Quantum of the Seas - Maiden Transatlantic Voyage - Nov 2-10, 2014 - Live Report

jv_nyc

I just got off the phone with RCCL. they said the bands are complementary and will be waiting in the cabins on the Quantum class ships. Can anyone on the cruise comment if they got theirs at checkin or was it in the cabin and if it was did you pre order it. Also RCCL said that you will need the sea pass card to get on and off the ship so you will still get a sea pass card.

Also if anyone bought a package on the ship was it auto loaded to your wow band or did you need to go to customer service to get it loaded on?

I just got off the phone with RCCL. they said the bands are complementary and will be waiting in the cabins on the Quantum class ships. Can anyone on the cruise comment if they got theirs at checkin or was it in the cabin and if it was did you pre order it. Also RCCL said that you will need the sea pass card to get on and off the ship so you will still get a sea pass card.

Also if anyone bought a package on the ship was it auto loaded to your wow band or did you need to go to customer service to get it loaded on?

The first part was answered earlier, the current pax received them free and they were in their cabin.

I'm assuming Royal still haven't removed the words "nominal fee" on the information page

Thank you so much for all who are putting in so much hard work with this wonderful thread.

Have read that rooms alternate bed by balcony or not and was wondering if anyone in 8650 could lmk the layout. Also wondering if the angled balcony is larger than the regular.

A few answers...

there are frozen yogurt machines on the pool deck directly under the Northstar.

Captain was at our M&M along with Lisa the EVP of Operations, Nick Weir the VP of Entertainment, and executives for food & bev and hotel management. And the beleaguered IT team was also there. I know lots of people are complaining about the technology not working, but as someone who works in IT, these folks have my complete empathy and I just want to give them a hug when I see them. They sure look like they could use it. I have no doubt they are working their behinds off to get all of this fixed.

The air has been unlocked and our cabin was a brisk 67 when I awoke this morning. Ahhhhh....

So far the "alternate menu" of standard choices has not appeared in any of the free dining rooms. When asked in both Chic and Silk we were told they only had their specialty menu available.

As an addition to the above, my mother has quite a few food allergies and even without the alternate menu, each restaurant so far has been VERY accommodating about making changes to meet her needs and tastes. I will say that in Silk tonight we asked specifically about peanuts or things being fried in peanut oil and they told her which dishes would be "safe". She ordered the egg drop soup appetizer and started to have a reaction, so stopped eating it. She was fine and caught it in time to not need her epi pen, but it definitely freaked the staff out and had a manager making a beeline to the table to check on her multiple times. There was a noodle in the soup that was not made on ship but purchased already made and we speculate that might have been the issue but no one could be sure. So I would maybe suggest anyone with a peanut allergy that Silk might not be a good venue for you.

Tracy

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Oh, and yes, we're diverting for a medical emergency. The captain announced there will be helicopter coming for someone who needs surgery.

Must be very serious to opt for a helicopter pick up. Good luck to all involved.

Can't remember if it was asked here or on the FB page, but Circus School is happening. Trapeze was yesterday and today. I took some photos but can't seem to get them uploaded to Shutterfly. I'll post them when the connection seems to stabilize.

It looked like great fun, so it's now on my list to try. I'm really not sure how I'm going to fit all this cool stuff into the schedule in just 8 days. I guess that means I need to visit the Next Cruise desk. :D

Tracy

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Can't remember if it was asked here or on the FB page, but Circus School is happening. Trapeze was yesterday and today. I took some photos but can't seem to get them uploaded to Shutterfly. I'll post them when the connection seems to stabilize.

It looked like great fun, so it's now on my list to try. I'm really not sure how I'm going to fit all this cool stuff into the schedule in just 8 days. I guess that means I need to visit the Next Cruise desk. :D

Tracy

How do you sign up for the circus school? Can you do it through the tv or Royal IQ app? Is it for children and adults? I'd love to hear more about it. It sounds like so much fun!

Must be very serious to opt for a helicopter pick up. Good luck to all involved.

I'd say helicopter is the only real viable alternative, by this point they will be too far out and to get to the nearest viable port could put them seriously behind, enough that it would effect other sailing, whereas turning back(ish) and meeting a helicopter won't effect it the sailing too much.

I'd say helicopter is the only real viable alternative, by this point they will be too far out and to get to the nearest viable port could put them seriously behind, enough that it would effect other sailing, whereas turning back(ish) and meeting a helicopter won't effect it the sailing too much.

My gut feel is that the Captain does whatever is the best thing to do for the health of the person who is ill.

My gut feel is that the Captain does whatever is the best thing to do for the health of the person who is ill.

Well yes, but he also has to bare the time frame etc in mind, if someone is having to be off the ship for a medical emergency, the chances are that the patient cannot wait a day to get back to shore. In most circumstances a hel-evac would be not only medically recommended on routes like this, but also in the best interest of RCI as to not cause disruption. It's not so bad on closer to shore routes, but on an Ocean Voyage it certainly isn't viable in any sense of the word to find land

Tracy

How delightful Tracy! :D It sounds like you are having a wonderful time. :D

~Patti :)

Thank you all for the wonderful posts and answers to questions. I'm feeling even more excited for my April birthday cruise knowing I'll have freestyle machines and a thermal suite. :-) Now just happily awaiting more info on the circus school.

Sent from iPhone using Cruise Critic App

Well yes, but he also has to bare the time frame etc in mind, if someone is having to be off the ship for a medical emergency, the chances are that the patient cannot wait a day to get back to shore. In most circumstances a hel-evac would be not only medically recommended on routes like this, but also in the best interest of RCI as to not cause disruption. It's not so bad on closer to shore routes, but on an Ocean Voyage it certainly isn't viable in any sense of the word to find land

Agreed, personal safety is paramount but then a helicopter is much quicker and easier for the patient if in reach.:D

I'm noticing so many loose throw pillows in the seating areas. They look amazing, but I'm wondering how long they will last. I can see a group of smart a$$ kids having a game of lets toss the pillows.

Yeah, I noticed a picture of a weird seating spot in The Via. It looked like a giant wine bottle that could only be used by climbing inside and like 2-3 people could sit indian style in there. I could see teenagers really having fun with that setup, lol. A lot of the seating throughout the ship seems great for Celebrity but not designed to handle the abuse of a bunch of bored teenagers at 1am. I'm not saying teenagers are bad, but you put a bunch of comfy chairs out like that and it's basically guaranteed you'll get a ton of dirty shoes on them, especially when most are white cloth.

Thanks to everyone for all the information and pictures. I can't wait to board.

One question about all the dining venues. We made all our reservations ahead of time. When we arrive at the dining venue at our reservation time, will we have to wait to be seated? Also,will we get a table to ourselves or will we have to share a table?

Thanks.

You may have to wait. Just as with any restaurant where you make reservations..the table still needs to be available. If service or diners are particularly slow, there may be a slight wait.

Agreed, personal safety is paramount but then a helicopter is much quicker and easier for the patient if in reach.:D

We are taking the southern route anyway. There will be no delay in reaching New Jersey. I haven't read all prior posts but I believe the captain said that someone had surgery and will be evacuated. Could be appendix for all we know but we expect to be in Azores at noon ships time.

Everything is amazing! You won't believe everything! All of the sights and sounds! I wish the O3B internet was available! I have some good photos!

Tried several times to upload photos but it's taking so long. Need to get another internet package!

Edited by HandE