Sitting with strangers in the MDR

sapphire_407

I tried to add the following edit to my last posting and received a pop-up saying I could only edit a posting for 20 minutes after I posted it. Apparently their clock runs faster than mine because mine indicated it had been less than 20 minute since I made the original posting. I guess I will not be making very many more CC postings in the future.

“I described her as a 'cougar' because I am about as far out of shape as you can get and not that great looking any more, in my opinion; if it wasn’t my age, it must have been the suit I was wearing, it was formal night after all.”

I tried to add the following edit to my last posting and received a pop-up saying I could only edit a posting for 20 minutes after I posted it. Apparently their clock runs faster than mine because mine indicated it had been less than 20 minute since I made the original posting. I guess I will not be making very many more CC postings in the future.

“I described her as a 'cougar' because I am about as far out of shape as you can get and not that great looking any more, in my opinion; if it wasn’t my age, it must have been the suit I was wearing, it was formal night after all.”[/quote

*LOL*

Actually you were ripe for the picking for that old dear. The ladies at my Moms condo in Florida try to move in sometime between the paramedics leaving and the time the husband leaves to go pick out the coffin.

• 3 weeks later...
Awesome!

Except for really nasty/rude stuff like chewing with an open mouth, talking with a full mouth, purposely belching, taking food off someone else's plate unless it's offered, etc., not having perfect table manners doesn't bother me. Feel free to scoop your soup however you want. I don't care if you use a dinner knife to butter your bread, or the wrong fork to eat your salad. I won't even get upset if you use my bread plate or water glass, I'll just discretely ask the server for another. :)

Too funny. I remember a woman asked me if she could have the piece of fat I had cut off the meat on my plate. I thought she was joking..........................she was not. I was so shocked that someone want something off a strangers plate.

Too funny. I remember a woman asked me if she could have the piece of fat I had cut off the meat on my plate. I thought she was joking..........................she was not. I was so shocked that someone want something off a strangers plate.

I agree, that would be quite odd. It's one thing if it's my husband or even a friend, but a complete stranger? Nope. That's just weird.

I did have a lady at the next table once ask if she could take the t-bone from my steak home for her dog at a nicer restaurant. I asked the server to wrap it for her. They actually had special bags that said "Fido" on them for bones. I thought that was pretty awesome!

We have only sat at a group table once. (The other times the tables were full with our own group of travelers.) They were only strangers for the first 5 minutes. After that, they are tablemates. I am not a great fan of small talk either, but on a ship, it is the easiest thing to do. "Where are you from?" "What do you do?" "What did you do today?" etc. I still talk with one of the couples from that cruise. They are good friends, and they are all the way across the pond in Great Britain. :)

I enjoy exchange and conversation on cruises of whatever variety. I am grateful for those who think likewise. If everybody wanted to be left alone and not exchange and have conversation, it would be a very boring cruise to me. Thankfully, that is not the case.

To return to the original post, all these subsequent posts have confirmed that different people wish to dine in different patterns: some like traditional fixed dining with the same companions, others like to eat at a set time with just their partner. Some people like to take 'pot luck' and eat at shared tables every evening, with different dining companions, while some eat at a time of their choosing with just their partner. Some partake of meals in other venues or in their state rooms.

The OP asked if it was felt that the dining pattern should be changed. I'm sure that many would agree that it shouldn't, as it offers a huge amount of flexibility for passengers to choose their dining time, place and companions.

So, NO, I don't think things should be changed.

Well stated.

Just because one person likes one way, and another person likes something else, doesn't make either one wrong, they are just different.

I have been cruising since 1976 and have lost track of the number of cruises I have been on.

In all those cruisers, we have only had trouble with one couple on our table who were "born again" Christian "Taliban." They wanted to start every meal with holding hands and praying and proceed to "witnessing" throughout the meal.

We tolerated the praying the first night. No go on the witnessing.

Second night, when they looked around and said, "Shall we join hands?" My response as I picked up my fork was: "We did that last night; I'm good to go for the next ten years."

The rest of the table snickered and started eating. They behaved themselves for the rest of the meals.

Oh my, that would be different. The first thing I thought of when I read the "holding hands" part was noro. :eek:

We have MTD on Royal Caribbean and Select on Celebrity. We get a table for two. Go to the first show and then the dining room. After dinner see what else is going on around the ship. Spending two hours at the dining table is just way to long.

Edited by SPacificbound

i go with the Will Rogers attitude that a stranger is just a friend you have not met. I am retired and we spend a lot of time together. I would look forward to meeting others on a cruise.

That being said, I remember reading here about a single lady at a table who ordered a before dinner drink. Some self righteous people at her table prayed for her as an alcoholic and lesbian.

Edited by Talisker92

My wife and I look forward to being seated with strangers just to meet new people. Our last two cruises have been a table for two though. Next time we'll have a toddler so we'll see how that works out.

Once, during breakfast, we were seated with a family of probably six. They were all entertained by each other and it seemed like my wife and I were invisible so that was ackward.

Once during dinner, everyone at the table introduced themselves and said what they did for a living. One of our table mates said he worked in law enforcement for the feds. Trying to further the coversation, I asked how one gets a job like that and he gave me the cold shoulder for the rest of the week! :rolleyes:

My wife and I look forward to being seated with strangers just to meet new people. Our last two cruises have been a table for two though. Next time we'll have a toddler so we'll see how that works out.

Once, during breakfast, we were seated with a family of probably six. They were all entertained by each other and it seemed like my wife and I were invisible so that was ackward.

