Would you give up your ball games to go on a cruise???

Hflors

Thanks everyone for your comments. DH is a huge Baltimore Ravens fan.. (we actually had to come back to fl this past week because he and my son have tickets to see them in Tampa.) He says after the end of the football season the cruise lines will have the playoff games on the tv, but not the reg season. He doesn't think there is anything wrong with wanting to stay home for the games! I am still debating as to what to do.

(EGG)n Cape Coral is right outside Ft Myers Florida

(Suitetraeler) DH doesn't know how to get to websites on the computer much less anything more complecated.

My husband will cruise during football season. But if we are in port (ANY port) he will look for a sports bar. He has managed to find American football in Canada and Mexico. We are going to Australia - I don't know if he will find his game. And who knows what the local time will be.

My husband will cruise during football season. But if we are in port (ANY port) he will look for a sports bar. He has managed to find American football in Canada and Mexico. We are going to Australia - I don't know if he will find his game. And who knows what the local time will be.

We were in Australia on the Dawn Princess in September & October 2011. We got football games on MUTS Saturday and Sunday, afternoon and evening. Only problem was that it was Aussie football.

NO WAY WOULD WE GIVE UP A CRUISE BECAUSE OF A BALL GAME (unless he were a coach or player in the NFL or NHL)! Luckily DH & I are on the same page with this one. :D I think some games are shown on board, aren't they?

Mary Lou

It depends on where you are. Games may take place in the middle of the night on the ship. As I mentioned above, we got Aussie rules football on cruises down there

This makes no sense at all. If he is an NFL fan, the final day of the regular season is 12/28 and the playoffs begin the next weekend. What if his team is in a wild card game that following weekend? He might not be able to watch it on the ship. If his team is not good enough to make the playoffs, why does he care about missing a game?

If he's a college fan, the regular season ends at the end of November. The playoffs start on 1/1/15, so he'd miss those. And of course he'd also miss most of the bowl games.

If I were you, and he refuses to go because of his nonsensical idea about dates, I'd go without him.

Unless your husband plays or coaches, I'm sure his team will survive without him for a week. Even if he has tickets, they can be sold or given away. If I didn't cruise when some sports team I was interested in was playing, I would not cruise at all.

By the way, first few weeks in December is our favorite cruise window. Low prices, very few kids, ship decorated for Christmas, things are slow at work, ...

Go Huskers!

The payoff in the league I am in is sufficient to pay for any number of nice, week long cruises and I couldn't care less about missing a week; I'd much rather be away on a ship! And chances are there will be some game on anyways (I've never sought it out, but I'm sure there will be...) Speaking for myself, spectator sports were never THAT big of a deal to me.

Edited by LMaxwell

(Suitetraeler) DH doesn't know how to get to websites on the computer much less anything more complecated.

Complicated? Can he type? Because getting these apps requires typing stuff like: Watch "US Football live on TV on my IPAD"

Example result:

http://www.zeropaid.com/news/95780/how-to-watch-nfl-games-on-the-iphone-ipad-for-free/

OR YOU could set this up for him NOW so he knows it works, book your cruise and you are totally "rock and roll."

Seriously, this is too easy to have any excuses not to do this!

Here is the back ground. We gave up a cruise booked for next year because of some unexpected expenses. So we then came into a little bit of unexpected money. (this all happened with in a month of each other) so dh says we can book a "cheap" cruise. So I look on line. Well the best time to book a "cheap" cruise is right before christmas. I find two cruises and tell dh about the great deals, the dates etc and all is honky dory. I am getting ready to book (as final payment was the next day for one of them) and we were kind of batting two cruises back and forth dates length, just general conversation when my dh turns to me and says. "Now what are those dates again?" So I repeat the dates and start to go over the itinaries when he says. "We can't go on a cruise in December. Its footbal season!" Honest to God I thought he was pulling my leg. I just looked at him and said. "Are you kidding me? You won't take a cruise in December because its footaball season?" Well he is deadly serious. He says we can go after December 28th when the season is over! Talk about being put in second place in your husband's affections.

So that folks is where we stand. dH thinks if we wait until the end of December that we will be able to get a "good deal" on a cruise in January! I told him we will need to pay at least three times the price of a cruise in December.

My question is. Would you stay home from a cruise because of a foot ball game?

Oh one last thing. We would be cruising on my birthday and our Anniversary if we went in December.

He can watch the game on the ship. The ship's have TVs and sports bars.

MAJOR fights in our family have revolved around Iowa football. I am a UCLA graduate so you can imagine how that went in 1986 when Iowa played UCLA at the Rose Bowl. #1 Quarterback in the Nation (#2 in the Heisman voting-closest ever) and Iowa was heavily favored to win. Ronnie Harmon dropped 4 passes (one so close I could have caught it-we were sitting on the 7 yard line 3 rows from the field) and Iowa lost (got stomped was more like it).

