We lost an hour on our cruise

TERESAh

I was on this cruise as well. For me it wasn't an issue of whether we would lose or gain an hour, it was the timing they chose to move the clock back. Daylight savings time should be changed on Sunday a.m. as is standard for all states that use D.S.T. But Princess chose to change back the time on Tuesday morning, THE DAY OF DISEMBARKATION. Correct me if I am wrong, but that is 48 hours AFTER the standard clock change.

We had no difficulty with this time change because we were diligent and read the patter the day before but we were concerned with those who don't bother reading the patter thoroughly or English is their second language. I am curious as to why Princess chose to not change the clocks at the standard time MOST people have become accustomed to.

I am curious if the ship had any difficulty with passengers who might have been confused with their disembarkation scheduled times.

Again, this was NOT an issue of changing time zones as we had one of those, as well. It is about the timing of changing the clocks back for Daylight Savings time.

Edited by iceleven

I was on this cruise as well. For me it wasn't an issue of whether we would lose or gain an hour, it was the timing they chose to move the clock back. Daylight savings time should be changed on Sunday a.m. as is standard for all states that use D.S.T. But Princess chose to change back the time on Tuesday morning, THE DAY OF DISEMBARKATION. Correct me if I am wrong, but that is 48 hours AFTER the standard clock change.

We had no difficulty with this time change because we were diligent and read the patter the day before but we were concerned with those who don't bother reading the patter thoroughly or English is their second language. I am curious as to why Princess chose to not change the clocks at the standard time MOST people have become accustomed to.

I am curious if the ship had any difficulty with passengers who might have been confused with their disembarkation scheduled times.

Again, this was NOT an issue of changing time zones as we had one of those, as well. It is about the timing of changing the clocks back for Daylight Savings time.

I wonder how those same non-patter reading, non-English speaking, non-clock reading people knew what time to be back at the ship when in port, including a little issue of port time or ship time.

I also emphasised a certain word.

Also what about all the people not from the USA on board.

And actually it is an issue of time zone, DST v EST.

Look at it this way: if the ship sailed at 5 PM on embarkation day as is normal, and returned at 7 AM on disembarkation day as is normal, BUT the clocks in the homeport were set back one hour in between...you got an extra hour of cruising! You are correct is saying that what time the clocks read onboard is irrelevant.

What I meant was that they were on the ship for the same amount of time for that week, regardless of what the clocks said, not that they were on the same amount of time as any other week. Obviously they "fell back" and gained an hour, but they'd have done it on ship or land, and it really didn't matter what day it happened.

Also, for most people, unless they live in the same time zone as the cruise port, they will gain/lose time when they fly home. :rolleyes:

They certainly did gain that hour, just on the final night of the cruise:

Look at it this way: if the ship sailed at 5 PM on embarkation day as is normal, and returned at 7 AM on disembarkation day as is normal, BUT the clocks in the homeport were set back one hour in between...you got an extra hour of cruising! You are correct is saying that what time the clocks read onboard is irrelevant.

...and after reading what I wrote, I cannot believe I am taking the time to take this seriously :D

I agree, you are too serious.

The OP did not use emoticons or any humorous or sarcastic tone whatsoever. It is entirely reasonable to conclude that they are actually that clueless to believe that if the clocks were turned back Saturday night rather than Tuesday night they would have somehow netted one extra hour onboard.

Puh leze.

I said before they've gotta be having a lend of us, this just can't be fair dinkum can it.

And I'm sure you are speaking English but I don't have a clue what you just said.:rolleyes:

OK I'll translate from Australian for you

having a lend of us = They must be having a joke at our expense

this just can't be fair dinkum can it = It's really doesn't seem possible that the attitude displayed can possibly be correct.

I am curious as to why Princess chose to not change the clocks at the standard time MOST people have become accustomed to.

Was the ship still in the waters of a country that did not change the time, such as being in Atlantic Standard time?

If I had been on this cruise, I would have been grateful. Gaining the hour on disembarkation morning would give me an extra of hour of sleep after that most awful night of any cruise (packing) -- that's when I would welcome it most. If you are an early riser, this may not apply to you -- but remember that it also gave the cabin attendants an extra hour to prepare for the busiest day of their week.

What a whinge! If you lost a whole cruise then you would have something to complain about. That did happen to us a couple of weeks ago due to two typhoon. Princess have been more than generous in compensating us for what we lost though of course there are the long flights of over 17 hours each way and our hotel expenses for the days before and after the cruise. We went half way across the world and didn't see very much. One hour to loose is nothing.

Jennie

I agree and I can't believe its gone on for three pages. I agree with Jazzbeau - I would love to have an extra hour of sleep the night before disembarkation.

I would like to ask the original poster what mathematical theory they are using to prove that Princess is cheap...?

Maybe the crew thought the ship was in Hawaiian or Arizona waters - where the time doesn't change - and then realized where they were and decided to reset the clocks.

We thought we were going to get an extra hour on our cruise due to the end of daylight savings,but Princess decided to wait to change the clocks back Tues morning , the day we got off the ship,instead of Sun We were off the Calif coast on Sun. so the clocks should have been reset then. We were on a cruise the same time a year ago,and the time was changed Sunday am. I know its only one hour, but come on Princess, don't be so cheap.
There have been cruises where I would have liked to have an extra hour on the night before disembarkation, as that tends to be a short night.

Count yourself lucky. You got the hour.

Now that I think about it Princess owes me big time because we took 2 eastbound transatlantic cruises, and 5 times the clocks were moved ahead one hour.

On the other hand, we've taken 2 westbound ta's, and we moved the clocks back one hour on 5 nights. I guess we're even so Princess doesn't owe me anything-lop!

Where in the passage contract does it show how many hours Princess owes you on a cruise? Should those who board early pay more than those who board later? They're losing precious cruise time. Should those who get off early get some obi"

This is a ridiculous thread--and yet, here I am making a reply!