. Why would anybody want to deal with these issues?

4- I love the fact that formal dining is now a thing of the past soon, for those who wish to continue formal dining, dynamic dining gives you a dining room that is for formal attire, its nice not having to pack formalwear especially now that airlines have baggage weight limits. (We stopped the formal dining back in 06 and chose specialty dining instead)

5- Another issue about sitting at the same table each evening is there have been many times when our waiter or any of the servers was not up to par of what we are used to, you don't get stuck with the same waiter each evening and run into this issue. I don't care whether a waiter remembers whether I want iced tea or can't have gluten, I simply have no problem in asking for what I want each night.

I think for those who are against this dynamic dining, just give it a try once, I bet you will enjoy the experience of having the freedom to dine when you want and where you want. :)

I don't understand why and how people are against or do not like dynamic dining here are my reasons why I say this:

1- I don't care to being told what time to have dinner and traditional dining pretty much has given (prior to my time dining which you have to wait for a table or stand on a line to get in) only two choices around 6pm or around 8pm, for many friends and family I have, we all agree one is too early and the other is too late. Dynamic dining allows everybody to choose what time they want to have dinner.

2- Instead of the one typical basic menu, you are now given three choices of restaurants and three different menu's to choose from, how could you not like this?

3- I have been on 53 cruises and most of the times we were placed at a table with "other table mates" we found that they didn't speak enlish, or they had young children that misbehaved, and also there were those handful of times you get a rude/arragant or drunk person at the table, I don't want to sit with strangers that I do not know, it is not fun and then there is the issue that I come on time to the dining room and the others haven't arrived yet so our waiter made us wait to order until the others come. Why would anybody want to deal with these issues?

4- I love the fact that formal dining is now a thing of the past soon, for those who wish to continue formal dining, dynamic dining gives you a dining room that is for formal attire, its nice not having to pack formalwear especially now that airlines have baggage weight limits. (We stopped the formal dining back in 06 and chose specialty dining instead)

5- Another issue about sitting at the same table each evening is there have been many times when our waiter or any of the servers was not up to par of what we are used to, you don't get stuck with the same waiter each evening and run into this issue. I don't care whether a waiter remembers whether I want iced tea or can't have gluten, I simply have no problem in asking for what I want each night.

I think for those who are against this dynamic dining, just give it a try once, I bet you will enjoy the experience of having the freedom to dine when you want and where you want. :)

Very well said -- the dining experience is one of many things that is appealing to me about cruising -- I would like to try it and adapt to it before I make a drastic decision of changing cruise lines since we like RC in all other aspects.:)

Not sure I see an apple/orange comparison. The post I was commenting on (342) stated that on Oasis that after the DD conversion the three formerly MDR restaurants would only have 450 seats each. That is not a comparison or an opinion, it is just plain wrong (which both you and cleara have further supported).

I get that some people are probably not going to like DD, and I understand many their reasons (many of which I share). But using flawed or incorrect data (such as the "there won't be enough complimentary space") is not the way to make any point.

I agree completely. Whether one likes or dislikes DD is a personal decision based upon personal opinions. But using flawed logic, incorrect data, and data taken out of context only misleads other passengers.

Apples to oranges since the OP was using the number of seats in restaurants on Quantum and comparing those apples to the number of oranges (passengers) on Oasis.

Part of the problem here is that Royal has not clearly distinguished the differences in dynamic dining on Quantum class and on Oasis class.

Correct. As I have indicated in previous posts , it is doubtful that I will book any future cruises on Allure or Oasis. I suspect that many of us will move over to Princess.

And I have two booked cruises on Princess but my latest booking is on Royal and I booked that one only because of Dynamic Dining.

It's not only the fact that we have little interest in the structure of deciding restaurants and times months ahead, we would miss the overall experience of dining in the Main Dining Room.

Only once have we had anything but absolutely charming dinner companions....we changed tables and problem solved. We always ask for the largest table and second seating. Our tables have included couples from all over, interesting conversation we look forward to every night. We cannot wait to get there and hear what they have done that day. Conversation improves each day as we get to know them.

BIG enough to abandon Royal if this becomes fleet wide....and we were MARRIED on our beloved Radiance.

You've had much better experiences than we've had ... our table mates have ranged from families with misbehaving kids to non-english speaking to shy and non-talkative cruisers. One year, we had a lady who would show up always late, drunk to the dinner table and continued drinking and dominating the conversation without listening to what anyone was saying. We prefer to dine on our own or with the group we cruise with.

We prefer to eat around 8-8:30 or so when we go on cruises in the summertime but eat earlier around 7-7:30 in the winter -- so traditional dining has never fit us and we were elated with MTD.

I don't know how DD will work for us but no matter what it is not a reason for us to abandon RC.

Very well said. We've been on 1/10th the number of cruises and tablemates in that span have ranged from 'awesome enough to book Specialty Dining with when we wanted' to 'we got seated at a table for 10 with another couple and 7 non-English speakers - do that math.' (though the maitre'd took care of that PDQ).

For us, we're going to reserve judgment until we've had a chance to check it out firsthand - unlike the Chicken Little sky-is-falling hue and cry that RCL may as well start selling off ships now because DD is going to destroy the company and ships will sail empty due to total rejection of the idea.

If you go in expecting DD to completely ruin your cruise, your expectations are likely to be met.

Very well thought out but I'm still not convinced. Why can't I make people understand, it's not that I don't like DD, I prefer traditional dining. I hate having to waste my time making seven reservations instead of one. I want the same waiters, and I want the same table mates. Why don't you understand it's what I want? Getting that is impossible with DD. Even if you got the exact same time, and the same restaurant every night, there is no guarantee you will get the same table.

1. You are being told when to have dinner because so many slots are closed there is barely any choice. You still have to schedule around your entertainment, which will further limit your choices.

2. Three or four different choices of the same menu each night. The menu changes every night in the traditional MDR. I have reviewed all of the menus in each of the venues, there are barely 2-3 dishes total that I would order. Most nights I'll be ordering from the plain food section. We don't like the WJ for dinner, and I'm not paying for dinner a second time in a specialty restaurant. We have tried Chops and did not think it was worth the money.

3. You will deal with the exact same issues with DD. And it may happen every night. If you don't want to deal with anyone get a table for two. I want those first night strangers to be friends at the end of the cruise.

4. Formal wear has been a thing of the past for ten years. What you wear to the MDR is your choice, no one is forcing you to wear anything but clothes. I happen to like the special event of formal night. BTW airlines have had weight limits for a very long time.

5. Just look at it this way, now you will have 7 different shots at sub-par service. Do you think DD will magically remove sub-par service?

We are going to give it a try only because it was forced on us after we had already made our reservation and plans. In the future we will try to avoid it, but if we can't, we will make sure there is enough to offset.

I respect you have a different opinion. Please stop telling me 'try it you'll like it'. Because what I want from a cruise is different than you.

Edited by steveru621

Appreciate the nice comments regarding my post, thank you!

Its only right to make a proper judgement by giving it a try then decide how you truly feel about it ;)

Completely agree!

I've never tried formal nights simply because 2/3 cruises I've been on didn't have them (Island Cruises) and the other one was because I don't own a dinner suit nor wanted to pay to hire one. If I was on a ship from Southampton and I owned a dinner suit Id probably give it a try, but I wouldn't knock it until that point!

Those saying Royal should sell ships or will be sailing empty is ridiculous. A lot of people won't mind it, and there are many who have never cruised before who might think it's the way it works. If you don't like it then simply chose a ship or different line that suits you, much like how I chose Royal when there was an offer on Cunard simply because I didn't like the formal every night atmosphere, and it didn't appeal to me at the time, even though I'm sure it is a very lovely cruise/ship

1 - You will still have to possibly wait in line, or schedule your meal. Not really any different.

2 - Not sure what you mean by "one typical basic menu" in the current system. Last time I checked, there were 7 different menus - one for each night of a week. Have you experienced otherwise?

3 - The same thing could happen with DD. And on the flip side, you can request to be at a table by yourself with traditional dining.

4 - People have been not dressing formally for years now, on formal nights. Have you not noticed?

5 - Again, the same thing could happen with DD. And on the flip side, you might have an outstanding wait staff with traditional dining, thus enjoying their outstanding service every night.

Very well thought out but I'm still not convinced. Why can't I make people understand, it's not that I don't like DD, I prefer traditional dining. I hate having to waste my time making seven reservations instead of one. I want the same waiters, and I want the same table mates. Why don't you understand it's what I want? Getting that is impossible with DD. Even if you got the exact same time, and the same restaurant every night, there is no guarantee you will get the same table.

2. Three or four different choices of the same menu each night. The menu changes every night in the traditional MDR. I have reviewed all of the menus in each of the venues, there are barely 2-3 dishes total that I would order. Most nights I'll be ordering from the plain food section. We don't like the WJ for dinner, and I'm not paying for dinner a second time in a specialty restaurant. We have tried Chops and did not think it was worth the money.

I respect you have a different opinion. Please stop telling me 'try it you'll like it'. Because what I want from a cruise is different than you.

First of all, I sympathize with your feelings about being told to 'try it, you'll like it' since I didn't feel good about being told to 'try formal night, you'll like it' either.

The menus ARE NOT the same every night on all ships. Only on Quantum/Anthem are they the same every night and those ships have an extra restaurant meaning you have four or five (suites only) different menu choices there. On Oasis/Allure, the menus change mid cruise. There are three restaurants, four if you're in a suite, so there are at least six menus and perhaps eight menus to choose from. That's hardly different from TD.

While I seriously doubt the additional menus on Oasis/Allure will change the way you look at DD, it should, at least, give you some reassurance about those two ships. I hardly think this changes the way you perceive DD since your main issue revolves around the same table, same table mates, same waitstaff model. I'll not try to convince you otherwise. If that is your preference, I hope you find happiness.

Royal would not make such a sweeping change without thorough research into what the kind of passenger they wish to attract desires. I'm afraid that research indicates that this different demographic would prefer something other than traditional dining. I'm sure Royal regrets that many of it's former and even most loyal passengers prefer traditional dining. Royal believes it has to extend cruising to a newer and more diverse demographic that has different wishes in order to continue to grow.

If dynamic dining is a success, then the other mass market cruise lines will imitate and deploy something very similar. The future of cruising does not lie with traditional dining and regardless of which mass market line you may switch too, a variant of Dynamic Dining will follow.