Ebola scare?

pearose

Very interesting! But slightly irritating that they fail to give any connection between the passenger and previous Ebola victims. I assume that there must be some connection to make them think Ebola is a possibility.

Let us face it.... flu, norovirus and other things all have the same symptoms. Like stated... either there is some connection or else people are going off the deep end. By the way... have you noticed that so far Mr. Duncan's family has not come down with it. I think you have to be pretty darn sick to be contageous. They were in a tightly confined space before and after his initial trip to the hospital.

Susan

By the way... have you noticed that so far Mr. Duncan's family has not come down with it. I think you have to be pretty darn sick to be contageous. They were in a tightly confined space before and after his initial trip to the hospital.

Susan

And this is why I am not too worried and am not canceling our upcoming trip to America. It seems like there are two epidemics at work here - one that is highly lethal but hard to get (Ebola) and a second which is not lethal but is highly contagious and spreading rapidly (hysteria).

Let us face it.... flu, norovirus and other things all have the same symptoms. Like stated... either there is some connection or else people are going off the deep end. By the way... have you noticed that so far Mr. Duncan's family has not come down with it. I think you have to be pretty darn sick to be contageous. They were in a tightly confined space before and after his initial trip to the hospital.

Susan

Yeah, I can see this happening on a cruise ship because I have witnessed the barf...

Passenger from Nigeria vomits and dies on flight....BTW, as far as Mr. Duncans family, I posted earlier that they believe there's a 42 day incubation period--not 21 days. Not all people experience the same symptoms either.

http://nypost.com/2014/10/16/alarm-after-vomiting-passenger-dies-on-flight-from-nigeria-to-jfk/

Edited by elliair

An update from the same source:

Update: Channel 7 news anchor Indira Craig has posted on her Facebook page that Belize Prime Minister Dean Barrow in a callous move in view of very close Belize-U.S. relations, has denied entry into Belize for the stricken U.S. nationals to be air lifted to the U.S.A. for treatment:

“Talks have concluded with the PM and The US State Department officials. Belize WILL NOT BE GRANTING ACCESS to the suspected passengers to have entry onto our shores. An official release will be sent out shortly by government followed by a press conference to be held tomorrow.Passports have been returned so this scare has ended.”

What is the meaning of this last sentence?

Edited by untailored bostonian

And this is why I am not too worried and am not canceling our upcoming trip to America. It seems like there are two epidemics at work here - one that is highly lethal but hard to get (Ebola) and a second which is not lethal but is highly contagious and spreading rapidly (hysteria).

Well said. Nobody goes nuts over this kind of stuff like Americans do. People are scared stiff about Ebola, which has killed ONE person in the US, but they won't get vaccinated against flu, which kills thousands every year....

An update from the same source:

Update: Channel 7 news anchor Indira Craig has posted on her Facebook page that Belize Prime Minister Dean Barrow in a callous move in view of very close Belize-U.S. relations, has denied entry into Belize for the stricken U.S. nationals to be air lifted to the U.S.A. for treatment:

“Talks have concluded with the PM and The US State Department officials. Belize WILL NOT BE GRANTING ACCESS to the suspected passengers to have entry onto our shores. An official release will be sent out shortly by government followed by a press conference to be held tomorrow.Passports have been returned so this scare has ended.”

I guess it means this scare has ended, for Belize. (Let US handle it.)

The flu killed about 36,000 Americans last year, alone. Ebola has killed a bit more then 6000 since 1976. While there are vaccines for the flu, evidently they do not work 100% of the time, nor does everyone get vaccinated. Did you know that between 1918 and 1920 over 100 million died worldwide of the flu? I say you have a greater chance of contracting the flu and dying of it than you do of contracting Ebola.

Out of the hundreds of people that Mr. Duncan exposed, only 2 have proved positive for Ebola. Two. Not even his family have developed symptoms and should be leaving quarantine soon. We will have to wait and see if the 2nd nurse did infect anyone during her trip to Cleveland. She did have a low grade fever, so its possible.

I have a cruise scheduled for April. I will not cancel it. I refuse to give in to hysteria and until there is an actual epidemic I say there is no reason to panic.

Very well said :)

I fear that this person must have some sort of symptoms as if not I believe that she would have been just left in cabin quarantine on the ship. I do not think that the government would risk the mass hysteria this will cause to get her and her partner off the ship and then to return as fast as possible when Belize refused - Belize sated in their government release that she was displaying symptoms, they have also apparently refused to allow their own pilot back off the ship into Belize (I would say that if true that speaks volumes to what Belize knows to be going on). I think more will be relieved when the ship returns. We will see them walk off - no suits, no fuss/ info for the other passenger = all ok or either the suits on or blocked of views, other passengers given info out = They think there is a real risk.

I do not have another cruise booked until next summer - but I must admit this situation does rattle me.