Once during dinner, everyone at the table introduced themselves and said what they did for a living. One of our table mates said he worked in law enforcement for the feds. Trying to further the coversation, I asked how one gets a job like that and he gave me the cold shoulder for the rest of the week! :rolleyes:

You are lucky that he did not say that if he told you, he would have to kill you. However, there was no reason that he should have given you a cold shoulder for the rest of the cruise and if his job really was so sensitive, he should not have told you at all.

DON

You are lucky that he did not say that if he told you, he would have to kill you. However, there was no reason that he should have given you a cold shoulder for the rest of the cruise and if his job really was so sensitive, he should not have told you at all.

DON

Hahaha! Even more curiously, I too am a LEO! You'd think that that common thread among us would facilitate a good relationship.

We're doing our first cruise, my wife is pretty introverted and so we definitely want to try and get a table for two. What it's sounding like is maybe we should have gone with Any Time Dining instead of a set-seating. Catch is we really like the idea of having a set wait staff & things especially as my wife has dietary requirements. Should we be switching or just hunt down the Matre D?

We won't be eating in the MDR every night but certainly want to do it at least once!

We're doing our first cruise, my wife is pretty introverted and so we definitely want to try and get a table for two. What it's sounding like is maybe we should have gone with Any Time Dining instead of a set-seating. Catch is we really like the idea of having a set wait staff & things especially as my wife has dietary requirements. Should we be switching or just hunt down the Matre D?

We won't be eating in the MDR every night but certainly want to do it at least once!

You can try to request a table for two when the MDR opens and Matre D takes special requests.

I do YTD with special dietary needs. Speak to Matre D and a hostess or wait staff will come with the next day's menu. Even if you change tables/wait staff they can track you down, but you can request the same staff/table if it's available

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpgI still cruise for Warm Chocolate Melting Cake (with 2 sugar-free vanilla ice-creams)

Maitre D's are very obliging and will do their utmost to accommodate you.

Please if you do either early or late seating and you sit with other people do them a favor and show up within a reasonable amount of time and not 45 minutes late and then get upset if the waiter didn't wait for you before taking your tablemates orders.

If you are going to eat in the MDR you should eat there every night! You will be given the same table with the same wait staff. It would be upsetting for them if you only ate there once or twice. If you have dietary needs the hostess will bring the next night's menu to you and can explain with is in the food there. She will take your order for the next night. Then the next night they will bring you whatever you ordered. And the waiter will know and can also help you. I think this would be harder for tem and you if you ate at a different table with different wait staff each night with anytime dining.

This is not like a restaurant. You go ON time - not whenever you feel like it!Why do you think you wouldn't want to eat there every night. If you don't eat there then you would eat in the buffet. This is self serve and the food is not the same. (They never have lobster on 1st formal night.)

The maître'd will be in one restaurant usually at 1 or 2 PM for dining room requests. If you want to do anytime, speak to him then and he may be able to move you.

If you are going to eat in the MDR you should eat there every night...

Ah yes, the way things used to be on cruise ships. Of course if some folks had their way, this is what it would be like for all of us today.:rolleyes:

If you are going to eat in the MDR you should eat there every night! You will be given the same table with the same wait staff. It would be upsetting for them if you only ate there once or twice. If you have dietary needs the hostess will bring the next night's menu to you and can explain with is in the food there. She will take your order for the next night. Then the next night they will bring you whatever you ordered. And the waiter will know and can also help you. I think this would be harder for tem and you if you ate at a different table with different wait staff each night with anytime dining.

This is not like a restaurant. You go ON time - not whenever you feel like it!Why do you think you wouldn't want to eat there every night. If you don't eat there then you would eat in the buffet. This is self serve and the food is not the same. (They never have lobster on 1st formal night.)

The maître'd will be in one restaurant usually at 1 or 2 PM for dining room requests. If you want to do anytime, speak to him then and he may be able to move you.

That's absurd. Our last cruise with assigned dining we only ate in the MDR once. We told the servers we wouldn't be back in the first night as we were eating the other nights in the alternates, tipped them the suggested amount. Why in earth would it matter to them or anyone else where we ate?

By the way, many of your points are specific to one cruise line so are irrelevant to many people.

Apparently, this poster has not been on a cruise in a few decades :roll eyes:

There are these new wonderful things called "specialty restaurants" on cruise ships nowadays. You can eat there (with a reservation) whenever you want for dinner, abandoning those at your set dining table…Supposedly only rude people who don't want to follow the rules go to these specialty restaurants - rogues...;)

Edited by slidergirl

We have only been on TEN cruise so far THIS year. In 2012 were went on 13 so we are experienced cruisers! We started cruising in 1985! We have been on ships of 5 cruise lines that no longer exist. We know about cruising and have been on 6 current lines.

If you only plan to eat only once in the dining room, why bother to go there at all? Please answer this question...................

We have only been on TEN cruise so far THIS year. In 2012 were went on 13 so we are experienced cruisers! We started cruising in 1985! We have been on ships of 5 cruise lines that no longer exist. We know about cruising and have been on 6 current lines.

If you only plan to eat only once in the dining room, why bother to go there at all? Please answer this question...................

Because maybe you want to? Why does there have to be some specific reason?

ooooh...:rolleyes:

(a must-see for anyone who works in hospitality)

People try the MDR for the EXPERIENCE. If you don't like it, you aren't forced to endure all your meals with boors who go on and on about themselves. MODERN cruise lines offer choices nowadays - no one is forced to do one thing or the other. Perhaps the MDR is serving something one night that tickles your fancy - go for it. Another night, it is boring, so you either go specialty, buffet, or private dining.