Would you give up your ball games to go on a cruise???

Hflors

Here is the back ground. We gave up a cruise booked for next year because of some unexpected expenses. So we then came into a little bit of unexpected money. (this all happened with in a month of each other) so dh says we can book a "cheap" cruise. So I look on line. Well the best time to book a "cheap" cruise is right before christmas. I find two cruises and tell dh about the great deals, the dates etc and all is honky dory. I am getting ready to book (as final payment was the next day for one of them) and we were kind of batting two cruises back and forth dates length, just general conversation when my dh turns to me and says. "Now what are those dates again?" So I repeat the dates and start to go over the itinaries when he says. "We can't go on a cruise in December. Its footbal season!" Honest to God I thought he was pulling my leg. I just looked at him and said. "Are you kidding me? You won't take a cruise in December because its footaball season?" Well he is deadly serious. He says we can go after December 28th when the season is over! Talk about being put in second place in your husband's affections.

So that folks is where we stand. dH thinks if we wait until the end of December that we will be able to get a "good deal" on a cruise in January! I told him we will need to pay at least three times the price of a cruise in December.

My question is. Would you stay home from a cruise because of a foot ball game?

Oh one last thing. We would be cruising on my birthday and our Anniversary if we went in December.

Absolutely not!! Your birthday and anniversary? That sounds very selfish to me. Take a friend and go without him.

I took a cruise in late January with my friend - a die-hard, season-ticket holding, Patriot's fan. We booked well in advance. As the date neared, it became clear that the Patriots would be on contention for a Super Bowl spot that year. On day one of our cruise, the Pats would be playing the Steelers, trying to secure the right to play in the Super Bowl. Unbeknownst to me, my friend called Carnival to ask if the game would be televised anywhere on the ship. They assured her it would be playing in the sports bar.

That afternoon, in the midst of our embarkation day celebration (as I recall, I had just joined the conga line), my friend tells me she's headed for the sports bar and probably wouldn't see me the rest of the night.

No worries.

It was still in the days where traditional dining was the only option. When I showed up alone at the MDR, I found we'd been seated with two single guys around our age. (Coincidence...I think not...) I explained to them why I was dining alone that night. Turns out they were from the Philly area. Their team, the Eagles, had secured their position in the Super Bowl earlier that day!

The Pats beat the Steelers and the football rivalry became a nightly topic of dinner conversion.

Back from the cruise, I actually watched the SB game, start to finish, for the only time in my life. (NOT a football fan!) The cruise week rivalry had made me want to see who won...and to call our cruise friends when their Eagles lost. It was fun!

Tell your better half the games can be watched on board! My friend had a BLAST watching the game in the sports bar, where there was a mix of fans from both teams. She made a bunch of like-minded friends that night. I suspect that made the cruise even more enjoyable for her.

They show most of the big games on the big screens....Nothing like watching the Bears in the playoffs a few years back on a two story screen over looking the Caribbean....especially when it was snowing back in Chicago....

I LOVE my sports, but it doesn't run my life....(altho my partner might disagree!!)

• 2 months later...

Just happened upon this post....

OMG it made me so happy to see I'm not alone!!!!!!!!

I come from a family of long time Sooner Football fans. We have not missed a home game since graduating in the 70's. Because of our business we cannot travel from May through September then because of football season we cannot travel until December. I have been happily following this schedule for over thirty years and I am tired of it!!!! It is next to impossible to cruise in Europe with your schedule tied to football!!!

My husband was given a plaque that said

"Football is Life". OMG I think he believes it.... I cannot WAIT to show him this thread!

GOOD LUCK with your football nut ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just happened upon this post....

OMG it made me so happy to see I'm not alone!!!!!!!!

I come from a family of long time Sooner Football fans. We have not missed a home game since graduating in the 70's. Because of our business we cannot travel from May through September then because of football season we cannot travel until December. I have been happily following this schedule for over thirty years and I am tired of it!!!! It is next to impossible to cruise in Europe with your schedule tied to football!!!

My husband was given a plaque that said

"Football is Life". OMG I think he believes it.... I cannot WAIT to show him this thread!

GOOD LUCK with your football nut ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess you wish you were at sea out of any reception area yesterday!!.

Rubbing it in a bit there Paul? 40 - 6 :eek: ;)

Good news for the OP, the Ravens will be playing in January!:D

Or is that bad news?:confused:

Edited by DirtyDawg

Go ahead rub it in...

The Sooner Nation is in mourning. Rough, tough season

BUT ... just you wait until next year :D

We have had some down years but we have also seen

7 National Championships and 44 Conference Championships!

We may be down but we will be back!!

BOOMER SOONER!!!

Seems kind of snobbish for anyone to say what is important to anyone else. I am a football fan and have missed many games for children's events and other family matters but I would not book a cruise during football season. To each their own. I am no way a fanatic but have traditions I enjoy during certain times of the year that I enjoy. I would not book a cruise during the 2nd week in June as that's when I go camping and 4 wheeling with my daughter. I can go the third week or anytime during the summer but that is our week. It is all personal preference and for people to judge means you think your opinion matters more than someone else.s

Go ahead rub it in...

BOOMER SOONER!!!

Are you guys getting a new coach like the Michigan Wolverines?

Seems kind of snobbish for anyone to say what is important to anyone else. I am a football fan and have missed many games for children's events and other family matters but I would not book a cruise during football season. To each their own. I am no way a fanatic but have traditions I enjoy during certain times of the year that I enjoy. I would not book a cruise during the 2nd week in June as that's when I go camping and 4 wheeling with my daughter. I can go the third week or anytime during the summer but that is our week. It is all personal preference and for people to judge means you think your opinion matters more than someone else.s

I am not a football fan and I totally agree. It's really all about having respect for your spouse's passion - whatever the passion is. If your spouse's passion is watching the Masters in golf, or US Open in tennis, or watching the finals of American Idol, or going out on the first day of deer hunting season or whatever.....just plan cruises around those dates. Cruising is just not that big a deal. Oh, unless it is your passion, when it is a big deal. Goose, meet gander.

I am saddened by the disdain on this thread. Not disdain for sports, but disdain for what gives great pleasure to the person who is supposed to be your beloved.

We have taken 6 of our cruises during football season (the other 3 during basketball tournament season...), including 2 during bowl game season--have watched virtually every game on the ship (or on port).

This is NOT a reason to not go--if there is a screen by the pool they show NFL games out there!!!

This is NOT a reason to not go--if there is a screen by the pool they show NFL games out there!!!

One of the reasons I won't cruise on a ship with one of those horrible screens by the pool. They ruin a perfectly good day by the pool just to satisfy the obsessions of sports fans. :eek:

Go ahead rub it in...

BOOMER SOONER!!!

If it is any consolation, I have a masters degree from Clemson and always root for whoever they are playing. When I moved to South Carolina in 1974 I quickly learned that it was much more peaceful at work the Monday after a Clemson loss.

I see the OP is now scheduled to cruise on January 4th - the day AFTER the Ravens' first playoff game.

GO SEAHAWKS!! ;)

So if the Ravens win on Saturday against the Steelers who do they play the next week - and when? If it's Saturday again the OP's Hubby could be missing out.:(