I fear that this person must have some sort of symptoms as if not I believe that she would have been just left in cabin quarantine on the ship. I do not think that the government would risk the mass hysteria this will cause to get her and her partner off the ship and then to return as fast as possible when Belize refused - Belize sated in their government release that she was displaying symptoms, they have also apparently refused to allow their own pilot back off the ship into Belize (I would say that if true that speaks volumes to what Belize knows to be going on). I think more will be relieved when the ship returns. We will see them walk off - no suits, no fuss/ info for the other passenger = all ok or either the suits on or blocked of views, other passengers given info out = They think there is a real risk.

I do not have another cruise booked until next summer - but I must admit this situation does rattle me.

Belize stated in their government press release that she was NOT displaying symptoms - https://www.facebook.com/GOBPressOffice Have you even read it or are you just regurgitating alarmist misinformation without checking your sources?

Very interesting! But slightly irritating that they fail to give any connection between the passenger and previous Ebola victims. I assume that there must be some connection to make them think Ebola is a possibility.

She handled Duncan's lab specimens

She is a nurse at the Dallas hospital

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Susan

I haven't heard a single word about his family

I wonder why?

They had a video of the first nurse on fox last night

She looks and sounds great btw thankfully

Why no video interview with his family?

I'm sure they brought iPads and iPhones with them into quarantine

FaceTime anyone?

Just sayin and wondering why we aren't being updated about his immediate family

Edited by luvtheships

I haven't heard a single word about his family

I wonder why?

They had a video of the first nurse on fox last night

She looks and sounds great btw thankfully

Why no video interview with his family?

I'm sure they brought iPads and iPhones with them into quarantine

FaceTime anyone?

Just sayin and wondering why we aren't being updated about his immediate family

Possibly they don't want to talk to the media. The media has demonized their family member for bringing ebola to America. The healthcare system failed him. They have been exposed to something terrifying and left with little ability to access support from their community as they mourn the death of their loved one. They weren't even able to see him in hospital or after his death (for understandable reasons but even so it must have been terrible for them). Why do you think they would be gabbing away to reporters?

EDIT: though it seems there has been some comment: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/commentary/chi-ebola-thomas-eric-duncan-nephew-comment-20141016-story.html

Edited by Katgoesonholiday

Yes I didn't think if it in those terms. Their family member did cause this crisis and they are probably smart to stay quiet

But I still want to know of their medical condition and if they are sick

That is responsible reporting.

Belize stated in their government press release that she was NOT displaying symptoms - https://www.facebook.com/GOBPressOffice Have you even read it or are you just regurgitating alarmist misinformation without checking your sources?

Channel 5 Belize reported that it has:

“Confirmed with representatives of the Ministry of Health that they have indeed received a report that there is at least one passenger on board the cruise ship, Carnival Magic, showing symptoms similar to that of the Ebola virus. According to the report made to MOH, the person exhibiting the symptoms did not come ashore today. The ship is reportedly carrying 3652 passengers and a total population of 4633 persons.

Further quotes from Channel 5 NEWS are

“The ship was scheduled to leave Belize en route to Cozumel this evening at 5pm. However, it is still anchored in Belizean waters near State Bank Caye.”

“We have also have confirmed that the Belize Coast Guard has been deployed to prevent anyone from leaving the ship; including the Belizean pilot on board.”

There were other live streams of this interview with the MOH rep was shown, I have family who watched it!!! - so perhaps you should delve a bit further before you accuse people of making stuff up!!

And for an all round take on what is happening I would recommend that you source info further afield that what your US government and news streams are feeding you.

As I said at the moment there is conflicting info and that the only way we will know for sure is when the ship docks.

Duncan did get treatment though delayed because the ER thought it was just flu. I know he said he'd come from Liberia.

We'll see and hear more from the family with their lawsuit with several allegations.

Lets just hope they mention how he lied to get into the country.

I wake up and read that this and I am PO'ed. This is the type of hysteria we should expect. I read the "news" report and questioned the level of threat, but who knows until there are details. The first ship with Noro will be fun!

I wake up and read that this and I am PO'ed. This is the type of hysteria we should expect. I read the "news" report and questioned the level of threat, but who knows until there are details. The first ship with Noro will be fun!

As I said before - My info came direct from Belize - from an interview shown on TV with a rep of the MOH (put out later than the original gov one, to justify why Belize will not aid the US) - SO not hysteria- I also said that as there are 2 diff versions - the US and the Belize one we would have to wait until the ship docked to find out the correct one. I object to being accused of hysteria when I am only reporting facts that others seeing only the US news reports may not have access to. I think you will even see in the other thread that I stated depending on her job she may work with these sort of biohazards every day so ebola may have not been an issue to this person.- we have to wait and see

Originally Posted by untailored bostonian ...

“Talks have concluded with the PM and The US State Department officials. Belize WILL NOT BE GRANTING ACCESS to the suspected passengers to have entry onto our shores. An official release will be sent out shortly by government followed by a press conference to be held tomorrow.Passports have been returned so this scare has ended.

I guess it means this scare has ended, for Belize. (Let US handle it.)

What it meant is there was nothing to be scared of, and they knew it!

Edited by untailored bostonian