Cruising without a passport?

kugelette

What could I be hiding? That I'm on the lam and using a cruise to escape to the caribbean, and from there, maybe on to a city in South America where I could blend in among the other young, gorgeous tourists? ;)

I'd rather NOT drag all of my documentation down with me (SSC, both DL's, cert'd BC, passport, court decree, cert'd marriage cert), but it sounds like that's the way it'll have to go.

Whichever poster commented about St. John, you must not be an American citizen. Americans don't need a passport to travel to the USVI, which includes St. John.

Surprised people indicated they don't keep certified copies of these things; I find I've had to mail them out or produce them a few times.

I still don't think I heard from anyone who's actually DONE a closed-circuit cruise without the passport - anybody? Would love to know how much of a PITA it is when you're boarding and then getting on/off the ship at ports.

You asked people to help you and now you're "shooting the messenger". A number of experienced travellers have given you good advice. If you want to be prudent, fix the passport issue and if you are feeling lucky then don't.

You asked people to help you and now you're "shooting the messenger". A number of experienced travellers have given you good advice. If you want to be prudent, fix the passport issue and if you are feeling lucky then don't.

Totally agree. Asking people on Cruise Critic how HAL employees or Immigration Officials will react to a certain situation is akin to playing Russian Roulette. Eliminate all doubts, get a passport and bring proper documentation.

I'd rather NOT drag all of my documentation down with me (SSC, both DL's, cert'd BC, passport, court decree, cert'd marriage cert), but it sounds like that's the way it'll have to go.

<snip>

I still don't think I heard from anyone who's actually DONE a closed-circuit cruise without the passport - anybody? Would love to know how much of a PITA it is when you're boarding and then getting on/off the ship at ports.

A Social Security card proves nothing in relation to citizenship status; leave that in your safe deposit box at home.

You can do a closed-loop cruise with the correct documentation; people do it all the time. It's not a pain at individual ports; you wouldn't be allowed on the ship to begin with without the correct documentation. You'll need to show your documentation to get back in the U.S. at the end of the cruise.

Rather than carry multiple documents, I'd get my passport corrected. Then it'll be corrected forever (or until you change your name again ;)).

A Social Security card proves nothing in relation to citizenship status; leave that in your safe deposit box at home.

You can do a closed-loop cruise with the correct documentation; people do it all the time. It's not a pain at individual ports; you wouldn't be allowed on the ship to begin with without the correct documentation. You'll need to show your documentation to get back in the U.S. at the end of the cruise.

Rather than carry multiple documents, I'd get my passport corrected. Then it'll be corrected forever (or until you change your name again ;)).

^^ Yes, This.

Get an updated, correct passport and you will have no problems.

I wouldn't be willing to take the chance on my vacation. I would change my passport. You never know if the individual checking you in is having a good day or a bad one...and it does make a difference.

But it is your money and your vacation. We can provide all the opinions you want but it doesn't make a difference to us whether you get on the ship or not.

I alway get the notarized letter too and it HAS been looked at, not all the time, but I go back to the bad day theory.

No all women that get married take their husband's (or wife's!) last name.

Thank you for posting this. I am always surprised how out of touch people are in regards to the fact that not all women feel the need to change their surnames upon marriage.

Thank you for posting this. I am always surprised how out of touch people are in regards to the fact that not all women feel the need to change their surnames upon marriage.

Wonder how many guys would want to change their last names if the shoe was on the other foot?

Here's some information from "the source":

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1139/~/documents-needed-to-take-a-cruise

Our advice would be to update passport with name change -- it speeds update for all other name changes.

And if not, the critical document that I found that you need to have besides original birth certificate is a copy of marriage license that caused name change.

Go figure. HA is the only line I've sailed that required a notorized form for my son to cruise with me (without his father).

Every cruise line will likely require it, the same as if you are cruise with any minor who you are not the legal guardian. When I took my 12 year old niece on a cruise this summer I was worried because she didn't have a passport. The bigger issue, I learned was that both of her parents had to provide a notarized letter giving me various permissions to take her out of the US.