Booked on QE2 for the traditional January winter crossing 4 times. This used to happen on Dec. 15, which was after the end of the season and basically before the start of Bowl Season so not much of a problem. Iowa has been a big contender for premier bowl games ever since Hayden Fry became the coach and that has continued with Kirk Firentz.

But in either 2001 or 2002, Cunard changed the winter crossing schedule to the first few days in January. And you KNOW what bowl games are on those days!!!!

We were booked for the winter crossing in 2003 which left Jan 3 from South Hampton. But Iowa was playing in the Orange Bowl on Jan 2 and DH said he either got to watch the game or he wasn't going. I called every hotel within a 100 mile radius of London to find out if anyone was going to show the game. Most hotels had no idea what I was referring to as they don't watch US Football, particularly college football.

I found a solution-SLINGBOX. I was running around like crazy all over Phoenix trying to buy one, get it set up and MAKE SURE it worked just before we left for the cruise. He flat wasn't going if he couldn't watch the game.

We got on the plane, with my fingers crossed it would work and he could watch the game in Southampton at the Holiday Inn. After some tweaking and playing around with it, I finally got it to work and he happily sat in the bar at the Holiday Inn watching his beloved Iowa Hawkeyes on my laptop while I went out exploring. Iowa lost that game but we used the same setup in 2005 when Iowa played the defending national champions LSU at the Capital One Bowl. Iowa beat the defending champions and it was a VERY good crossing.

So I sure understand about the need to watch football vs a cruise.

I have since used Slingbox all over the world. Need a relatively fast internet connection that doesn't cost you a fortune. But it has been fun and a good purchase to be able to watch shows like Blacklist and both NCIS shows in real time in some very weird places in the world.

http://www.sling.com/

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/slingbox.htm

Edited by greatam

I'm confused. Why wouldn't your husband just stream live games on his IPAD or Android? There's absolutely no need to stay home from anything to watch football with these Aps nowadays. Google how to do it. It is so easy. The ships have WIFI. Given the WIFI is better in the Internet Center than elsewhere on the ship, but still, wanting to watch football should never prevent anyone from taking a vacation.

A 4 hour football game could EASILY cost you $500 using the ship's wifi or internet. DATA is very, very expensive on a cruise ship.

It sounds like OP's spouse is interested in one specific team. Their games may or may not be carried.

He is in Florida and the team he is interested in is in Baltimore. It may or may not be shown in Florida either (it depends on what the local teams are doing that day).

No I would not book a cruise around a football game. Our lives do not revolve around sports. My husband would either watch it on the ship if it is aired, or DVR it and watch it when we got home.

However, you can likely find a good deal on a cruise in January, especially if you wait until after final payment for those cruises are due.

Just think of what you have to look forward to - - -

A guy finally got tickets to the Super Bowl, but his seats were in the nosebleed section -- but he didn't care, he had always dreamed of going to the Super Bowl. So he wants to find a seat closer to where he can see better. He finds this seat toward the front and he asks the guy next to it whether anyone is sitting there.

The guy replies, "No, because my wife just died."

"Well," says the first man, "why didn't you just bring a friend or relative?"

The guy replied, "Oh, they're all at the funeral.":D

You found a cruise that was cheaper at Christmas than in January?!?!?! :eek:

We cruise every year the last week of January and it is dirt cheap then.

That is also Superbowl weekend.

My husband LOVES it because the ship has Superbowl parties and they show the game on their big screens. It's much better than any Superbowl party we've been to at home.

I'd recommend you follow your husband's advice and book in January. If he's trying to catch a specific team then book over Superbowl. If his team makes it, the game will be shown. If his team doesn't make it, then it really doesn't matter but it will be a cheaper cruise. ;)

You found a cruise that was cheaper at Christmas than in January?!?!?! :eek:

We cruise every year the last week of January and it is dirt cheap then.

That is also Superbowl weekend.

My husband LOVES it because the ship has Superbowl parties and they show the game on their big screens. It's much better than any Superbowl party we've been to at home.

I'd recommend you follow your husband's advice and book in January. If he's trying to catch a specific team then book over Superbowl. If his team makes it, the game will be shown. If his team doesn't make it, then it really doesn't matter but it will be a cheaper cruise. ;)

As is often the case- so much misinformation on cruise critic.

With the right TA and cruise line itinerary, there are always bargains to be found - even at Christmas.

And, since cruise lines need to pay for rights to broadcast most sports competitions, there is no guarantee that the Super Bowl will be shown. On our most recent Oceania cruise, they didn't show The Belmont Stakes!

(Per an error in someone's earlier post) Viewing a sports event over wifi would not cost hundreds extra if you purchased an unlimited internet package.

That said, the OP's DH needs to

A) learn how to (and) use a computer.

B) learn how to (and) use a DVR

C) do something nice for his wife here

Of course, if we were talking about Ohio State, I could see his point (just kidding but "go Buckeyes" anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums