Hand sanitizers on ships??

P.A.

The bad thing about hand sanitizer is that it gives people a false sense of security. Many people who use sanitizer don’t wash their hands. The very best way to avoid getting sick from noro virus, or other things, is by washing your hands. Make sure you wash your hands thoroughly and then you can use the hand sanitizer.

I use to use the hand sanitizers all the time but was having problems because I would get even a paper cut and the wound would never heal. I finally found out that the hand sanitizer was the problem. Not only does it kill the bad germs...it kills the good germs which are needed! No more hand sanitizer for me! I wash, wash, wash! It is the safest and healthiest way.

Edited by ready2cruzagain

Far, far more important than hand sanitizers is washing your hands. Most illnesses on a ship are viral, not bacterial, which means that sanitizers don't help much. They do help but it's a misconception that sanitizers prevent you from getting sick on a cruise.

The bottom line, as ready2cruzagain says, Wash! Wash! Wash!

Edited by Pam in CA

Yes I totally agree to wash, wash, wash!! My hands are so dry because I wash so often. It irritates me to no end to see people come out of a bathroom stall and NOT wash their hands!! GROSS!! I would probably say something to that person too because it can effect me!!

Hopefully people are more aware now since all this with Ebola. But I do know there are still STUPID people out there.

My wife and I use the sanitizer but we also wash our hands frequently. We use the stairs most of the time and try to avoid the handrails as they are a huge spreader of germs. Soap and water are your friend.

Yes I totally agree to wash, wash, wash!! My hands are so dry because I wash so often. It irritates me to no end to see people come out of a bathroom stall and NOT wash their hands!! GROSS!! I would probably say something to that person too because it can effect me!!

Hopefully people are more aware now since all this with Ebola. But I do know there are still STUPID people out there.

Same here until I found my favorite moisturizer. Raw, Virgin, Unrefined Coconut Oil. You can get a pint at Walmart for $8. It is awesome! Greasy at first but after 5 minutes it soaks in. Read up on it.

Edited by ready2cruzagain

They had them all over on our cruise on the Golden.

Never used them once.

I have a thing called an "immune system"

I let it do all the work. :cool:

So are you one of those that walks out of the restroom without washing your hands??

Recently sailed on the Regal, and there were hand sanitisers at the entrance to the restaurants and also 2 sinks at each entrance to the Buffett. All great but no one there to make sure you used them. Sailed with NCL last year and you couldn't get anywhere near unless they saw you using sanitisers. Agree with previous comments that good hand washing, taking about 30 seconds being the best method to kill bugs. Singing happy birthday (to yourself in my case !!!!) twice should take you about 30 seconds.

As I exit the restroom, my wife will always ask..."Did you wash your hands?"

My go-to response...."I didn't get anything on them!" :D

I once heard someone say to another in the restroom

"Didn't your mother teach you to wash your hands?"

An answer came directed:

"She did teach me not to ... on them."

I am one who refuses to use hand sanitizer on ships. I have an allergy to one of the inactive ingredients. I am a nurse and know the importance of GOOD HANDWASHING, and take washing my hands with correct technique very seriously. I often have to explain myself politely to staff as I enter the main dining room that I WILL NOT use hand sanitizer, but they are welcome to come with me to the restroom and I will re-wash my hands in their presence.

I have yet to be taken up on the offer.

They do, but the sanitizer is useless--it's only a bactericide, not virucide. Stupid that they don't change brands or force Purell to make a useful product.

Not entirely true Purell (and sanitizers with 60% or more alcohol) kill (rather, inactivates) some viruses but not all.

Enveloped Viruses, such as flu viruses, have a lipid envelope that can be dissolved by the alcohol in Purell and it is thus effective against their infection.

Non-enveloped viruses, such as Hepatitis A and common cold viruses, are less vulnerable to alcohol and so using Purell may not be effective against their virulence.

It kills most viruses but not all.

Per the CDC regarding noro-virus "Alcohol-based hand sanitizers can be used in addition to hand washing. But, they should not be used as a substitute for washing with soap and water."

Hand washing is your best defense but when you can't wash your hands like after handling those "germ" laden menus in the dining rooms it will help to protect you from some viruses.

We wash, wash , wash our hands but also use Purell.

Not entirely true Purell (and sanitizers with 60% or more alcohol) kill (rather, inactivates) some viruses but not all.

Enveloped Viruses, such as flu viruses, have a lipid envelope that can be dissolved by the alcohol in Purell and it is thus effective against their infection.

Non-enveloped viruses, such as Hepatitis A and common cold viruses, are less vulnerable to alcohol and so using Purell may not be effective against their virulence.

It kills most viruses but not all.

Per the CDC regarding noro-virus "Alcohol-based hand sanitizers can be used in addition to hand washing. But, they should not be used as a substitute for washing with soap and water."

Hand washing is your best defense but when you can't wash your hands like after handling those "germ" laden menus in the dining rooms it will help to protect you from some viruses.

We wash, wash , wash our hands but also use Purell.

I have never been offered hand sanitizer after reviewing the menu...therefore, after ordering dinner I excuse myself and wash my hands.

As I said before, it kills the good germs and not worth it IMHO.

I have never been offered hand sanitizer after reviewing the menu...therefore, after ordering dinner I excuse myself and wash my hands.

As I said before, it kills the good germs and not worth it IMHO.

I commend you but doubt there are very many that do get up after reviewing the menu. If everyone we come in contact with was as fastidious as you are none of us would have to worry.

We all have to base our decisions on what we feel is best for us.

I choose to believe what Purell has to say that even hand washing reduces those good germs and with either method they will regenerate very quickly.

Per Purell " Laboratory testing has never shown alcohol-based hand sanitizers like PURELL® to lead to bacterial resistance. Germs live all around us. Our bodies are covered with germs that help us stay healthy. These are considered "good" germs and, since they reside on the body, are referred to as resident germs. In addition to the good germs, we are also exposed to ones that we pick up from contact with other people or objects. These are called transient germs. It is these germs that are often responsible for making you sick. Similar to washing your hands with soap and water, PURELL® products reduce some of your resident germs while killing the transient germs. However, in both cases, your body quickly regenerates your resident germs which are generally harmless and actually important for healthy skin. "

They do, but the sanitizer is useless--it's only a bactericide, not virucide. Stupid that they don't change brands or force Purell to make a useful product.

It's not stupid, since there is no brand that is effective against viruses (noro), and the only really effective ingredients are bleach (which you don't want on your hands, unless you wash afterwards) or other chemicals that should not be ingested like vircon.