More details on what I learned here: http://www.travelingwiththejones.com/2014/03/19/does-a-12-year-old-need-a-passport-to-go-on-a-cruise/

I think there is more to this story than OP is telling us. All the speculating in the world here is not going to help her.

OP you either need to get a passport that matches your current name or take all the documentation with you that shows the progression from your birth name to your present name and hope they let you on the ship.

Whatever we tell you here will not stand up when you reach the port. And as we learned from the thread "Holland America Disasterdam" even what the HAL CSRs tell you will not stand up at the the port.

Terri

Without reading further, yet, yours is the best answer I've seen so far!

Joanie

I have a passport but on 3 occasions I cruised with someone who didn't. There was no PITA, she presented her bc and photo id the same as I presented my passport. Good to go. As for the name discrepancy between a bc and photo id, that isn't an uncommon scenario and should not be a problem. Just my opinion though.

When I needed a quick turn around on my passport name change I was able to walk it through the passport office in Chicago. I didn't get it back immediately, but it was less than a week. Do you live near a city with a passport office? Also, I can't claim that I know for a fact this is still an option. Rules may have changed.

Will it be problematic that the name on my birth certificate does not at all match the name on my DL? There was both a first name and last name change, so I'd be showing up with a BC that reads "Jane Doe" and a DL that says "Mary Poppins".

Here's some information from "the source":

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1139/~/documents-needed-to-take-a-cruise

Our advice would be to update passport with name change -- it speeds update for all other name changes.

And if not, the critical document that I found that you need to have besides original birth certificate is a copy of marriage license that caused name change.

I don't recall reading OP saying it was a marriage certificate that made the change. But either way, she DID say she changed both first and surnames. It just seems like that alone will add much more complexity and risk to not using a Passport.

Will it be problematic that the name on my birth certificate does not at all match the name on my DL? There was both a first name and last name change, so I'd be showing up with a BC that reads "Jane Doe" and a DL that says "Mary Poppins".

Yes, of course it is problematic.

If you have three weeks before you sail, get a new passport by paying a $60 expedited fee pls delivery charge.

What could I be hiding? That I'm on the lam and using a cruise to escape to the caribbean, and from there, maybe on to a city in South America where I could blend in among the other young, gorgeous tourists? ;)

Whichever poster commented about St. John, you must not be an American citizen. Americans don't need a passport to travel to the USVI, which includes St. John.

Surprised people indicated they don't keep certified copies of these things; I find I've had to mail them out or produce them a few times.

I really don't care why you changed both your names, but you came here for advice and only gave us bits and pieces of the story.

We are not the government officials who will be checking your documents, nor the HAL reps at the check in counters. What they will determine will be the deciding factor as to whether you get on the ship.

The more documentation you bring, the better off you are, whether you feel like it or not. Whatever we tell you here on Cruise Critic will have no bearing when you get to the pier and you cannot say, "but on cruise critic they said...." They won't want to hear it. They didn't want to hear it when Elmer Purkey told them what the HAL CSR told them his birth certificate from Germany was acceptable because his parents were US citizens. If you don't have the documentation, you run the risk of being denied boarding and losing thousands of dollars. What is more important to you? Taking the documentation or losing the money and the cruise?

So my advice to you is take everything along to document both your first and last name changes or get a new passport. Or else call the immigration or customs people to find out the requirements.

What we say here won't amount to a row of beans and it doesn't matter to me why you changed your name. People were speculating because of marriage and divorce, etc. I just said that there is more to the story than you are saying. I no way implied you are on the lam or trying to escape by cruise ship, or anything else.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri

Wonder how many guys would want to change their last names if the shoe was on the other foot?

LOL - Thirty eight years ago, when my husband was fussing that I wasn't using his name at least socially, I looked at him and said, " If it means that much to you that we have the same last name (his face is beaming at this point), please feel free to change your last name to (my last name.)"

He looked confused and blurted out,"But that's not my name!!!"

My only response was, "Exactly" as understanding slowly worked its way into his mind.

LOL - Thirty eight years ago, when my husband was fussing that I wasn't using his name at least socially, I looked at him and said, " If it means that much to you that we have the same last name (his face is beaming at this point), please feel free to change your last name to (my last name.)"

He looked confused and blurted out,"But that's not my name!!!"

My only response was, "Exactly" as understanding slowly worked its way into his mind.

Too funny.

Every cruise line will likely require it, the same as if you are cruise with any minor who you are not the legal guardian. When I took my 12 year old niece on a cruise this summer I was worried because she didn't have a passport. The bigger issue, I learned was that both of her parents had to provide a notarized letter giving me various permissions to take her out of the US.

More details on what I learned here: http://www.travelingwiththejones.com/2014/03/19/does-a-12-year-old-need-a-passport-to-go-on-a-cruise/

I took my little on a cruise to Norway a couple of years ago on Norwegian. They did not require or ask for any kind of letter from the absentee parent. I had one for flying and that was it.

I'm on my phone so can't quickly look, but thank you to the person who suggested changing the name on the booking to the passport name. Did that tonight with no trouble or fees, and won't have to worry about documents.

Sorry some people felt my sitch wasn't clear or straightforward. maybe it just struck some people weirdly. at any rate, all's well that ends well. Happy sailing.

Get a passport. It's well worth it, and doesn't expire for years. It opens doors, for example last minute bookings for trips at a good price! There's really no downside other than the nominal fee.

"Hi, I'm leaving really soon for my cruise and my passport isn't updated. Anyone cruise with a BC and DL?"

80 people: "go get a passport"

:face palm:

"Hi, I'm leaving really soon for my cruise and my passport isn't updated. Anyone cruise with a BC and DL?"

So basically you only want to hear yes, it will be fine. Who knows if it will be. Only time will tell. I just don't understand the reluctance to get a passport. Better to waste a bunch of money and not be able to get on the ship. People are trying to be helpful. Too bad you don't see it that way.

Edited by cruz chic

While you can go on a closed-circuit cruise without a passport but with a birth certificate and government id, if something should happen and you have to fly back home from a non-US territory, you will need a passport. And while the vast majority won't encounter it may happen and when you want to get home fast you might not be able to without a passport.

In the time we have spent discussing your question, you could have completed a passport application, gone to Post Office to send it overnight or if you live near a passport office, you could have been there and be well on your way to having your passport. We have heard of one or two day turnarounds on getting passports renewed.

Something to think about. We don't know your sail date or location so without those facts, we've done the best we can to help you.

Please do not blame us if you do not have the proper travel documents and are refused boarding.

Good luck. Let us know what happens.

This is a good itinerary to do without a passport. San Juan and St. Thomas are considered US so do not need a passport if you would need to fly home. Grand Turk is one day before so you could wait to fly from them. You would not disembark and fly from the private island so there is very little overall risk.

Frequent cruisers usually get passports so they can go to places that require them. The occasional Caribbean cruiser often does not get one because it can be viewed as an unnecessary expense. Our family of 5 used BC/DL our first 10 to 15 cruises and never had a problem or were slowed down.

The cruise lines require a DL and certified BC as an alternative and it will be fine as lone as your names match up.

And you do always need paperwork traveling single with a minor. We get it even taking our grandson to Florida without flying or cruising.

Enjoy your trip.

To add another dimension to this discussion: there are several states - I live in one of them - whose current drivers' license standards do not meet the Federal "Real ID" documentation standards. As a result, if such states don't change their licensing documentation requirements, those states' drivers' licenses won't be accepted to even board a domestic plane flight. Similarly, there are Federal buildings in Washington where you will be barred from entering if all you have is a drivers license from a non-compliant state. I believe that level of enforcement is due by 2016. The hub of the issue seems to be in those states that provide licenses to "undocumented" people, and the Real ID standards clash with that practice, so there is political pressure. Just saying all this to make the point that if one lives in a state affected by this, there is even more reason to get a passport, just in case the bureaucrats and legislators don't get this worked out.